DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Darhour said:
Wow, it looks like sh*t...                                                            
I wouldn't expect any less from Milestone
I think you meant to say "any better" ;)
Yup, because I can definitely still expect less from them, because they're outrageously shite. 
So outrageous when it comes to marketing as well. 

It will be 'thee greatest simulation to ever grace the genre'... :D

"Hey, top drivers!..."                                                                                    

Ok, I am posting this out of frustration.  I am having a load of problems with DR the past week.  

1) cannot connect to racenet once in every 3 days.
2) my career progress is not being saved.

This is the first time that I have NOT wanted to play DR.  

I deleted my career and started over, and still the same, progressed through 3 events, then quit and it restarted me back on the 1st event, 3rd stage.  Last time I made it to event 3 and then it wouldn't save or let me past that one.  Anyone have any ideas?  I am really sad that I have to post stuff like this.  Really bummed.

Yeah, unfortunately as has been said all along, RaceNet is annoying, but a core part of the game & it's not working at all.  It sucks the life right out of the awesome that is DiRT... :(

Racenet is lumpy right now, but @gfRally i think your problem is actually the issue i had, it's finding a file/something in a folder it checks.

Deleting the whole DR folder and 'validating' is obviously a fix, but if you've recently added any mods, they'll be the cause, normally a back up folder or file you renamed to save/backup is the cause.

Racenet is lumpy right now, but @gfRally i think your problem is actually the issue i had, it's finding a file/something in a folder it checks.

Deleting the whole DR folder and 'validating' is obviously a fix, but if you've recently added any mods, they'll be the cause, normally a back up folder or file you renamed to save/backup is the cause.
I'll check that before I go to work tomorrow.  Probably just kill it and and reinstall, don't care about mods right now, just want to play.

Thanks for the info.. hope it works, and hope they get racenet figured out, thats crippling their good reputation now.

No problem, don't forget, uninstall and reinstall doesn't seem to do the same thing, delete all files and subfolders manually if you're going the 'easy' route.

I recently remembered why I don't like Germany. In DR anyways. No offense to actual Germans, I'm sure it's a great place, as long as you conform.
The FFB is so weird. It feels fine in dirt, but on tarmac there's notheing there, then suddenly it's slightly there, then it goes away again. It's bizarre. And now that I have Dirt 2 and 3 the FFB in those games is much better for me, and simpler to set up. :/

I would agree that Tarmac is not right, but when you peel it back, it's better than most in terms of raw physics. Yes, cars lack grip & slide a bit much, but it's what you can do with the slide that gives me hope.

If you push a car beyond its grip threshold on iRacing, what you have to do to recover a slide, simply does not translate into real driving, where DiRT, in ways, does.

KevM said:
I would agree that Tarmac is not right, but when you peel it back, it's better than most in terms of raw physics. Yes, cars lack grip & slide a bit much, but it's what you can do with the slide that gives me hope.

If you push a car beyond its grip threshold on iRacing, what you have to do to recover a slide, simply does not translate into real driving, where DiRT, in ways, does.

Yeah totally agree, the way the cars regain grip feels so realistic. I play forza from time to time and the feeling of losing and regaining grip is no where near as satisfying

JZStudios said:
I'm sure it's a great place, as long as you conform.

I don't know where you got that idea from, lol  ;)

I still stick to my theory that everything about aero is inverted. This would explain the understeer at low speeds, oversteer at high speeds and absurdly long jumps after you cross a certain speed point. Along with the fact that the cars get more grip the higher you go in Pikes Peak and that the car with the most aerodynamic grip is the most tail happy thing in existence... yeah, the 208.

Also, Codies said themselves that the wind model isn't to their liking, so that only backs it up.

I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but it just fits so well it's not even funny.

Aerodynamics don't apply at low speeds.  
The big jumps were likely due to the stages being designed with V1 downforce in mind, but cars moving to V2.  Throw a ball of paper off a cliff, it drops, throw a paper plane off the same cliff, it flies then drops!
Cars may feel like they get more grip higher up the Peak, due to the power/torque reduction that comes with altitude, causing less wheelspin?

The 208 isn't quite as planted as it probably should be, but saying that it's extremely powerful and very light, and if you push it, it's going to spin and slide. Drive it carefully and it starts to feel better

The 208 isn't quite as planted as it probably should be, but saying that it's extremely powerful and very light, and if you push it, it's going to spin and slide. Drive it carefully and it starts to feel better
The 208 is just plain wrong. If the 208 drove anything like it does in DR, Loeb would have died screaming over the first best cliff. 

It sure has tremendous power and is very light, but it's clearly have grip to match it when looking at the onboard.

bogani said:
The 208 is just plain wrong. If the 208 drove anything like it does in DR, Loeb would have died screaming over the first best cliff. 

