DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

versedi said:
Busterbvi said:

Engine Sound Reverb  When the car goes from the open into the forest, it would be nice to get that loud engine noise reverberation off the trees and hills you get on real rallies (those sounds still haunt me)  A tricky one I know, but nice if it can be done.

I'm pretty sure it was already done in DR. Mostly hearable in replays from outside camera. 

Never noticed it but will listen out for it, if it is there it needs to be much louder, to hear it in real life rallies, especially at night, makes the hairs stand up !

versedi said:
Busterbvi said:

Engine Sound Reverb  When the car goes from the open into the forest, it would be nice to get that loud engine noise reverberation off the trees and hills you get on real rallies (those sounds still haunt me)  A tricky one I know, but nice if it can be done.

I'm pretty sure it was already done in DR. Mostly hearable in replays from outside camera. 
Can confirm, a low level of reverb is inside DiRT Rally already, the narrowest roads on Monte have it and some other individual moments, maybe one or two cliffs on Greece. Purely on gameplay with chase cam at least, don't think i've heard it in replays yet.

I might be talking out of my butt due to mistranslating what i know as "reverb" tho :D

So, for those wondering, the Group B cars will be same as DiRT Rally, with one makeover, as was said:

- Opel Manta 400
- Lancia 037 Evo II
- Lancia Delta S4
- Peugeot 205 T16 Evo II
- MG Metro 6R4
- Ford RS200
- Audi Quattro S1 Evo II.
Do you mean the.... Quattro E2? *trollface*

Dytut said:
So, for those wondering, the Group B cars will be same as DiRT Rally, with one makeover, as was said:

- Opel Manta 400
- Lancia 037 Evo II
- Lancia Delta S4
- Peugeot 205 T16 Evo II
- MG Metro 6R4
- Ford RS200
Just trying to avoid the S1 22B E2 confusion XD

Snaky115 said:
versedi said:
Busterbvi said:

Can confirm, a low level of reverb is inside DiRT Rally already, the narrowest roads on Monte have it and some other individual moments, maybe one or two cliffs on Greece. Purely on gameplay with chase cam at least, don't think i've heard it in replays yet.

I might be talking out of my butt due to mistranslating what i know as "reverb" tho :D

OK, this is what I mean by "Reverb" this is the best example I can find, crank those speakers and listen when the car is out of sight, this is the glorious sound of a BDA on Webbers.  Hearing the Group 4 cars sounding like this at 3am in the middle of the forest on the Welsh and Lombard RAC rallies back in the 70"s & 80"s will haunt me as long as I live !

https://youtu.be/cf_NH8yoCgY

bogani said:
KickUp said:
Jepsertti said:
EDDSkitz said:
Jepsertti said:
EDDSkitz said:
Jepsertti said:
This thread has turned into Paul's Q&A :D Incredible that he's willing to answer our questions even though it's weekend!

@KickUp since you confirmed that the Evo X R4 is going to be in DiRT 4, have you guys fixed the interior of it so it's LHD with proper Motec display etc.? Also, hopefully it will have proper torque curve and stuff like that so it doesn't rev something like 7500rpm :) In real life they change gears at around 5000-5500rpm.
I build these engines for a living, red line is 7500 stock, and depending on turbo, als setup, etc... they will make power out past 10,500rpm.

Hell, my turbo doesn't even spool till 4300.
You build Evo X R4 engines for a living? Hmm, weird. I've seen and heard lots of Evo X R4's in real life and it's quite clear that they're not revving nearly as much as in DiRT Rally. Take a look at this video for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yEyEiO5lEw

The Evo X R4 should be driven with torque due to the nature of its engine in R4 spec. I know that there are some hill climb and rallycross Evo X's that easily rev over 7500rpm, but that's due to completely different rules. But watching that video you can quite clearly see how "wrong" the Evo X is in DiRT Rally so that's why I hope it would be more accurate in DiRT 4 :)
I see what you're saying, they are just driving it like that to keep it in the torque band... look at the actual Rev meter in the middle, running about halfish.... 

And I'll be running some races in a bit, but I felt the Evo would drive like this in the game too, I'll check.
Yeah I see :) So maybe there should be a lot less torque than there currently is after 5500rpm, so we would actually need to drive like in that video to be quick? That's what I meant with a more accurate torque curve, because I feel like the Evo X revs way too easily to that 7500rpm point... I might be wrong though, you seem to have a lot more experience with those cars in real life.
Our auto boxes now shift at peak torque. 
Will we be able to see torque figures this time?

I'll answer this myself as I saw it in the vids. Yes there are HP and TQ numbers but no curves so we have no idea where in the rev range it peaks.

