DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Guys! This is a more fleshed out version of dirt rally. The sim handling is improved from dirt rally a lot and felt really good. The stages, even though generated, still felt like proper stages, and the pacenotes were absolutely fine. This game is a true successor to Dirt Rally, it just caters to a wider audience by having an optional arcade handling mode.
Dont know why everyone's gotta be all up in arms...you lucky few got to go try this game...I would think if it wasnt going to be worthy of having a go, you'd let us know.  I for one cant wait for it, all of my friends are casual gamers and prefer arcade handling, so I can race and mess around with them online in a fun setting...I however prefer the hardcoreness of dirt rally.  Sounds like I'll still get that option for when I'm playing offline or wanting the challenge in a league.  This should open up codies to more funding as it strikes a broader audience.  A lot of people bought dirt rally thinking it wasnt going to be as hardcore as it was, and those people traded it back in right away.  I for one did because I didnt initially have a wheel on ps4.  I've since come back and cant get enough of it.  Cant wait for June!

I will say this, so it doesn't seem like I'm just hating...

The sim/arcade switch seems good, and I trust the posters here that have been there and say it's good. 
I am a bit worried about integration between the two on leaderboard.

I love the procedurally generated track idea..... if it works.
It would absolutely NEED a pace note creator. 

This also feels like it's setup for DLC, which I'm okay with, so long as it means more REAL laser mapped stages in the future. 

While some stages are fresh every year, or have different configuration, most drivers DO memorize sections and corners of stages. Sometimes even entire stages! 

Having a variety is really awesome, but to sacrifice realism from actual stages for completely random ones I feel may be a mistake.

The leaderboards are split down the middle, so there's different leaderboards for both types of handling.

The stages did feel like proper stages. I'm going to try and explain how it works, but I'm not 100% sure if this is correct so don't take my word for it.

So basically, there are multiple 'tiles' in each location. When you generate a stage, these are randomly stitched together to create a stage. The tiles are also altered slightly by the 'complexity' slider, which I think changed things like tightness of some corners and things.

Again, bit 100% sure if that's right, but I think that's how it worked.

Guys! This is a more fleshed out version of dirt rally. The sim handling is improved from dirt rally a lot and felt really good. The stages, even though generated, still felt like proper stages, and the pacenotes were absolutely fine. This game is a true successor to Dirt Rally, it just caters to a wider audience by having an optional arcade handling mode.
I'm sorry but I do not think it is as you say.
Not only they have NOT added new tracks but have even decreased (Monte Carlo, Finland) ..
real successor of Dirt Rally .. there are Gr.B? WRC? .. In short, at least the cars currently present, there will be?
I think not, is not a Rally game .. it's just a soup

the 2 new rallycross laps...
Montalegre  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vadguwfy_jE
Loheac Brittany https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkg6MRNdRck

It's all getting a bit shouty in here, ain't it? lol

Frickin' storm alright  :#

R4MO78 said:
Not only they have NOT added new tracks but have even decreased (Monte Carlo, Finland) ..
real successor of Dirt Rally .. there are Gr.B? WRC? .. In short, at least the cars currently present, there will be?
I don't really know how it's soup, but anyway.

Theres 1 less rally location than in dirt rally. Wales and Sweden return, but with all new stages. In addition, the track generator means that there is even more rally content than in Dirt Rally. There were also more classes of rally cars I believe than in dirt rally, including group b.

One thing I'll clear up, no there probably won't be any WRC cars, they couldn't get licences for any unfortunately. But there was a beefy looking R5 class, with 4 or 5 cars in it

R4MO78 said:

Theres 1 less rally location than in dirt rally. Wales and Sweden return, but with all new stages. In addition, the track generator means that there is even more rally content than in Dirt Rally. There were also more classes of rally cars I believe than in dirt rally, including group b.

One thing I'll clear up, no there probably won't be any WRC cars, they couldn't get licences for any unfortunately. But there was a beefy looking R5 class, with 4 or 5 cars in it
.. I thank you for your kindness and sincerity ..
In the end it was as I thought

The leaderboards are split down the middle, so there's different leaderboards for both types of handling.

The stages did feel like proper stages. I'm going to try and explain how it works, but I'm not 100% sure if this is correct so don't take my word for it.

So basically, there are multiple 'tiles' in each location. When you generate a stage, these are randomly stitched together to create a stage. The tiles are also altered slightly by the 'complexity' slider, which I think changed things like tightness of some corners and things.

Again, bit 100% sure if that's right, but I think that's how it worked.
Sounds close enough to how it would have to work, thanks.... still hoping for custom pace notes.

R4MO78 said:

How long is an averrage special stage? (DR: ~7km)

Edit; About the cars...it's obvious there will be more classes but less cars in each - it's because of the carreer mode where you need to have a possibility to progress. 

