F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

tbtstt said:
Also, as @Rallycameraman found out, I'm not as good at virtual co-driving as I am at real life co-driving! I put it down to being an Xbox player and having no idea of the PlayStation controller layout!
I saw the whole thing from across the room. I thought @Rallycameraman was going to go full-Galli on you. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmp_ELOZdwM

:smiley:
I was getting ready to run!

JZStudios said:
So... apparently Dirt Showdown is the only one that doesn't support the Fanatec GT2. Welp, guess that means I can free up my hard drive space again.
Back when I first got it, my Logitech Formula Force EX (the wheel that I had at the time) wasn't supported either. When I tried to set it up, it would just lock up the game. But manually adding a key map in the actionmap folder did work. I copied one of the existing files as a template and replaced the name and the according buttons and axis (it also helps, if you know, which buttons are which), and afterwards adding in the path for the modified file in the actionMapPaths.xml file. It takes a bit of messing around and is a bit trial and error, but you can get it working, if you want  

BadD0g said:
JZStudios said:
So... apparently Dirt Showdown is the only one that doesn't support the Fanatec GT2. Welp, guess that means I can free up my hard drive space again.
You don't have a controller? Seems like the proper choice for that sort of game.
I do... but why would I use something massively inferior? :P I already have Dirt 2, 3, and Rally. I also uninstalled Grid, the physics were just too weird.
JZStudios said:
Does anyone else get weird stutters and hitches in AC?
Yeah, I do have stutters and hitches in AC on my PC (i7 2600k @4,5Ghz, GTX760, 16gb ram) with high settings and it doesn't even look that good.

About DR optimisation: it runs pretty well on almost every config I've tried so far.
Yeah, it's weird. AC is literally unplayable. It says I get 90FPS but I get screen tears that last half a second or longer. Going around hairpins hurts my eyes. My setup is a central 144hz and 2 60hz surround, so I get having some tearing on my outside monitors occasionally, but AC is TERRIBLE. I've got an OC'd 8350 and a 960. PCars running at 25fps feels smoother and looks better.
Didzis said:
JZStudios said:
Back when I first got it, my Logitech Formula Force EX (the wheel that I had at the time) wasn't supported either. When I tried to set it up, it would just lock up the game. But manually adding a key map in the actionmap folder did work. I copied one of the existing files as a template and replaced the name and the according buttons and axis (it also helps, if you know, which buttons are which), and afterwards adding in the path for the modified file in the actionMapPaths.xml file. It takes a bit of messing around and is a bit trial and error, but you can get it working, if you want  
Yeah I tried that. I think my wheel was being weird at the time too, but it suddenly started working after I uninstalled it. :/  Oh well. The Crew is decently fun enough, with the added bonus of it being free a little while ago.

I also feel like the DiRT crew may have gone over board with Cha dude, Bro! just to make a point. I think they pushed it so far that the game tanked to show the higher ups people don't like it.

You can play the crew but not grid?! I'm a bit biased because I was a huge fan of grid, but I couldn't stand the physics in the crew, just found the cars unpredictable to drive. Grid is very arcade, but I always felt it was a solid handling model that was easy to learn and difficult to master.

I think everyone has different levels of tolerance for the way cars feel in arcade games. For example, I was able to adjust to Burnout Paradise pretty easily and I ended up really loving that game, but when I tried The Crew I just hated how the cars felt. The game also ran pretty bad, so I ended up uninstalling it, but when I tried Grid I couldn't get comfortable with that either. I think for me, if it tries to be a middle-ground between realism and arcadiness, my brain is like "not real enough, doesn't make sense" and I can't get used to it. But if it forgoes realism altogether like Burnout, or if the model is primitive enough that it doesn't feel realistic anymore like the old CMR games, I can get used to it no problem. Seems like sort of an "uncanny valley" effect I guess.

I can kind of see that, I'm probably the opposite though. If it's aracade but still feels authentic and behaves how you would expect, even if dumbed down a bit. It's when nothing reacts In any way remotely similar to real life I struggle

You can play the crew but not grid?! I'm a bit biased because I was a huge fan of grid, but I couldn't stand the physics in the crew, just found the cars unpredictable to drive. Grid is very arcade, but I always felt it was a solid handling model that was easy to learn and difficult to master.
I actually just spent all day playing the Crew. It actually feels pretty good with a wheel. When's the last time you tried it? They've done a whole bunch of massive physics overhauls.
It still has some weird... anomalies? My biggest gripe is that certain "specs" really only work well in their own specific environment. The second a "street" car touches dirt it drops speed like nobody's business and likes to spin out. Hell, even the "dirt" cars only like dirt roads. Anything offroad requires raid... it's dumb. That's why I like Forza's physics. It's all predictable everywhere you go. But hey, it's still a big open world with lot's to see.
My big problem with grid is that it only really liked ~360dor, which I don't. And the drift cars or whatever were super dumb, which they also are in the Crew... so... The main "race" cars in Grid were fine.. but.. eh. It doesn't really bring anything to the table I don't have in the other Dirt games, PCars, AC, Race07... whatever version.
BadD0g said:
I think everyone has different levels of tolerance for the way cars feel in arcade games. For example, I was able to adjust to Burnout Paradise pretty easily and I ended up really loving that game, but when I tried The Crew I just hated how the cars felt. The game also ran pretty bad, so I ended up uninstalling it, but when I tried Grid I couldn't get comfortable with that either. I think for me, if it tries to be a middle-ground between realism and arcadiness, my brain is like "not real enough, doesn't make sense" and I can't get used to it. But if it forgoes realism altogether like Burnout, or if the model is primitive enough that it doesn't feel realistic anymore like the old CMR games, I can get used to it no problem. Seems like sort of an "uncanny valley" effect I guess.
So... I'm running the Crew on triples with my 960 maxed out (Minus AO, blur, DOF, and AA (But the AA is nitpicking)) and I'm getting about 45 FPS. Which... seems decent. I just wish you could increase the LOD, cause hot damn it's bad. But that might also be a texture streaming/2gb GPU limitation...
And now I really want to see a next-gen Burnout...
I'm still waiting for Criterion to announce literally anything about their "Beyond cars" game. They announced it years ago and haven't said anything since. I also still want Big Surf Island on PC.

