DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

A sense of speed and danger is something which is incredibly difficult to translate into a game. So last weekend on the somerset stages we lost the back end on a reasonably fast corner, and the front was heading towards the bank on the inside. If we had hit that, we would have definitely rolled. You can't really translate that feeling of adrenaline into a game. Don't get me wrong though, Dirt does an unbelievably good job, but as skiddy just said, those coming from other motorsport disciplines might have a difficult job of understanding where that feeling comes from. I know when I'm pushing hard on dirt rally, and I feel like I am on the edge. But understanding that feeling as an outsider is probably more difficult.

bogani said:
bogani said:
I see RX as a perfect complement to Rally in a future Dirt Rally, not as a fully priced srand alone game.
Or... a part of a different game that has more circuit based racing style. Would fit very well then.
As I enjoy both rally and RX I'm gonna be selfish and say that RX fits very well in DR and want both diciplines to stay merged in the same game in the future as well.
It's just the truth. Rallying is easier to implant into a videogame, cause it's like chess. You need to know when to push and when not, so you can finish without totalling your car or ending you life. RX is much more difficult to translate to games, cause RX is not about see where your limits are per track, but it's rather more a contact sport with cars in a short-sized gravel/tarmac circuit. You need to feel the g-forces, the bangs when cars crashe into each other, the shakes of all the bumps and much more. Otherwise it's just going round and round and round 

bogani said:
RyuMakkuro said:
bogani said:
I see RX as a perfect complement to Rally in a future Dirt Rally, not as a fully priced srand alone game.
Or... a part of a different game that has more circuit based racing style. Would fit very well then.
As I enjoy both rally and RX I'm gonna be selfish and say that RX fits very well in DR and want both diciplines to stay merged in the same game in the future as well.
----------------------------

By merging games you have to balance the physics etc. Take example of Guild wars 1. You've PvE and PvP; yet a lot of  the same spells are different for both gamemodes. I prefer a game full concentrated about Rallying, so you can put all the money, time and stuff into rallying to create an even better game then DR. Or it will be just like DR with modes all over again and Rallying be the master, and RX and hillclimb being the never ever played gamemodes, cause nobody really likes them. 
You surely speak for all people out there mate? We all know you don't like RX and we also know you believe CM will fail unless they go "full sim" from now on. 

Yeah, but we kind of keep going round in circles, as it seems to keep coming down to what you like. I love RX and hillclimb, and so do a lot of others. I think they've translated the sport incredibly well into a game, as they have done with rallying as well.

And I really don't see you're point with RX just going round and round, that you need to feel this and that. That apply's to every circuit racer out there?
That's the thing about RX, it's a quick fix. It's fast paced pedal to the metal action. The start is half the win. 

Okay. I will be sssh :p
  • Body is 20 characters too short.
You don't have to shush. It's all just different opinions :)

Didzis said:
JZStudios said:
DR for $60 gets you the 12 stages? and 25 cars. 
There are 46 cars in DR and you could also count Pikes Peak as a stage, so 13 of those
I don't know. The page I found said 25. Oh, wait, I think that was when it left EA... maybe?
http://www.codemasters.com/game/dirt-rally/
Either way it's still a lot less content.
@RinusRally I see your dislike, and I counter your dislike with my own dislike.... hardcore race sims aren't evil, my first real racing experience with a wheel is GTR which I haven't bothered to buy yet, and that game has plenty of content. It's still a niche market. Until a big sim comes out like Forza on PC, like everyone was hoping PCars would be, PC sim will continue to be very niche and not very profitable. People are getting more into it, which is good, but in all the PC games I've tried, I get so bored of the GT class cars so quickly, I'm relegated to the 3-4 road cars and 2-3 tracks I like, which is absolutely not worth $60. PC sims are too expensive, poorly optimized, have little content, and have frankly awful visuals for all the elitism they get.

People who don't really do racing games, or games in general, but who do/have raced, will never get the feeling from a game.  Fact.

It doesn't mean they cannot get used to games, but if you have experienced real life racing, that's the part of it that's missing, you can sim the rest, but the physical feeling and being knocked around whilst on track/stage is just something that even a motion seat struggles to give (though they're dang good)

@RinusRally Please stop clicking the disagree button on peoples posts for the heck of it, it's not funny and you have a strangely skewed view on the real world Vs what you personally believe.

JZStudios said:
Meanwhile, Forza Horizon 2 has 210 cars and an open world, complete with career mode, for $60. You can argue about Playground being much bigger, and sure, but they still give you significantly more premium content, and a massive play area, with better graphics, dynamic accurately modeled weather, and a full day/night cycle. And it sold A LOT. And it's a great game to play. It also has WAY more car classes than any of the previous games, and allows a full tuning setup of pretty much EVERYTHING on your car.
For me the volume of content as a measurement of whether a simulator is good is completely irrelevant. I would rather have a single car and track that feels more like driving a real car than some lesser game with a zillion cars and tracks and meaningless upgrades that don't hold a candle to the better simulator. Quality rathe than quality is what distinguishes a true simulator from a game IMHO.

Like WA?                                

gfRally said:
Since this IS the gossip thread, I just heard some about Pikes Peak...
B1tch, don't do that and leave us! :)

Something from the Twitch thingy with, Swedish guy, right?

gfRally said:

That scene is from the movie "Red Heat" with Schwarzenegger, isn't it? Where he finds coke in a hollowed out prosthetic leg.

gfRally said:

Darren got some info that he passed onto the artists for PP and called it a "mind bomb", if I have that correct @F2CMaDMaXX ?

gfRally said:

That scene is from the movie "Red Heat" with Schwarzenegger, isn't it? Where he finds coke in a hollowed out prosthetic leg.
Cocainum

gfRally said:
Darren got some info that he passed onto the artists for PP and called it a "mind bomb", if I have that correct @F2CMaDMaXX ?
Pikes Peak at night possibly?

Or downhill...                                                                                 

Or downhill...                                                                                 
Or mirrored 

What we need is somebody to strap @KickUp into their passenger seat and then drive round an underground car park like a maniac until @KickUp gives up the relevent information

Sorry guys, but if it's from yesterdays chat, then it's not that exciting, it's just a nice thing to have as they didn't know.

So, if i *am* correct in that assumption, it's the time of day stuff, PP isn't run at the end of the day (so sunset timing)  It's run really early (road closure stuff) so as not to disrupt traffic as much.

What we need is somebody to strap @KickUp into their passenger seat and then drive round an underground car park like a maniac until @KickUp gives up the relevent information
That just reminds of the Driver series... but KickUp would probably start saying things like "Left square over bump, caution, don't cut." and before you know it you're somewhere in the woods on a romantic getaway. One way or another, he'll squeal. ;)