DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Exciting DiRTy Gossip news :D

Hyundai Motorsport:
"Exciting times! We’re also delighted to welcome rising star Kevin Abbring in the team as test driver for 2015. Kevin will take part in the official tests for the development of the New Generation i20 ‪#‎WRC‬ & will compete in selected WRC rounds with the team alongside co-driver Seb Marshall - Co-Driver. A warm welcome into the team to Kevin and Seb "

:D Dutch driving skills combine with UK Pacenote skills :D Golden duo!

couger1981 said:
It's strange that @justbiglee hasn't been around since the news broke, hopefully he isn't one of the team members to be let go :(
Something to cheer us up

A blast from the past

CMR

I agree, @justbiglee‌ being a community manager, might not be as valuable as the developers, so we might not hear from him or Codemasters in the forums again. Although I hope I'm wrong :-(

One of the most important aspects of game development (and something that doesn't go well with a lot of developers) is the communication with the costumers. See, you're making a game for people to play and enjoy so it is essential to know what people want. What you see happen for example is that when people dislike something in a game developers make changes that might not improve the game. If people say they don't like something, like rallycross for example, the dev should not just take that info and remove rallycross but they should engage and talk about why they don't like it what they do like. You could keep trying and trying to create the right game, or you could just ask what gamers want. And I think @justbiglee‌ is doing a fine job at just talking to the fans. Well that's my opinion at least.

gfRally said:
Hey, I'm a PC player but never got in with Project CARS (as my PC was too old at the time), so it's been "out" for 2+ years and I haven't played it either yet!
And how does that make you feel?  Don't mean to sound like a shrink.. just a question

Personally it is nice to see everyones videos through the progress.  Im still envious but I know the game is progressing along and see that with the videos.  
Part of me would like to have access now, but the part of me that's played Assetto Corsa thinks it's sometimes better to have the game framework (career mode, etc) in place before playing it, i.e. get a more complete game to start with! So sometimes I don't mind waiting...

To take short break from the very useful Early Access chat:

Me gusta this tweet from @justbiglee‌ 

https://twitter.com/justbiglee/status/555090586039250944

So now it's pretty clear that @justbiglee‌ is gathering feedback/ideas on league/multiplayer features for the next DiRT! :D 

Some of his comments from the reddit post:

Comment: 
Codemasters simulator?
Lee: True story.

Comment
Lee: 
Thanks for the ideas. Say hypothetically its the kind of game that takes place off road rather than a circuit and is a little more a-synchronous. Would that change anything?

Comment: 
a-synchronous for rally stages would be really appealing. Mitigates the process of waiting around hoping something starts and fills up and will help extend the lifetime of the game.
Lee: 
That's what we're hoping :)

A very interesting exchange! 

It is fair to say I'm easy to excite, but hints on an asynchronous multiplayer mode give me a warm feeling inside...

Reddit, eh?  Greaaaat :neutral_face: another place I have to rummage through now besides here, twitter, Facebook (not so much), and now reddit, lol 

The asynchronous idea is very appealing to me.  I've never done online stuff much because I never have the time when everyone else does and vice versa, my weekends are usually unpredictable and I only have a limited opening to play after work.  I am sure I'm not alone.  

gfRally said:
Reddit, eh?  Greaaaat :neutral_face: another place I have to rummage through now besides here, twitter, Facebook (not so much), and now reddit, lol 

lol I've been posting stuff on there for years in secret, its amazing what I can get away with when nobody is looking :P

Yes all 3 of us did. 
Is the handling model similar to GAS (as in: a bit more sim, a bit less arcade)? I did a couple of runs in DiRT3 recentlu, after a couple of month pause (in which I was mostly playing GAS) and DiRT3 now feels a bit weird. 

tbtstt said:
Yes all 3 of us did. 
Oh yeah! (And I did it more than once)
So did I o:)

U have to take a whole new approach, like u do in real life,
but it's just a matter of time to get it under control ;-)

Didzis said:
Yes all 3 of us did. 
Is the handling model similar to GAS (as in: a bit more sim, a bit less arcade)? I did a couple of runs in DiRT3 recentlu, after a couple of month pause (in which I was mostly playing GAS) and DiRT3 now feels a bit weird. 
We can't comment on that, you will have to wait and see!

Just wondering, quick question to our American/ Asian forum members.

Would you guys mind if for example the new DiRT game rallies (and  rallycross etc etc) events are based on the European events?

For example WRC Wales rally, WRC  Monte Carlo rally,WRC Sweden rally, or perhpas some Ypres ERC Rally?
I mean the big hero's from the USA ( Ken Block, Foust, Crazy Leo and many more) come over sea to compete in WRC events or European rallies.

Just curious , because I think many European rally fans do would like to see the european rallies and rallycross stages.

