DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

gfRally said:
Indirectly related to your post @BenjaminJohnson, I note that next years Global Rallycross Championship doesn't seem to have a round at the X-Games. 

Personally I would like to see the rallycross steer away from the temporary X-Games style tracks and focus on the established rallycross tracks, i.e. Lydden Hill, Holjes, Hell, Buxtehude etc. The first DiRT had real rallycross tracks in it and I would love to see them back again. 

When it comes to the rally stages, I personally would like to see Codemasters pick and choose the best rallies from around the world. I think the Olympus deserves a place in that list, though the bulk of my choices would be events from Europe. 

@tbtstt‌ 

XGames is included in GRC (is it really global??) it just isn't a points race, so its just for show, this year.

Since Marcus Gronholm crashed a couple of years back GRC hasn't been the same, I guess for good reason they eliminated the crossover jump.  When it all started as a xGames event like in LA Colosseum it really shined as an American take on rallycross a bit Dukes of Hazard style American racing.  However it has gone from racing to a crash derby.  

I would eliminate GRC from the picture and just go with the ERC events, wether licensed or inspired by.  In my opinion ERC is much more professional.

I would love to see an official World Rallycross game, but the best option for Codemasters would probably (like the rallying) to avoid getting tied to any specific Championship; that way they can pick the best proper tracks from the World, European, British, Belgium & French rallycross Championships, one or two of the temporary Global Rallycross tracks* and a mixture of cars from both: that way they can please everyone!

(* I personally haven't rated many of the GRC tracks, but I would gladly see the Dirtfish based GRC layout in there, that was by far and away my fave GRC layout!)

I would agree with the World/European Rallycross Championships being more professional. I'm not sure if its because RallycrossRX have really stepped things up in the last couple of years or if Red Bull have dropped the ball with the GRC, but the World/Euro Championship has looked so much better presented and promoted recently. As you say the racing has been far superior as well. 

Previously (a number of times) I've expressed my hope that Codies would acquire a licence for the WorldRX from IMG (the promotor), but with the recent signs of a financial strain this may be unlikely... If licensing individual tracks and cars  provides a saving while having good amount of RX content then yes please! :D 
I got really hooked on the rallycross over the past two years and hope that Codies will do those beasty cars justice :) 

Again, I'm probably reading too much into this, but could the wording of the tweet below mean that all 4 will be in the next game...?

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/555719465644863490

I really like VW livery! I'm glad they've added a bit of flair to their design and now have a much more dynamic looking livery :)

What are the chances of Robert Kubica's livery being in the game? Or what are the chances of the game having a livery editor...?

I really hope they can secure all cars and liveries, but budgets may be an issue

I like Kubica's, I'm just worried about how long it'll be until I see it upside down in a ditch!

I really hope they can secure all cars and liveries, but budgets may be an issue

I like Kubica's, I'm just worried about how long it'll be until I see it upside down in a ditch!

Securing all the cars (or at least as many as possible) would certainly be a great thing. The liveries to me though aren't as important. What I would like to see though is a really expansive livery editor, like in the Forza games (Grid's just isn't big enough). With that and an online marketplace, you could create your own fantasy design, and inevitably there would be someone around to make the replica and trade it if you wanted that. That, I assume at least, would get around the issue of licensing the liveries. I'm not a lawyer though so I can't be sure!

Of course I don't know what stage of development the game's at, and it might be too far gone to add that feature, or at least one as detailed as I envisage. I think I'd probably spend half my playing time on that if it was there though!

As for this year's designs, here's how I rate them:
VW (that car eats babies)
M-Sport (It's modern AND retro!)
Hyundai (I can see this becoming a classic livery)
Prokop (Consistently good, and tidied up a little this year)
Kubica (Nice and clean, but can't help but feel it apes the Hyundai somewhat. It's also not a patch on last year's IMO!)
Citroen (Were they even trying?)

