Jump to content
DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

 

Message added by PJTierney

Recommended Posts

I think it is not a problem of the elevation profile. The jumps with v1 were much more realistic and normal, you didnt suffer punctures because you didnt jump as a rocket, in the ss that the First split is flat out and you have the massive jumps you Fly like 5m from the ground or more and that is impossible, you can check it with meeke ouninpohja onboard he jump a lot less. And he isnt jumping constantly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gheeD said:
Also one thing to consider is that the jumps in Finland are quite exaggerated. If the stages were more realistic in lenght and the elevation profile Maybe it wouldnt be such an issue with current model.
Yea. A shame really. Compare that to Colins Crest in Sweden that actually seem like it's been toned down compared to the real thing. 
The exagerated jumps/elevations in Finland is why it's one of my least favourite in the game. There really is no flow, you basically just bounce around the stage as the big jumps often lands you in the middle of the next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think it is not a problem of the elevation profile. The jumps with v1 were much more realistic and normal, you didnt suffer punctures because you didnt jump as a rocket, in the ss that the First split is flat out and you have the massive jumps you Fly like 5m from the ground or more and that is impossible, you can check it with meeke ouninpohja onboard he jump a lot less. And he isnt jumping constantly
V1 cars had more downforce and were grounded, the jumps were designed around those values, which worked.  Cars then evolved & got V2 but the road stayed the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It's not the stage design that's the problem, it's the aerodynamics in the game which don't simulate correctly, which leads to the cars flying a bit more than they should.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Waiting for the little Corsa to join my beloved garage corps. :)

RBR was a proper rally simulator but it didnt have tyres being popped after every big crest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gfRally said:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCPg4gTOOJd/
Members of DiRT Rally at Australia... Maybe they are measuring some stages  :p
Does anyone recognize any of these guys?  Do we have confirmation that they are on the art team?  If so, this is pretty good gossip.

I Can only make a link with Molly Taylor and Kevin Abbring ;-)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If this means I will stop getting punctures from hitting the snowbanks in Sweden and Monte Carlo at snail speed, I'm more than happy for it.

Furthermore, I don't mind getting a puncture when I land on something that obviously can pierce through the tire, which is the most common reason for punctures IRL. Problem is, in DR we're alone on the stage as there was no car driving ahead of us (and behind), so naturally the stages are clean from any debris that could cause the puncture, therefore landing on a road should not cause a puncture. Unless we're talking about the longest jump taken at a ridiculous speed with a hard landing, then... yeah, maybe. But then I expect the suspension to collapse, not just a puncture on a tire. It's not hard to look for some photos and videos of WRC cars being literally destroyed almost beyond recognition and tires would usually be the only piece that was left "intact". As in no punctures. Where that wheel was is a completely different story xD

The worst thing about the damage system though, is that the jumps hurt you a lot, while the crashes... not as much as they should. I think that it would be closer to realistic behavior if the jumps would have a lot less impact on the car (apart from the suspension) while the crashes had a lot bigger. In other words, less penalizing for fast driving, more for screwing up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dgeesi0 said:
so you dont think thats okay ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCHuc3c1ODs

just cause you may like other car games doesnt mean we dont love dirt rally. :D

That turbo whizzle tho... Why can't we have that on our Audi? I'd play the shait out of that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
New workaround I detected from a guy in my friendlist; he just F4 the game when he f*cked it up. No matter what, and he is okay with going back to stage 1, 3, etc. to achieve the best times. So I this new trick from Codies isn't working. I suggest a total lock out if you F4 it or whatever. 

Agreed. No retry should mean exactly that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
New workaround I detected from a guy in my friendlist; he just F4 the game when he f*cked it up. No matter what, and he is okay with going back to stage 1, 3, etc. to achieve the best times. So I this new trick from Codies isn't working. I suggest a total lock out if you F4 it or whatever. 
Hmm...that's annoying. Are you enabling any of the stages in your events as checkpoints? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hatward said:
New workaround I detected from a guy in my friendlist; he just F4 the game when he f*cked it up. No matter what, and he is okay with going back to stage 1, 3, etc. to achieve the best times. So I this new trick from Codies isn't working. I suggest a total lock out if you F4 it or whatever. 
Hmm...that's annoying. Are you enabling any of the stages in your events as checkpoints? 
A decently simple solution would be to just allow on single Alt-F4 per checkpoint, more and you get thrown out of the event.