GRID and Crew are a bit similar in a way, both are playable with a wheel, but feel just a little off. Both feel a bit floaty to drive with a wheel, the Crew a bit more than GRID though.
I actually like how the Crew plays, after you get used to the floatyness. Try driving a Street or a Perfomance car on those snowy mountain roads, it's a joy to drift there

I played it a few months ago because it was the free game of the month on Xbox. Don't have a wheel so I haven't tried, but I just really didn't like it! Oh well, it was free so I only wasted time on it in the end! I am missing a proper driving game right now, is love grid autosport on backwards compatible! Wasn't the best game, but there was some pretty good racing to be done in the touring cars

Didzis said:
GRID and Crew are a bit similar in a way, both are playable with a wheel, but feel just a little off. Both feel a bit floaty to drive with a wheel, the Crew a bit more than GRID though.
I actually like how the Crew plays, after you get used to the floatyness. Try driving a Street or a Perfomance car on those snowy mountain roads, it's a joy to drift there

Yeah it really is a great world to just 'drive' in. I had my Skyline off road modded and just drove around in the forests and mountains, I had it on PS4 to play with friends so my G25 wouldnt work, would have been more fun with a wheel I imagine.

The gossip thread waitin on the Jan roadbook like...(I know, I shoulda photoshopped a Kebab pizza in there...no time for it.

wfwr26 said:
The gossip thread waitin on the Jan roadbook like...(I know, I shoulda photoshopped a Kebab pizza in there...no time for it.
This is a great example of what happens without Kebabpizza.

I played it a few months ago because it was the free game of the month on Xbox. Don't have a wheel so I haven't tried, but I just really didn't like it! Oh well, it was free so I only wasted time on it in the end! I am missing a proper driving game right now, is love grid autosport on backwards compatible! Wasn't the best game, but there was some pretty good racing to be done in the touring cars
I will definitely say the Crew is better with a wheel. There's too many oddities with a pad. Biggest example would be sometimes after huge jumps there's nothing in the wheel whatsoever. Smoothest landing from a 150 foot jump you could think of. Other times on small jumps, or even steep inclinations can cause it to veer wildly to left or right. It's impossible to control on pad, it's just a weird annoyance most of the time on wheel. I did get bored at a friends house and played through it on the Xbox with a controller, and it's definitely not as fun.

Fair enough, unfortunately I'll probably never try it on a wheel!

It's fun when you know when certain road books containing certain information are going to be released!

It's fun when you know when certain road books containing certain information are going to be released!
You should be banned....

lol

I agree, the new kebabpizza gymkhana mode is pretty great! amirite?

Dytut said:
wfwr26 said:
This is a great example of what happens without Kebabpizza.
I wonder what that house is worth...

JZStudios said: I'm still waiting for Criterion to announce literally anything about their "Beyond cars" game. They announced it years ago and haven't said anything since. I also still want Big Surf Island on PC.
Sadly it's been cancelled a while ago:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-22-burnout-creator-criterion-now-working-on-eas-star-wars-projects-extreme-sports-game-canned

Although you can hack Big Surf Island into Burnout Paradise, apparently: http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/01/01/burnout-paradises-big-surf-island-unofficially-ported-to-pc/68258/

I believe it's called the Vanity Pack, when I last looked briefly into it.

KevM said:

You should be banned....

lol
When the day does come, it will be worth the wait and teasing! I'm very much looking forward to being able to talk about it!

JZStudios said: I'm still waiting for Criterion to announce literally anything about their "Beyond cars" game. They announced it years ago and haven't said anything since. I also still want Big Surf Island on PC.
Sadly it's been cancelled a while ago:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-22-burnout-creator-criterion-now-working-on-eas-star-wars-projects-extreme-sports-game-canned
Figures. Thanks again EA. A lot of the comments were about Criterion being the support like Neversoft was, and not being able to make anything new. Neversoft has since been dissolved into the rest of Activision, what a wonderful company they are.
And the lead guys from Criterion branched off to do that stupid golf game everyone knew was going to fail. Though I think they said they're working on a "spiritual successor" to Burnout.

Just bought the Nixim brake and clutch mod for my G25 pedals, I have a feeling once I install it I will feel like an absolute pleb for not doing it beforehand. Anyone else done it?

Just bought the Nixim brake and clutch mod for my G25 pedals, I have a feeling once I install it I will feel like an absolute pleb for not doing it beforehand. Anyone else done it?
No, I plan to, but I have recently spent too much lately on my hobby 

gfRally said:
No, I plan to, but I have recently spent too much lately on my hobby 
Tbh, £33 for 2 springs and a little bit of material is a lot but I imagine he has the cover costs. I have a big problem with locking the wheels in AC because they're linear so these should help a lot. I also can't heel-toe with it currently because I always press the brake too much. It could just be me though lol