Again sad that Subaru is still not in WRC, I guess they are just too big of cars anymore?

gfRally said:
Again sad that Subaru is still not in WRC, I guess they are just too big of cars anymore?
Well there will be a Subaru in the WRC next year...

http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/jrm-r4-subaru-set-wrc-rallye-monte-carlo-debut/

...sadly not in the top class. The current crop of rules don't suit them and as long as the yen remains weak I doubt we'll see Subaru stepping back up there again: I live in hope though! :smiley:

Sorry guys, not been about much the back end of this week have I? 

So here's an update on what I've been doing.

You'll be glad to hear I've filled in a few more pages of the orange notebook.

I had a phone call with a cool dude called Pablo at Facebook (who loved the old McRae & ToCA games).

Dan the marketing man showed me stuff he's been doing.

The web team are making an idea I had for a DiRT website nearly two years ago a reality (it's soooo good)  

You've all seen the league support stuff, the feedback was really useful and Darren has been working on the design for it, I'll tell you now it's pretty boss. Still not a sure thing though - there is a lot of work to do so no promises - If its at the cost of another feature that we all think you'd prefer then in might get parked for a bit.

DiRT 3 GFWL thing is soon, so if you own a PC copy we'll be stripping GFWL out and sticking Steamworks in as well as giving you all of the content from the complete edition. Heads up - you could lose your save file though.  

Vauxhall didn't want to play with me on Twitter today

I had an amazing cake from Cheats (the codies canteen).

And I've only been told off twice today!

Good times :D 

Ginginho said:
Vauxhall didn't want to play with me on Twitter today

Shame but there is clearly a fan is the ad company :)
It tickled us that it was written on the back of what looked like a MK1 Focus Estate :P

DiRT 3 GFWL thing is soon, so if you own a PC copy we'll be stripping GFWL out and sticking Steamworks in as well as giving you all of the content from the complete edition. Heads up - you could lose your save file though.  

That is really great news, thanks Codies :)

I wonder if you can add some kind of "any car on any track" to singleplayer and multiplayer to Dirt3 like in Dirt2? Would great in Multiplayer with a friend to drive a Trailblazer-Car in Monte Carlo.

Anyway, thank you really much :),

JackKey said:

That is really great news, thanks Codies :)

I wonder if you can add some kind of "any car on any track" to singleplayer and multiplayer to Dirt3 like in Dirt2? Would great in Multiplayer with a friend to drive a Trailblazer-Car in Monte Carlo.

Anyway, thank you really much :),
Trouble is they have stopped working on the game a long time ago and they are already working on the next title, so theres no point creating new content for a 4 year old game :)

Trouble is they have stopped working on the game a long time ago and they are already working on the next title, so theres no point creating new content for a 4 year old game :)
That's true indeed, I pretty much don't expect Codemasters to add new features to Dirt 3, when they are busy with more important stuff right, but it would be kinda cool. Dirt 4 > Dirt 3.

@justbiglee: How can we get the Steam keys when the time is right?
Sorry for this stupid question :D

@justbiglee: How can we get the Steam keys when the time is right?
Sorry for this stupid question :D
Well do you have a boxed version or not? If so, the key should be in the box.

I have bought DiRT 3 boxed version with GFWL... I know where the key is, but justbiglee said that GFWL users will get a steam key for Complete Edition ;)

I have bought DiRT 3 boxed version with GFWL... I know where the key is, but justbiglee said that GFWL users will get a steam key for Complete Edition ;)
I suspect the way it'll work is when you activate the key with Steam, it'll automatically upgrade to the Complete Edition upon download. Same for everyone else who already has it on Steam.

Heh, I bought original and complete edition, could have saved the latter step... That said, I did sell the non complete original. Lee, I assume well only use the key from the CD and have to download all the files from Steam, rather than install them from disc partly?

Oh and one more question for @justbiglee‌, will the Steam version have all the same content add the original release? I know when GTR2 hit Steam they had to remove Ferrari and Porsche.

Heh, I bought original and complete edition, could have saved the latter step... That said, I did sell the non complete original. Lee, I assume well only use the key from the CD and have to download all the files from Steam, rather than install them from disc partly?
Did this as well, gave the other copy to a friend.

I'm pretty sure you're gonna have to download it because of all the changes made to the code. GFWL was implemented pretty deep into the code from what I understood.