DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Will be interesting to see if they come with some kind of an announcement today!

I'm listening to WRC5 conference at Rallye Monte Carlo launch and here's the low down:
- to be launched in Autumn 2015
- will have what you would expect from an official WRC game (drivers, cars, rallies)
- some other blah blah about having more to tell later on
- Seb Chardonnet as game tester?

Then something more interesting: in May they will announce a multiplayer mode, never before seen in a racing game...
Could it be some sort of an asynchronous rally mode? 
Lee was teasing guys on reddit about something along those lines...

What I wonder is whether, assuming Eurogamer article got the timeline right, DiRT could come out sooner than WRC5 and have a similar/better mode already implemented?

I'm listening to WRC5 conference at Rallye Monte Carlo launch and here's the low down:
- to be launched in Autumn 2015
- will have what you would expect from an official WRC game (drivers, cars, rallies)
- some other blah blah about having more to tell later on
- Seb Chardonnet as game tester?

Then something more interesting: in May they will announce a multiplayer mode, never before seen in a racing game...
Lee was teasing guys on reddit about something along those lines...

What I wonder is whether, assuming Eurogamer article got the timeline right, DiRT could come out sooner than WRC5 and have a similar/better mode already implemented?

I really do not hope that the multiplayer game in the WRC would be something like we discussed here at the forum,... for example my idea, the ultimate wrc team... >.< Some where i do noticed that balck bean or bigben took some ideas from us... =/

Fantastic stupid marketing.... 2014 without good racing game and 2015 with seb loeb rally + wrc 5 + project cars +(maybe) dirt 4 + forza 6 (FOR XBOX ONE)...... i don't understand this nonsense planning of release....

I think a multiplayer mode would be to have one player driving and the other reading/flipping pacenotes on their screen and shouting them out hehe... the pad could even shake around the same as how the car's handling perhaps...

Big Ben will have to come up with something special to get any where near what I played at Codies last October. (Just to get back on DiRT topic)

I think special will be only the licence.... i was play tester on for milestone but all suggestion was blocked ..... i think fronm the publisher and not fron the programmers in milestone...

MarcusPia said:
Fantastic stupid marketing.... 2014 without good racing game and 2015 with seb loeb rally + wrc 5 + project cars +(maybe) dirt 4 + forza 6 (FOR XBOX ONE)...... i don't understand this nonsense planning of release....
Don't really see them as in the same space - sure they are all driving games but so long as they offer something different then I think that is OK from competition perspective.

Seb Loeb rally seems like it may be the most similar to dirt. But AFAIK both this and WRC 5 are slated for September (see milestones website for SLR). Even with my usually pessimistic predicitions for Dirt, I reckon it will be out before then. Codies normally announce a lot later than 7 months ahead !

Worth pointing out (as a few have made the mistake) that from the info I have seen Milestone will not be doing WRC5. It will be a new developer. BigBen are the distributors IIRC and remain the same.

Big Ben will have to come up with something special to get any where near what I played at Codies last October. (Just to get back on DiRT topic)
Oh!! Nice tease.

For my previous post about marketing i think 2 games at year in different half of year are good for player and for developer ... i will not buy 4 games in one year and i think most of the people after a lot of time whitout games will buy the first released.

With WRC5 and Seb Loeb Rally Evo doing these teasery things, I think it's soon time for DiRT4 to tease something? Maybe? What do you think @justbiglee‌?

I'm hoping it's a randomly generated stage mode, where the host picks the length of the stages to be raced, the location/time/weather, and the server randomly generates all the stages for that rally.
That would put a lot more emphasis on following pace notes, rather than how many times each player has run a particular stage.

MarcusPia said:
For my previous post about marketing i think 2 games at year in different half of year are good for player and for developer ... i will not buy 4 games in one year and i think most of the people after a lot of time whitout games will buy the first released.
I think you are right mostly.

For example with me I pretty much buy driving games only - any others I buy s/h after release. So not really budget constrained ! Whereas the vast majority of people who buy games buy many other types of games so their budget is more limited. But these people are where all the sales are. Even for me I won't buy a game unless it offers good value (I'm tight when it comes to laying out on games), so for example with WRC4 I waited til it was down to £20, mainly because a lot of the tracks were similar to WRC3 and at full price it wasn't good value. 

For me I will wait for the right game, but most people are more impatient. I think most people on here are such fans of the rally genre they will buy all the games anyway eventually. But we are in the minority. the volume sales are in the casual market and you've got to make those guys NEED that game.

as long as the stages don't look as artificial as in all the previous wrc-games I am pretty much. visuals might not be that great, but if everything else is finde, i can live with it. ever since i love rally games I will most likely get them all, if slr is released for pc, too.

Sébastien Loeb Rally Evo is looking better than WRC5...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B791ZBMCUAAHv-B.jpg:large
U can make the best and most beautiful good looking graphic stages,... but as long as game snow, does not react as real snow, game ice, not as real ice, and game gravel and tarmac, not as real gravel and tarmac, its all worthless....

For example...the SS1 of the Monte Carlo Rally 2015 ( if u didnt see it, try to watch it ) the stage was mixed up by ice snow and tarmac,... no WRC driver ( except the legend Loeb) couldnt drive flat out, and had to be carefull, this is where its all about in rallying master the underground and try to be as fast as possible ..

