DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

dwkGravey said:
Can anyone who's played D4 talk about the co-drivers in the handmade stages? Are Grist and Horsey's calls recorded naturally like in Dirt Rally, or are they stitched-together samples like in the before-times?
Stitched together, they have to be. You can't run every possible variation of track and record the audio for it in 1 continuous string
Sorry, I meant for the prebuilt stages, not the randomly-generated stages.

As I was somewhat expecting, no WRC. Very well, R5 it is and glad to hear it seems to be a pretty fleshed out class. For me, I think the R5s will be the ones homologated (like they said, they want cars actually being used around the world in various championships):

- Ford Fiesta R5
- Peugeot 208 T16 R5
- Citroen DS3 R5
- Skoda Fabia R5
- Hyundai i20 R5

EDIT: the Mirage R5 is of that spec, but it's only accepted in certain countries, plus it's not a project endorsed by the manufacturer IIRC.

sqdstr said:
RallyDriven said:

Theres 1 less rally location than in dirt rally. Wales and Sweden return, but with all new stages.
From what I've read so far it looks to me like Monte, Finland, Germany & Greece are gone, that's quite a lot tbh.
I'm a bit dissapointed as well in all honesty. Yes it's very nice the game has expanded with new race modes, but to see it was added at the cost of rally content is dissapointing...
Yeah, those four are gone, but Australia, Michigan and Spain are replacing them.

dwkGravey said:
dwkGravey said:
Can anyone who's played D4 talk about the co-drivers in the handmade stages? Are Grist and Horsey's calls recorded naturally like in Dirt Rally, or are they stitched-together samples like in the before-times?
Stitched together, they have to be. You can't run every possible variation of track and record the audio for it in 1 continuous string
Sorry, I meant for the prebuilt stages, not the randomly-generated stages.
No idea, we never tested the real tracks

dwkGravey said:
If i heard correctly from Coleman in the post under you it seems like they put both Grist and Horsey in the Dbox. So it may be a comprimise?

dwkGravey said:
If i heard correctly from Coleman un the post under you it seems like they put both Grist and Horsey in the Dbox. So it may be a comprimise?
I'm watching that now, and just heard that. "Putting Grist in the D-Box and having him rattle around was quite fun."

Wow. I go to sleep one night, wake up the next morning, Dirt 4 has been released and there's 18 new pages of initial hype, then sudden switch to shitting all over a 50 second announcement ad. Well done gents.
For any that don't know how random generation works (Assuming their using Random, and not the more complex Procedural) The stage bits will all be pre-made assets that get stitched together. This is a FANTASTIC thing for you @EDDSkitz (So you can frankly shut up about pace notes [No offense intended]) because being pre-made sections, the notes can be pre-recorded and just as good as Dirt Rally. If you aren't using Pauls original British voice, and instead have issues with some other translation... maybe they could've pulled in some other people to do proper recordings.
To everyone else, again being pre-made sections it can retain all the qualities of the tight twisty technical roads you guys love. It's literally the best solution to the problem.

The graphics are definitely way better, not sure how you don't see an improvement... I sure noticed those FumeFX renders @urgaffel has been working on (Great job.)

The location list is a little bit disappointing though, I loved Greece. I guess Australia's close, but there's no drop to your death. I'm super excited for the trucks and buggies, even if there's a lack of Ken Block and Gymkhana. The Focus better have an American flag livery or my head will burst.
I just hope if they do do DLC that it's free upgrades as I more than likely won't purchase any... except if the game isn't full price... or it's really good... like really good.

The notes sounded like dirt rally's stages, even though I think they were recorded differently. They still sounded authentic basically.

There's a special dirt show coming soon, so you'll see some more soon.

There were a lot of cool new features in the game, including a flying finish and driving up to the control boards, competitors crashing and breaking down in stages, so you would see spectators flag you down in the stage as you passed the crashed car, and probably some more I've forgotten!

Will we have a Dirtfish complex?  That'd be great to Joyride about in!

It's kinda sad seeing many people here and on the social medias all jumping to conclusions just because the title hasn't got the word 'rally' in it. 
If they would only just read what is being announced and see there is a improved sim handling model, as well as an more arcadish mode. But no, all are jumping from the hypetrain straight onto the nopetrain. Also not everything HAS been announced, and yet oh so many people know exactly which things are not included and how bad everything is without having seen anything at all.

Just wanted to end on that I think it all looks very promising and I can't wait until I can get my hands on it. I was playing DiRT 2 after the buggy episode from The Grand Tour, and imagining how awesome it would be to drive these with the DiRT Rally handling model. 

There were a lot of cool new features in the game, including a flying finish and driving up to the control boards, competitors crashing and breaking down in stages, so you would see spectators flag you down in the stage as you passed the crashed car, and probably some more I've forgotten!
OMG OMG OMG OMG

It's kinda sad seeing many people here and on the social medias all jumping to conclusions just because the title hasn't got the word 'rally' in it. 
If they would only just read what is being announced and see there is a improved sim handling model, as well as an more arcadish mode. But no, all are jumping from the hypetrain straight onto the nopetrain. Also not everything HAS been announced, and yet oh so many people know exactly which things are not included and how bad everything is without having seen anything at all.

