DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

gfRally said:
tbtstt said:

The storm might be closer than you think.

Anyway, today after nearly 2 months, I make my return to DiRT
Now this is a proper bit of gossip. Fingers crossed for some big news soon! 
placing bets on a Nov/Dec announcement for sometime later next year (trying to be realistic with release) 
You think the announcement is definitely going to be for a new title rather than something additional for DiRT Rally? 

Who said my posts were relating to DiRT Rally anyway? ;)
@Rallycameraman / @KickUp 2017 WRC DEBUT CONFIRMED.

tbtstt said:
gfRally said:
tbtstt said:

The storm might be closer than you think.

Anyway, today after nearly 2 months, I make my return to DiRT
Now this is a proper bit of gossip. Fingers crossed for some big news soon! 
placing bets on a Nov/Dec announcement for sometime later next year (trying to be realistic with release) 
You think the announcement is definitely going to be for a new title rather than something additional for DiRT Rally? 
I just don't see at this point it that it would add that much longevity to DR.  Us PC guys had it for a year, and have pretty much played the heck out of the locations we have.  Can they give us 5 more to hold us over till next title is out?  

EDIT: one more point, if they add more locations now, what would there be for the next title.

There are only so many people assigned to a given game and DLC now would only take away from a new titles content (production time).   We all have debated over this many times, but resources are resources.

Also talked about before, is tech.  If new tech is introduced, then everything has to be updated (ie the elusive Terrain deformation).  If there is no new tech, I think it would be like they are not progressing.

So I think there are a lot of factors that a whole new title will be next, and maybe announced by Dec 2016.  It's all trying to get in @KickUp and Management's head to guess what is next.

I do not see a bombshell like we had an announcement/ea of DR, that was historic.

These are just opinions, and trying to use some common sense.

EDIT. typed on my phone before, had to clean up some autocorrect and typos

gfRally said:

These are just opinions, and trying to use some common sense.

Well I certainly can't fault your logic. The "late" addition of VR support did make me think that they might still be developing DiRT Rally, but I wonder if DR is being used as a platform to shakedown VR support for it's inclusion in a future title (or titles). 

tbtstt said:
Well I certainly can't fault your logic. The "late" addition of VR support did make me think that they might still be developing DiRT Rally, but I wonder if DR is being used as a platform to shakedown VR support for it's inclusion in a future title (or titles). 
I think at this point it's quite obvious that DiRT Rally is the "prototype" game. It's first and foremost a testing "facility". It's quite possible that we may see some features added to it, quite possibly just to see if they will work for the next title. Naturally I expect this to be limited only to the features that could be made simultaneously for DR and the next title, or maybe with some small amount of extra work. Generally speaking "lay out the groundwork" stuff.

So the announcement could literally be nothing more than a "plan for the future". Kind of like the Early Access calendar we had. So improvements to the mechanics that go in-line with development of the new games are the most likely things to get. I highly doubt any actual new content is going to come (aka locations, cars).

odd number to celebrate a release

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/757878141851361280

this is like @justbiglee used to do, I wonder if there is a hidden motive to the post?  

I sure as **** hope it's nothing to do with gymkhana returning 

gfRally said:
odd number to celebrate a release

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/757878141851361280

this is like @justbiglee used to do, I wonder if there is a hidden motive to the post?  

I sure as **** hope it's nothing to do with gymkhana returning 
But Gymkhana was fun. And with the new physics it'll be pretty sweet. My biggest complaint was being forced into Gymkhana, the open are was good fun for when I wasn't quite up to actually racing.

JZStudios said:
But Gymkhana was fun.
I wouldn't go that far, but it definitely provided some enjoyment for a short period of times. Which would be a great thing if instead of the boring loading screen, we had an option (keyword, OPTION) to do the Gymkhana thing on some abandoned factory or what not. Kind of like the practice games that FIFA has for their pre-match loading screens.

i think what made gk annoying was KEN THE BLOCK SHOUTING YO DUDE CHECK OUT ME ! :D

if you could just enter it without the bs layered onto it and big yanks screaming YOLO it wouldnt be that bad.some of it was fun it was just how it was presented.

it does kind of worry me everynow and then you see block in a tweat with dirt and im like sitting with my fingers crossed he never makes it into another dirt game . slowly loads his kar98k just in case :D

JZStudios said:
But Gymkhana was fun.
I wouldn't go that far, but it definitely provided some enjoyment for a short period of times. Which would be a great thing if instead of the boring loading screen, we had an option (keyword, OPTION) to do the Gymkhana thing on some abandoned factory or what not. Kind of like the practice games that FIFA has for their pre-match loading screens.

A big wish list item was rally school.  Personally would love to see Dirtfish represented since they have such a unique and interesting looking playground there.  Could be a cool hybrid tarmac gravel area to just skid around for practice and car control.  

I think Ken seems pretty chill and easy to talk to. The entirety of # was pretty overpumped though. Thing I don't understand is, after playing 3, he's not really in it that much. You probably wouldn't be bitching if it was Makkinen or Burns constantly chatting you up on how to upload to YouTube.

Now the idea of having someone talking proper rally Finnish in game has taken hold. Codies, take heed! We need Grönholm as the speaker in the next DiRT game!

"Velcome to tirt ralli. Here you drive ralli kar. But on komputter."

