F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

I know it won't happen but man a livery editor or someway to upload liveries to a server and download to ps4 would be amazing...easports nascar had it for ps3 and it worked pretty good...you could download the template on pc, draw your skin, upload it to the ea server and download to your system.  Then if you wanted your buddies to see the car as you raced, they just had to make sure they downloaded your skin in a link you provided.

Perchance @urgaffel could help me with this, do the CM games (specifically the dirt titles) do proper frame pacing? I'm trying to figure out why Assetto Corsa feels so stuttery and screen teary at 90 FPS whereas DR, D3, D2, DS (Yes I downloaded it, no I haven't played it.)  all feel super butter smooth.
As a side note, DR near maxed on my triples with a single 2gb 960 gets an AVG 90FPS, whereas the "beauty" of Assetto Corsa with lowered "graphical effects" also grants me an average 90... hmm, well optimized there I'd say.
I also like that I can completely max out DS with 8x MSAA and still get a solid 30~fps.
As another side note, who came up with the "nicknames" for DS? It's like you all got drunk and came up with the dumbest shit you could think of. "Yes, I'd like to be called Babe, Kitten, Lovemuffin, Gonk, Twinkletoes, Snuffulufagus, Snippy"... I can't even remember the dumb ones.
Edit* Who thought of Gnarldog? Come on, fess up. Let it out.

JZStudios said:
Perchance @urgaffel could help me with this, do the CM games (specifically the dirt titles) do proper frame pacing? I'm trying to figure out why Assetto Corsa feels so stuttery and screen teary at 90 FPS whereas DR, D3, D2, DS (Yes I downloaded it, no I haven't played it.)  all feel super butter smooth.
As a side note, DR near maxed on my triples with a single 2gb 960 gets an AVG 90FPS, whereas the "beauty" of Assetto Corsa with lowered "graphical effects" also grants me an average 90... hmm, well optimized there I'd say.
I also like that I can completely max out DS with 8x MSAA and still get a solid 30~fps.
As another side note, who came up with the "nicknames" for DS? It's like you all got drunk and came up with the dumbest **** you could think of. "Yes, I'd like to be called Babe, Kitten, Lovemuffin, Gonk, Twinkletoes, Snuffulufagus, Snippy"... I can't even remember the dumb ones.
I find it astonishing that you can max out DR on triples with a 960. I also run triples but with a 1070 and there are certain places where it drops under 60fps.

gfRally said:
zoliRX said:
es you can. :o
Oh, come on. It's not THAT bad. I always give it a quick go when I'm in a filthy casual mood. Quite enjoyable, actually.

:innocent:
ummm... I don't want to know what you do on the other side of the screen... xD
It's better left unseen! :lol:

Edit: What's the (recommended) space requirement for the PSVR? I never thought I would say these words about VR but I'm seriously considering getting one now that DR is playable with it. 

Dirt rally is awesome in VR.
The resolution is much lower than a monitor set up of course, but once you forget about that, the immersion helps driving considerably. You can see the size of the car better, look around naturally, judge the corners and bumps better, the dirt and rain on the windshield is more realistically focused, the sense of speed feels more accurate, and you can just use your real driving reactions better. Also, the headset feels like an uncomfortable helmet. Ha.

Any view besides cockpit view feels wrong and i find it best with the wheel and hands turned off. 

I played for a year with a nice 3 monitor set up, it looked beautiful and was great fun but the VR just makes my inner child freak out.
Its really cool.
:)

I used to really enjoy the immersion of using dashcam with DR, but with a single monitor, it was restrictive and not as fast as bonnetcam.

id quite like to give VR a go, but I'm xb1 now, so that might be unlikely 

KevM said:
I used to really enjoy the immersion of using dashcam with DR, but with a single monitor, it was restrictive and not as fast as bonnetcam.

Are you playing on a wheel on XB1 or a controller? Because you are an absolute mile ahead of me on most stage times! Then again, I do t play an awful lot as I've been trying not to learn the stages as best as I can, I prefer relying on the co-driver

JZStudios said:
JZStudios said:
EDDSkitz said:
VR is still so useless for sim racing.... this announcement is almost as useless as my post.... 

We all want PC fixes and features, this could have been saved for the road book instead of kicking us in the teeth with garbage.
I'm inclined to agree. VR is neat... but... eh.
I've been messing around with essentially the Samsung VR thing all day and I've come to 2 conclusions. 1. My eyes hurt and 2. Battlefield 1 surprisingly works the best. Anything else was just... meh. Does make me want to get the 3D kit for my monitor though.
Are you saying you're using the Gear VR to play PC games?

