DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

EDDSkitz said:
Yes, the new game looks great, and the Physics are probably great too.... but seriously, trucks and buggies? I'm sure they are fun, but could've made more locations instead, and I understand that's my opinion.

Also, if the tracks are only 1km longer, then we are on the same older engine? That means a rebuild, but not something they couldn't add to DR with a version update. 
I absolutely do not speak for myself when I say we were all expecting a new engine to handle longer stages. 

I like the service park upgrades I've seen and heard, and I rather like the idea of never driving the same stage twice. With the tile style setup it should work great, but we're they not able to keep the real locations? Last I checked, you can't copywrite a road.
Now thats some actually constructive criticism that I can understand, much better without the "you" and "us" stuff

More locations would always be nice, I love rally probably just as much as you, but I understand that they are trying to sell a product here, they simply wouldnt have had the budget (because smaller audience) to create more real-life based handcrafted stages to which they have to fly out and take tons of pictures which is expensive and time consuming, so its fine with me if other people get some stuff they like so that i can get my rally fix.

KickUp said:
Lynx2000 said:
Was a bit disappointed at first  but everything that is said makes me more excited about it In career mode is there the possibility a stage is run twice during an event that's one of the things I missed in DR in real events some/most stages(depends on which event)  are ran twice or even 3 times.
Will there also be a female codriver not that I don't like @KickUp or Nicky grist but in d2 and d3 I also preferred the female Co driver. 
I don't know if this was already asked but will there be tyre choices? 

We might run some stages twice in events but we have so many Stage options now that we don't need to. 
Jen Horsey will be co driving as well as Nicky. She is awesome. 
We might do tyre choices. Not decided yet. 

Running stages twice in the same event could add some more Immersion, IMO.

EDDSkitz said:
Yes, the new game looks great, and the Physics are probably great too.... but seriously, trucks and buggies? I'm sure they are fun, but could've made more locations instead, and I understand that's my opinion.

Also, if the tracks are only 1km longer, then we are on the same older engine? That means a rebuild, but not something they couldn't add to DR with a version update. 
I absolutely do not speak for myself when I say we were all expecting a new engine to handle longer stages. 

I like the service park upgrades I've seen and heard, and I rather like the idea of never driving the same stage twice. With the tile style setup it should work great, but we're they not able to keep the real locations? Last I checked, you can't copywrite a road.
Now this is a better approach, not just shitposting and insulting people. I bet you will get much nicer responses, You don't have to praise everything, lots of people have been skeptical on here too but kept a better tone.

KickUp said:
Snaky115 said:
@KickUp So, clarify - Stage and country selection, especially the fact that we won't get real life stages like 'Sweet Lamb', is because of Licensing ?
More complex than that but yes, it has lead us down this new path but that means we have built something more exciting that we might not have considered before. 
This is interesting and I'd like to hear more if possible when things aren't so busy... it sounds like it may pay off in the end with the stage generator. 

KickUp said:
Snaky115 said:
@KickUp So, clarify - Stage and country selection, especially the fact that we won't get real life stages like 'Sweet Lamb', is because of Licensing ?
More complex than that but yes, it has lead us down this new path but that means we have built something more exciting that we might not have considered before. 
Close enough. Short, simple answers are best in a fast moving forum, unless some NDA's prevent the answer, then tease the fuck out of us freely. :D

And like i asked before but in a different way - We had only a single generic stadium truck and a single generic buggy in DiRT 3 and a single Modern Trailblazer car in DiRT Rally. Are there any classes in DiRT 4 that will have a similar problem?

EDDSkitz said:
KickUp said:
EDDSkitz said:
Etirion said:
Can we give this guy a time out already? Nothing but entitled bitching.
The only entitled ones are you people.... I've only asked questions and given opinions on stated facts. 

Like it or not. 

Also, you guys attacked me first just because I refuse to blindly accept whatever they throw out there. 
Would you like to ask me the questions? (Sorry I've been busy today)
I understand you've been busy... I believe I've posted my main concerns and opinions that haven't been answered at this point.

I'm 50/50 on this... as said, I love what's been done, and about half of what's been announced with D4. I'm just concerned that a larger company is steering development just like a recent title I followed only to have said company ruin the title by rushing a product to market.
Hand on heart I have done everything I can to deliver an experience that is beyond anything we have done before. I have to ask you to trust me on this. Your stage has been a prototype since 2011 and DiRT Rally has shown that we need to make that dream a reality. 

Lynx2000 said:
Thanks for clarifying so I can't choose you @KickUp as my Co driver if I would like to? 
In the light of working with my hero, Nicky Grist I've decided to retire from in game co driving. 

Lynx2000 said:
Thanks for clarifying so I can't choose you @KickUp as my Co driver if I would like to? 

