DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

bogani said:
gfRally said:
KevM said:
Well lads & lassies, anything new happening in my absence or is it same-ole-same-ole?  :smiley:

Same old, Kevin...  Other than a calm before the storm tweet, but but I think the storm is a long way off.  But don't call me a weatherman my predictions aren't that great.
Unless the storm was actually the VR update?

bogani said:
gfRally said:
KevM said:
Well lads & lassies, anything new happening in my absence or is it same-ole-same-ole?  :smiley:

Same old, Kevin...  Other than a calm before the storm tweet, but but I think the storm is a long way off.  But don't call me a weatherman my predictions aren't that great.
I assumed the storm was the VR update? I was actually a little underwhelmed as, although it's cool, the VR update doesn't excite me that much!

Fingers crossed the storm is actually something else more exciting! 

tbtstt said:
bogani said:
gfRally said:
KevM said:

I assumed the storm was the VR update? I was actually a little underwhelmed as, although it's cool, the VR update doesn't excite me that much!

Fingers crossed the storm is actually something else more exciting! 

VR update was great for those with it, but that was more of a light rain for the rest of us.  Since F1 is out in Aug 19 and they don't want to take away the buzz from that launch.  Realistically I don't see them making any sort of announcement before November.  If there is even an official announcement at all, maybe a screenshot or something really basic.  

This also could get stalled by a EVO announcement.  I just hope there isn't a GRID bomb dropped, that will just suck resources from DiRT team.  I haven't been impressed by that series in a long while.  

Here is hoping for a late 2017 release!

gfRally said:

This also could get stalled by a EVO announcement.  I just hope there isn't a GRID bomb dropped, that will just suck resources from DiRT team.  I haven't been impressed by that series in a long while.  
OFF TOPIC: Did you play GRiD Autosport? HUGE step back in the right direction in my personal opinion.

tbtstt said:
OFF TOPIC: Did you play GRiD Autosport? HUGE step back in the right direction in my personal opinion.
When compared with Race Driver GRID, it indeed is a step back. But when compared with GRID 2, it's a step forward in every imaginable way. That game was so bad... honestly, the physics just killed it. The career there was highly pointless as well, so although the one in GA wasn't interesting, it at least was less... linear so to speak.

Also, it won't be a GRID game. Remember, they are working on a new IP, so it will be most likely an evolution of the GRID series, just like what GRID was to TOCA. Pun not intended. Possibly we'll be seeing some off-road racing as well.

tbtstt said:
When compared with Race Driver GRID, it indeed is a step back. But when compared with GRID 2, it's a step forward in every imaginable way. That game was so bad... honestly, the physics just killed it. The career there was highly pointless as well, so although the one in GA wasn't interesting, it at least was less... linear so to speak.
I preferred the disciplines included Autosport, so for that reason it's a close call for me. If they had included the Circuit de la Sarthe (and the end of season 24 hours of Le Mans) in Autosport then it would be my clear winner. The Le Mans content in GRiD just keeps it ahead though!

Everything in GA was improved including the models (even though some of them were converted from the first GRiD like McLaren F1 LM then released in sort of DLCs, which is nasty work), the sounds and the visuals except for the cockpits that made the game losing respect for they were such crucial element that offers a remarkable driving experience.. Even though there are no rooms for imagination, but imagine GA with proper cockpits... What a waste, indeed.

I really enjoyed the game and it is one of my favourite "serious" racing games as I really enjoyed driving the C63 AMG with its proper V8 and 32 valves, but the rushed 8-bit cockpits were a huge con.. 

Honestly and seriously, the game was well developed and all but why botching it at the cockpits which is the most crucial part of a "serious" racing game not necessarily a sim? This question still remains unanswerable.

I'm probably going to let everyone down by saying I was a big derby racer in GRID 1, probably one of the best racers on Xbox 360 (not bragging, I was just awesome), so the lack of Derby content really disappointed me in the following games, but I did really like Grid Autosport, it just suffered from a very short development cycle

@tbtstt

Autosport was fun, it had some career mode to it, that I liked.  I was just drooling for a DiRT Game at the time, I should go back and play it now.

However that wasnt really my point, not even about the EVO team, but GRID and Dirt share some of the same people, if there are resources taken from DiRT then that would delay the next one.