And I disagree completely with EDDSkitz, using a Rift for Dirt Rally and other racing games and flight sims has made the experience infinitely better and I can't go back to the point I've put off buying F1 2016 because it doesnt have VR support. Its next level immersion, only thing missing is the forces acting on you. Can I ask why you think its useless? I think every racing sim in the future should have VR support built in.
Nah, I'm just watching videos and demos. If only phones let you use them as monitors... man that'd be cool. The old Droid Razers had video out and you could use second screen. It kind of sucks too, because the Samsung phones are much higher PPI than Oculus and Vive.
I'm also not against VR development, mostly because it should also encourage devs to start using that ancient 3d technology again for a much cheaper price. It really uses the same features if you think about it.
This is the battlefield video
https://youtu.be/LFZ7Zn7r5-c
Well no of course not, I don't think anyone will attest to it being like a real vehicle.

If  even at a basic level you're looking at your hands and not the road/track in front of you, then you aren't doing it properly (you as being people in general).

This still doesnt really explain why you think its completely useless when it is far more useful and immersive than a 2D monitor. Especially in a rally car, being able to look into the direction you want to travel with the car sliding is crucial, you can't do this with a monitor unless you use TrackIR.
Uhh, triples... duh. I'm running triples and it's still cheaper than VR. And I have the added bonus of desk space to work with. The best thing for VR is being able to look around, but that also really limits it to cockpit based games. The Vive games are neat, but teleporting everywhere (minus Portal) isn't a brilliant solution to me. People want FPS's'es'esses with this thing and I don't see it happening in any good way other than an on rails shooter.
Also, based on the videos I saw for AC and PCars (Didn't see a whole lot for DiRT)... ehh. Most of the head movement I can do on my triples, and AC sucks for sense of speed... and it's ugly.

Flight sims are also neat to look around in... not sold on them either. Looking around is fairly crucial in things like War Thunder... I guess I just didn't see a huge bonus from the 3d. On another note, other than that battlefield video, nothing seemed that 3d. For example in battlefield there's a large cylindrical windmill, that actually looks cylindrical, most of the other ones didn't look like that, they looked like cardboard cutouts stacked in front of each other.
But hey, if any of you Viveletes or Rifters could record some straight gameplay I'll give it a watch. Most "VR" videos are just watching someone in a headset go "Whooooooaaaaaah."

Fair enough, I'll see if I can record some this afternoon, I'm over the initial WOAH so its ok :)

I can't wait for the January Road Book! I wonder what it is?
It will only be about the confirmation of the new VR modes added to the game.

I'm sure you're correct... wonder if it'll be worth the wait, I'm getting impatient.

Although I'm redesigning the rig and waiting on parts right now, so I'm not able to play.

KevM said:

Are you playing on a wheel on XB1 or a controller? Because you are an absolute mile ahead of me on most stage times! Then again, I do t play an awful lot as I've been trying not to learn the stages as best as I can, I prefer relying on the co-driver
I'm on a Logitech wheel.  My cousin plays with a controller and to be fair to him, is always lightning quick on racing games.  He can equal my times in Germany where the car has predictable grip, but he's 5-15 secs behind nearly everywhere else.

the FFB on DR is that good that I'd safely say it's an unfair advantage to wheel users.  The way it communicates what the car is doing, is immense!

It's definitely very playable on a controller, and you can be very quick, but you will get more out of it on a wheel! Wish I had the space for one in my room, I'd definitely get one sorted!

It's definitely very playable on a controller, and you can be very quick, but you will get more out of it on a wheel! Wish I had the space for one in my room, I'd definitely get one sorted!
I completely agree, but it's like comparing Stereo to Surround sound.  There are just more channels of usable feedback & dimension that can be transmitted by a wheel that a controller just has no facility to produce.  

Tune into that & you should be quicker by default 

bogani said:
JZStudios said:
As another side note, who came up with the "nicknames" for DS? It's like you all got drunk and came up with the dumbest **** you could think of. "Yes, I'd like to be called Babe, Kitten, Lovemuffin, Gonk, Twinkletoes, Snuffulufagus, Snippy"... I can't even remember the dumb ones.
I find it astonishing that you can max out DR on triples with a 960. I also run triples but with a 1070 and there are certain places where it drops under 60fps.
I said almost. I've got 24" monitors, so I keep AA low or off. I've also got AO near off (Since I hate it) and the shaders on low, which gets rid of the weird blur and DOF effects.Also blending, which doesn't do much, creates errors and eats your FPS like crazy.
KevM said:
This reminds me, with my triples and FOV setup when I play in dash cam half the screen gets bisected by the windshield. Rather annoying.
JZStudios said:
JZStudios said:
EDDSkitz said:
VR is still so useless for sim racing.... this announcement is almost as useless as my post.... 

We all want PC fixes and features, this could have been saved for the road book instead of kicking us in the teeth with garbage.
I've been messing around with essentially the Samsung VR thing all day and I've come to 2 conclusions. 1. My eyes hurt and 2. Battlefield 1 surprisingly works the best. Anything else was just... meh. Does make me want to get the 3D kit for my monitor though.

