DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

I've too much money on my bank. Don't like too much money. (Thank you electricity-company), so I ordered: https://www.edtracker.co.uk/shop/my-basket/edtracker-pro and http://www.h-engineering.net/shop/sim-handbrake-2/

Next month I am going to order some Qualify of Life stuff: http://store.renovatio-dev.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=69 and https://www.wheelstandcentre.nl/producten/racing-wheels/add-on/th8-short-shift-kit.html
I have 0.33€ on my bank account. So... Next time you don't like the fact that you have too much money, PM me for my IBAN address.

;)

If only I was a tester, secret or not! 

What about #thatcar, #thiscar, #thatothercar, etc? Have they all been implemented into the game yet?

It was hinted few months ago on tweeter about a new location for DR, Australia. Is it going to happen within the upcoming patch alongside thatcar? Sorry i am off pace recently lol

Darhour said:
It was hinted few months ago on tweeter about a new location for DR, Australia. Is it going to happen within the upcoming patch alongside thatcar? Sorry i am off pace recently lol
Citation needed!

Darhour said:
Seriously, I still have no idea. Is that even a car? 
It's hard to tell in Australia, everything's upside down, out to kill you, or not what you thought it was.

chukonu said:

What about #thatcar, #thiscar, #thatothercar, etc? Have they all been implemented into the game yet?
I thought so? The first #thatcar was the Sport Quattro and the second hash tagged car was the Peugeot 208? 

(Not 100% sure on the above though, so I await correction!)

Really intrigued to know what they have planned: is it just minor tweaks, or is there further content coming for the game? 

tbtstt said:
chukonu said:

I thought so? The first #thatcar was the Sport Quattro and the second hash tagged car was the Peugeot 208? 

Really intrigued to know what they have planned: is it just minor tweaks, or is there further content coming for the game? 

Yep - #Thatcar was being teased way before the game was announced because it was one of the first powerful cars they got working, and everyone in the team was excited about it. #Thatothercar was the 208.

tbtstt said:
chukonu said:

I think @KickUp confirmed the second tag was for the 208, either here or in a tweet a while back.  

As far as content?  I highly doubt it.  I think they are actively working on their next title and anything new will be there.

As borded as I have gotten looking at the same scenery, DR is still the best out there and still enjoyable, but there is a lot of catching up to current tech/features of many new games that the current engine doesn't support.  Good news is Codies is hiring again, and hopefully they can fast track the next title with more help and resources.  After that I would like to see lots of DLC (like PCars/AC releases over or more than a year)

I agree with you on that one, I offcourse would love to see more content coming to DiRT Rally, but I see DiRT Rally as an experiment, where there a lot has been learned. Because of early access a lot of changes have been made on a game that wasn't designed like this from the start (See V2 physics and Finland jumps for example, or the soft snowbanks in sweden, they can't be put in Monte Carlo without a lot of work)
Besides this, they've squeezed everything out of this engine that is possible, so they won't be able to get much more out of it, and would need to do a lot of work to improve on this for the next game.

They could go on and release more content for this game, knowing the engine won't be able to do what they want to do with it. So I can imagine they want to take what they've learned, and use this knowledge to create a game that's even better than DiRT Rally.

This probably does mean we won't be seeing any new content any time soon, but in the end we will be getting an even better game than DiRT Rally already is.

ill add 2 things as a short wish list for content:

1)  carrying over locations from DR do other stages in the locations (I.e. Germany wine country). I would guess the assets are there and I would imagine the other areas of the locations where documented and photographed.   I would just guess these would be quicker than creating all new?  Not sure what takes longer Mesh/3D work or environment work.

Add additional new non dlc locations too expand content even more.

2) Short and quickwish, more pronounced bump maps on terrain, at times the gravel just looks like a flat texture.

gfRally said:

1)  carrying over locations from DR do other stages in the locations (I.e. Germany wine country). I would guess the assets are there and I would imagine the other areas of the locations where documented and photographed.   I would just guess these would be quicker than creating all new?  Not sure what takes longer Mesh/3D work or environment work.

