DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

The Gods have spoken:

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/750708018485026816

Gossip about the prospect of gossip! Commence the metagossiping!

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/750977723732897792

DiRT Rally VR will be released 11th of july, next monday!

That looks bloody awesome. I'm really fighting that urge to upgrade the PC and get a VR headset...

*looks at empty wallet due to sword addiction*

Dytut said:
That looks bloody awesome. I'm really fighting that urge to upgrade the PC and get a VR headset...

Swords are more practical anyways.

JZStudios said:
Dytut said:

Honestly... no.
It's a problem to move with them around, unless you don't mind being questioned by every single Police officer. You can't really use them for what they are meant to be used (unless for whatever reason you enjoy spending quite a few years in jail), which means you have to waste materials (usually water bottles full of water [insert "kids in Africa" joke]) in order to have something to cut. And even then, you have to do it in a place that allows to do it, like your own garden or some HEMA place or something.

Not saying that ain't fun (because it is, and I mean cutting materials, not humans), just definitely not what you call practical.

On the subject of the VR itself, I do sure hope those drivers don't come with their own set of issues, as nVidia drivers lately have a nasty habit of doing -_- A bump to performance in DR would be nice, but stability would most likely be even more welcome. Or at least don't break it :D

JZStudios said:
Dytut said:

Honestly... no.
It's a problem to move with them around, unless you don't mind being questioned by every single Police officer. You can't really use them for what they are meant to be used (unless for whatever reason you enjoy spending quite a few years in jail), which means you have to waste materials (usually water bottles full of water [insert "kids in Africa" joke]) in order to have something to cut. And even then, you have to do it in a place that allows to do it, like your own garden or some HEMA place or something.

Not saying that ain't fun (because it is, and I mean cutting materials, not humans), just definitely not what you call practical.

On the subject of the VR itself, I do sure hope those drivers don't come with their own set of issues, as nVidia drivers lately have a nasty habit of doing -_- A bump to performance in DR would be nice, but stability would most likely be even more welcome. Or at least don't break it :D
Well you live in Poland. Don't know where Dytut is, but honestly you could put them in a trunk or wrapped in a blanket. And you can have spars or just cut some random stuff in your backyard. That's what that German slingshot guy does. No one questions him. Realistically no ones going to question a man with a sword anyways. Where I live it's totally legal to carry whatever you want down the street, given that its not full auto or something...
The only VR I've tried is the dumb Samsung GearVR thing at a Best Buy because it sucks here and we don't get anything cool, and it was neat, but, ehh. I'd rather have swords and cut watermelons.

I'm in Sweden, and here we have "the knife law". Which is rather abstract by reason. It pretty much says that if the police considers what you carry a weapon, then it's illegal. So I can carry a sharp sword to practice without much problem as long as I'm clearly on my way to practice (it's a training tool), but carrying a hammer to a football game (as a weapon) would be illegal.
For example, one reenactor forgot to leave his weapons at home when he went to the library and got arrested because he really shouldn't carry them there, while carrying them to and from the reenactment event would be completely fine.

There, that was enough sword derailment for now I guess ;-)

I'm still a bit curious as to whether PSVR will be supported. I can pretty much get a PS4 and a PSVR headset for the same amount of cash that just the oculus/vive HMD costs, so it would be quite cost effecient just for VR gaming. Hard to tell if it's any good though.

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/750977723732897792
the moment we've ALL been waiting for? unless the pound keeps plummeting i think a large portion of us will still be waiting :''''(

(awesome news though - don't let me bring the rest of you down)

I haven't been around for a while, think I've probably been spending more time playing the game rather than gossiping for a change now that I'm not at uni!

Oculus support looks really cool, I doubt I'll ever get to try it, but it looks very well done!

Just got back from a wet and slippery Nicky Grist Stages, and will hopefully put up some videos later. Passed Elfyn Evans on the road section, and had a little look around their service area on the Friday, some impressive stuff for a relatively small rally!

BadD0g said:
Yeah, I think you're right.
"For existing owners of the game on Steam, a free update is headed your way this month, though no exact date was given."

Still, curious as to what's changed if anything. Not that I'd be taking any advantage of this, I probably won't have access to a VR headset for a very long time.
The VR update will arrive on Steam the same time as the version available on the Oculus Store:

DiRT Rally VR will release with the Oculus Store on 11th July, while existing PC players will receive an update on the same day too.

Source: http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/07/dirt-rally-oculus-rift-support/

After some years eyeing the G27, I went and bought the PS4 version and immediately found I'd lost what little speed I previously had. After a couple of days' practice, though, I'm pretty much as fast as if not faster than I was with a gamepad. Now I just need to figure out how to take turns sharper than 90 degrees without slowing to a crawl.. part of the problem is that I can't seem to find an intuitive way to use a button for the handbrake and part of it is that I can't seem to turn the wheel fast enough.

