DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

I've just got onto next gen, and I'm currently not on pc, but early access wouldn't bother me so much. Yes I'd be slightly jealous, but I know that it will benefit me in the long run when I get the finished product. But, other console owners (I'm tempted to use the word ignorant) probably wouldn't see it in that way, and would just see it as pc owners getting it first. I'm obviously in the biased and privileged view of having already seen the game though :P

I just hope that it isn't an exclusive title, and that it does come to all platforms

Thanks again Lee, I like these intellectual posts from you instead of all the teasing/puzzles.

First things first, does anyone out there know how project cars is open beta testing (to those that got in a while back) on the consoles?  I think they are covering all the platforms in their early access program, maybe I am mistaken here.

Personal. I think early access can be very good for testing the game by a lot of people,..
But to be honest,.. Did a DiRT game ( yes i am talking about a DiRT game not a GAS game) ever had that many buggs that it wasnt playable? Not that I know,.. I think Codemasters deliver quality good products qua rally games.

So back to early access, or Demo , I do not think this is necessary for a good game.
I do think that u let many people down if u just do it for PC and not for the other consols.

Beside that, I think we should get rid of just "a new" game each 1 or 2 years
( for example every year a F1 game)

I think the games now a days and the future are based on 1 basic game and that gets updated.
For example look at all the MMO games? u download or buy one content and that got extend.
That will make a game more diverse and long to live! ( U do can work on a better version behind the screens and release it after 4  years or so)

Lets take it back to F1 for example.
Wouldnt it be great if u could buy just 1x a game with the basic for example 2015 season/ circuits and teams? And if its 2016 that u can buy/download the new teams and circuit changes?

Back to DiRT 3, when Monte Carlo update came out, it extented the game live, and i do think u can add by an update this to a season or so and also with an update u can take out the small buggs
( only thing is i dont know how to fit this in the online multiplayer, perhaps by forcing to update?)

I think u can in that case create a topic or wish list what rally the gamers would love to see,.. so Codemasters can create that rally.

Anyway what do you guys think about this?

I agree with Mike about people moaning that PC are getting priority over consoles with early access. 

My biggest against would be the fact it would have to be on Pc and I don't have one capable of running DiRT (yet) 

My biggest for would be that we could play the game and provide reliable and constructive feedback, to ensure that the finished product is the best it can be, so that the dirt team can reap the rewards upon its console release. 

I've just got onto next gen, and I'm currently not on pc, but early access wouldn't bother me so much. Yes I'd be slightly jealous, but I know that it will benefit me in the long run when I get the finished product. But, other console owners (I'm tempted to use the word ignorant) probably wouldn't see it in that way, and would just see it as pc owners getting it first. I'm obviously in the biased and privileged view of having already seen the game though :P

I just hope that it isn't an exclusive title, and that it does come to all platforms

Fully agree with you @Rallydriven. I am planning to go next gen at some point in 2015 and if a new DiRT game hit the shelves I'd be down the shops buying a new console tomorrow. I would be frustrated at having to wait for a console release but, in terms of the bigger picture, I think the wait would be justified. 

I am under the assumption (perhaps wrongly) that it is easier to modify the contents of a PC game rather than a console version? So a PC only early access seems logical and, if it was released in order to help refine a full multi-platform release then it would certainly have my support (and chances are my envy would get the better of me and I'd end upgrading my PC to play the early access! :smiley:).

As highlighted above though, I would expect some grief from console owners if you chose that route. I'm sure with carefully managed PR you could make your intentions clear to most, however (as we all know from this forum!) many gamers don't do much reading before shooting their mouths/keyboards off, so I don't think you'll ever rule out all the negative comments. 

I have to agree with @ThierryNeuville‌ the DiRT team does not release buggy non-functional games, so what would early access give back to codemasters, that they could not do internally?

Maybe I can break it down with Lee's List:

Publishing - how much can we charge/will it make its money back?
It seems that most games charge a premium or full retail for early access with maybe a couple of Steam sales through out the dev cycle (2yrs?) but not many sales.  By what others have done, this seems to work.