EVO will have there own thing going and I'm looking forward to it.  

hope now you know what I ment.  :)

gfRally said:
@tbtstt

Autosport was fun, it had some career mode to it, that I liked.  I was just drooling for a DiRT Game at the time, I should go back and play it now.

However that wasnt really my point, not even about the EVO team, but GRID and Dirt share some of the same people, if there are resources taken from DiRT then that would delay the next one.

Yeah, I know what you meant! :smile: I played a lot of Autosport to fill the pre-DiRT Rally void! I recently got my PS3 hooked back up again, so I should really revisit a few games: all my (limited) gaming time is dedicated to DR at the moment though!

With the success of DR over AS, one would imagine the DiRT series would take priority at CM? Having said that, if a new GRiD game was in the works, I assume it would have been commissioned well before the completion of DR. 

I would like to see the GRiD series return in some form... but after we've got more DiRT!

I would really like to see a grid game with GRID 1's attention to detail and Autosport's handling model. Plus as I've already mentioned, a proper demolition derby mode following a similar style to the one in the first game. I'd also love to see a Dirt 3 style game with Dirt Rally's handling model and attention to detail. Basically just dirt 4 but a sim like dirt rally.

All GAS was missing for me was cockpit cam, Le Mans, and most importantly G1's team management. The way GAS did season contracts was good, and I'm enjoying PCars' contracts and invitationals, but after getting to name my team, design my own livery, pick my sponsors, choose my teammate, and fill my garage, it's hard not to miss that. I'd rather beat Ravenwest with my own team than drive for them!

dwkGravey said:
 but after getting to name my team, design my own livery, pick my sponsors, choose my teammate, and fill my garage, it's hard not to miss that. 
This is exactly what I think DR needs plus a little CM3 atmosphere.  

Yeah, I loved that about the first grid, and would love to see it return to either a future grid or dirt game. 

GAS did feature cockpit, however it was blurred out, which made me believe that the whole 5% thing was bs and it was actually just a technical problem codies had, which I would have respected a lot more if they had just said that at the time. But I could be wrong

Yeah, I loved that about the first grid, and would love to see it return to either a future grid or dirt game. 
Honestly I would like to see it in every motorsports game since 2008. The last time I remember feeling that invested was decorating my garage in Auto Modellista. :P

And yeah, I meant functioning cockpits. I still used cockpit cam in GAS with a no-blur mod. I can accept if the low-quality cockpits was a cost-benefit thing. All these games are some permutation of the EGO engine so I couldn't imagine why it would be a technical issue.

Also, speaking of Auto Modellista, secret wish for Dirt Rally 2: optional cel-shaded filter like Uncharted 4 has. Where did the cel-shaded racing games go?

tbtstt said:
gfRally said:
@tbtstt

Yeah, I know what you meant! :smile: I played a lot of Autosport to fill the pre-DiRT Rally void! I recently got my PS3 hooked back up again, so I should really revisit a few games: all my (limited) gaming time is dedicated to DR at the moment though!

With the success of DR over AS, one would imagine the DiRT series would take priority at CM? Having said that, if a new GRiD game was in the works, I assume it would have been commissioned well before the completion of DR. 

I would like to see the GRiD series return in some form... but after we've got more DiRT!
Didn't DR come out a year or two after AS? 

DiRT 2 is still my favorite of the series. :)

tbtstt said:
gfRally said:
@tbtstt

Yeah, it did. But we know that new games are in development for many months, sometimes ever years, before release, so if a next generation GRiD game is imminent, then the decision to green light it would, theoretically, have come before the full release of DiRT Rally. 

tbtstt said:
tbtstt said:
gfRally said:
@tbtstt

Yeah, it did. But we know that new games are in development for many months, sometimes ever years, before release, so if a next generation GRiD game is imminent, then the decision to green light it would, theoretically, have come before the full release of DiRT Rally. 
We should have done some more digging and investigating when we were there!

tbtstt said:
tbtstt said:
gfRally said:
@tbtstt

We should have done some more digging and investigating when we were there!
I was too distracted by DiRT to investigate anything else! 

Hopefully we'll get a call when they have something else ready for viewing.  ;)

So, Twitter - we have a question! And it's an interesting one too... If you could add one feature to DiRT Rally, what would it be?

— DiRT (@dirtgame) July 21, 2016
Just going to leave this here...