And I disagree completely with EDDSkitz, using a Rift for Dirt Rally and other racing games and flight sims has made the experience infinitely better and I can't go back to the point I've put off buying F1 2016 because it doesnt have VR support. Its next level immersion, only thing missing is the forces acting on you. Can I ask why you think its useless? I think every racing sim in the future should have VR support built in.
Nah, I'm just watching videos and demos. If only phones let you use them as monitors... man that'd be cool. The old Droid Razers had video out and you could use second screen. It kind of sucks too, because the Samsung phones are much higher PPI than Oculus and Vive.
I'm also not against VR development, mostly because it should also encourage devs to start using that ancient 3d technology again for a much cheaper price. It really uses the same features if you think about it.
Well no of course not, I don't think anyone will attest to it being like a real vehicle.

If  even at a basic level you're looking at your hands and not the road/track in front of you, then you aren't doing it properly (you as being people in general).

This still doesnt really explain why you think its completely useless when it is far more useful and immersive than a 2D monitor. Especially in a rally car, being able to look into the direction you want to travel with the car sliding is crucial, you can't do this with a monitor unless you use TrackIR.
Uhh, triples... duh. I'm running triples and it's still cheaper than VR. And I have the added bonus of desk space to work with. The best thing for VR is being able to look around, but that also really limits it to cockpit based games. The Vive games are neat, but teleporting everywhere (minus Portal) isn't a brilliant solution to me. People want FPS's'es'esses with this thing and I don't see it happening in any good way other than an on rails shooter.
Also, based on the videos I saw for AC and PCars (Didn't see a whole lot for DiRT)... ehh. Most of the head movement I can do on my triples, and AC sucks for sense of speed... and it's ugly.

Flight sims are also neat to look around in... not sold on them either. Looking around is fairly crucial in things like War Thunder... I guess I just didn't see a huge bonus from the 3d. On another note, other than that battlefield video, nothing seemed that 3d. For example in battlefield there's a large cylindrical windmill, that actually looks cylindrical, most of the other ones didn't look like that, they looked like cardboard cutouts stacked in front of each other.
But hey, if any of you Viveletes or Rifters could record some straight gameplay I'll give it a watch. Most "VR" videos are just watching someone in a headset go "Whooooooaaaaaah."

Fair enough, I'll see if I can record some this afternoon, I'm over the initial WOAH so its ok :)
On the bright side, I don't think I get motion sickness, I just forget to blink.

JZStudios said:
bogani said:
JZStudios said:
I said almost. I've got 24" monitors, so I keep AA low or off. I've also got AO near off (Since I hate it) and the shaders on low, which gets rid of the weird blur and DOF effects.Also blending, which doesn't do much, creates errors and eats your FPS like crazy.
KevM said:
This reminds me, with my triples and FOV setup when I play in dash cam half the screen gets bisected by the windshield. Rather annoying.
JZStudios said:
JZStudios said:
EDDSkitz said:

On the bright side, I don't think I get motion sickness, I just forget to blink.

What FOV are you using? 

I find the camera mod on Racedepartment extremely useful when using triples as it lets you move the seat around more.

KevM said:
I completely agree, but it's like comparing Stereo to Surround sound.  There are just more channels of usable feedback & dimension that can be transmitted by a wheel that a controller just has no facility to produce.  

I definitely disagree. A good stereo beats surround BS far ahead. 

versedi said:
KevM said:

I definitely disagree. A good stereo beats surround BS far ahead. 
I think you're misunderstanding terms here.

He's saying stereo (2.x channel sound technology) Vs a surround system, multiple speakers setup to immerse.  Not some music comparison for some unit.

Yes, I mean a controller is fine but can't deliver the same feedback and information as what a wheel does on this game. 

Being a controller user, playing on a wheel at codies the other month I was amazed by how the wheel reacts to the game, and how genuine it behaved. It really felt like an actual rally car

Being a controller user, playing on a wheel at codies the other month I was amazed by how the wheel reacts to the game, and how genuine it behaved. It really felt like an actual rally car
Hmm. FFB on loose surfaces is ok/good. On tarmac it's much too vague.
The way the the wheel returns to the center during transitions isn't really fast enough imo.

However, you might have played something else to what we currently have ;)

bogani said:
The way the the wheel returns to the center during transitions isn't really fast enough imo.

You can tune that though.  My wheel FFB settings are far from out-of-the-box

bogani said:

Haha, nope, I was taking about when I played PSVR dirt rally. It was the first time in over a year that I played on a wheel, which is why I found it so good

bogani said:

Turn your Self Aligning Torque up & your wheel & tyre friction way down.  Makes a world of difference