DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

I had a exciting email earlier today. As you can imagine I can't talk about it, but it was a nice surprise. 
#ThatEmail

Couldn't find a video thread (and this isn't a Replay so shouldn't be in the Replay thread) so I may as well post here.

Was pretty happy with this run :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVCdiuPFR4I

PJTierney said:
Couldn't find a video thread (and this isn't a Replay so shouldn't be in the Replay thread) so I may as well post here.
Still qualifies as a replay for everyone that is watching this. It's only not a replay when you're actually recording it :p 

Also, main page is down, as in it redirects to the codemasters.com. Wonder what they're up to?

With the good news that Codemasters added to people from Evolution Studios  to their team, we can dream about big things!

Just a quick introduction what the team from Evolution Studios achieved:
They made the games:
2001: World Rally Championship
2002: WRC II Extreme
2003: WRC 3
2004: WRC 4
2005: WRC: Rally Evolved
2014: Driveclub

They are talented guys that love rally / motorsport!
Just a small note about the last game the team made;

Driveclub; The game's tracks and environments are inspired by real places in diverse regions across the globe, such as Norway and India.
Driveclub features dynamic weather such as rain and snow, and a day-night cycle. Each rain drop has realistic behaviour.

With that said, Codemasters added a lot of knowledge to their games!

Imagine
this: The WRC license of 2017 that combined with more real rallystage,… Dynamic weather, road deformation,…. That all in one Simulation game,…
This with the Carreer mode I have mentioned before,… ( http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/43/idea-wrc-ultimate-rallyteam-explained/p1 )
this must be godly…. And then the WRC license isnt a must! :o

I can see myself already driving in the R2, R3 or R5 rally cars on real stages with Dynamic weather and ground deformation,….. in that case DiRT Rally is just the beginning of a new amazing rally serie!

I cant wait what the plans are for the next rally game titel! :O #Excited!!! :# B)

What do you think about this amazing news?

I am really stoked about the news of Evolution Studio earlier this week,

Look at this post of mine,... i think there is a lot to gossip about !!
http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/40821/dirty-future-gossip?new=1

I absolutely adored playing their WRC titles growing up, and I loved Driveclub, too. They really are a talented bunch, and I would love to see a proper WRC project happen from a merged team bursting with passion for rally. 

It was clear to see in Evo's WRC games the love and dedication pouring out onto the screen as you played it. Like with Driveclub on PS4, their WRC games were some of the best looking games on the PS2. The content was authentic and cared for, and they managed to make an accessible game whilst keeping the hardcore souls happy. 

This new dream team can do great things! 

Definitely, the fusion of two geniuses would simply result to creativity and loyalty in making quality racing games. I haven't tried the PS2 WRC games, I am so delighted to turn the console on and try them out; they are very rich in content.

Just a quick update in and amongst the gossip, as I've seen it's been mentioned here. ;) dirtgame.com is down until around 1pm GMT today, for updates to the DR and RaceNet websites. The changes we're pushing live include various bugfixes, updating the supported peripherals list, and adding lengths to stage names (i.e. long or short - this was quite a popular request from you guys). If anything changes, I'll keep you posted - but just in case you were wondering!

Someone forgot about Motorstorm... and Motorstorm Pacific Rift... and Motorstorm Arctic Edge... and Motorstorm Apocalypse. Oh, and Motorstorm RC. Basically speaking, all of the games they made for PS3 :p 

Personally I think that even though they'll most likely be working on another continuation of TOCA, just like GRID was (or maybe a game solely based on the FIA WRX license), the tech that they'll help develop will be used across all of the Codemasters titles.
You've to forget that all the graphical stuff in Driveclub were that much that the game was locked on 30 fps with dips.
With what? I think we all know that you have a great hate towards everything that isn't a "hardcore simulation", but that doesn't mean you can just spout nonsense. DriveClub has butter smooth stable 30FPS frame rate. Never drops below 30FPS. In fact they even mentioned that they went for 30FPS because they couldn't achieve stable 60FPS... with the same graphical quality and resolution.