Yay! lol

Dytut said:

- Opel Manta 400
- Lancia 037 Evo II
- Lancia Delta S4
- Peugeot 205 T16 Evo II
- MG Metro 6R4
- Ford RS200
+1 points for @Dytut. @warpengage, go and sit on the naughty step. :smiley:

Hands-on by Redbull: http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331842303784/dirt-4-interview-ps4-xbox-one-pc

Busterbvi said:

Field of View   Currently impossible to get a realistic FOV in any chosen view.  A good FOV should include both front screen pillars in your peripheral vision with the top of the dash, top of the wheel and most of the bonnet.

Not to get totally off topic here, but - this is certainly not a general definition of a "realistic FOV". It might be true on your setup, but on many others this won't be true at all. For example on my setup, if I set the FOV correctly, I don't even see the driver side pillar on my screen on some cars (or just part of it at best), let alone the one on the co-driver side. Setting the FOV the way you described would just get me an incredibly unrealistic wide angle view I wouldn't even be able to drive properly with.

So I’ve been trawling through these forums for little information snippets and, combining this with what we know for sure, I figured I’d have an educated guess at the current state of the car list.

From what I can deduce

-          There will be a minimum of 50 cars

-          DiRT Rally had 46 cars

-          2010s WRCs replaced with R5 (with three, possibly four)

-          R2 class added (with three)

-          RX Lites

-          Group B RX

-          No Hillclimb

-          Landrush (at least one buggy and one truck)

-          Mitsubishi Evo VI added

-          Subaru Impreza N12 R4 replaced with RN4

-          2016 WRX licenced (minus a Subaru, plus up to three cars)

-          Citroen C4 removed (I’m guessing no Citroens at all)

Removed (x11)

-          Citroen C4 (07)  2000s

-          Subaru Impreza N12        R4

-          VW Polo               2010s

-          Ford Fiesta          2010s

-          Hyundai i20         2010s

-          Mini Clubman    2010s

-          Audi S1 E2           HC

-          Peugeot 205 PP HC

-          Peugeot 405 PP HC

-          Peugeot 208 T16 PP        HC

-          Subaru Impreza RX SC

Additions (x17)

-          Mitsubishi Lancer EvoVI Group A

-          Subaru Impreza        R4

-          Ford Fiesta R5    R5

-          Hyundai i20         R5 (guess, could be the Mitsubishi)

-          Peugeot 208       R5

-          Opel Corsa          R2 (educated guess)

-          Ford Fiesta          R2 (educated guess)

-          Peugeot 208       R2 (educated guess)

-          Ford Focus WRX                RX SC (guess)

-          Audi S1 WRX      RX SC (guess)

-          Seat Ibiza WRX  RX SC (guess)

-          Ford Fiesta          RX2

-          Peugeot 205 T16               Gp B RX (guess)

-          Ford RS200          Gp B RX (likely)

-          MG Metro 6R4   Gp B RX (likely)

-          Landrush Buggy LR

-          Landrush Truck  LR

-          Crosskart RX (literally had no idea these even existed)

Now, that will take us to 53, but we’ve seen nothing of trucks yet so it wouldn’t be a stretch to imagine a couple of models. I’d guess the fourth R5 car they’re seeking the licence for will be the Skoda, unless they are including the unhomologated Mitsubishi R5, in which case it could be the Hyundai they’re after (and I’m hoping for the Polo R5 as DLC when it appears). Personally I hope the Alpine is shifted into the 70s class and a Saab is added to the 60s, but I’ll avoid making a wishlist here for now…

Please don’t take anything above as fact!

Mitsubishi Evo IX R4 removed

Thare wasn't an Evo IX in DiRT Rally, it was an Evo X, and some pages ago Paul said that there would be an Evo X in DiRT4

Busterbvi said:
Snaky115 said:
versedi said:
Busterbvi said:

OK, this is what I mean by "Reverb" this is the best example I can find, crank those speakers and listen when the car is out of sight, this is the glorious sound of a BDA on Webbers.  Hearing the Group 4 cars sounding like this at 3am in the middle of the forest on the Welsh and Lombard RAC rallies back in the 70"s & 80"s will haunt me as long as I live !

https://youtu.be/cf_NH8yoCgY

@soundfx   I think we've discussed this in the past, would you like to comment?

IRL i get that same feeling, the hairs on my neck standing up!  I've always wanted to be able to plant a camera in the game, and just hear the car in a distance thru the forest.  Its a real rush! 