I'm mainly gutted that the content that was in DR didn't went into DiRT 4, while the game shows little if any improvements in the graphical department.

I always say quality over quantity, but so far it seems it's... neither. I hope to be proven wrong though.

PS. I don't count the generator into track amounts since... I won't be ever using it. So for me it's only the 5 RX tracks and stages from those 5 locations.

Why are custom pacenotes important?  Paul's notes were a game-changer ( if it's English you mean of course )

Can anyone who's played D4 talk about the co-drivers in the handmade stages? Are Grist and Horsey's calls recorded naturally like in Dirt Rally, or are they stitched-together samples like in the before-times?

I can't remember stage lengths, they were similar to dirt rally I think.

There is quantity and quality on offer! The gameplay is coming from an early PS4 build, so don't worry about that. It looked good from what we played on pc back in November!

#disappointed

I was expecting a DiRT Rally 2, and not a D4.  I'll wait for more info, but i'm not really hyped.

What about soundtrack? Will be super pumpy like in Dirt 2 - 3 or similar to dirt rally?

Ok, the snippets we have at the minute are merely teasers.  What we know is minimal, so no-one should be jumping the gun at this point.

If the marketing department are clever, they need to spin this as DiRT Rally, but evolved, with an extra jalapenos and a big portion of kebab meat on the side, or the purist D:R guys here might become switched off with the added dudeness, even though THE RALLY ASPECT DOES SOUND AWESOME!!!

R4MO78 said:

Hah I knew it. Sad to see the wrc cars go though. But I kinda prefer the r5's anyway.
So for R5 I'm thinking the following
Ford Fiesta R5 (Pretty obvious)
Mitsubishi Mirage R5
Hyundai i20 R5
Peugeot 208 R5
And either the Citröen DS3 R5 or the Skoda Fabia R5. I'm hoping for the latter

Not that I look at the list I just realized that is pretty much all of the R5's

Cant complain with having almost all of them in the game

wfwr26 said:
the 2 new rallycross laps...
Montalegre  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vadguwfy_jE
Loheac Brittany https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkg6MRNdRck
But not Trois-Rivières ?

Seriously, I hope they will had the Trois-Rivières rallycross track in the final Dirt 4 game

EDDSkitz said:
I will say this, so it doesn't seem like I'm just hating...

The sim/arcade switch seems good, and I trust the posters here that have been there and say it's good. 
I am a bit worried about integration between the two on leaderboard.

I love the procedurally generated track idea..... if it works.
It would absolutely NEED a pace note creator. 

This also feels like it's setup for DLC, which I'm okay with, so long as it means more REAL laser mapped stages in the future. 

While some stages are fresh every year, or have different configuration, most drivers DO memorize sections and corners of stages. Sometimes even entire stages! 

Having a variety is really awesome, but to sacrifice realism from actual stages for completely random ones I feel may be a mistake.
The track generator works. How well does it work Skid? Well, they asked me what I thought about it and I said I hadn't tried it yet, unaware that I'd been trying it for 3 hours at that point.

Again, there are real, actual stages in game and a track editor. They are 2 seperate things, like the arcade/sim handling. You want to race random tracks, you can, if you don't, don't.

I'll be totally honest here. When we first walked into the room I was hugely disappointed because I was looking at an orange backdrop with the legend DiRT4 on it. Then @KickUp starting explaining some stuff, I wasn't really listening at the start, I just kept thinking "DiRT4? Bollocks, we're going backwards". I started listening when he started talking about how the game was designed be the best of both worlds to appeal to both types of racers, purists and arcaders, with 2 different, selectable, handling styles. You chose which you want.

When they finally let us loose on the machines all my doubts disappeared. I was playing with sim handling, the lad next to me was using arcade as that is what we are used to. Both of us were happy chappy's, both handling models were working perfectly. The pacenotes were being called by 2 different people (1 would call 1 note, then the other would call out the next), but were called at the right times (in game you will be able to chose between the 2).

When it was over I was just as excited about DiRT4 as I had been about DiRT Rally 2.

RallyDriven said:

Theres 1 less rally location than in dirt rally. Wales and Sweden return, but with all new stages.
From what I've read so far it looks to me like Monte, Finland, Germany & Greece are gone, that's quite a lot tbh.
I'm a bit dissapointed as well in all honesty. Yes it's very nice the game has expanded with new race modes, but to see it was added at the cost of rally content is dissapointing...

dwkGravey said:
Can anyone who's played D4 talk about the co-drivers in the handmade stages? Are Grist and Horsey's calls recorded naturally like in Dirt Rally, or are they stitched-together samples like in the before-times?
Stitched together, they have to be. You can't run every possible variation of track and record the audio for it in 1 continuous string