DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

There's practically nothing there other than *some* of the body shape/size and the name, the fact it's a Yaris is irrelevant.  And i agree with GF on this.

Welcome back everyone, wow that was like 25 pages to read :D

The fact they've choosen Yaris is simple - regulations + competition. i20 and Polo. They're both compacts too with similar sizes.

gfRally said:
@RyuMakkuro do you live in America?  cuz that sounds awfully familiar to the attitude most have here.  In the UK these small cars seem to be the norm, so I understand, but here with the wide open roads, it's a little different  
I live in the country where people copy everything from America... Poland.

I know Yaris is a norm, which is the issue. Polo R isn't a norm, Fiesta RS/ST isn't a norm, i20 isn't a norm, DS3 isn't a norm as well. Those are slightly/a lot more... interesting versions of cars for teachers effectively, while Yaris is a car made for teachers (or rather for people that earn that kind of money).

I would really like for the WRC cars to be more of the "cool club of hot hatches", rather than the smallest and cheapest you can get for money. Even if it's just a name.

gfRally said:
@RyuMakkuro do you live in America?  cuz that sounds awfully familiar to the attitude most have here.  In the UK these small cars seem to be the norm, so I understand, but here with the wide open roads, it's a little different  
I live in the country where people copy everything from America... Poland.

I know Yaris is a norm, which is the issue. Polo R isn't a norm, Fiesta RS/ST isn't a norm, i20 isn't a norm, DS3 isn't a norm as well. Those are slightly/a lot more... interesting versions of cars for teachers effectively, while Yaris is a car made for teachers (or rather for people that earn that kind of money).

I would really like for the WRC cars to be more of the "cool club of hot hatches", rather than the smallest and cheapest you can get for money. Even if it's just a name.

Thats interesting, and funny!  I do agree about the cars, I wish they would grow a little, like you said about the TARDIS, what next a smart car?  Maybe the lowest of low cars.  

The old cars where fast, group b cars where pretty big in some ways, up till what 2009 when Subaru left?  I don't know, probably talking out my butt.

Yes, regs went to smaller 1.6 litre engines iirc.  Cars naturally had smaller sizes when the engines were smaller, so they took the chassis' as well.

you said about the TARDIS, what next a smart car?  Maybe the lowest of low cars.  

The old cars where fast, group b cars where pretty big in some ways, up till what 2009 when Subaru left?  I don't know, probably talking out my butt.

Lol, TARDIS - Yaris, maybe my autocorrect is a Dr Who fan :neutral:

Modern WRC cars are about the same size as the group B Pug 205 and Delta S4. So it's not like they've shrunk to miniatures.

Dytut said:
Modern WRC cars are about the same size as the group B Pug 205 and Delta S4. So it's not like they've shrunk to miniatures.

that's true, over here I don't have many real life references other than Subaru and Audi, but I here there are a few imported Lancias with race pedigree.  

just to add SOMETHING to this dying thread :neutral:  Its rare that I step into bookstore anymore, but I needed to get away from a long and ongoing house project for a bit.  So Drones have caught my interest and there is a mag some in the UK may be formiliar with, creatively called "Drones Magazine".

Then a name from the past caught my eye, Alex Harvey, former Codies employee.

Here is excerpt

and now for some gossip, but from the past

Anyhow this is a brief inside look of what goes behind the scenes, and the developmet of DiRT Rally

Sorry on my phone, and having a hard time finding a direct link to the article.

Yeah, the drones in DR are your generic handmade quad or hexacopters. Better than the DJI's anyways, they'll be bigger and can carry a full camera, not some version of a GoPro type deal. Not that that the Phantoms are bad, my friend has one, but making your own has more options. Also at this point drones are becoming so popular I expected them in DR. Pretty slick little find though. Do you have a drone?

JZStudios said:
Yeah, the drones in DR are your generic handmade quad or hexacopters. Better than the DJI's anyways, they'll be bigger and can carry a full camera, not some version of a GoPro type deal. Not that that the Phantoms are bad, my friend has one, but making your own has more options. Also at this point drones are becoming so popular I expected them in DR. Pretty slick little find though. Do you have a drone?
No, almost bought a phantom a couple years ago.  But I read an article about 'fly offs' where you lose communication with ANY radio controlled vehicle and it just keeps following the same command.  Like if the last input it had was north, then it keeps flying till it runs out of battery or it hits something (or someone!)  So losing a $500 drone + $300 gopro like that scared me off.  Besides most of the places that I would like to use it I would need permission, which is a pain, or it just isn't allowed.  

For me its just not practical and the novelty would wear out quickly flying it around boring places.  

The drones were supposed to be controlled? No suprise it didn't make it into the game, I expect the development behind such thing with a lot complexicity...all things like collisions, invisible walls, etc. would need to be taken care of, not to mention whole steering with this thing.

But that would allow us to make such a beautiful replays and screenshots. Gosh.

versedi said:
The drones were supposed to be controlled? No suprise it didn't make it into the game, I expect the development behind such thing with a lot complexicity...all things like collisions, invisible walls, etc. would need to be taken care of, not to mention whole steering with this thing.

But that would allow us to make such a beautiful replays and screenshots. Gosh.
It would be like the free camera in any other game. Astoundingly surprised the engine can't seem to handle that.
gfRally said:
JZStudios said:
No, almost bought a phantom a couple years ago.  But I read an article about 'fly offs' where you lose communication with ANY radio controlled vehicle and it just keeps following the same command.  Like if the last input it had was north, then it keeps flying till it runs out of battery or it hits something (or someone!)  So losing a $500 drone + $300 gopro like that scared me off.  Besides most of the places that I would like to use it I would need permission, which is a pain, or it just isn't allowed.  

For me its just not practical and the novelty would wear out quickly flying it around boring places.  
Maybe the old ones, the new phantoms have a return to home, so if it goes too far or gets too low it flies back. There's also a few boards you can buy for custom ones that do the same or better. Realistically, if they're flying that far, and losing it, their slightly huge idiots and don't know what they're doing. They should have the antennas that have like a 10 mile range and FPV goggles, or a laptop or something. And monitor battery life, it's really not that hard. We've only ever lost a plane because my dad got distracted looking at what I was doing while his went.... somewhere? That was only like a $150 foam sailplane though.

Hey guys how's it going. I haven't played DiRT since May now :( I really need a new TV for my rig, but I also need a gearbox for my rally car!

Went to Goodwood Festival of Speed last weekend and saw a DiRT celebrity on the rally stage:

Can't beat that Group A sound! 

A lot of VR related changes happening in the DiRT Rally steam configuration in the past few days, according to steamdb.info: https://steamdb.info/app/310560/history/?changeid=2076636

nVidia released a DiRT Rally VR Game ready driver: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/dirt-rally-vr-game-ready-driver-released

while existing PC players will receive the update via Steam this month. 

Here's more public confirmation of @TURBODEVIN19 post.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/52920/cut-dirt-rally-vr-month-nvidia-drivers-ready-roll/index.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tweaktown

Standalone version, eh? I wonder what will be different. Maybe something has finally been done about the driver arm animations?

Bad wording i think, they mean there will be a version for sale in the OR store as well as on Steam.

Yeah, I think you're right.
"For existing owners of the game on Steam, a free update is headed your way this month, though no exact date was given."

Still, curious as to what's changed if anything. Not that I'd be taking any advantage of this, I probably won't have access to a VR headset for a very long time.