DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Found some more real onboard footage from the Lake Superior Performance Rally which is held in Michigan. Onboard stuff is scattered trough out the video with the first proper footage at 4:00, but I advise to watch the whole thing if you're not familiar with Subaru's Launch Control video's. Anyways, Mchigan provides some nice, quick and flowing roads!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rweqxk2UAbU

@Areyouben Glad you posted this and not me,  I think most are tired of hearing me talk about Subaru ;)

We will have to remember, weather and seasonable unpredictability makes the environment look completely different from year to year.  So we cannot expect it to look like it does in this video, some times the leaves are completely fallen, some times they are at their peak color change, etc.  Regardless I am happy some of the USA will be in the game.  

BTW: I don't know the entire routes at LSPR but not every rally over here are the stages quite so wide.  My home event in Pennsylvania stages quite narrow, but are extremely fast.  Other events here are more picturesque and others are a lot more technical, so Michigan is a rather tame event.

Here are some links to the stage maps for the real event.  

http://www.rally-america.com/events/2014/LSPR/stages/maps/2

and spectator guide 

http://www.lsprorally.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Final-2016-Spectator-Guide.pdf

Regarding the new codriver voices:  Something that I did like in D3 were some of the remarks she said when you wrecked.  It happens in real life, mostly on the negative/cursing side, but a wise a$$ remark is better for the kiddies.  

Anyhow just like much of the polishing we are seeing in D4, this too would give the person next to you a little more life (Paul was very conservative in DR :)  Hopefully this will return in D4 without making it too childish.  

gfRally said:
Regarding the new codriver voices:  Something that I did like in D3 were some of the remarks she said when you wrecked.  It happens in real life, mostly on the negative/cursing side, but a wise a$$ remark is better for the kiddies.  

Anyhow just like much of the polishing we are seeing in D4, this too would give the person next to you a little more life (Paul was very conservative in DR :)  Hopefully this will return in D4 without making it too childish.  
I'm prepared to kickstart funding to get Samirs co-driver in the game as an easter egg.

Has the FFB for Thrustmaster T300 on PS4 been fixed for Dirt 4? Will it ever be fixed for Dirt Rally?

@KickUp  I have a few questions about Freeplay that I want to ask:

1 - Does each car have a number of pre-made liveries to choose from?
2 - Can you time-attack stages alone, without being in direct competition against other opponents?
3 - Multi-class rally has been mentioned, can you choose which classes compete?

If you could answer, it would be appreciated.

CMMcBabe said:
KickUp said:
Jepsertti said:
EDDSkitz said:
Jepsertti said:
EDDSkitz said:
Jepsertti said:
This thread has turned into Paul's Q&A :D Incredible that he's willing to answer our questions even though it's weekend!

@KickUp since you confirmed that the Evo X R4 is going to be in DiRT 4, have you guys fixed the interior of it so it's LHD with proper Motec display etc.? Also, hopefully it will have proper torque curve and stuff like that so it doesn't rev something like 7500rpm :) In real life they change gears at around 5000-5500rpm.
I build these engines for a living, red line is 7500 stock, and depending on turbo, als setup, etc... they will make power out past 10,500rpm.

Hell, my turbo doesn't even spool till 4300.
You build Evo X R4 engines for a living? Hmm, weird. I've seen and heard lots of Evo X R4's in real life and it's quite clear that they're not revving nearly as much as in DiRT Rally. Take a look at this video for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yEyEiO5lEw

The Evo X R4 should be driven with torque due to the nature of its engine in R4 spec. I know that there are some hill climb and rallycross Evo X's that easily rev over 7500rpm, but that's due to completely different rules. But watching that video you can quite clearly see how "wrong" the Evo X is in DiRT Rally so that's why I hope it would be more accurate in DiRT 4 :)
I see what you're saying, they are just driving it like that to keep it in the torque band... look at the actual Rev meter in the middle, running about halfish.... 

And I'll be running some races in a bit, but I felt the Evo would drive like this in the game too, I'll check.
Yeah I see :) So maybe there should be a lot less torque than there currently is after 5500rpm, so we would actually need to drive like in that video to be quick? That's what I meant with a more accurate torque curve, because I feel like the Evo X revs way too easily to that 7500rpm point... I might be wrong though, you seem to have a lot more experience with those cars in real life.
Our auto boxes now shift at peak torque. 
I actually noticed the Subaru on show on Thursday was shifting at quite low RPM, wasn't redlining at all but that was probably down to the setup plus not release build :)
This is on purpose.  The car has lower torque so it needs to short shift to maintain power.  Some of the cars in Rally had the same setup.
Even so, just felt like it was wasting more time changing gears this way and it didn't help shifting down to aid braking either

@KickUp  I have a few questions about Freeplay that I want to ask:

1 - Does each car have a number of pre-made liveries to choose from?
2 - Can you time-attack stages alone, without being in direct competition against other opponents?
3 - Multi-class rally has been mentioned, can you choose which classes compete?

