DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Etirion said:
KevM said:
Never mind Kris Meeke, I'd happily do a Hardcore Simulation mode RWD teaser vid for the community if you like?  

All heart, me! lol

(You have RWD rally cars planned for the new game, right??)   :s
Think the 70s cars are the same, 80s cars are the same plus the Ascona 400. 
Perhaps you'll be able to answer my burning question if the 037 is in again? :D
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's still in there. 

Etirion said:
KevM said:
Never mind Kris Meeke, I'd happily do a Hardcore Simulation mode RWD teaser vid for the community if you like?  

All heart, me! lol

(You have RWD rally cars planned for the new game, right??)   :s
Think the 70s cars are the same, 80s cars are the same plus the Ascona 400. 
Perhaps you'll be able to answer my burning question if the 037 is in again? :D
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's still in there. 
Drove any RWD's?

Got to see any replays? :)

Has anyone mentioned the random appearance of a crashed or broken down competitor on stage with the crew slowing you down? Another cool little feature that's been included following feedback. 

I am so excited by the potential of the stage generator. I'm also really appreciating the devs catering to both sim people and more easy-going people for two separate experiences.

Has anyone mentioned the random appearance of a crashed or broken down competitor on stage with the crew slowing you down? Another cool little feature that's been included following feedback. 
Yep! I've been busy answering questions for a while! Haha!

If anyone didn't see the redbull article, I'll post it again because it's a good read.

http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331841547561/dirt-4-interview-red-bull-games

Yeah, I can see that resulting in many smashed monitors - lol

Picture the scene, you are completely on it, destroying your best time on the splits and get to the final sector to come across some tool on his roof with pacenotes and plastic bottles strewn all over the stage, and put a wheel into a verge trying to squeeze past at full race-pace, only to catch a big rock and put yourself into a field with a wheel off  :D

Rally over!

KevM said:
Yeah, I can see that resulting in many smashed monitors - lol

Picture the scene, you are completely on it, destroying your best time on the splits and get to the final sector to come across some tool on his roof with pacenotes and plastic bottles strewn all over the stage, and put a wheel into a verge trying to squeeze past at full race-pace, only to catch a big rock and put yourself into a field with a wheel off  :D

Rally over!
Haha! No, there are spectators on the edge of the stage a little way ahead of where the accident is flagging you down, like you'd see on a real event. The car that I passed was off the stage though and wasn't actually blocking it. And before I started the stage, Paul told me that I didn't need to push too hard in this stage because my competitor had crashed out. I was surprised when I saw the car, and I had a big smile on my face!

Here in an interesting clip.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPvNyeklJRu/?taken-by=sandrogueone 

We have an actual service area now :open_mouth:
5 gear into 3 right, without throttle - great idea :P

After what you're all saying (the NDA'ers) my dissapointment have been made even smaller and my hopes are bring back up. 

Does the simulation/arcade mode affects only rally or other disciplines too?

---
Edit: Did I see a Lancer EVO IV or VI somewhere on screenshot? Maybe both?

Yes! And the new way you repair cars is awesome! So rather than dirt rally's simplistic percentage system, you now first 'inspect' to find out what is wrong with certain parts of the car like engine or suspension etc. Then you can do either quick repairs or substantial repairs or replace parts altogether, taking up different amounts of time each

One other interesting note I just realized is that the gloves on the driver the clip I posted have a different color than the gloves on the driver in the clip with Solberg posted earlier. So could it mean we will get custumizable race suits?

I went to both the playtest and today's announcement event, AMA.

Seriously though, I thought I would add my own two cents to this.

The best way I can describe the difference between the two handling models is arcade is the simulation handling but:

- The steering is snappier giving faster reactions (as in not realistic)
- The stopping distance is reduced, either this is some form of ABS or just built in
- The effect of understeer is reduced
- You dont need to 'set the car up' for the corner, you can just drive it

So think of it as sim first and then dialed back from there. Thats all I can think of, @rallydriven the handling has changed a little bit since our test day and with the input afterwards of both Meeke and Solberg, it has been tightened up.

