DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

So Rocket league won the sports Bafta award instead of Dirt Rally. Alright.  :|
No surprise here. RL's player base is huge.
And the online competition aspect of DiRT Rally is not only barely existing but also highly cheater infested. In Rocket League you not only have basically online mode as the main thing, but Ladder system competition and even professional tournaments. That all adds massively towards getting an award, especially for a sports game.

KevM said:
Who is he, what's he do?                                       
I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of pages in the first half of this thread are discussing hints and snippets left for us by Lee online!

Well, yet again, this isn't really gossip, but i'm determined to move this thread off the 4th page!!

If you leave the game at the "Press any key" screen and wait about a minute, you get the full length version of the 1.0 release trailer and music video with lots of very nicely framed and slow motion cars :)

Just saw this on Twitter, I assume that DR did well on sales (at least in UK):

UK Video Game Charts (Week ending Apr 9):

1. Quantum Break
2. DiRT Rally
3. The Division
4. FIFA 16
5. Far Cry Primal

Azoresst said:
Just saw this on Twitter, I assume that DR did well on sales (at least in UK):

UK Video Game Charts (Week ending Apr 9):

1. Quantum Break
2. DiRT Rally
3. The Division
4. FIFA 16
5. Far Cry Primal
I expect the next week will have Dark Souls 3 on the 1st spot. Will be interesting to see how well DR will be keeping up then.

According to Eurogamer (UK sales):

"Chart-Track said Dirt Rally beat launch week sales of 2012's Dirt Showdown by 197 per cent. But it's third in launch week sales terms compared to other games in Dirt series, behind Colin McRae: Dirt 2 and Dirt 3."

But the sales charts are only for physical copies, the digital market for consoles is bigger now then when DiRT 2 and 3 were released.

Azoresst said:
According to Eurogamer (UK sales):

"Chart-Track said Dirt Rally beat launch week sales of 2012's Dirt Showdown by 197 per cent. But it's third in launch week sales terms compared to other games in Dirt series, behind Colin McRae: Dirt 2 and Dirt 3."

But the sales charts are only for physical copies, the digital market for consoles is bigger now then when DiRT 2 and 3 were released.

Another point to remember is the budget for all three games, with Dirt Rally being significantly less than the two previous games. So although it might lack in sales, it may make up for it in return on investment

Seems DiRT Rally has been doing well enough for Codemasters to grow again!
http://blog.codemasters.com/community/04/codemasters-welcomes-the-team-from-evolution-studios/

I'm sure I'll have some gossip after having Paul sat next to me all day on a rally next month ;) 
Nice tactic.

"If you want me to use the brake, confirm you'll be adding a Peugeot 206 next month".

Like it ;)

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-04-05-evolution-studios-joins-codemasters-hocking-becomes-vp-of-product

I'm sure I'll have some gossip after having Paul sat next to me all day on a rally next month ;) 
Be really funny if he did his 'Im Bored, go faster' tone of voice for the whole event :p 

Try and scare him!! :)

http://blog.codemasters.com/community/04/codemasters-welcomes-the-team-from-evolution-studios/
Thats great news. Maybe they can be helpful of incorporating some motorstom features into dirt rally. Like track deformation.

I guess I end up always posting a bunch of questions, I'm not going to stop with this gossip!  It maybe too early since Sony very recently 'dumped' Evolution Studios.  But here goes..

Will the team be integrated into current teams, or will they reform their own team to work on separate titles?  
What about their track record with Drive Club, great game, but terrible launch.
Has DR and F1 really pumped a lot of $$ into Codies?  I have my doubts about F1 sales, also seems early with DR sales just coming in.
How big of a change is this going to effect future titles? good/bad?

I don't like discussing or gossiping about CM financial state, but with the downsizing of about 18months ago, I think its a interesting topic.

If they are to be integrated into current teams and bring their tech over to share, then this could be a very cool thing!  We all have discussed the EVO engine needing updated with some modern(?) features (cough cough REPLAYS - selfish want).  Drive Club had some pretty awesome tech in it and the artists made it even better.  It will be cool to see how this pans out.

These questions are probably NOT going to be answered by CM, nor should they really, but I think this thread is the place to talk about it.

Id love to see a DiRT Rally/DriveClub lovechild...

It could be a beautiful thing!

Thats awesome news! :D Guess i missed a lot while i was in Ireland for the ERC Rally :O

Great news about Evo Studios merging with Codies! Or was it more of a bail-out?

I guess the timing is perfect as Codies seem to be bouncing back with DiRT Rally, hopefully a much more feature full and solid F1 2016 and some unfortunate restructuring.

Evo Studios probably couldn't put a big price on their operation as they were in a tough situation.

Hopefully, all of this will managed well to make use of a group of very talented developers with passion for racing and motorsport. It would have been awesome if best bits of Codies games and tech were combined with the undeniably pretty visuals of Evo's Driveclub.

A new racing IP? My hope is that at least one of the projects will be a DiRT Rally successor, with more of the conent, with more work on the physics and more on multiplayer features.

Exciting times for Codies - I'm really happy to see them on a good path :)

As much as I love Dirt, I also love grid, it was the game that convinced me to buy an xbox 360, and probably the game I've played most out of any other. So I'm glad to see it mentioned in that blog post, as hopefully it will see a revival. Hopefully all this means good things for future Codemasters games.

On another similar note, do you think we could be seeing a whole new game engine being developed? I'm a bit lost on where they are with ego at the moment, as Dirt rally didn't use F1's, and instead used an older one which was basically re designed. was the F1 engine new for the last game?

could be amazing just hopefully it doesn't mess with the team behind dirt rally. keep them as they are build from there.

welcome to the evo guys.

On another similar note, do you think we could be seeing a whole new game engine being developed? I'm a bit lost on where they are with ego at the moment, as Dirt rally didn't use F1's, and instead used an older one which was basically re designed. was the F1 engine new for the last game?
One of the biggest changes to the F1 engine was the current gen console support. I believe they used an improved version of the GRID Autosport engine for DiRT Rally, looking at the grass tech at Lydden confirms this somehow.
But since the DiRT Rally engine now also supports PS4 and Xbox One, I'm lost as well...

One of the biggest changes to the F1 engine was the current gen console support. I believe they used an improved version of the GRID Autosport engine for DiRT Rally, looking at the grass tech at Lydden confirms this somehow.
But since the DiRT Rally engine now also supports PS4 and Xbox One, I'm lost as well...
Yeah, it also uses the hanging dust effect on rallycross that was used to make hanging tyre smoke in Grid autosport's drift events.

I remember them saying that something about the latest F1 engine just wouldn't work with what they wanted to achieve with Dirt Rally, so the ended up diving into an old engine and basically picking apart to code.

I dont think DR engine needs overhauled or that its old, just some fundamental features that have been missing.  Some features that have never been in any CM title that other racing titles have long had now. 

Probably this is going to affect Grid and F1 more than DR.

gfRally said:
I dont think DR engine needs overhauled or that its old, just some fundamental features that have been missing.  Some features that have never been in any CM title that other racing titles have long had now. 

Probably this is going to affect Grid and F1 more than DR.
The problem is more if the engine is limited. I know what we have in Dirt Rally is absolutely amazing, but if the engine is limiting the next game - such as not being able to introduce longer stages, terrain deformation, more stages etc. - then the engine will need an overhaul to keep the next game fresh