DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Alf72 said:

Hope there's still wild life crossing the stages, like in DiRT Rally.

In those videos, Australian fences look like walls, when crashing against them. Hopefully, it's because it's still an Early build and it will get "fixed" for final product. We don't need concrete bushes and sign posts, like in DR :p

If you guys decide to inclued tyre choices, can we have tyre pressures, as well, @KickUp, or i'm asking for too much? :p

The australian fences act like they should, they do break and you can crash through them

@KickUp

Just a peace of information. I saw a video of the Fiesta going on stage, and the dash still shows the road display. In stage mod the Display it's just a circle with the gear in it and the lights. I don't care about that, but 'cause some people go nuts over little details, i'm just saying this ;)
By road display, do you mean information about the stage or a minimap?

(p.s. don't judge this question if it's undeniably stupid)
Road 'mode' and stage 'mode' are settings that matter or are needed like speed etc as rally cars need to be road legal to drive between stages.
What the modes affect can vary, but a digital dash won't need much in stage mode.  Think things like ALS too.

There should be kangaroos in Australia to run across and break your car's radiator... That would add more rallying thrill to the stage run!

In the Erased Citizens gameplay vid, they show a pic of the controller layout, and up on the dpad is Roadside Repair.

In the service area there are updates about any injuries AI drivers have sustained.

Obviously this means that if you perform a roadside repair in a Welsh stage, you should run the risk of being bitten by a snake. Australia too, of course—"Co-driver was attacked by a drop bear while making roadside repairs", that sort of thing.

I got a question about Your Stage, with someone mentioning earlier that its stitched together stuff how much variation is in each segment, what I'm essentially asking is, will you be able to recognize different parts of the road as something you have seen before or will angle, camber, surroundings and all that stuff dynamically change?

Etirion said:
I got a question about Your Stage, with someone mentioning earlier that its stitched together stuff how much variation is in each segment, what I'm essentially asking is, will you be able to recognize different parts of the road as something you have seen before or will angle, camber, surroundings and all that stuff dynamically change?
You will recognise certain corners as you see them, I would say that you only recognise them once you get to them however. My memory is a bit clouded as I was playing the same stage over and over trying to beat Kris Meeke's time (and succeeding muhaha but he beat me after) so during that one I saw certain corners a couple of times as I was learning the stage but overall you won't really notice I don't think. I found that the higher complexity, the more interesting and varied the stages become.

dwkGravey said:
In the Erased Citizens gameplay vid, they show a pic of the controller layout, and up on the dpad is Roadside Repair.

In the service area there are updates about any injuries AI drivers have sustained.

Obviously this means that if you perform a roadside repair in a Welsh stage, you should run the risk of being bitten by a snake. Australia too, of course—"Co-driver was attacked by a drop bear while making roadside repairs", that sort of thing.
Hmm, I don't know... I think in Wales it might be likely to run across the rare and elusive Craic bear.

@KickUp

Just a peace of information. I saw a video of the Fiesta going on stage, and the dash still shows the road display. In stage mod the Display it's just a circle with the gear in it and the lights. I don't care about that, but 'cause some people go nuts over little details, i'm just saying this ;)
By road display, do you mean information about the stage or a minimap?

(p.s. don't judge this question if it's undeniably stupid)
It's kind of what @F2CMasMaXX explained. Modern rally cars (r2, R3, R5 and WRC) have stage and road mode. The stage mode should only be used when your pushing the car since it is "worse" for the engine. In road mode, the display or dashboard will show you a rpm-meter like you have on a normal car, your speed, the gear you're on, oil and water temps, and even the blinkers!!! In stage mode all of that is gone. You have the led's (blue, yellow and red) and a big circle with the gear you're on. Nothing more. Only if there's something wrong with the car, it appears a warning.

Hummm, the R5 mode (or stage mode) it's a button on the central console. Basically what it does is turning the engine map. You got your ALS, your turbo have more boost and something about the air-fuel injection. But that it's for turbo cars. Meanwhile, on our old Lancer we had only the ALS button :P

@KickUp two questions:
1) Will there be asynchronous league racing as it exists in DR?
2) Will we be able to use trackgen in our leagues?

BTW, trackgen is exactly what rally simming needs, big props for bringing this feature to D4.

EDIT: IM DUM. As per the roadbook "This is a stage you’ll be able to take time and time again, share with your friends and the DiRT Community, and even use it with league and PvP functionality."

Anyone else notice the odometer?  I'm guessing that's where you can track total mileage in an owned car? :)

Anyone else notice the odometer?  I'm guessing that's where you can track total mileage in an owned car? :)
Yes, and you know when to change the oil in the service area.  :D

KickUp said:
dwkGravey said:
Will leagues and track-sharing be cross-platform?  :#
That's the plan. Leaderboards definitely will be
Any chance of true triple screen support? RX multiplayer fleshed out? :smile:

@KickUp

Will VR support depends only on PSVR success? I'm concerned that most of the VR players (including myself) are playing on PC and for now I feel that my Rift is waste of money. Only bought it for DR and it's successor and just can't see myself playing racing games on monitor anymore.

juu1ius said:
@KickUp

Will VR support depends only on PSVR success? I'm concerned that most of the VR players (including myself) are playing on PC and for now I feel that my Rift is waste of money. Only bought it for DR and it's successor and just can't see myself playing racing games on monitor anymore.
No it won't be as binary as that. 

The main reason I was excited for the 2017 WRC cars, was to actually get my hands on them in a Dirt simulation game :( If you guys still can, please make it happen.

