DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Maybe it's Dirty from me, but it's gossip.

gRally has a brand new website. You can read some of it's features there too: http://grally.net/

I am hyped. Too bad they still didn't email me. :( 
Don't get to excited! Since 2009 that they first announced the game. When AND IF it comes out it will be totally outdated. It's a shame unfortunatelly
Yeah I checked out the beta, extremely bare bones and already looks/sounds very outdated.

austinb said:

As we have discussed before on here, true dynamic terrain deforming is probably unlikely, a much more time efficient way (and far less demanding processing wise) would be to create separate stage profiles for different levels of use.

Just like circuit games have dirty - fully rubbered in versions of the same tracks. The next dirt game could have various versions of stages. This would potentially be the same stage with the physical model changed to simulate rutting etc and grip level changes.

The same method could be used to add larger puddles and ruts to replicate a “heavy rain” weather condition. Which includes vast physical changes of the surface not just visual rain and less grip.  

And that would result in going backwards to be honest. It's quite honestly not different from the "scripted events". They are impressive first time you see them, but once you realise they are scripted... it all goes away. In time you'll recognise each pattern in a matter of few corners and will be aiming for the best layout when it comes to getting times.
In other words, you would be wasting a lot of time to create some half-assed illusion of terrain deformation. At that point I would prefer more content without that, rather than less with it.

Besides, dynamic terrain deformation is not that hard nowadays. Even Rise of the Tomb Raider has it. With tessellation a lot of things become possible. It's more of a matter of implementing the necessary tech for it in the engine and then applying it accordingly in the track creation. Much less time consuming than creating few versions of a track.

RallyDriven said:
There was mention of early new handling being developed that already made dirt rally look 'old school'. 
Now that's a concept I'd like to test....

In short, the next game will take the basis left behind from dirt rally. it may be a sequel, it may be something a bit unique and different, but it will take forward the ideas from dirt rally. There was mention of early new handling being developed that already made dirt rally look 'old school'. Paul also mentioned increased production value of the game, so I'm guessing they will get the budget to produce something with the exterior qualities of previous dirt games, such as a more detailed career, soundtracks, menus and everything else. Which is one thing that I think Dirt rally misses slightly.
I'll take anything Paul and his team make... but I always pray that someone in management won't tell them to make it "less hardcore to make it more accessible to a wider audience"

I hope they understand that DR is successful because it is DR, not because it's something different.

The stages should be rendered narrower, narrower and narrower to irritate the audience and make them abide by rallying fanaticism. :)

Darhour said:
The stages should be rendered narrower, narrower and narrower to irritate the audience and make them abide by rallying fanaticism. :)
Place: Black hole, stage: event horizon.  Its really fast and narrow! 

I'll take anything Paul and his team make... but I always pray that someone in management won't tell them to make it "less hardcore to make it more accessible to a wider audience"

I hope they understand that DR is successful because it is DR, not because it's something different.
This really scares me. I hope management doesn't ignore the actual player response to the game in favor of just numbers. 

I still believe they could do a Forza type deal. Have DiRT 4 come out next with better simcade physics, (DiRT 3 was kind of weird) and then do a DR2 or something after, and make it a cycle. I'd buy both. Right now Dirt 3 is pretty good for when I'm too tired to actually put effort into playing.

KevM said:
RallyDriven said:
There was mention of early new handling being developed that already made dirt rally look 'old school'. 
Now that's a concept I'd like to test....
as would many  :)                                                                                                                                                                                          

It's been reported that the evo studios guys will be starting work in their next project at the end of the month

hmmm and the project is..........                                                           

dgeesi0 said:
hmmm and the project is..........                                                           

probably interesting ( for us) :D *trolling*  :P

i got a funny feeling the next game will come not too long and maybe like the older dirt titles while the next one "we" want is a bit down the road.

one thing that i would hope is more locations added in dlc packs for dirt rally. many would buy and the game is selling well. so it should be worth it financially. the thing is is it worth it for the team to put them out as dlc or save for new game or extend the playability of the current game so long.                                                         

We’ve been told it takes codies a long time to completely create a stage, and although we had a nice stream of new locations in the EA period, we know they had been in development for a year or two on top of that. My thought is that if they are planning to release a sequel of some form in 2 years or so, they likely wont be able to create more than 5 ish new locations.

So I can see why they may want to save any they make for the next title rather than releasing a new location as dlc in 6-8 months, to then receive the backlash from players/press for “reusing most of the content and only having 4 new locations”

Personally I would rather have recycled stages as well if it means more stages, but I know a lot of people would get upset about having minimal new content in a new title. 

austinb said:

We’ve been told it takes codies a long time to completely create a stage, and although we had a nice stream of new locations in the EA period, we know they had been in development for a year or two on top of that. My thought is that if they are planning to release a sequel of some form in 2 years or so, they likely wont be able to create more than 5 ish new locations.

So I can see why they may want to save any they make for the next title rather than releasing a new location as dlc in 6-8 months, to then receive the backlash from players/press for “reusing most of the content and only having 4 new locations”

Personally I would rather have recycled stages as well if it means more stages, but I know a lot of people would get upset about having minimal new content in a new title. 