It sure has tremendous power and is very light, but it's clearly have grip to match it when looking at the onboard.
It does feel more slippery than it should, but I sometimes ask myself if it isn't due to us pushing the cars far harder than you would in real life aswell. Last time I drove the 208PP on all tarmac I tried to drive it as fast as the grip allowed, without being risky. I made some smaller errors on some hairpins resulting in 5-10 seconds lost, but did a good and solid run. End result? 10 seconds off Loebs IRL PP run. Intrigued, I checked his onboard. I had taken the same lines, on the same gears, and gotten the same time. And while I held that pace, the car actually was pretty planted and controllable.

Dytut said:
bogani said:

It does feel more slippery than it should, but I sometimes ask myself if it isn't due to us pushing the cars far harder than you would in real life aswell. Last time I drove the 208PP on all tarmac I tried to drive it as fast as the grip allowed, without being risky. I made some smaller errors on some hairpins resulting in 5-10 seconds lost, but did a good and solid run. End result? 10 seconds off Loebs IRL PP run. Intrigued, I checked his onboard. I had taken the same lines, on the same gears, and gotten the same time. And while I held that pace, the car actually was pretty planted and controllable.
That's exactly what I meant. I'm not saying it's perfect, but if you drive it like you would drive an endurance car on a track it behaves a bit better. It still feels like it needs more downforce though

I wonder if this is one of these instances where the real numbers should tweaked to ease the gameplay. it's a fine line to cross, but I think that when you can't compute every part of physics, compromises are needed.  Maybe this is a case where the Pikes Peak cars grip levels need to be tweaked, so that the 'feel' better

As been mentioned, I have a external speedo mounted on my wheel, I use it as a reference to keep in mind, is this how I would approach this corner in real life?  sometimes it helps, it's just a problem of trying to translate that sense of speed onto a screen, maybe VR will somewhat solve that in the future.

I'm just waiting for a cheaper headset alternative. The Oculus would be cool for $300, but definitely not worth $600. And the Vive does more than I need, and while it can do interesting things, they'll never get over the limitations of your room scale, thus requiring every game to teleport you. If Google Cardboard is $5, why isn't there a headset with a motion controller for $200?

JZStudios said:
I'm just waiting for a cheaper headset alternative. The Oculus would be cool for $300, but definitely not worth $600. And the Vive does more than I need, and while it can do interesting things, they'll never get over the limitations of your room scale, thus requiring every game to teleport you. If Google Cardboard is $5, why isn't there a headset with a motion controller for $200?
Google cardboard relies on a $500+ phone (if you buy it out of contract)

but I do agree they need to get cheaper, but I am afraid this has set a precedent, the one you want will always be $500, the cheaper version will be the older tech.  

KevM said:
Aerodynamics don't apply at low speeds.
Normally (as in real life) that is indeed the case. However I did say that they are inverted in my theory. That means your statement there has to be reversed to match behaviour in the game. So they apply at low speeds, while having no effect at high speeds. Again the obvious understeer at low speeds and sliding at higher speeds is a perfect example of this.

On the subject of Pikes Peak, the cars have about the same, if not actually more power. It's hard to tell since there isn't a flat piece of road long enough to properly test it, both at the top and bottom. However cars become more prone to understeer (especially at high speeds) rather than oversteer through the course of climbing. This should be the opposite as you should be getting less downforce.
Let me put it this way. Cars that weigh heavily on aerodynamics, like Ariel Atom for example, after a certain speed they gain a very high amount of understeer, while at low speeds they posses little to no grip/traction at all which results in heavy oversteer. This applies also to the 4WD cars, like the LMP1 Audi R18 E-Tron, the class on which 208 was based. Now if those cars would start climbing, their point where they get enough downforce to maintain traction along with the understeer point will happen at higher speeds. In DR, the opposite happens. You have more understeer in general, rather than less. Or should I say that the point where understeer changes into oversteer happens at a higher speed.

Moreover, there's that one sweet spot in terms of speed where cars feel like they should (not sure if it's the same for all cars though). Naturally it's a very small spot, as when aero is inverted you'll naturally meet the proper functioning aero somewhat midway. To better visualise it, take a sinusoidal line and then reverse it. It will be cutting through the original at the midway point (usually x axis).

However you want to twist it and misunderstand it, there's still not a single argument that proves my theory is wrong. I'm not saying that it's actually the case, but there's just nothing that proves it otherwise. I would love to know what's the actual issue behind this is, but I suppose we'll never know.

Iv read your point twice now Ryu, I see all the words but still can't understand or piece together your theory on this.

Why do you think that Aero affects under/oversteer completely independently?  Downforce is downforce.  It loads both axles!  It defies logic, both actual & virtual!
Does a plane produce downforce when travelling slowly but then flip over to produce lift at a certain velocity? Nope!
Do F1 cars suffer chronic understeer around 2nd Gear chicanes but go full tail-out oversteer drift round 180mph bends? 

I have no idea where you are at with this, really.  None!??

TL:DR The Downforce is not working when it should be and vice versa... with varying levels of noticeability no less. At least in the current way it is coded and implemented into the game, one variable or other has gone AWOL.