Just wanted to end on that I think it all looks very promising and I can't wait until I can get my hands on it. I was playing DiRT 2 after the buggy episode from The Grand Tour, and imagining how awesome it would be to drive these with the DiRT Rally handling model. 
Should've called it Dirt 4: Rally 2.

just wrote kinda similar on another forum.aslong as the dirt rally feel is in this or better im happy. the track generator for me is a big plus as i know i can play different stages all the time.being a real location helps but if i were to choose 8 real over endless that would make no sense.especially gameplay wise.

different vehicles events are fine aswell.i find them fun.also with a new sim style handling could be a real laugh.only hinderance for this games launch is people looking at previous games and just assuming the new will be the same.dirt rally showed us that wasnt so i confident this next game will be great also.

CMMcBabe said:
That went fairly went fairly well I think.

• Doner Kebab is required.
  • Doner Kebab is 40 characters too short.

Can't help but think after reading these forums and social media that there's a hell of a lot of ungrateful spoilt people out there. It's quite sad really. 

Codemasters shouldn't take it personally though.  
They took a niche, reached out to all the rally purist connoisseurs and catered for them with Dirt Rally.
At this point, the ex-DiRT Rally rally purists are the bulk of today's audience and naturally, as connoisseurs, we'll be the most critical.  

Soon, word will spread to all the guys who loved the previous DiRT titles but found D:R a bit too hardcore and off-putting, and they'll be ultra-hyped & excited that the new title wont be as full-on.

If Codemasters dont release a single car, single stage Demo to get the rally-head doubters horned up, they are missing a trick. 

Yes, the game is spiced up a bit to cater for different tastes, but the Rally bit seems to be impressing everyone who has experienced it

Dirt fish rally school was really cool. I played with the stadium trucks too, they were a lot of fun! Especially the rear wheel drive Ines, they were my favourite. There were 4x4 ones too.

Rallycross has also been improved a LOT. The handling was miles better, especially on Tarmac. There was also a lot more detail in the spotter calls

R4MO78 said:
Guys! This is a more fleshed out version of dirt rally. The sim handling is improved from dirt rally a lot and felt really good. The stages, even though generated, still felt like proper stages, and the pacenotes were absolutely fine. This game is a true successor to Dirt Rally, it just caters to a wider audience by having an optional arcade handling mode.
I'm sorry but I do not think it is as you say.
Not only they have NOT added new tracks but have even decreased (Monte Carlo, Finland) ..
real successor of Dirt Rally .. there are Gr.B? WRC? .. In short, at least the cars currently present, there will be?
I think not, is not a Rally game .. it's just a soup
I don't really know how it's soup, but anyway.

Theres 1 less rally location than in dirt rally. Wales and Sweden return, but with all new stages. In addition, the track generator means that there is even more rally content than in Dirt Rally. There were also more classes of rally cars I believe than in dirt rally, including group b.

One thing I'll clear up, no there probably won't be any WRC cars, they couldn't get licences for any unfortunately. But there was a beefy looking R5 class, with 4 or 5 cars in it
No WRC's. Thats strange. I understand that the 2017 cars can't be added, but older models like in DR without the WRC tag shouldn't be impossible? Strange that no manufacturer would let them use older cars.

If there are no F2's I'll be crying :(

KevM said:

If Codemasters dont release a single car, single stage Demo to get the rally-head doubters horned up, they are missing a trick. 

Not trying to be negative about demos, they are great.  The problem with them is they require a lot of development time that is not time on the main game.  You need to make a new build with the content cut (and hopefully not break something), add the new bespoke content (with all the testing involved), a pile of first party paperwork and send it to first parties where it gets the same level of testing as a full title (and can still fail at this point).

They can be very rewarding, but are also very costly.

https://twitter.com/SolbergFanClub/status/824683750017601537

https://twitter.com/SolbergFanClub/status/824673679737061376

CMMcBabe said:
KevM said:

Not trying to be negative about demos, they are great.  The problem with them is they require a lot of development time that is not time on the main game.  You need to make a new build with the content cut (and hopefully not break something), add the new bespoke content (with all the testing involved), a pile of first party paperwork and send it to first parties where it gets the same level of testing as a full title (and can still fail at this point).

They can be very rewarding, but are also very costly.
Just release a Steam beta! ;) *wink*

Dirt fish rally school was really cool. I played with the stadium trucks too, they were a lot of fun! Especially the rear wheel drive Ines, they were my favourite. There were 4x4 ones too.

May I ask, were they licensed trucks, or generic ones?

Also, since the trailer has a heartbeat theme to it, it remind me that you should use a song, for your intro, from another title with a theme of heartbeat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UzNI-bXJw0&list=PL064566DDE0717BB4