Jump to content

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

 

Message added by PJTierney

Recommended Posts

BadD0g said:
chukonu said:
Will we get painful bumps and sidebumpers (those might have to be softened a bit from DR) again? I loved how hard the terrain itself was in DR. In the Australia footage, the terrain does seem quite a bit softer but maybe it's just the location.
I think you might be in the minority on that one, mate.  :D
Hard as in difficult, I meant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chukonu said:
BadD0g said:
chukonu said:
Will we get painful bumps and sidebumpers (those might have to be softened a bit from DR) again? I loved how hard the terrain itself was in DR. In the Australia footage, the terrain does seem quite a bit softer but maybe it's just the location.
I think you might be in the minority on that one, mate.  :D
Hard as in difficult, I meant.
Ah, I see. In that case, you're one of us! I thought you meant how the solid road edges like in Wales that cars bounce off of, which is definitely a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
human1101 said:
@BadD0g or like the solid snow drifts in monte carlo that you slide up like ramps
We tried to make them soft but it caused a bunch of horrible side effects so we had to put it on ice :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
urgaffel said:
human1101 said:
@BadD0g or like the solid snow drifts in monte carlo that you slide up like ramps
We tried to make them soft but it caused a bunch of horrible side effects so we had to put it on ice :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah, perf issues i think Paul said :(  Retro fitting a stage wasn't as simple.

As for someone elses pre-ordering question; they haven't finalised the versions yet, as soon as they do, pre-ordering will be available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
human1101 said:
pretty much the only questions i have are will you be keeping clutch override
You can see clutch override is an option at 5:24 in this gameplay video. Note that was in the arcade ("Normal"), not sim, handling mode, so it really looks like you can tailor Dirt 4 to the exact experience you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dirt 4 delayed to August!

Apparantly the devs are on the forum answering questions instead of working on the game.

This was a joke people. Geez.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@KickUp will the default setups be better balanced than DR's? Some of the default setups there are downright sillywilly! Sorry if it's been asked earlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Flagged for abuse :(

Bogani's humour is too short.
Ha!                                                 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Please please put in a FOV slider for consoles. Some of us have proper rigs and it would be so nice to be able to lower the FOV. Surely having less stuff onscreen wouldn't negatively affect the frame rate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KickUp said:
@KickUp

Will we be able to take any car for a spin round the Dirtfish Rally School?

I think I took the Fiesta RX round there back in November, but just wondering if that was meant to happen or not?
I don't think it will be any car but it will be as many as we can as it is seperate from the career.
I think RCM is dodging the real question, but I'm always looking to jump in and help other folk out. Will he be able to drive his 106 round the Dirtfish Rally School?
No I bloody won't be  :'(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KevM said:
KickUp said:
IvanCRO95 said:
@KickUp
2 Quick questions.
1. Will there be a FOV slider for consoles?
2. Can we set the timer without popups on splits?


1) Unlikely as FOV affects frame rate too much on console
2) not sure what you mean by this. 
 
Splits in D:R were right in the line of vision.  I think he wants an option to place/disable
I'll double check. I think we've moved them at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@KickUp, as you still seem to be up posting (unless you're asleep now!), I'll repost this from earlier that I was wondering about:

With the tile-based approach, is it possible to do wide open vistas/big changes in height? One of the nice things about DiRT Rally (and previous DiRT games) were the wide open areas, but I can imagine that making tiles stick together and render off into the distance may be mutually incompatible!

I like it when you can see a bit of distance outside of the tracks in the Australia demo footage, it makes it feel less like tunnels of walls/smoke and mirrors to hide the tiling.

Related to this: will there be any unique tiles to each area? For example, previous Australia stages in McRae/DiRT often featured either a road train truck or a piece of pipeline. These sort of features make the tracks feel a bit less copy-and-pasted. Are you looking to put in unique-ish elements to help the tracks feel more alive/natural?

