DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

The official PC release date was 7 December, 2015. Yes, it was on Steam as early access since April, but for the books the game is only 5 months old, and the console versions were released 5 months after the PC release date. So for sure there will be no talk of a sequel until the end of the year at least.

I would love a new location as DLC, and agree that due to the way the staggered release played out, it is too early for for any discussion of a new game. Especially if Evolution Studios will be involved in development in any way.

New road book is out, there are a few teases of the team moving onto a new project. They say a few times that they cant talk about anything yet.

DLC, i think still being decided, on at least two points, actually 3; 1) Cars and/or stages/events.  2) Likely cost (Time *and* money) to do either of those  3) Probability of actually making the investment back in sales.

Events/stages obviously cost a fair amount, particularly if they need to scout new Vs a location they have data for already.

Cars, you're talking licensing for the most part, i'm guessing it might not add much to the already healthy, yet missing *some* classics, availability of some 46 cars.

I'm gonna put my money down on it being either a *very* heavily modified version of the DR engine, or i bet more likely a new engine to drive the next game.  I will also say quite likely a close iteration of Dirt Rally, if not actually DR2, based upon them already mentioning a much more advanced physics model having been demonstrated internally (puts current DR engine to shame).  
It would be tough to introduce a new IP based upon the line their physic modelling is taking without it essentially being DR2.

Either way, so long as it's from @KickUp and team, for the first time in a long time, i'm ready to say:

RyuMakkuro said:
Bottom line? Great game will always sell while a good game, needs advertising. All Codies need to do is make sure the next DiRT title will be a great game and more than a worthy successor to DR. When you count what Paul already said in some interviews, they are on a good way so far.
They need to sort out some of the obvious stuff. Kind of obvious when you look at the 3 versions.

I'm hoping for some extra locations, and a larger RX calendar. I love DiRT Rally beat all my expectations but feel that a few extra countries would finish it off nicely before moving on to completely new project.

Either way codies have blown me away this time around what ever they do I'm sure it will be wicked.

this video from 7:30 is pure gold.
Codies - you've captured part of the essence of this mans rant with Dirt Rally, and you're getting the just rewards for that - please listen to this man for anything you plan to be working on in future! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig4GCukqweU

My only comment on his stuff is, i don't think a skid pan is what he thinks a skid pan is.
What is a skid pan? The only pan I know about is the Swedish "långpanna" on which we cook all of our food.

It's part of a handling course, used to test how cars (and drivers) react to loss of traction.

It's part of a handling course, used to test how cars (and drivers) react to loss of traction.
Aka a part of track with fountains all over it.

Watch from 2:00 (well, all of it will make you laugh, but you get the gist)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKv_RvZ6OGk

what he says is pretty true for most games now spoon fed to easy. its like games are being made for people of lower intelligence or they think we are that dumb. who knows.

if people want the great success that everyone used to have in big games they got to put in the effort making them.

Dirt rally has done pretty well and is a decent game there is still some things that shouldn't be as they are though.thats what im hoping will be in the next game.

dgeesi0 said:
what he says is pretty true for most games now spoon fed to easy. its like games are being made for people of lower intelligence or they think we are that dumb. who knows.

The thing with F1GP was that it had a much wider range of difficulty than most race/rally sims to day. We seem desperate to categorise games into slots these days - not as developers but as a community, most especially in terms of more hardcore titles.

When I started F1GP as a newbie I used a joystick, auto gears, spin assists and raced against dead easy AI. When I finished with it I was racing at the highest level with a steering wheel and pedals (Thrustmaster T2) racing a championship with full length GPs. The game was highly accessible yet had the capability to be a true sim.

Now we want to label sims as arcade, simcade or a true sim and efforts to make a true sim accessible get derided as moving the wrong direction and spoon feeding the entitled millennials, well we didn't have them in 1992!

Getting that breadth of accessibility and hardcore features seems somehow tougher in 2016 than 1992.

to me the essence of his rant is the depth of the experience that is missing from so many modern games. it's what surrounds the core driver experience that immerses you into the sport, which can turn a game into something special and really reward you for playing.
obviously though the gameplay is the first priority - DR has that nailed. DR also provides a really rewarding experience by being so damn challenging - it's why we keep sinking hours and hours into it. All i want from the next DR project is to nail the feel of really being part of a rally event in a realistic, tasteful way.

it's summed up best for me in the difference between FIFA's career mode and NBA 2K's career mode. FIFA's gameplay is pretty great, but there is absolutely no engagement or reward in the experience of playing. - it's just slogging out the same match over and over. Match atmosphere doesn't change, whether its a League One match or a Champions League Final. NBA 2K has sponsor deals, contracts, interviews, season awards - the atmosphere changes when playoffs arrive etc. You feel part of a dynamic environment, part of something bigger.

I'm not saying I want a crappy / tacky career mode, but I do want the supporting stuff specific to rally that helps me experience the unique feel of each event - have a flow between shakedown and stages. Imagine having procedurally generated stages and having a proper recce beforehand - holy heck. I want to head back to service park between stages and feel the buzz. I want to pass crashed competitors, and deal with dust when i'm catching a damaged car. The service park, spectator density and atmosphere should change depending on the rally event - local club vs WRC etc. The core DR driving experience is so good they don't need to change it, just spend time on building more locations, and working on the environment, and it will be the greatest game EVER MADE.

yes they dont need to change much. just add to it.

the only things letting it down are the very same things that codemasters struggle with over many years.

stopping cheaters. multiplayer . i can go play now probably get 100 cheaters who are cheating in 2 hrs of play at top of tables.same trainers/same cheaters.

for as long as i can remember cutting cheating has been a issue with their games and not been given the priority it should have.dirt 3 for eg every world record after so long was just 1 sec and stupid like that. in a racing rally game the most important thing is the times ! thats why i get frustrated about it.

for any kind of longevity in the game this needs to be closed down on.

multiplayer aswell just 8 man if even included.i know many who wanted mp included in dirt rally and as above the only two minus points which would of made the game almost a perfect ten.

add longer more locations. dont need any more cars that we have better set up options and we sorted.

Yawn....

Stupid short body!                       

There was a time when rivers were full of leaks,
and people happily gossiped them like freaks.

Now with the rivers dry like a desert,
we only have dirt for a dessert.

Although tasty dirt it is,
we would love some pop quiz.

So that yet again we can fix those leaks,
like a bunch of gossiping freaks.

@KickUp @Hatward @ChristinaMc

ps pls kill of all the dirt rally cheats.

perfect ending to your poem.

Unfortunately this is what will be going on for a little while now. Depending on what they are working on, it could vary. If its dirt rally dlc, we could here soon. But I think it is most likely a completely new game, in which case it could be a very long time (could be around 12 months or more) before they can really start talking/hinting

In my opinion, the Early access type of game enlarged the enthusiasm of the players, waiting for the new cars, new tracks, everything. Now I have a lack of motivation for playing DiRT, i know every stage, every Car, it is kinda boring.
Modding would affect in the same way of EA, new cars added by the community will raise the motivation for playing. I am now playing RBR because of its content, that is the one I would love one DiRT will have it, Actual WRC'S, R5 and R2.