DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

As @kickup is answering questions. What are the chances of licensing the Peugeot 106 GTi?

@KickUp Can we copy stages and only change the weather.
Eg. Run a loop with 3 stages with fine weather and then the same stages copied but with bad weather? To simulate a real rally day

I am so very hyped for this to come out, not only because I have a similar craving for Dirt 4 similar to how women crave chocolate, but to also show everyone not convinced about it that its going to be great.

Then again if its bad @kickup I shall be very disappointed in you.

Not angry. Disappointed. :)

ctbr said:
Eg. Run a loop with 3 stages with fine weather and then the same stages copied but with bad weather? To simulate a real rally day
One of my hopes will be more realistic itineraries for each day, with a loop of stages in the morning repeated in the afternoon, so two passes of each unique stage.

Ok, Daytona is under yellow so time to write an essay...

I am so very hyped for this to come out, not only because I have a similar craving for Dirt 4 similar to how women crave chocolate, but to also show everyone not convinced about it that its going to be great.

I feel that as more information has come out, the skeptics has faded away more and more.

I'm hyped! And june isn't really that far away! :)

bogani said:

I feel that as more information has come out, the skeptics has faded away more and more.

I'm hyped! And june isn't really that far away! :)
Yup. At first I was like "ah well, Dirt 4 isn't DR2 but I guess it'll be a bit of fun at least". Then @KickUp, @ChristinaMc and @urgaffel started shoveling coal in the hype train, and now I'm all hyped and craving for june to come. 

i was just thinking about top times and records and such.how is this going to happen on random generated tracks/courses.

dgeesi0 said:
i was just thinking about top times and records and such.how is this going to happen on random generated tracks/courses.
Will only be leaderboards for the static career stages I guess.

bogani said:
dgeesi0 said:

This. ^^

The daily's, weekly's and monthly's will be the same as is, but without the ability to hot lap them first.

Evilsmurf said:
bogani said:
dgeesi0 said:

This. ^^

The daily's, weekly's and monthly's will be the same as is, but without the ability to hot lap them first.

And that is awesome! ;)

@KickUp 
My questions:
1 Will D4 support mixed surfaces?
2 Could you tell us more about tyre modeling please? Do we get to choose tires? If so, do we get to choose wet/ med/ dry compound, or does it go deper?
3 Any info on mod support?
4 On HC mode are grip levels similar to Dirt Rally, or is grip lowered? Also do cars have inertia? Can we go fully sideways with 4x4 when full speed without getting thrown into the inside of the corner every time?
EDIT: Also no.5-> How complex is the car modeling? For example what can be tuned in car setup?
My feedback:
YOU GUYS ROCK. I am really hyped for Dirt 4, Random Track Genereator is just mindblowing!

dgeesi0 said:

I think it's a great thing! 

Iv a 60 hours per week job, a wife & 2 kids to sort before my gaming.  It's really hard to compete with a student who's off for summer & has nothing else to do but rinse & repeat my favourite stage!

Its going to sort the rally men from the circuit repeaters  :)

KevM said:

dgeesi0 said:

I think it's a great thing! 

Iv a 60 hours per week job, a wife & 2 kids to sort before my gaming.  It's really hard to compete with a student who's off for summer & has nothing else to do but rinse & repeat my favourite stage!

Its going to sort the rally men from the circuit repeaters  :)
+1

Rallying is not about remembering the track. That was always the biggest drawback of any rally sim out there. Track Generator is a great sollution. Probably the only better one would be support of importing Google Maps data (including elevation) to generate real world stages.

SamRWD said:

Rallying is not about remembering the track. That was always the biggest drawback of any rally sim out there. Track Generator is a great sollution. Probably the only better one would be support of importing Google Maps data (including elevation) to generate real world stages.
It is difficult to implement Google Maps in a game, because Google will ask money for it than based on the amount of searches. For my work we also use a Google Maps in our product, and that results in paying thousands of euros for the use of it (to compensate the advert income of Google). And that is already with less than thousand people using it. So implementing that in a commercial product will make it very expensive cost i think.