'Your Stage' is a great feature which I can see both sides of the argument for. No they're not real stages and randomly generated so the fine detail of DR tracks won't necessarily be there (which is why Monte Carlo isnt there) however they are perfect at keeping you on your toes and more akin to real rally where you don't get to run the stage dozens of times for practice.

Having random cars crashed at the side of the stage is cool! Just adds to the randomness of the stage and immersion. 

While everyone expected Dirt Rally 2, Codemasters are a company. They are here to make money, they have to appeal not only to the hardcore sim fans but also the broader market who just want to pick up and play. This game pleases both sides of the pond and perfectly. Seperate leaderboards, seperate lobbies etc.

Rallycross has also been improved handling wise, it wasnt there to show today but trying it back at the playtest, the tarmac physics are soooo much better. The cars no longer snap from one side to the other or have nasty understeer, its just right.

Landrush is the similar sort of thing, great dirt handling for RWD buggies and trucks.

Thats all I can think of for the moment! Oh yeah, pace notes work FINE.

So there will be tools for making custom stages, but real-life stages on top of that? Well then it's a godsend isn't it? I can find no reason to complain!

• Tuning: Improve setup based on vehicle, conditions and weather conditions

Tyres? Are you able to choose tyres? 

Porkhammer said:
So there will be tools for making custom stages, but real-life stages on top of that? Well then it's a godsend isn't it? I can find no reason to complain!
Gotta agree! At first I've understood that there will be no real stages at all. Well it sounded like that at least for me.

Well, well, well! I was at school all day, but I took every free second I had to check this thread and watch the excitement (and minor drama) unfold! Here's what I think:

-The random stage generator makes it so that even if you've memorized the real stages, you still have an opportunity to get the "racing blind" experience that comes from running a stage for the first time. This feeling is one of my favorite things about rally, but it's inevitable that you'll memorize stages in a rally game, even if you try not to. Personally I think having real-world stages AND a randomizer is the perfect solution to this, as there's now an 'authentic' option and a 'spirit of rally' option.

-The arcade/sim option is very cool, I never really thought that a game could support both styles of physics in one engine so I never considered it as a possible option, so I'm quite happy to see that. This should hopefully build a wide enough audience with the game that it could be used as a platform for future content like we wanted DR to be.

-The little details! From reading posts from the NDA-ers I'm SUPER happy to see things like flying finishes, spectators warning you of hazards, accidents on-stage, proper service area, etc. These things should improve the atmosphere immensely.

-Locations! There's some fuss about it having one less location, but I think that's a fair tradeoff when you consider the other disciplines included in the game as well as the randomizer and Dirtfish. The inclusion of Australia and Michigan (seriously guys? The ONE SPECIFIC THING I asked for?? I truly thought we wouldn't get any US stages at all, let alone ones from the state I wanted to see most) and a proper rally school are enough for me personally.

So yeah, color me excited! I was admittedly a little dissapointed when I saw it was mainline Dirt 4 and not Dirt Rally 2: Electric Boogaloo, but reading about it and seeing that it's a combination of both has turned me around! Looking forward to all the stuff you guys will share before release. You've got my money reserved already, don't worry.  ;)

Oh, and one last thing, from November of 2016:
BadD0g said:
From today's Road Book:
ChristinaMc said:
G’day! 
AUSTRALIA STAGES CONFIRMED
Freakin' called it!

That is the question yes. 

bogani said:

Very nice!

And I must say I really love this on the limit screenshot. I hope it's in game :)

It's in-game yes. It's got everything cranked up to 11 so the final product might not match it perfectly but it's damn close.

bogani said:

That is the question yes. 
I think it was answered somewhere, this is why I got all hopeful like.

urgaffel said:
bogani said:

Very nice!

And I must say I really love this on the limit screenshot. I hope it's in game :)

It's in-game yes. It's got everything cranked up to 11 so the final product might not match it perfectly but it's damn close.
Ok. So it will be closer to this.

One other interesting note I just realized is that the gloves on the driver the clip I posted have a different color than the gloves on the driver in the clip with Solberg posted earlier. So could it mean we will get custumizable race suits?