Here's a frame rate test from Digital Foundry. Seriously, haters these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh6L_jyz64Y

I think 30 will be the peak on current gen consoles.  The Xbox struggles to keep up with DiRT as it is.

A moderate PC would destroy my Xbox

I don't think 30 frames per seconds is acceptable for any game...

Regardless, according to an interview I read Evolution Studios keeps it's name and it's office and will be working separate from the rest of Codemasters on their own games so I don't expect much overlap.

chukonu said:
To elaborate on your comment, which is what I think you meant to say, is that 30 fps is unacceptable if the framerate is due to poor optimisation on either the console's part or the dev's part. In Driveclub's case the framrate issues are down to the latest consoles being outdated before they were even released.

On the other hand, 30 fps is acceptable if it's a legitimate creative choice, to give the game a cinematic effect, to contribute to the experience and atmosphere of the game. 

chukonu said:
To elaborate on your comment, which is what I think you meant to say, is that 30 fps is unacceptable if the framerate is due to poor optimisation on either the console's part or the dev's part. In Driveclub's case the framrate issues are down to the latest consoles being outdated before they were even released.

On the other hand, 30 fps is acceptable if it's a legitimate creative choice, to give the game a cinematic effect, to contribute to the experience and atmosphere of the game. 
No, I meant that 30 fps is just unacceptable. Meaning I wouldn't buy any game that has a locked framerate of 30 regardless of wether it was a design decision (which I doubt) or if my hardware can handle it.

I've got no problem with a game being 30fps as long as it is locked at it. Its games that try to achieve 60 but run anywhere from 60 down to 30 that are awful to play. Or anything Milestone create that is locked at 30 and still drops constantly

chukonu said:
chukonu said:

No, I meant that 30 fps is just unacceptable. Meaning I wouldn't buy any game that has a locked framerate of 30 regardless of wether it was a design decision (which I doubt) or if my hardware can handle it.
Interesting opinion. 

For performance games, like any form of motorsport, I would prefer to have 60 fps. However, for anything that isn't sport and doesn't require reflexes, I'd be okay with 30 fps if it's intended. There are many great games that have ran at 30 fps that I would never shut out just because they were not 60 fps. I actually think general cinematics look odd at 60 fps. 

urgaffel said:
JZStudios said:
urgaffel said:
enamel said:
I just got back from holiday. Did I miss anything?
Evolution Studios have joined Codemasters. It's quite exciting.
Is it as exciting as whatever that smoke thing you were working on?
Nothing is as exciting as playing with FumeFX! (but it's quite exciting to see what they can bring to the table :D)
I smell research on the horizon.

Seems like somebody misused the fumeFX and grilled his sausage. Behold the smell! :)

For performance games, like any form of motorsport, I would prefer to have 60 fps. However, for anything that isn't sport and doesn't require reflexes, I'd be okay with 30 fps if it's intended. There are many great games that have ran at 30 fps that I would never shut out just because they were not 60 fps. I actually think general cinematics look odd at 60 fps. 
I switched to PC, because I couldn't take cody games running at 30fps anymore.

I'm a console gamer at heart. So a lot of gamepad, arcade stick & steering wheel.

FPS with RPG element? Banned in my library. :)

Darhour said:
Seems like somebody misused the fumeFX and grilled his sausage. Behold the smell! :)
Looking into it, it could be pretty exciting. Didn't see a whole lot of real time simulations though, but I'm sure urgaffel will pull magic out.

JZStudios said:
Darhour said:
Looking into it, it could be pretty exciting. Didn't see a whole lot of real time simulations though, but I'm sure urgaffel will pull magic out.
Yeah, pretty soon. Gossips do always prevail themselves after all.

Darhour said:
JZStudios said:
Darhour said:
Yeah, pretty soon. Gossips do always prevail themselves after all.
I just wonder if it'll be for DR or a future title.

Hmm, with the timing, it *could* be either, long enough after launch for them to have figures enough to start planning possible DLC, but by the same timing, for planning the next installment.

They seemingly had plans for a new game apart from the console release which took them time to port the game to consoles..