Thats what is also really important for a rally game ( sim or not doesnt mather) the behavior of the surrounds and nature has to be perfect. because this is where its all about... ( same with the cars)

And i have to admit,... with all respect to the WRC games made by Milestone or other racing games... no one got that perfect yet. The modders of RBR came very close,.. thats why its so perfect RALLY SIM, I do hope that codemasters will get close to it!
But I think I am alloud to say this * if not please  @justbiglee dont kill me * 
I think Codemasters and the DiRT team understand this important basic structure very well... and know what to do!

I agree, even out-of-the-box without mods, RBR plays like a simulator, i.e. not going flat out all the time, but going 90% often, just to not crash! Whereas a lot of other games are more the thrill of rallying, a Sega Rally style approach of getting to the finish as fast as possible, which is thrilling to play, but less stressful than real life!

Codemasters usually have done a semi-sim approach, that's appealing to the masses who just play with joypads and a heavy "right foot", yet still feels authentic enough. It'll be interesting to see if they do go any more in an RBR direction though.

With WRC5 and Seb Loeb Rally Evo doing these teasery things, I think it's soon time for DiRT4 to tease something? Maybe? What do you think @justbiglee‌?
GAS was announced approx. 8 weeks before it was released. Competitor teases for other rally games have been announced 7 months or so.

7 months can be a hell of a time to wait, and during that time the "information density" is pretty low, you might get something every couple of months or so.

If you look back at GAS there was a lot of in depth information provided during the build up period, much more so than you get from many other developers. It's not possible to keep up this level of detail for 8 months or so.

So you can either do it the cm way, with a strong build up over a short time period, or you can have a long build up with information coming very rarely. 

Personally I quite like the CM build up and I think it is stronger for sales generation. So I don't have a problem with Cm not releasing info until they are ready.

dudes!

Sorry I haven't been about much this week, I've just been happy to sit and watch you all talk.

Figured I'd give you an update of what I've been working on this week.

The man from Facebook came for a visit, he was a great guy and really loves GRID and DiRT but lets just say he feel's similar to most of our fans about our recent efforts - He made a joke about cockpit view when he was presenting to all the suits I thought was really funny :D. He was a lot like you guys, just itching for a good rally game so I let him have a go on the D-Box and he absolutely loved it. I was really pleased to see that he liked it, I love hearing/seeing people love our game.

Errrr what else did I do this week...

Oh! Merchandise, I need your help with this. I'm looking at what kind of swag I would like for DiRT so now is the right time to let me know what kind of DiRT Merchandise you would like. This is the kind of stuff I'll use for prizes and the like. So speak now or forever hold your peace.

Played the game a bit today, a new thing... or old thing depending how you look at it was added and EVERYBODY was playing it. (So cool).

I had to add more stuff into a marketing plan... ughhh.

I've been cracking on with my dirt website stuff I needed to do for the web team.

I've been toying with the idea of doing let's play style videos, wondered what you guys thought about it? What kind of things would you like to hear us talk about if we did? (or is it a dumb idea?)

And I've been working on a way to kind of introduce you guys to the other members of the team and people who work on DiRT. I think you are aware of all the cool ones already, but if you've any ideas on things you would like to hear and what kind of stuff you would like to know about the people and their jobs then let me know.

And I've been watching the WRC via WRC+ (which is awesome and you should all subscribe to it btw)

There is other stuff I can't even hint at because I'll get told off... again. And the rest of my week has been spent walking around talking to/annoying/distracting other people like Paul, Darren and countless others from doing their work... Which probably isn't a good thing.

There you have it, that is my week. 

:)

Oh! Merchandise, I need your help with this. I'm looking at what kind of swag I would like for DiRT so now is the right time to let me know what kind of DiRT Merchandise you would like.
T-shirts would top my list.
Preferably something with more than just the logo on the shirt.
I'm thinking something like a race day shirt.

Oh! Merchandise, I need your help with this. I'm looking at what kind of swag I would like for DiRT so now is the right time to let me know what kind of DiRT Merchandise you would like. This is the kind of stuff I'll use for prizes and the like. So speak now or forever hold your peace.

Wooly hats: every rally fan (in the UK anyway!) has to have one, be good to representing DiRT out on the stages!

Played the game a bit today, a new thing... or old thing depending how you look at it was added and EVERYBODY was playing it. (So cool).

I guess that would be "That Track" that was mentioned on Twitter this afternoon. I have a suspicion, I hope it's what I think it is...
Areyouben said:
Big sale before the announcement? :p https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/codemasters/ Some nice prices for if you haven't played some of the recent ones.
I wonder if that applies to PS3 DLC as well? I better jump on PSN and have a look, I want those classic Touring Cars for Autosport!

Oh! Merchandise, [...] 
:)
I'm always on the lookout for nice stickers, still waiting to get my hands on some DiRT3 ones for my toolbox. I'd suggest you team up with We The Terrors, their stickers has a lot of attitude and is a lot more fun than "just a sticker with a logo".

Another thing I'd love to have is a quality DiRT fitted cap to wear in the service park between shakedown and stages.