DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

I know it is OffTopic, but i want to know your opinion on having as Results Type when you select between AI, Personal Best and Community Delta, to be able to selectiva World Record, Steam Friends and also would be nice a Country Results.
So you can see the splits and you can know where you are loosing some time to challenge to the WR or at least the real times.
PS: I wrote it here because it is the most readed thread, and if i would have written in Suggestions probably it would be never read by the same amount of people

I know it is OffTopic, but i want to know your opinion on having as Results Type when you select between AI, Personal Best and Community Delta, to be able to selectiva World Record, Steam Friends and also would be nice a Country Results.
So you can see the splits and you can know where you are loosing some time to challenge to the WR or at least the real times.
PS: I wrote it here because it is the most readed thread, and if i would have written in Suggestions probably it would be never read by the same amount of people
You can do it in all 3 types of competitions after finish a stage. The thing that you choose it's just what the Standings will show.

versedi said:
You can do it in all 3 types of competitions after finish a stage. The thing that you choose it's just what the Standings will show.
Yes, but i was saying about having the splits and knowing how i am doing for example in that split against porkhammer, i think it is not a difficult addon and it will be a nice touch IMO

Ohh, I was after a few yesterday just re-read your post. Split's would be really nice, I've created a poll few months back with few suggestions including split-times but it was digged deeply and never mentioned again.

versedi said:
Ohh, I was after a few yesterday just re-read your post. Split's would be really nice, I've created a poll few months back with few suggestions including split-times but it was digged deeply and never mentioned again.
Thats why I posted it here

Played some RX in Automobilista. It's so much better than the RX in Dirt Rally. Hope Reiza will someday make a Rally sim. :O If I need to compare the gravel-stuff / rx vs Dirt Rally. I still say Dirt Rally has too much grip, etc. 
looked at that game some cars sounds are amazing.

Reviving this to discuss a few things about Reiza's Automobilista and any other wannabe rally developers. I reckon that the issue is that they struggle hard to make their games simulating real life, but the gravel surfaces and the undulating structure that makes you feel that authenticity of rallying on gravel is what made CM very talented at it unlike the rest of studios including Reiza that still in culprit at differentiating between tarmac and gravel.

so you dont think thats okay ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCHuc3c1ODs

just cause you may like other car games doesnt mean we dont love dirt rally. :D

I didn't say anything like that, really. Automobilista is a pretty good simulator but the gravel surface in RX is simply dusty tarmac. If they could invest more of their time to create a rally discipline, it would give satisfying results. l really admire the physics and sounds of the cars in the game and the video you posted prevails a lot of qualities that determine a proper simulator; the turbocharger chirps and the FFB are rather satisfying.

Their suspension tech looks very good, which is one thing that dirt has always been leaps and bounds ahead of the competition

Forza Motorsport is joining the league with a free to play game on Windows 10. As far as I noticed, methinks that Windows Store Platform seems to be prevailing competition with Steam, uPlay, Origin and other cloud platforms. If only they released Horizon 2 instead. No wheel support, unfortunately. Play with arrows as you used to play NFS 2 :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGSQbc5TiWM.

@RinusRally really? This is big issue when you normally land without any impact and get a rear left puncture for no reason. Often. 

Would I be right in saying stuff made it to 1.1 that went away again?  The AntiLag etc?  Maybe the tyre update did one too?

Hey guys - We've made the tyres much less precious now, new code will be in the v1.1 update. :)

But.. but... :( 

edit: So some people don't know how to adjust/finetune their suspension and dampers than complain about tyres being to sensitive. Now Codemasters upped the strenght of the tyres. I thought we were striving for realism, not simcade/arcadeism because people can't handle their suspension and dampers. I am so sad right now. Cause it's all Blizzard-Activision all over again; dumb stuff down till you have Diablo 3.
From now on anytime you talk about how everything's fine, no one knows how to setup suspension, no one knows how to drive properly, etc, etc, and it's realistic how it is now (tires blowing left and right from landings are so totally realistic), I'm going to post this:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/310560/discussions/0/451851477885256251/#c451851477890898791

I guess if we include inflation/deflation option it would be helpful to cheer Rinus lad up a bit... 

In my opinion, it would be unfairly unrealistic to simulate every tiny element from reality in a video game; that would at least induce in me delusional issues. Wouldnt that be absurd enough to be living simulation instead of reality? It is a videogame that surely needs adjustments for entertaining purposes. Seriously, get a rally car and blow it up out of proportion if you want to enjoy reality which is rather less phantasmal than "realism"...

Rinus lad, cheer up! I think you suffer from depression.

Yeah.. If you land too hard it should be suspension damage, not tyre damage. If you want realism this is the right direction they are taking.

I think the tyres blowing like they have been doing is realistic, it still happens even in WRC today.

However, there's the edge case, and as i've gotten faster, i'm feeling it, where a comparatively regular landing will nearly always puncture; last night i ran the Countryman through the same Finland stage to get the delta achievement, same jump, everytime, left rear puncture, it wasn't even a massively hard landing, it was controlled.

Either way, and i'd love for @Hatward to give us some details here, i think the method unto which it 'collected' damage was part of the problem, i'm hoping they implemented something similar to my suggestion quite some time back.

I wonder if this tyre fix is not only to refine the way the cars react to landings, but to put us over until they fix the car physics over jumps... because let's be real, the bursting of tires is partially due to the low-gravity air we get in Finland. What else could we expect if a car goes up instead of forwards? 

i asked about the tyres on twitter just before this so happy. will drive finland more often.

i get what some are saying but popping like balloons isnt fun.

I think the tyres blowing like they have been doing is realistic, it still happens even in WRC today.
Really? We are talking about landings here and not just in general? In that case it shouldn't be hard finding instances of people blowing tires on landings, do you have any links? I can't recall ever watching coverage and seeing someone have a blow-out from landing. Other than the tweet BrySkye found a while back (here) about Gronholm getting one from landing (in 2014) I don't know of any instances of this happening. So yes, it can happen. With the frequency and ease it happens in game? No.

Steady on, I'm agreeing with the need to improve tyres.
Now we know that they basically added an impact rating to the damage model for landing, I think we'll be in good stead. 

Now we know that they basically added an impact rating to the damage model for landing, I think we'll be in good stead. 
Where, how, did I missed something?

Oh, sorry I followed up on @RinusRally tweet and ask Darren and Paul some of the details.

Short version, what I said above, and Darren is going to give us a general bug fix update in the road book this week :)

versedi said:
@RinusRally really? This is big issue when you normally land without any impact and get a rear left puncture for no reason. Often. 
I have to agree, in my other thread when I was trying to set a top 50 time at Finland in the Focus I was getting punctures like crazy.  I wasn't landing in ditches and I did slow for the bigger jumps, it was really aggravating and seemed pretty random.  I had better runs that would have got me an even better time, but suffered from punctures and had to quit/restart many times.  You should get punctures when you land in ditches, sideswipe rocks or walls, but just landing bigger jumps shouldn't do it.  You see struts get pushed through the body way more than you do tires blow from landings in WRC.

Also one thing to consider is that the jumps in Finland are quite exaggerated. If the stages were more realistic in lenght and the elevation profile Maybe it wouldnt be such an issue with current model.