I think this Your Stage is perfect. Next to that it should become an option available to
- (A) edit "your stage". so you can edit corners / cambers.
- (B) make completly your own stage based on a location you select, so choose yourself the corners,
---- so people can recreate real life stages themselves and make it public
---- make a stage from a local road wher you live, so you can imagine how it would feel to rally there. 

urgaffel said:
KickUp said:
JorritVD said:
@KickUp , Will there be differences between the versions of PS4, PS4pro and PC? If so, what will those differences be?
There will be differences but it will all be in the level of graphical fidelity. Physics, audio etc will be the same. 

We aim to run all at 1080p 60fps. 

With PS4pro we are aiming to add HDR and some other bits like better MSAA. 

For PC will just be cranking everything up as high as they go so it will kinda all depend on how deep your wallet is from a hardware perspective. 
...like particles ;)
Speaking of particles, is it possible that some particles, like mud and stones, will act as like solid objects? I know it's doable since I got it working in DiRT3, which was on an older engine, although the collision boxes were like 3 times the size of the particles....

Speaking of D3, during the 'development' of Insane Particles, I once rewinded a replay in Kenya and my car launched off the dust cloud behind it and flew off to space, judging by the speed of its initial ascent. It was almost as scary as falling through the stage. After that experience, I didn't dare touch the 'full physics' option until I began working of v2.

Bluestig said:
What improvements have been made to the damage system?
And is it visually better than DiRT3? DiRT Rallly's visual damage was somewhat lackluster imo, and I'm not just talking about the cars being overly robust. Mechanical damage was better, but much too forgiving, and the mods, while closer to reality (i think), were way over the top.

KickUp said:
bogani said:
What is the biggest change to the simulation engine that have had the most impact on how the cars feel? What parts did Kris and Petter point out as things that really needed to change? @KickUp
Aerodynamics has seen a big update across the board making the cars feel more planted at speed. It will also stop them behaving strangely when airborne. This also has a dramatic effect on how they crash with more convincing rolls. 

We've improved the way we model our suspension geometry. This means you should see more character between the Rear Wheel drive cars based on the type of suspension they are using. 

Petter and Kris both asked for more positive feedback from the front of the car. We basically had too much understeer so they helped us dial a much more positive feel into the cars. 
On reading this initially, it worried me.  "More stability" & "less understeer" in my head meant "easier" & more "user friendly" to suit the masses

But then, I started playing D:R this afternoon.  I resumed a 6R4 championship in Monte & realised, the rally boys are 100% right.  
I love the 6R4, as it moves around loads.  I can put the rear of the car wherever I choose just with my throttle & brakes, but it's the rear of the car I am adjusting intuitively .
The wheel inputs on tarmac are more of a 'vague suggestion' & the front axle is getting pulled around by the rest of the car.  I'm steering more with the back end but aiming with the front???

4 could actually work well!! :)

ctbr said:
Yup

versedi said:
urgaffel said:
gfRally said:

urgaffel said:
...like particles ;)
you mean GRAVEL??? :wink: :open_mouth:
S***!!! I knew I had forgotten something! ;D
Didn't I asked you about a particular corner and a thing back 160 pages, around 5 pages back and you liked it? So you didn't forgot u just didn't comment on it! Shame on you, u should have been given the fame!! The cuts in Austrialia on the gameplays are simply looking awesome and I'm kinda sure they're feeling on the wheel the same way!

P.S. Please @KickUp  and @urgaffel , make the motion blur as a separate setting, I'm kind of sure this isn't easy, but there's alot of us asking for it. :) 

P.S. 2 I kind of forgot to thank you all from Codies HQ how much you are communicating with us at the very important moment, especially you @KickUp  and @urgaffel . I want you know to that we/I appreciate that, but there's so many things to ask that it may come pass unseen...
You got me, I didn't forget ;) The vfx in Dirt 4 are a step up from Dirt Rally, especially crashes. It really does look quite cool so I hope you get to see something soon! Although you might have to wait until June, who knows :)

@KickUp when there's a rally (offline - career and free play) with a few stages, will we always start on the last position or the start order may vary with our results?

789ifyz said:
Before I forget (again), does PvP include Splitscreen and LAN Party?
...and hotseat?

You know, this thing: https://steamcommunity.com/app/310560/discussions/4/613957600523336141/