Brand - is this the right thing to do with DiRT and does it make sense for the brand?
For a AAA title this is a difficult thing,  Marketing/Execs have to take on a different thinking pattern for a open development game.  The press perceives (I think) early access game differently.  It be a flow of more small press then the all at once official/traditional release.  This adds more work (and may take you from working with other titles).  Support may be a nightmare as the general population are dumb and don't understand that EA does not mean the final product, which would diminish the brands polished product.  Execs used to traditional ways of doing things have to REALLY be sold on this, and probably unanimous decision has to be made.  I can see this as a very hard sell.

Studio - could we actually pull it off and develop a game like this?
I think this is really what a development team can take on.  There is a lot more programming/art etc to get a PLAYABLE product out the door often enough to justify EA.  Art has to be able to overcome that many people can see placeholder art or lower standard art going out the door until completed, for some that can be hard to do.  Will the players understand that a feature could be pulled because it doesn't work.

What they would get back is a little more research, testing, and flexibility to try something new out and see what the players like (wider stages vs narrow,  do fires work on cars damage model).  What kind of game modes are fun and worth developing further.  Anonymous feedback during dev cycle to what games are actually doing with the game, how much time are they playing gymkhana mode/stadium trucks/stage rally, etc.  

PR - will the press be interested?
It seems to keep the press interested and allows for reporting of progress of the development instead of the big bang of a release then tapering off in a short time.  The bad, is you don't get that Big Bang of the release for the press to report on and scramble to get their review out.

Finance - can we afford this?
I know nothing about the numbers so I cannot add to this one.

I will try to add to this list, I have a few more ideas too, but need to get to work now.  :)

In other news: I gave up waiting for news regarding the new game, decided to make my debut as a rally driver.  My first event will be Rally Hadeland 31st of January :D

Benniz said:
In other news: I gave up waiting for news regarding the new game, decided to make my debut as a rally driver.  My first event will be Rally Hadeland 31st of January :D

You will have to report back, we need to know if the roads are too wide, and is the handling just right. :wink: 

Benniz said:

Awesome! :D If u need any tips or information feel free to PM or contact me!
What kinda of rally car do u have? And Norway got awesome rallies! :D
Beside that 31 of January is an awesome date ;-) a ( legend in progress) was born at that date o:)

Benniz said:

Awesome! :D If u need any tips or information feel free to PM or contact me!
What kinda of rally car do u have? And Norway got awesome rallies! :D
Beside that 31 of January is an awesome date ;-) a ( legend in progress) was born at that date o:)

Thanks, Thierry, I will get in touch if I need some! Right now I am getting tips and advice from a long time customer of mine through photographing the Norwegian rally championship, Anders Grøndal, who will be doing WRC2 next year in a DS3 R5. Should be good. I will be driving a Nissan Almera GTI which I will be renting for the event :)

Benniz said:

Good luck, let us know how you get on! Last time I tried to make my driver's seat debut there was a slight fire, so I'm still yet to make the transition!

Benniz said:

Good luck :)

Benniz said:

Good luck :)
Yes good luck - also send pics I'll post them on Facebook :)

I will! Probably going to make some video material too, I will send it to you, Lee :)

I just saw some media outlet post a story about Codie's being in trouble. Not going to give a link since I think it's junk. If you read all of it, I think they are reading this thread and taking some of our crazy predictions and thinking they are fact. It's really funny, that they talk about all of the points written about in this thread, so it really doesn't confirme anything, just another guess, @GentleNameMVB‌ did you write this? (bad joke sorry)

There is a eurogamer article on it, so I wouldn't dismiss it. I'll post the link as it does make some interesting other points about this mysterious new DiRT game which I know nothing about...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-09-layoffs-hit-f1-and-dirt-developer-codemasters

It mentioned an Early Access release of the game, which I *think* was only ever suggested in these forums... we're being watched!!! B)

That said, we know people have been let go, or have left Codemasters, from the various discussions in the forums. That does include Steve Hood of the F1 team, so I'm not sure Eurogamer's article is that accurate.