Well, I understand where you are coming from, but for me I like the world tour idea, I don't think it should be exclusive to any one area just as it's been. For us here in the US we have only a small support for rally we need all the exposure we can get :) I Saw an interview with Ken Block a while back, as big as he is into it now, he got started later in life, because he didn't know there where rally events here in the US! Many are surprised when I tell them that there are events here in the US and are even nearby. Honestly it's only about 10 years that I knew there was a American series and that there was even a national even only a couple of hours away. So it really helps us to connect to the sport. I can say more if my reasoning isn't clear. Good question though :)

gfRally said:
Well, I understand where you are coming from, but for me I like the world tour idea, I don't think it should be exclusive to any one area just as it's been. For us here in the US we have only a small support for rally we need all the exposure we can get :) I Saw an interview with Ken Block a while back, as big as he is into it now, he got started later in life, because he didn't know there where rally events here in the US! Many are surprised when I tell them that there are events here in the US and are even nearby. Honestly it's only about 10 years that I knew there was a American series and that there was even a national even only a couple of hours away. So it really helps us to connect to the sport. I can say more if my reasoning isn't clear. Good question though :)
I don't know where you are in the US but if there was a US rally event in game based in (taking locations out of a hat here) LA, but you lived in Long Island, would it still feel like your 'home' rally, because I realise living in a country bigger than Europe is different to living in a place where I could get to a dozen different countries for dinner if tried

Quote from Lee's reddit post - it all sounds good :)

Thanks a lot for all you're feedback guys, with regards to the league support I'm glad we were thinking along the same lines. Our plan was to have the website host the bulk of the admin type stuff and then have that all pull into the game. You've raised somethings we hadn't considered so I'm really glad we asked. As for your feedback on our games in general and what has come in the past I want to thank you for that too, I know we've got some work to do with regards to making it up to you and giving a game you all want and I really hope what we're working on is what you want. :)

Would you guys mind if for example the new DiRT game rallies (and  rallycross etc etc) events are based on the European events?
Where the events are based is a secondary issue to me.
As my avatar shows, I'd even be up for some Alien Rally Championship action, if they wanted to put the stages on different planets.

I just want to see some proper rally stages, instead of the wide, flat and straight things that have been in the past couple games.
I want stuff that's tight, technical, bumpy, slippery and twisty.
I want to have to work, to keep the car on the road, like I do in RBR and WRC.

For example WRC Wales rally, WRC  Monte Carlo rally,WRC Sweden rally, or perhpas some Ypres ERC Rally?
I mean the big hero's from the USA ( Ken Block, Foust, Crazy Leo and many more) come over sea to compete in WRC events or European rallies.

Just curious , because I think many European rally fans do would like to see the european rallies and rallycross stages.
I don't mind, though I did enjoy the inclusion of  X Games events for Rally Cross in previous games. Can you spill a little information about gameplay. What are the rally stages like? My biggest complaint about DiRT 3 was that the stages were mostly wide and often too short.

I don't mind, though I did enjoy the inclusion of  X Games events for Rally Cross in previous games. Can you spill a little information about gameplay. What are the rally stages like? My biggest complaint about DiRT 3 was that the stages were mostly wide and often too short.
They signed a non disclosure agreement so they are not allowed to talk about what they saw.

They signed a non disclosure agreement so they are not allowed to talk about what they saw.

Thats true, so sorry @BenjaminJohnson i cant and wont spill any beans,
but I can tell its in a save hands from an amazing developers team right now! ;-)

Indirectly related to your post @BenjaminJohnson, I note that next years Global Rallycross Championship doesn't seem to have a round at the X-Games. 

Personally I would like to see the rallycross steer away from the temporary X-Games style tracks and focus on the established rallycross tracks, i.e. Lydden Hill, Holjes, Hell, Buxtehude etc. The first DiRT had real rallycross tracks in it and I would love to see them back again. 

When it comes to the rally stages, I personally would like to see Codemasters pick and choose the best rallies from around the world. I think the Olympus deserves a place in that list, though the bulk of my choices would be events from Europe. 

Indirectly related to your post @BenjaminJohnson, I note that next years Global Rallycross Championship doesn't seem to have a round at the X-Games. 

Personally I would like to see the rallycross steer away from the temporary X-Games style tracks and focus on the established rallycross tracks, i.e. Lydden Hill, Holjes, Hell, Buxtehude etc. The first DiRT had real rallycross tracks in it and I would love to see them back again. 

When it comes to the rally stages, I personally would like to see Codemasters pick and choose the best rallies from around the world. I think the Olympus deserves a place in that list, though the bulk of my choices would be events from Europe. 

@tbtstt‌ 

XGames is included in GRC (is it really global??) it just isn't a points race, so its just for show, this year.

Since Marcus Gronholm crashed a couple of years back GRC hasn't been the same, I guess for good reason they eliminated the crossover jump.  When it all started as a xGames event like in LA Colosseum it really shined as an American take on rallycross a bit Dukes of Hazard style American racing.  However it has gone from racing to a crash derby.  

I would eliminate GRC from the picture and just go with the ERC events, wether licensed or inspired by.  In my opinion ERC is much more professional.

ERC is not global enough, I'm pretty sure WRCC (world rally cross championship) is perfect for this. My favourite driver Petter Solberg won it this year.