If you could answer, it would be appreciated.
1 - Yes some licensed and some made my our team
2 - No plans at the moment but you can do it in Leagues, just don't invite anyone
3 - Yes, multiple classes running in Freeplay events. You choose your class and we determine the others

CMMcBabe said:
KickUp said:
Jepsertti said:
EDDSkitz said:
Jepsertti said:
EDDSkitz said:
Jepsertti said:
This thread has turned into Paul's Q&A :D Incredible that he's willing to answer our questions even though it's weekend!

@KickUp since you confirmed that the Evo X R4 is going to be in DiRT 4, have you guys fixed the interior of it so it's LHD with proper Motec display etc.? Also, hopefully it will have proper torque curve and stuff like that so it doesn't rev something like 7500rpm :) In real life they change gears at around 5000-5500rpm.
I build these engines for a living, red line is 7500 stock, and depending on turbo, als setup, etc... they will make power out past 10,500rpm.

Hell, my turbo doesn't even spool till 4300.
You build Evo X R4 engines for a living? Hmm, weird. I've seen and heard lots of Evo X R4's in real life and it's quite clear that they're not revving nearly as much as in DiRT Rally. Take a look at this video for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yEyEiO5lEw

The Evo X R4 should be driven with torque due to the nature of its engine in R4 spec. I know that there are some hill climb and rallycross Evo X's that easily rev over 7500rpm, but that's due to completely different rules. But watching that video you can quite clearly see how "wrong" the Evo X is in DiRT Rally so that's why I hope it would be more accurate in DiRT 4 :)
I see what you're saying, they are just driving it like that to keep it in the torque band... look at the actual Rev meter in the middle, running about halfish.... 

And I'll be running some races in a bit, but I felt the Evo would drive like this in the game too, I'll check.
Yeah I see :) So maybe there should be a lot less torque than there currently is after 5500rpm, so we would actually need to drive like in that video to be quick? That's what I meant with a more accurate torque curve, because I feel like the Evo X revs way too easily to that 7500rpm point... I might be wrong though, you seem to have a lot more experience with those cars in real life.
Our auto boxes now shift at peak torque. 
I actually noticed the Subaru on show on Thursday was shifting at quite low RPM, wasn't redlining at all but that was probably down to the setup plus not release build :)
This is on purpose.  The car has lower torque so it needs to short shift to maintain power.  Some of the cars in Rally had the same setup.
Even so, just felt like it was wasting more time changing gears this way and it didn't help shifting down to aid braking either
I don't know if you noticed it @SirPhilMcKraken but (sort of related) I noticed an additional option relating to braking in the options menu. I can't recall the exact wording, but it was related to brake effectiveness: my assumption was that the effectiveness of engine braking for cars running ALS is now another factor that is being accounted for. 

Benniz said:
Quick question, @KickUp ! Will there be VR support from the day of release? :) 
This one was answered somewhere - to paraphrase: "depends on how the VR version of DR is received; if well then they will look at it, but it's being considered"

@KickUp 
you could enter the possibility to filter the charts according to the car used?
Insert the split-time and the ability to export files in csv or similar charts?
It would be really convenient for those who organize the leagues
Excuse me for English

Either it was tactfully dodged or you just happened to miss it @KickUp
In case it's the latter, will there be more or will there be less than 7 Group B rallycars (there were seven of them in DR) in D4?

Hello guys, I just joined on the forum :)

I would love to say that I love DiRT Rally, and I like what I have seen in DiRT 4, but I got a little dissapointed with the lack of Gymkhana, hope you add it :) I have really enjoyed it in DiRT 3, it was so much fun, but I know that the consensus don't like it though :(

PS: When I say a little dissapointed, it isn't bad if you don't add it, but I would love it :)

PS2: My name is really bad, I wish I could change it :p

chukonu said:
In case it's the latter, will there be more or will there be less than 7 Group B rallycars (there were seven of them in DR) in D4?
There will still be seven Group B rally cars in DiRT 4 but one will be getting a makeover.

We also have Group B Rallycross cars

NO GYMKHANA, DUUUUUUDE!

@KickUp

You've mentioned casual/sim/fearless. Is fearless the sim setting or is it even higher?

versedi said:
@KickUp

You've mentioned casual/sim/fearless. Is fearless the sim setting or is it even higher?
Fearless is essentially hardcore mode. You unlock it once you have progressed far enough in your career.

