DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

@urgaffel 

Don't know if you can elaborate, but is this "smoke and dust" a particle system or sprites?  It my limited knowledge, maybe these are one in the same?

Hopefully 'Hardcore Mode' is coming after all?? @KickUp had said he'd quite like to have that....

@KevM i would guess this will be a wait and see thing.  If the console community crys for it then it may be worth while.  

I always wanted a lot more smoke/dust/dirt flying when you crashed at the right time, especially rolling the car.  Bumper covers coming off or hanging loose easier at least.

There are some subtle tweaks to sounds, but what exactly is wrong with the evo?
It sound closer to a Car without turbo, and its anti lag is nearly unhearable which is what you hear the most in that cars https://youtu.be/2WaR1Ce6wCM i think that they are unreal

So, the tweaks i understand we're getting are based on the 'filters' as to how much of each of the sound components you get in each camera view.

Understand that;
1) That vid you posted was for Evo 9.
2) The car in game is the Evo 10.
3) The car in game sounds were sampled from an Evo 10.
4) The in game vid you posted is full of turbo sounds and they play well.
5) If you're driving from in car, you'll lose a lot of those external sounds, try from the chase and bonnet cams.
6) There is only so much ALS sound you can get with the game engine*

That last point, that's where the tweaked sound filters that i believe @soundfx has sorted for the 1.1 patch will come in, more of the ALS sounds will make it through to cabin 'view' :)

Are you saying that an Evo X sounds exactly that in the game?
Sounds like no turbo in that engine! Please it dont sound near to an Evo, and I know that it was an Evo IX but if you let the Car in the game idling it dont sound like that one and the difference in sounds between the IX and the X isnt that big. The engine is similar and the concept is the same.
I prefer DiRT 3 sounds for the Evo.
Watch this and then watch the ingame video
https://youtu.be/0dAXqXl-CiQ

1)  You can't say the in game Evo doesn't sound like an Evo, it literally *is* an Evo.
2) See my point number 4.
3) The vid you just posted above contains no turbo sounds (other than the results of the ALS)
4) See my point number 6 above, that's the main thing missing i'm afraid, and it's part limitation of the game/sound engine at the moment.  

Also see the last comment i made, they are tweaking the sound filters a little to add a little more ALS.

So I'm back from my week's skiing, didn't cause myself any permanent damage*, and I'm now ready for Dirt in just over a week!

*I say permanent damage as there were many moments were I feared for my clumsy life. Falling and smashing through large chunks of frozen solid snow at high speed is incredibly painful!

1)  You can't say the in game Evo doesn't sound like an Evo, it literally *is* an Evo.
2) See my point number 4.
3) The vid you just posted above contains no turbo sounds (other than the results of the ALS)
4) See my point number 6 above, that's the main thing missing i'm afraid, and it's part limitation of the game/sound engine at the moment.  

Also see the last comment i made, they are tweaking the sound filters a little to add a little more ALS.
Yeah, well, the sounds are recorded from a real Evo X. Except that it wasn't a R4 Evo... http://youtu.be/4Nnxm7vSnJ4

Sadly I have to admit that the real R4 sounds quite a lot different than that. I understand that Codies had to make a compromise with this car because they had recorded a Evo X but unfortunately it doesn't sound like the R4 at all. 

Also, since we're now talking about the ingame Evo X, the engine is wrong in my opinion too. I know that a real R4 doesn't rev basically at all above 5500-6000rpm. The one we have ingame easily revs over 7000rpm though. The car should have basically all of its torque at that about 5000rpm range and then there should either be a rev limiter after that or it should just basically die in terms of power.

Oh well, hopefully we'll see a DiRT Rally 2 and have things like this relooked at.

I personally would like to see a summer pack for Sweden and Monte Carlo. Shouldn't be too hard for Monte, since it's obvious there's definitely tarmac under the snow cover, tree textures would probably be the main issue. Sweden would most likely be the bigger challenge. It's not like creating a completely new location, just changing the graphical assets and road surface, so more like the all gravel version of Pikes Peak in that regard.
Maybe also a Winter pack for other locations if possible.

Any chance we could see something like that in a future, be it as an update or DLC? @Hatward @KickUp 

I personally would like to see a summer pack for Sweden and Monte Carlo. Shouldn't be too hard for Monte, since it's obvious there's definitely tarmac under the snow cover, tree textures would probably be the main issue. Sweden would most likely be the bigger challenge. It's not like creating a completely new location, just changing the graphical assets and road surface, so more like the all gravel version of Pikes Peak in that regard.
Maybe also a Winter pack for other locations if possible.

Any chance we could see something like that in a future, be it as an update or DLC? @Hatward @KickUp 
Yes. Lets add snow to wales so we can drive the Mid Wales Stages from the BRC

gfRally said:
@urgaffel 

Don't know if you can elaborate, but is this "smoke and dust" a particle system or sprites?  It my limited knowledge, maybe these are one in the same?
They are the same, sort of. Particle systems use sprites :)

urgaffel said:
gfRally said:
@urgaffel 

Even Nvidia's newest Flow?

urgaffel said:
gfRally said:
@urgaffel 

Are you going to make it so when the cars driving away you don't get that weird ability to see the back of the car and the new dust being kicked up?

Jepsertti said:
Sadly I have to admit that the real R4 sounds quite a lot different than that. I understand that Codies had to make a compromise with this car because they had recorded a Evo X but unfortunately it doesn't sound like the R4 at all. 

Also, since we're now talking about the ingame Evo X, the engine is wrong in my opinion too. I know that a real R4 doesn't rev basically at all above 5500-6000rpm. The one we have ingame easily revs over 7000rpm though. The car should have basically all of its torque at that about 5000rpm range and then there should either be a rev limiter after that or it should just basically die in terms of power.

Oh well, hopefully we'll see a DiRT Rally 2 and have things like this relooked at.
Yeah, this is true, though i have to say that i will take the RX version over another vehicle subbing for it.  I know that the rally version revs lower, though i didn't know the details, i know that the 07 focus has the wrong gear count too.  I'm not 100% certain how the sound system works and i know @soundfx did some work to bring down the used revs of the sound to more closely match the revs in game, but if they're too high as well, i think Dave's options are more limited here.

...i know that the 07 focus has the wrong gear count too.
Just to set the record straight, even though the official WRC Focus had a 5-speed gearbox, the one that was sourced by Codemasters had a 6-speed gearbox. Information from Hatward when I talked to him about that "bug".

This was what he told me:                                                   

Perhaps the one used for the model was Perez's, but another one was recorded for the sounds. Therefore, for the sounds to be accurate, it had to be a 6-speed in-game.

Ahh ok, well that certainly answers it, i do remember them tweeting to Steve Perez afterwards about what it *should* have, the handling dept. were asking.

I personally don't care either way, it's just another one of those things.  You're damned if you do, damned if you don't, it's a problem once you start doing realism, the slightest thing starts getting noticed.

urgaffel said:
gfRally said:
@urgaffel 

Even Nvidia's newest Flow?
Flow is volumetric so it doesn' use sprites no. But at the moment, true volumetric rendering is too slow for games, especially if you're targeting 60fps. You can fake volumetric but you're still usnig a sprite.
JZStudios said:
urgaffel said:
gfRally said:
@urgaffel 

Are you going to make it so when the cars driving away you don't get that weird ability to see the back of the car and the new dust being kicked up?
Yes/no/maybe ;)