-          RX S1600 replaced with RX Lites

Unless something has changed, I believe both the Super 1600 and Lites will be in DiRT 4 @RodgerDavies. Perhaps @KickUp can confirm that. 

-          Mitsubishi Evo IX R4 removed

Evo IX wasn't in DiRT Rally?

-          Subaru Impreza N12 R4 replaced with N14

Applying the "N" classification is tricky now Prodrive are no longer building cars, their last few revisions were not annual and the latest car is for a different regulation. The R4 Impreza in DiRT Rally would have been an N14/N15 or N16, therefore N17 sort of applies for the new NR4 car. 

At this stage though, I think the "N" moniker can be dropped. 

CaseF said:
Busterbvi said:

Field of View   Currently impossible to get a realistic FOV in any chosen view.  A good FOV should include both front screen pillars in your peripheral vision with the top of the dash, top of the wheel and most of the bonnet.

Not to get totally off topic here, but - this is certainly not a general definition of a "realistic FOV". It might be true on your setup, but on many others this won't be true at all. For example on my setup, if I set the FOV correctly, I don't even see the driver side pillar on my screen on some cars (or just part of it at best), let alone the one on the co-driver side. Setting the FOV the way you described would just get me an incredibly unrealistic wide angle view I wouldn't even be able to drive properly with.

I find it impossible to set up the FOV to appear as it would driving your own car in real life, in reality, both pillars are visible in your peripheral vision, I can't get it to look right including the left pillar without it looking like your sat in the back seat, best I could get cuts off a lot of the left side view. because of this I kept taking out that concrete post on the inside of the first uphill 90 left on Gueyfron Long just before the second water splash. A modder has fixed this to look right on RaceDepartment. Check it out. I am using a 32 inch monitor.

Quote "Setting the FOV the way you described would just get me an incredibly unrealistic wide angle view I wouldn't even be able to drive properly with"  ..... No sir, setting it up properly the way I describe would give you a realistic wide angle of view as it is in reality. If it's not fixed in D4, I will try the mod for DR, if that's still not satisfactory, I will go with VR and be done with it !

Anyway, just my response, lets stay on topic.

tbtstt said:

Unless something has changed, I believe both the Super 1600 and Lites will be in DiRT 4 @RodgerDavies. Perhaps @KickUp can confirm that. 

Applying the "N" classification is tricky now Prodrive are no longer building cars, their last few revisions were not annual and the latest car is for a different regulation. The R4 Impreza in DiRT Rally would have been an N14/N15 or N16, therefore N17 sort of applies for the new NR4 car. 

S1600, Crosskarts, RX2 (RX Lites), Supercars and Group B are all classes in Rallycross.

KickUp said:
tbtstt said:

S1600, Crosskarts, RX2 (RX Lites), Supercars and Group B are all classes in Rallycross.
Is there currently any more info on if the any-car-any-track idea is going to implemented in any form? You said there wouldn't be trophy trucks on rally stages but is anything else going to cross over? I would assume with the RX track licences that they probably wont?

Ooh another question popped into my mind just now. Will it be possible to spectate live during online rally's and rallycross? You see live broadcasts with championship races in rFactor 2 and iRacing, but it wasn't really possible to do any live coverage in DiRT Rally. I did a short DiRT Rally championship with a league that usually does rFactor 2 with live coverage, and they covered a single round using replay footage. It's in Dutch, but it shows how cool this could be for leagues if it was possible to do live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyLLaax2upc

Yeah and as i remembered my question too late yesterday, a return of Point A to B races for trucks/Buggies like in DiRT 2 would be an interesting return. @kickup Maybe some other day, most likely not for D4.

@KickUp wondering if Nvidias SMP technology will be able to be used in the game? 

Allows us to run triple screen with proper viewpoints, but apparently needs to be implemented by the developer.

Areyouben said:
Ooh another question popped into my mind just now. Will it be possible to spectate live during online rally's and rallycross? You see live broadcasts with championship races in rFactor 2 and iRacing, but it wasn't really possible to do any live coverage in DiRT Rally. I did a short DiRT Rally championship with a league that usually does rFactor 2 with live coverage, and they covered a single round using replay footage. It's in Dutch, but it shows how cool this could be for leagues if it was possible to do live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyLLaax2upc
Also wonders if there will be replays in RX multiplayer but not too optimistic as they didn't switch engine.

Spectating live heats would also be awesome :)

Is there currently any more info on if the any-car-any-track idea is going to implemented in any form? You said there wouldn't be trophy trucks on rally stages but is anything else going to cross over? I would assume with the RX track licences that they probably wont?
Its unlikely - as there are so many individual nuances and restrictions we can't offer the blanket any car any track that I guess people want