If not, then I hope the game is great regardless and a massive success that makes a zillion dollars. After which WRC and FIA will come grovelling to you guys and beg you to use their licenses. 

Ok now question: Is 60 fps the target on console? 

Yes, we want to hit 60 since that's what DR did and it just plays better :)

urgaffel said:
Bravo! Your competition still only manages 30 fps and still does not look as great as DR (and now hopefully D4 as well). Thank you and the Codemasters team for your technical wizardry.

@KickUp
Since you opened up with never-featured-in-WRC location with Michigan, where I suppose licensing stuff issues are not such a big problem, and it seems Spain is tarmac only, might I suggest a location for you to look at for DLC maybe (if that isn't written in stone yet):
Azores Rally. 

Modelling maybe the crater stage as a real stage and give the YourStage thing only the bits that are not directly on the rim and have blocked views anyways with those big earth-walls.
And it would be a tarmac-gravel-mixed location, so some new flavour (apart from the views) 
Just as a thing to consider

urgaffel said:

Even on my ropey Xbox?

Hi guys, it's been a while when i was here. But with the announcement of D4 i needed to give my comment.
I was excited when i saw the FB post, but when watching the announcement trailer and some of the first info, i got quite some doubts. 

First of all I had a bit doubts after sawing the annoucement trailer and read the first details. But when sawing more screens, more info about the game (that is on different sources) and the so far gameplay trailers, my doubts are mostly gone. I did a quick analyse of all 4 gameplay trailers i saw now (2x EC, Petter Solberg and IGN Spain).

I made quite some screenshots, so check it out i would say, maybe you missed something:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/s71m1dhrge3dd/Analyse_Dirt4_announcement
I did a few selected screens in this post.

Interesting things (don;t know if posted before)
- the EC couple used the "Your Stage" stages on a normal PS4. So the "Your Stage" looks really good in my opinion. You use two sliders mostly to set up Your Stage: Length and Complexity.
- the stages are more alive. The people move more. Cars stopped on the road with technical problems. So now marshals are waving to slow down, there is a warning triangle and the broken car has a lot of smoke. The drones look wants kill you to :P
- there is an nicely modeled service area which are in the colours of the team/car. Also with a news section which gives a little nice touch of what happening during the rally with the others.
- on a rally stage it seems you are competing against 30 other (AI) drivers.
- Looks like there will be a sixth rally area.

Feedback
- Your stage is a perfect solution.
- 5-6 locations is a bit low. Hope some DLC will change this.
- So far the cars stopped on the road just standing with smoke. Why not upside sown? Why not on their side? Animated spectators try to push the car back on the road. 
- More liveness on the roads, maybe specific for the locations. Animals on the road(Australia), campfires, cowbells and fireworks/flames (Sweden), photoflashes, marshal whistles, etc. The official WRC (4 and RE) games on the PS2 already had partially this.
- The podium looks a bit .... terrible.... can be more realistic (check V-Rally 3). Make it animated as with the F1 games.
--- Option A, arrive back in the service area, give a high five to the team managers and champagne if win. If not podium you not give a high five but are having a discussion, etc.
--- Option B, if you finished in top 3, you will do you car on the podium and spray champagne, photo flashes, etc. If outside top 3, you stand with you car somewhere else.
- The marshals that warning you, should keep warning. Looks like when you get closer they stop waving their arms.
- The service area needs more characters who work on the car. (should be possible as they do that in F1 as well)
- The EVO VI is now listed as Group A car. That is fine, but you should also be able to compete against the 2001 Impreza and Focus. 
- Staggered starts and other competitors on the road like in previous CM rally games.
- Changing weather conditions
--- And therefore also a weather forecast and based on that choose between 2 or 3 different type of tyres. 
- Snowy event: the spiked tyres make sometimes a lot of sparks when there is no ice/snow anymore. could be a nice effect.
- If not can get the '2010 and after' 1.6l WRC cars, why not more '00s 2.0l wrc cars. 
- With career mode, maybe it is an idea you can select which era you would play your career. I don't want to start in a old mini to get to a R5 car. If you choose f.e. the modern era, you start in a R3/S1600, than R5/s2000 to go to WRC. 

Question:
- Would like to know how the career mode works (i hope similar as V-Rally 3).

Conclusion
Dirt 4 looks like a game to get. As with Dirt Rally, the game offers a lot of potential. It seems with D4 they went a step further to offer the game for a longer time more fun, and at the same time also offer the arcade driver a good rally game. I am really interested in the coming months in how the game is continued to develop, but it is already on my wishlist to buy. 

I hope my feedback is welcome to the developers.

Here some interesting screens (imo)

Your Stage creaton on a normal PS4.

You will not be alone with some enough AI competitors posting times :P But the EVO VI should also be able to compete against the '01 Impreza and '01 Focus.

Service area with news section. But looks like the mechanics are having lunch all the time.

A crash looks brutal with kicking up the mud

Drone with light trying to kill or blind you

A warning triangle & multiple marshals trying to let you know some (shit) driver blew up their engine once again.

Ah, here he the 'danger' car. Just seems when you get closer the marshal is not waving his arms anymore. 

The menu look nice and slick (ofcourse for me as a Dutch person I ofcourse like the Orange). Than there is "My Team" and "Mailbox". Hope we get more details about that soon.

There might be more that 5 location after all.

Someone blew up their engine or a turbo

Marshal and warning triangle, another marshal, and a car parked.

Fences are not walls, you can sure break them.

Luckily the wipers work

If you hut a puddle, you will get a spray

Evilsmurf said:
Full gravel only                             

The way it's supposed to be!  Except for the Super Special that is mainly in the middle of town.