"Avoid hittink big rock vitt kar. Can break bot kar or codriver ass"

gfRally said:
JZStudios said:
But Gymkhana was fun.

A big wish list item was rally school.  Personally would love to see Dirtfish represented since they have such a unique and interesting looking playground there.  Could be a cool hybrid tarmac gravel area to just skid around for practice and car control.  
Yeah, I'd love to see a rally school get added and the Dirtfish facility would be absolutely ideal. A short rally stage for shakedown and a nice wide open space for playing with the cars. As long as it's treated as an extra and not shoehorned into the career, then I'd say it would be a winner. 
dgeesi0 said:
i think what made gk annoying was KEN THE BLOCK SHOUTING YO DUDE CHECK OUT ME ! :D

if you could just enter it without the bs layered onto it and big yanks screaming YOLO it wouldnt be that bad.some of it was fun it was just how it was presented.

it does kind of worry me everynow and then you see block in a tweat with dirt and im like sitting with my fingers crossed he never makes it into another dirt game . slowly loads his kar98k just in case :D
Block didn't do any shouting in DiRT 3, did he? Or am I forgetting something? The only annoying voice in DiRT 3 was Christian bloody Stephenson telling me how rad I am and how I need to upload to yeeeeeew tube every two minutes. 

**** that guy. 

Dytut said:
Now the idea of having someone talking proper rally Finnish in game has taken hold. Codies, take heed! We need Grönholm as the speaker in the next DiRT game!

Oh god I can totally hear this in my head. I'm half finnish so me and my cousins speak english with each other and they sometimes have a very heavy finnish accent :lol:

Dytut said:

"Please avoid hurting Timo's ASS!"

I've said before but I personally loved gymkhana, mainly the playground rather than the actual events though. Also, the online mini games were incredibly good fun, my friends and I spent many nights playing cat and mouse, transporter and infected. Whilst there not for everyone, they can help increase the games longevity, and keep the online going

I've said before but I personally loved gymkhana, mainly the playground rather than the actual events though. Also, the online mini games were incredibly good fun, my friends and I spent many nights playing cat and mouse, transporter and infected. Whilst there not for everyone, they can help increase the games longevity, and keep the online going
I only started playing the online gymkhana modes purely to get a trophy. I think I ended up spending as much time playing those modes as I did racing: at least with those modes you were supposed to crash into each other! :smiley:

tbtstt said:
I only started playing the online gymkhana modes purely to get a trophy. I think I ended up spending as much time playing those modes as I did racing: at least with those modes you were supposed to crash into each other! :smiley:

We had a group of about 6 or so, so we had some absolutely brilliant games. Used to love solo transporter, used to be crazy.  and mouse used to get pretty tactical and aggressive, especially if we played 4 teams of 2

I never messed around with the online stuff in D3, so my opinion may be swayed if I did.  

Part, just like others have said, is that it was forced in career mode so I never completed the career.

However even if they wouldn't make it an official instructor by your side rally school, it would be great if it where done like Richard Burns with challenges at a school.  Tgat way it's not just an open environment area, but you have motivation to go there.

Maybe this could give you licenses or somehow allow you acceptance into different car classes, not to go far from realism.  Is there some licensing that you need over there to qualify for rally?  

Anyhow this COULD be the best of both, a free roam area to play and a goal driven instructional area to earn stuff.  It would make it a bit more serious though.  Not sure if a SIM would have a virus play mode, even though it sounds loads of fun.

gfRally said:
Is there some licensing that you need over there to qualify for rally? 
Just a few...

https://www.msauk.org/The-Sport/Types-of-Motor-Sport/Rallying

"How do I start?

To get involved in Stage Rallying, you’ll need a full DVLA driving licence. Then you need to buy an MSA Go Rallying starter pack, pass a BARS test and then apply for a Rally National B Stage Competition Licence. If you just want to co-drive, you can apply for a Navigator’s licence without having to pass the BARS course.

For Road Rallying all you need to do is join a motor club that runs such events. If you want to be a driver you will need to have a full driving licence and be at least 17 years of age but you can compete as a navigator from as young as 12."

gfRally said:
Is there some licensing that you need over there to qualify for rally? 
Just a few...

https://www.msauk.org/The-Sport/Types-of-Motor-Sport/Rallying

"How do I start?

To get involved in Stage Rallying, you’ll need a full DVLA driving licence. Then you need to buy an MSA Go Rallying starter pack, pass a BARS test and then apply for a Rally National B Stage Competition Licence. If you just want to co-drive, you can apply for a Navigator’s licence without having to pass the BARS course.

For Road Rallying all you need to do is join a motor club that runs such events. If you want to be a driver you will need to have a full driving licence and be at least 17 years of age but you can compete as a navigator from as young as 12."

Yep, then an international licence is earned differently, can't remember exactly how, but I'm sure someone here will know. It has something to do with competing/finishing a set number of national events.

But there's nothing currently stopping you going out and buying an R5 and rallying as far as I know, although I always think that you should learn to drive a slower car fast before you jump straight into a fast car. That way you understand pushing the limits of speed and commitment better, whereas people who go straight to a fast car tend to be pretty slow as they although they are going quick because the car is very quick, they aren't driving it fast.

So what does everyone think about my idea?  I think it would make for an interesting career addition.