You may now return to the topic of this thread.

Or, you know, keep wondering off-topic for a few more pages, maybe argue over car names again, that sort of thing.

789ifyz said:
After some years eyeing the G27, I went and bought the PS4 version and immediately found I'd lost what little speed I previously had. After a couple of days' practice, though, I'm pretty much as fast as if not faster than I was with a gamepad. Now I just need to figure out how to take turns sharper than 90 degrees without slowing to a crawl.. part of the problem is that I can't seem to find an intuitive way to use a button for the handbrake and part of it is that I can't seem to turn the wheel fast enough.

You may now return to the topic of this thread.

Or, you know, keep wondering off-topic for a few more pages, maybe argue over car names again, that sort of thing.
I've modified my gear box with a hair rubber to be a handbrake and paddles are used for gears. I was having same problem you have.

Some offtopic but I can't find the topic with rally legend videos so it goes here (search is working really bad here):

https://youtu.be/_gZH6ZM2byg

10 GB for the oculus update. They must have fixed something else as well when the size is that large
Guess they had to patch up some ugly spots in the tracks that were far more visible when you could look around in VR.

Dytut said:
10 GB for the oculus update. They must have fixed something else as well when the size is that large
Guess they had to patch up some ugly spots in the tracks that were far more visible when you could look around in VR.
Yeah probably. Looks like some large resource files have been changed, changed files have to be downloaded again entirely.

Dytut said:
Yeah probably. Looks like some large resource files have been changed, changed files have to be downloaded again entirely.
Indeed. Most people forget about the fact that if you make a change in a file that weighs 1GB, you need to download entire file again. Even if it's just one file. Especially when there's any form of security that prevents from freely editing the files.

Dytut said:
Indeed. Most people forget about the fact that if you make a change in a file that weighs 1GB, you need to download entire file again. Even if it's just one file. Especially when there's any form of security that prevents from freely editing the files.
I've reseted my files to default recently because of fu**** cameras.xml without a backup and the update's 10.2 GB anyway. ;)

versedi said:
Dytut said:
I've reseted my files to default recently because of fu**** cameras.xml without a backup and the update's 10.2 GB anyway. ;)
Yeah but that's because codies made a change in those files, compared to the previous version.

789ifyz said:
Now I just need to figure out how to take turns sharper than 90 degrees without slowing to a crawl.. part of the problem is that I can't seem to find an intuitive way to use a button for the handbrake and part of it is that I can't seem to turn the wheel fast enough.
Its time to get fancy! Learn the Scandinavian Flick or Pendulum Turn.
Here is me demonstrating how to do one in the most extreme fashion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f5EYlZsq58
totally planned of course.

Start at the inside then turn away from the corner and start braking, when depends on how much braking you need you want to end the braking when you arrive at the outside and right at that moment flick the car into the corner and get on the gas, requires some practice but not that hard to pull off, theres also an in-game tutorial about it.

Indeed. It's a shame that Steam ain't have something like internal VCS which would allow to update the files only where they were changed. Of course this couldn't work for any binary files AFAIK.

Windows has supported delta patching for 15+ years now, so replacing an entire file instead of applying a transform to existing files is silly from a technological perspective. Binary files work fine, the transform is created by looking at file differences at a byte level, all files are treated as binary with the windows implementation.

While windows might support it, I have never seen a Steam app do it, so I assume delta patching is not implemented in Steam. Also with the increase in broadband internet it is a lot simpler to replace the entire file. Delta patches run much slower, so while they are much smaller file sizes, they are very expensive computationally as well as disk I/O to apply the patch.

TD;DR delta patching is available to anyone deploying on windows, but no one outside of MS seems to use it.

I have to say, this new patch brings a great feature that Codies neglected to mention... no more 30FPS lock on the loading screen :D

I have to say, this new patch brings a great feature that Codies neglected to mention... no more 30FPS lock on the loading screen :D
I found it's bringing me another great new feature, inability to play. The game crashes after a few races and I have to restart. Then again, haven't tried just logging off, that might work.

enamel said:
Windows has supported delta patching for 15+ years now, so replacing an entire file instead of applying a transform to existing files is silly from a technological perspective. Binary files work fine, the transform is created by looking at file differences at a byte level, all files are treated as binary with the windows implementation.

While windows might support it, I have never seen a Steam app do it, so I assume delta patching is not implemented in Steam. Also with the increase in broadband internet it is a lot simpler to replace the entire file. Delta patches run much slower, so while they are much smaller file sizes, they are very expensive computationally as well as disk I/O to apply the patch.

TD;DR delta patching is available to anyone deploying on windows, but no one outside of MS seems to use it.
That's something new that I didn't know of, thanks mate!