I would love to say that I love DiRT Rally, and I like what I have seen in DiRT 4, but I got a little dissapointed with the lack of Gymkhana, hope you add it :) I have really enjoyed it in DiRT 3, it was so much fun, but I know that the consensus don't like it though :(

PS: When I say a little dissapointed, it isn't bad if you don't add it, but I would love it :)

We won't have Gymkhana as the rights to the name is owned by Ken Block however we have got some cool skill based Joyride driving challenges at the DiRT Academy that will encourage you to throw your cars around and have a bit of fun.

These are a seperate mode and are not part of the career.

KickUp said:

We won't have Gymkhana as the rights to the name is owned by Ken Block however we have got some cool skill based Joyride driving challenges at the DiRT Academy that will encourage you to throw your cars around and have a bit of fun.

These are a seperate mode and are not part of the career.

Thank you very much! I understand now why Gymkhana haven't made it! Thank you very much for the information! I really can't wait to play! :smile:

OK, here's my "Wish list"  I'm sure you will get all sorts of weird and wonderful requests so let’s look at the fundamental basics of what’s wrong with DR before pushing for all the fancy bells and whistles. Personally, I don't want any gimmicks at all, I just want the basics to be right. 

Replay’s    Current replays are terrible, very arcade. If I have just driven a stage, I really don’t want to see it again from inside the car or the wheel arches ! stage side TV camera style coverage as we had in RBR is what’s needed.  Good close in stuff so you can analyse your driving to see where you are going wrong. Zoom in close with those heli views and eliminate the helicopter engine sound and co-driver voice, replace with the car’s engine sound reverberating loudly off  the forest and hills in heli view. Add an option to save a replay so we can proudly post that awesome drive we just did on YouTube or find it later to show your mates. Been complained about a million times on the forums.

User Interface     Make it simple and safe to save your car set up, FFB and controller settings, add a SAVE button on each settings window. We like SAVE buttons, it gives you a warm fuzzy comfy feeling when you hit SAVE ! It’s currently too easy to wipe out all wheel & car settings by hitting ENTER on the keyboard then having to start all over again and re set everything, soooooo annoying ! Another popular one on the forums.

Field of View   Currently impossible to get a realistic FOV in any chosen view.  A good FOV should include both front screen pillars in your peripheral vision with the top of the dash, top of the wheel and most of the bonnet. This has been accomplished by a modder on Race Department so shouldn’t be difficult for Codies to do it in house!

Engine Stalling   Too easy to stall engine, needs re-coding to be more forgiving.

Spot Lamps   Give us the option when setting up the car to have spot lamps fitted or not, rally cars look naked without them.

Engine Sound Reverb  When the car goes from the open into the forest, it would be nice to get that loud engine noise reverberation off the trees and hills you get on real rallies (those sounds still haunt me)  A tricky one I know, but nice if it can be done.

Windcreen Sun Strip.  The strip is too wide on most cars and ruins the view.

Weather Options.  I would like to see "Dry and Sunny" added to all stages.

Crash Realism.  Needs re-coding so the car doesn't sky rocket and roll 10 times when a wheel strokes a bank.

Thanks again for your time over the weekend to engage with us Paul, it's clearly gone down very well with members on here. I will send you some biscuits  ... ;)

KickUp said:
chukonu said:
There will still be seven Group B rally cars in DiRT 4 but one will be getting a makeover.

S1E2 Quattro :)

While everyone is discussing driving and stuff, I have some extra questions. Firstly, will we get a proper photo mode? I mean, with free camera, field of view, tilt settings and all that stuff. Honestly, I feel like it's a crime for a racing game in 2017 to not have one.

Second question is not so essential, but still. Will D4 feature music in menus again? I really like the playlists from Showdown, 3 and especially 2, and I hope we'll get some great music again. 

KickUp said:
chukonu said:

Make sure the audio gets a makeover to match, it sounds unreal blasting up that big mountain!!   B)

Busterbvi said:

Engine Sound Reverb  When the car goes from the open into the forest, it would be nice to get that loud engine noise reverberation off the trees and hills you get on real rallies (those sounds still haunt me)  A tricky one I know, but nice if it can be done.

I'm pretty sure it was already done in DR. Mostly hearable in replays from outside camera. 

So, for those wondering, the Group B cars will be same as DiRT Rally, with one makeover, as was said:

- Opel Manta 400
- Lancia 037 Evo II
- Lancia Delta S4
- Peugeot 205 T16 Evo II
- MG Metro 6R4
- Ford RS200
- Audi Quattro S1 Evo II.

KickUp said:
chukonu said:

" we also have Group B Rallycross cars " :# B)

oh yes !!!!