Interesting that someone suggests the car licensing hasn't been done yet; why else would they model "that car" (which we don't know what it is!) without a license?  :p

Time for Lee to pop over to Eurogamer and straighten the situation perhaps?

It mentioned an Early Access release of the game, which I *think* was only ever suggested in these forums... we're being watched!!! B)

That said, we know people have been let go, or have left Codemasters, from the various discussions in the forums. That does include Steve Hood of the F1 team, so I'm not sure Eurogamer's article is that accurate.

Interesting that someone suggests the car licensing hasn't been done yet; why else would they model "that car" (which we don't know what it is!) without a license?  :p

Time for Lee to pop over to Eurogamer and straighten the situation perhaps?

Haha with 43,9 k views we can't think that we are not being spied, specially every hungry game website or magazine

gfRally said:
I just saw some media outlet post a story about Codie's being in trouble. Not going to give a link since I think it's junk. If you read all of it, I think they are reading this thread and taking some of our crazy predictions and thinking they are fact. It's really funny, that they talk about all of the points written about in this thread, so it really doesn't confirme anything, just another guess, @GentleNameMVB‌ did you write this? (bad joke sorry)
It is my impression that Eurogamer is not just 'some media outlet'. I would not be surprised if they know a number of Codemasters employees personally and could reach out for off the record information. In a situation where there are redundancy consultations and company is in a bit of trouble the sources may even allow their words to be published.

Therefore, I don't think the article is based on our fun Gossip games here at all. Certainly not on my crazy opinions... I was not able to find the press release quoted in the article, but if Eurogamer decides to write about the situation I would hazard a guess they have reliable information. If anyone from Codemasters will challenge what is said then we'll know even more.

The information from the article ties in with what I thought was the case: DiRT development team was small, going through up and downs and following Grid Autosport's average sales the company was unsure what to commit to. It may also be the case they have placed more resources than usual on developing the next-gen engine and F1 game as priority. Now it seems that finance does not allow to retain the staffing levels :(

What I don't understand is why wasn't the team working on Grid Autosport moved onto DiRT once Autosport released? Is there an another GRiD game in development?

Further down-sizing of the team working on DiRT ties in with unfortunate and sad news of some recent departures...

This is the bit of Gossip I didn't expect:
Sources told Eurogamer Codemasters planned to announce the new Dirt soon with a view to an Early Access-style release in the middle of February, but the company has yet to secure car licenses, so this is currently unlikely.

With the knowledge of how small the team may be and bumpy development path it probably is not a surprise there is potentially a delay...

For a while I wanted to see media outlets talk about 'Where's next Codies rally game?' and it's been quite. I'm very saddened that the news appeared due to job losses...

I hope @justbiglee‌'s role is safe, it seems quiet in the forums today  :s
Lets hope the DiRT team got a trip to the Autosport International Show 2015 (in Birmingham) to sign Petter Solberg as game character / racing game star ( after Colin McRae and Ken Block ) That would be an awesome Gossip!

Atleast Birmingham is close to Southam , and many M-Sport rally cars ( and important rally and rallycross related people) are there, for example Petter Solberg, Malcolm Wilson, ( D-Mack thropy winner, rally tallent and Dutch friend Mats van den Brand) and many more!

Lets hope at this positive news ;-) :D 

its really bad for the jobs employees. Codies dont seem to have much respect for their employees. Still at least i will be happy to have a Dirt 4 announcement in february. we have been teased about it since a long time ago. Eurogamer is a great source.

For my own selfishness I kinda hope there is some sort of Early Access for next month.

BUT!  The licensing thing could be a problem if funds are low at Codie's, at work I have spoken with people that worked with licensing logos from car manufactures.  It was an education, the process is not easy and costs are in the thousands for even small run projects.  It is probably in the tens of thousands for the distribution that a game has.  

I only hope the future is bright, and the next DiRT can turn them around financially and also show them that people will spend money on good Rally games.