It's very interesting stuff. And it seems to load the stages faster than Racecraft (the game on Steam that auto-generates whole F1 style circuits from variables you choose).
We've tried to keep the vistas and draw distance as much as possible. While there perhaps won't be as many set pieces you do get some very cool moments as you get round a corner and the road falls away towards the horizon leaving you to pin the throttle.
All tiles are unique to their location. That's what lets us give the road the right feeling as well as it's look (also why it's a pain in the ass to make) :p  
We've tried to keep the obviously canned moments to a minimum as they really stand out after a run or two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BadD0g said:
chukonu said:
Will we get painful bumps and sidebumpers (those might have to be softened a bit from DR) again? I loved how hard the terrain itself was in DR. In the Australia footage, the terrain does seem quite a bit softer but maybe it's just the location.
I think you might be in the minority on that one, mate.  :D
It's location dependant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I've only one question Mr. Coleman:

Is MYSTERY location a random rally stage? Is a secret location you don't want to reveal yet? 

I honestly think the "Your Stage" system is great, however there is few locations to play... I wouldn't have any problem to pay for several location DLCs, I know you're not very fan about DLCs, but it's really a pity we have 2 excellent games (I don't have any dude Dirt 4 will be great if you keep Dirt Rally physics) with so few locations...

thanks for your feedback and sorry for my english...


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
urgaffel said:
human1101 said:
@BadD0g or like the solid snow drifts in monte carlo that you slide up like ramps
We tried to make them soft but it caused a bunch of horrible side effects so we had to put it on ice :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KickUp said:
KevM said:
KickUp said:
IvanCRO95 said:
@KickUp
2 Quick questions.
1. Will there be a FOV slider for consoles?
2. Can we set the timer without popups on splits?


1) Unlikely as FOV affects frame rate too much on console
2) not sure what you mean by this. 
 
Splits in D:R were right in the line of vision.  I think he wants an option to place/disable
I'll double check. I think we've moved them at least. 
The best option would be the ability to turn the split times on/off separately from the stage timer. Like stage timer / stage timer with splits / off 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I love the RWD handling in DR. It's the most convincing one ever to be featured in a game on loose surfaces.

There is one thing I miss though. The ability to hold on to the long sweeping powerslides with full opposite lock. It feels like you don't have enough steering lock to hold on to it so you either have to straighten out or accept a spin.

Maybe the new suspension model will do wonders. Maybe not :) @KickUp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bogani said:
I love the RWD handling in DR. It's the most convincing one ever to be featured in a game on loose surfaces.

There is one thing I miss though. The ability to hold on to the long sweeping powerslides with full opposite lock. It feels like you don't have enough steering lock to hold on to it so you either have to straighten out or accept a spin.

Maybe the new suspension model will do wonders. Maybe not :) @KickUp

I feel this is to do with the force feedback personally, these cars never had a large opposite lock compared to something like a drift car anyway. All about that throttle control :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fbetes said:
I've only one question Mr. Coleman:

Is MYSTERY location a random rally stage? Is a secret location you don't want to reveal yet? 

I honestly think the "Your Stage" system is great, however there is few locations to play... I wouldn't have any problem to pay for several location DLCs, I know you're not very fan about DLCs, but it's really a pity we have 2 excellent games (I don't have any dude Dirt 4 will be great if you keep Dirt Rally physics) with so few locations...

thanks for your feedback and sorry for my english...


We are focusing on the five locations to ensure that Your Stage delivers on the promise we have made. As it is a completely new way of making tracks the costs have been significant. This however  is just the beginning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@KickUp will the default setups be better balanced than DR's? Some of the default setups there are downright sillywilly! Sorry if it's been asked earlier.
The default setups are designed to be neutral. If we made them perfect then there would be no point in tuning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KickUp said:
@KickUp will the default setups be better balanced than DR's? Some of the default setups there are downright sillywilly! Sorry if it's been asked earlier.
The default setups are designed to be neutral. If we made them perfect then there would be no point in tuning.
Yeah but... say the Sierra Cosworth's default setup. Absolutely rubbish first gear (many, many cars suffer from this), and then the second gear is way too long - the rest of the gears are also all over the place. On 80% of the stages, you never even get to use 5th. It just makes no sense how this setup could be considered "neutral" - it's as though they were purposely made to be bad.

Surely it can't hurt with a decent base setup with at least balanced gears? I don't think anybody's asking for perfection in the base setup, but... just a little more balance. I doubt anyone's going to venture into car setup territory first thing they do when they first try out Dirt 4. At least I won't.

Well that's how I feel about this anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×