2) Short and quickwish, more pronounced bump maps on terrain, at times the gravel just looks like a flat texture.
Definitely agree with that. I'd especially love the vineyard Germany stages. Maybe something different in Wales too, like route 60 or the great orme.

gfRally said:

I agree. Another possibility in addition is to change the seasons to the existing stages, which could really help with giving them a new feel for a new game.I for one would love to do the monte rally in the summer.

DiRT Franchise weekend sale on steam right now. I hope that is a sign :D

I agree. Another possibility in addition is to change the seasons to the existing stages, which could really help with giving them a new feel for a new game.I for one would love to do the monte rally in the summer.
I would love that too, but people threw a hissy fit when they found out Finland was going to be in the autumn, even though this isn't a WRC game and they don't need to follow the WRC callendar. Hopefully those people are the minority.

BadD0g said:
I would love that too, but people threw a hissy fit when they found out Finland was going to be in the autumn, even though this isn't a WRC game and they don't need to follow the WRC callendar. Hopefully those people are the minority.
I'm wasn't overly fussed about it, but recently there have been some stunning photos coming out of some of the summertime Welsh forests, and now I'd love to see that in the game.

Edit: not letting me embed, but heres a facebook link

https://www.facebook.com/JMSPhotographic/?fref=ts

BadD0g said:
Hope so too. In my opinion the biggest flaw Dirt rally has regarding stages is that it's following the WRC callendar too much. They have an amazing oppertunity to go off the grid to do some amazing but lesser known rallies. But I can understand why they did it.

BadD0g said:
Hope so too. In my opinion the biggest flaw Dirt rally has regarding stages is that it's following the WRC callendar too much. They have an amazing oppertunity to go off the grid to do some amazing but lesser known rallies. But I can understand why they did it.
You are, right. Let DR 2 follow lesser known rallies, and have Kylotonn follow WRC ;) Amateur rallies also needs love, and some of them are really pearls/diamonds. 

But we don't exactly have bad rallies and stages in the game currently. But yeah, there are some fantastic lesser known stages out there, I've been lucky enough to tackle some of those in Britain. The somerset stages in south England are great stages, with the gravel being a unique red-brown. And Porlock Hill would be a great challenge on the next game! Tight and twisty and the bottom, and fast and open at the top!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mgGpC_XpEw

Ooh! Eppynt!                                         

You are, right. Let DR 2 follow lesser known rallies, and have Kylotonn follow WRC ;) Amateur rallies also needs love, and some of them are really pearls/diamonds. 

Do I have to mention a minor American location?  You guys gotta hate me!  :)

I'd love to see LSPR in a future game. The surface is always really slick, that would make for an interesting challenge.

gfRally said:

Do I have mention a minor American location?  You guys gotta hate me!  :)

Oh change the record @gfRally.  ;)

cjl9 said:
Ooh! Eppynt!                                         

I love Eppynt, and hopefully will be back out there competing next month. The stages are always great, very fast and flowing, with some pretty good scenery. Can't remember if its Monument or Route 60 that has a really cool downhill section onto a big concrete bridge, then back up the otherside? It claimed quite a few cars last year, and caused a few cracked windscreens too!

I'll probably be lynched here, but what the heck...

I personally like the fact that Codies went with a more WRC styled calendar for the locations. And I do appreciate the fact they are going for locations with vastly different environment. I can easily see that most people here would love to see more and more Wales stages effectively, but I personally would prefer to see a lot more other known rallies. Australia, Safari/Kenya, Corsica (aka France), San Remo, Japan and even USA ( @gfRally you're not alone :p ).
Of course there are some great stages on the lesser known and simply smaller rallies, but the ones that are legendary at this point in time are that well known for a very good reason.

And a lot more Monte Carlo stages is my very personal wish. I love it and would just want to drive for longer. Even a summer pack for what we have now would be epic. Just more twisty tight tarmac madness :D