I wouldn't choose him if I was you! :p 
You just want him all to yourself!

bogani said:
https://twitter.com/AndyGray_/status/824651786493579264

Kris Meeke giving it a go.
The part at 0.23 makes me think he is using the arcade handling model. I hope he does. Really.
Solberg on twitter said they were running full sim mode. I doubt Meeke did in this video? @KickUp

KickUp said:
Lynx2000 said:
In the light of working with my hero, Nicky Grist I've decided to retire from in game co driving. 
A little easter egg with you shouting "I think the front left is flat" would be quite fun though :D

Snaky115 said:
KickUp said:
Snaky115 said:
Close enough. Short, simple answers are best in a fast moving forum, unless some NDA's prevent the answer, then tease the **** out of us freely. :D

And like i asked before but in a different way - We had only a single generic stadium truck and a single generic buggy in DiRT 3 and a single Modern Trailblazer car in DiRT Rally. Are there any classes in DiRT 4 that will have a similar problem?
With the better simulation we can more accurately represent these vehicles. 900bhp Nascar Engined Trucks are fun off road  >:)

Azoresst said:
@KickUp can we expect mixed surfaces (Tarmac/Gravel) with "Your Stage"? 
Perhaps not Tarmac to Gravel but mixed surfaces will continue. 

KickUp said:
EDDSkitz said:
KickUp said:
EDDSkitz said:
Etirion said:
The only entitled ones are you people.... I've only asked questions and given opinions on stated facts. 

Like it or not. 

Also, you guys attacked me first just because I refuse to blindly accept whatever they throw out there. 
I understand you've been busy... I believe I've posted my main concerns and opinions that haven't been answered at this point.

I'm 50/50 on this... as said, I love what's been done, and about half of what's been announced with D4. I'm just concerned that a larger company is steering development just like a recent title I followed only to have said company ruin the title by rushing a product to market.
Hand on heart I have done everything I can to deliver an experience that is beyond anything we have done before. I have to ask you to trust me on this. Your stage has been a prototype since 2011 and DiRT Rally has shown that we need to make that dream a reality. 
I will say that we butted heads during EA on the sound stuff, and you asked for trust then and didn't disappoint.

Understand that my apprehension and animosity here isn't toward you, the developers, but toward the larger companies that like to meddle in these sorts of "emerging markets". 

I was concerned about the arcade stuff, you've split it. 
I was concerned about pace note integration with the generated stages, the tile format solves that for me.

I guess the only question I have is the game engine still the older ego engine or a newer version/new engine? 
I ask because of the maximum stage length, while they are fairly long as is, and I'm happy with them, lots would have liked safari rally/Dakar length stages. Which I understand was a limitation of the engine.

KickUp said:

Snaky115 said:
KickUp said:
Snaky115 said:
Close enough. Short, simple answers are best in a fast moving forum, unless some NDA's prevent the answer, then tease the **** out of us freely. :D

With the better simulation we can more accurately represent these vehicles. 900bhp Nascar Engined Trucks are fun off road  >:)
Nice dodge. :D Oh well, i will look forward to the vehicle list closer to release/at release.

Will be a great game! June, come soon!
What about german rallyroads? like the panzerplatte? loved that in dirt rally...

If it's the same engine as it seems (because you think that'd be one of the first things said) then they could've just updated DR.
@EDDSkitz I'm confidently assuming it is the EGO engine, however it's an upgraded version of it thus making it incompatible with DR, which would make it nowhere near just a simple patch update.

Correct me if I'm wrong though. I've been away from coding anything for nearly 8 years now.

KickUp said:
EDDSkitz said:
KickUp said:
EDDSkitz said:
Etirion said:

Like it or not. 

I feel bad for being initially skeptical now. :(

Forgive me and I'll buy you one of these:

phil94ma said:
Will be a great game! June, come soon!
What about german rallyroads? like the panzerplatte? loved that in dirt rally...

I would prefer to have an Irish tarmac rally over the German to be honest really liked the German ones but after looking at circuit of Ireland videos I think those are just a tad more awesome

KickUp said:
Azoresst said:

Thanks Paul! By the way in Career can we expect a good amount of stages created by the designers or will it be like DiRT Rally? And can we expect Rally events to have, lets say, 10+ stages (close to the real "deal")?
In DiRT Rally we had 12 unique stages that we reversed and cut up into smaller routes. In DiRT 4 we will have hundreds of unique stages

Your Stage can make a near infinite number of stages because the combinations are so huge. 
I'M STILL GONNA LEARN EM ALL!

zoliRX said:
If it's the same engine as it seems (because you think that'd be one of the first things said) then they could've just updated DR.
@EDDSkitz I'm confidently assuming it is the EGO engine, however it's an upgraded version of it thus making it incompatible with DR, which would make it nowhere near just a simple patch update.

Correct me if I'm wrong though. I've been away from coding anything for nearly 8 years now.
I don't do game coding, but as I understand there's a few (or two?) Versions of the EGO engine. If it was a newer variant I can understand its incompatibility, but that leads me to the next part of that question, which is stage length.