So if it's a checkpoint on SS3, and I Alt-F4 on SS5 I go back to SS3. But if I Alt-F4 again on SS4 after that I get an immediate resignation. That way you can do an emergency Alt-F4 without fucking up your complete event while stopping the Alt-F4 abuse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dytut said:
Hatward said:
New workaround I detected from a guy in my friendlist; he just F4 the game when he f*cked it up. No matter what, and he is okay with going back to stage 1, 3, etc. to achieve the best times. So I this new trick from Codies isn't working. I suggest a total lock out if you F4 it or whatever. 
Hmm...that's annoying. Are you enabling any of the stages in your events as checkpoints? 
A decently simple solution would be to just allow on single Alt-F4 per checkpoint, more and you get thrown out of the event.

So if it's a checkpoint on SS3, and I Alt-F4 on SS5 I go back to SS3. But if I Alt-F4 again on SS4 after that I get an immediate resignation. That way you can do an emergency Alt-F4 without fucking up your complete event while stopping the Alt-F4 abuse.

What do you really need Alt-F4 for? You can always pause the game if you must. But if you crash, you crash. Go on regardless or retire, that's my view. So I'm with RinusRally here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
YoMrWhite said:
Dytut said:
Hatward said:
New workaround I detected from a guy in my friendlist; he just F4 the game when he f*cked it up. No matter what, and he is okay with going back to stage 1, 3, etc. to achieve the best times. So I this new trick from Codies isn't working. I suggest a total lock out if you F4 it or whatever. 
Hmm...that's annoying. Are you enabling any of the stages in your events as checkpoints? 
A decently simple solution would be to just allow on single Alt-F4 per checkpoint, more and you get thrown out of the event.

So if it's a checkpoint on SS3, and I Alt-F4 on SS5 I go back to SS3. But if I Alt-F4 again on SS4 after that I get an immediate resignation. That way you can do an emergency Alt-F4 without fucking up your complete event while stopping the Alt-F4 abuse.

What do you really need Alt-F4 for? You can always pause the game if you must. But if you crash, you crash. Go on regardless or retire, that's my view. So I'm with RinusRally here.
I'm not really comfortable with leaving the game on using shitloads of electricity and running all the fans at full load for hours (or even days) when a sudden family emergency comes up. Sometimes the computer I use as my gaming computer needs to be used for other things. Suffice to say, I bet there are a lot of us who really need to be able to Alt-F4 in the middle of a league or monthly event once or twice per month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dytut said:
  I'm not really comfortable with leaving the game on using shitloads of electricity and running all the fans at full load for hours (or even days) when a sudden family emergency comes up. Sometimes the computer I use as my gaming computer needs to be used for other things. Suffice to say, I bet there are a lot of us who really need to be able to Alt-F4 in the middle of a league or monthly event once or twice per month.
I don't mind being able to save and quit in between, as I usually have my own share of "family emergencies". And my computer is used for other things, too. I just think that you shouldn't be able to gain an advantage on others by quitting the game this way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The only reason I usually need to Alt+F4 is when for whatever reason my internet has a moment and the time upload/leaderboard download gets stuck. I get into a loop of 'can't connect' -> I press ok, it retries -> 'can't connect' -> etc. Only way to get back to the menus is to quit out and restart (unless there's another way I'm missing?). In fact, this happened to me in the wager today - had to alt+f4 out and my time wasn't recorded. Goodbye 200000 credits :(

Feels unfair in these cases, so a single alt+f4 followed by insta-retire if you do it again seems to make sense. It's not ideal though. I suppose if you think of situations like that as a random mechanical failure or something that would force you to retire, then the no-quitting-whatsoever system is just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yawn...           

No Gossip...   What did we run out of ice cream????  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I really hope the team get the BAFTA, it's well deserved from the others in the category. It will probably go to rocket league though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will there be any Codemasters presence at Lydden Hill for the second round of the British Rallycross Championship (at the end of March) @KickUp, or only at the World round? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×