Old content with new tech would be fair, but it would be hard not to still know the stages even with changes

Yeah I think we'd have to just accept that we already know them, but id rather have the ability to have a league championship for example with 10-12 rallies (knowing half of them well) than only having 5-6 rallies that are all new. 

I think the next release will be a licensed stand-alone RallyX title.  I also think work will simultaneously start on DR2, but it will take a while to develop and come well after the RallyX game.

General consensus seems to be that everyone wants improved physics with tyre choice/degrading, improved (DriveClub-like) visuals and an increase in the number of stages/locations with increased length and dynamic weather & dynamic surface degrade & a more unforgiving, realistic damage model.

One thing I cant really get my head round though, if DiRT Rally maxes out the current gen consoles, do we need to wait on Console Hardware that can punch a lot harder to tick all those boxes?  

I'm not sure if a standalone RX game would sell. I think it would be targeting too small a market. I seem to remember a conversation back when I visited codies about world RX wanting a standalone game, but the guys didn't think it would work. If you think about it, everyone who wanted to buy a RX game would have bought dirt rally already. So then take off all the people who only bought it for rally and hillclimb, you wouldn't be left with many people

I'm not sure if a standalone RX game would sell. I think it would be targeting too small a market. I seem to remember a conversation back when I visited codies about world RX wanting a standalone game, but the guys didn't think it would work. If you think about it, everyone who wanted to buy a RX game would have bought dirt rally already. So then take off all the people who only bought it for rally and hillclimb, you wouldn't be left with many people
yes sorry but i cant see rallyx doing anything.i dont mind a game of it once every few weeks or once a month but im not doing to play it like the main rally content of dirt rally.

thing is the team have invested alot on rallyx already.so it may be already dealt with and ready to start work on.so i guess we will see just cant see a sole rally x game doing well. even as dlc i think it would struggle.

I think it would suit console racers down to the ground though, all the PVP-heads!  Codies will have the figures on server load etc, so they'll know whether its goer or a write-off.

I dont see it or Pikes as a necessary component on a future DR title though, and I'm not sure they'd drop it all together either

KevM said:
One thing I cant really get my head round though, if DiRT Rally maxes out the current gen consoles, do we need to wait on Console Hardware that can punch a lot harder to tick all those boxes?  
It's called "not putting something in". You would have to optimise the consoles so they would run the most important parts but sacrifice on the visuals. Probably this could even mean a 30FPS. Maybe 60FPS version for the PS4.5/Neo or however they'll be calling it. It's a possibility that can't be ignored, even though 60FPS for a sim is less than suitable. Then again it depends on optimisation. Evo studios showed that you can make 30FPS feel incredibly smooth on a console, something that DiRT Rally on a PC can't accomplish at all (the stuttering below 60FPS is dreadful).
dgeesi0 said:
yes sorry but i cant see rallyx doing anything.i dont mind a game of it once every few weeks or once a month but im not doing to play it like the main rally content of dirt rally.

thing is the team have invested alot on rallyx already.so it may be already dealt with and ready to start work on.so i guess we will see just cant see a sole rally x game doing well. even as dlc i think it would struggle.
Well, sorry, but that's just you. Some people out there enjoy doing RX a lot. The main thing that stops me personally from doing it more often is the lack of tracks and any form of some ranked multiplayer mode. Even the public lobby isn't that interesting.
A standalone RX game that would be more into simcade, with proper career mode and multiplayer behind it would probably bring in crowds. And I can't see a better team for that than Evolution guys.

KevM said:
I think the next release will be a licensed stand-alone RallyX title.  I also think work will simultaneously start on DR2, but it will take a while to develop and come well after the RallyX game.

General consensus seems to be that everyone wants improved physics with tyre choice/degrading, improved (DriveClub-like) visuals and an increase in the number of stages/locations with increased length and dynamic weather & dynamic surface degrade & a more unforgiving, realistic damage model.

I think a new game wouldn't need to be that much more taxing visually. Updated handling model and a lot more content would do the trick, and maybe some small touches on the graphics side. I think the current generation of consoles probably can do a lot more on the CPU simulation side even though their GPUs are pushed to the limit.

I'm not sure if a standalone RX game would sell. I think it would be targeting too small a market.
As much as I would love to see a full standalone rallycross game I'm in agreement with @RallyDriven in that I don't think there is enough of a market for one yet. Still, rallycross has certainly gained a lot of momentum with the World Championship now in the spotlight, so perhaps we're underestimating it's appeal.

I would personally hate to see rallycross get it's own title, fail to sell and then get abandoned from future titles. Expanded content on what we already have in DiRT Rally is what I'd really like to see at this point. 

There's not a huge amount of racing games that focus on one discipline, and they're definitely not the most successful games. It's basically putting all of your eggs in one basket, and as awesome as rallycross is, not the most popular basket.

If they were going to refurbish all stages from DR into the next title(which will require a little time), they need to make the Swedish stages grippier.