Brace Yourselves - Its gonna be a long 4 months....  :#

Areyouben said:
PaloSamo said:
It has to be the Moon                         
Well, it was in GT6 :p
Which means they surely have exclusive rights to the Moon, like Pikes Peak.  :D
With current copyright situation I wouldn't be too surprised about it :D

Hah, you forgot "mystery" :D  

But yeah, i think that's a 'surprise me' option, not another location.
Nah, they woudn't be so cruel, and they surely left something for gossipers there. List updated with N, by the way.
Okay, I'm terrible at guessing but i'd pick New Zealand, Norway, Malaysia or Malta.
Monaco/Monte Carlo? Maybe not your stage but DR Stages
They already said Monte's out due to licensing.  I think WRC or the FIA put to bed Dirt Rally being able to copy stages from the WRC...they don't want Dirt rally to compete with the WRC games, which it doesnt...Dirt blows those games out of the water!

I dont have the time to dig thru the comments, but is Monte and Finland licensed as well?   Pikes peak is 'sort of' a private road, I believe the tolls are collected are for profit.  

However the others (Monte & Finland) are public roads, correct?  Here in the USA public is considered owned buy the public, so no need to license.

Please no politics (i've had enough already elsewhere), just wondering if this applies to other countries or did i misread @KickUp 's comment?

wfwr26 said:
Hah, you forgot "mystery" :D  

But yeah, i think that's a 'surprise me' option, not another location.
Nah, they woudn't be so cruel, and they surely left something for gossipers there. List updated with N, by the way.
Okay, I'm terrible at guessing but i'd pick New Zealand, Norway, Malaysia or Malta.
Monaco/Monte Carlo? Maybe not your stage but DR Stages
They already said Monte's out due to licensing.  I think WRC or the FIA put to bed Dirt Rally being able to copy stages from the WRC...they don't want Dirt rally to compete with the WRC games, which it doesnt...Dirt blows those games out of the water!
Monte as a location could probably be included, but not a stage that is evidently designed after a real stage in the rally. That means no stage from DR as they are all designed after real ones.

Very, very proud to show you all our brand new DiRT Show episode! There's still Darren and Paul on a sofa (of course, would it even be a DiRT Show without it), but Kris Meeke and Petter Solberg also made the cut this time. :)

https://youtu.be/cREEx-6zX_s

Watches the DiRT Show and thinks...

Codies are humble enough to admit, and take onboard, feedback from a Professional Driver ( Peter's Son ), who e-mailed them saying theirs game isn't good enough, and could / should be improved.

In other game, that's maketed as the Top-Notch Simulator, from the Dev's, a Professional Driver, with tons of RL experience in a handful of Racing Disciplines, goes to theirs Forums, and when he gives Feedback saying that theirs Tyre Model doesn't feel quite right, and even provides what might be a solution to the issue, some Lord ( you know who he is ) comes over, and says, literally: " F*%# Off, i know better ".

On Topic... Awesome DiRT Show, guys!!

Great Production, and having Peter, his son, and Kris ( who's my favourite Rally driver since Colin McRae ) onboard is fantastic *thumbs up*

I don't know about licencing but I believe the main reason behind Monte not being in it is the complexity of the mountains and cliff drops is too much for Your Stage to generate

gfRally said:
I dont have the time to dig thru the comments, but is Monte and Finland licensed as well?   Pikes peak is 'sort of' a private road, I believe the tolls are collected are for profit.  

However the others (Monte & Finland) are public roads, correct?  Here in the USA public is considered owned buy the public, so no need to license.

Please no politics (i've had enough already elsewhere), just wondering if this applies to other countries or did i misread @KickUp 's comment?
Well the actual event 'Pikes Peak International Hillclimb' would need to be licensed, so I imagine that you would be in trouble if you copied the road and didn't pay for it, even if you called it something else.

I don't know about licencing but I believe the main reason behind Monte not being in it is the complexity of the mountains and cliff drops is too much for Your Stage to generate
I understand that and makes perfect sense.  

Im just curious if they HAD to license it for DR, like i said i may have read wrong what Paul mentioned.  

gfRally said:

Im just curious if they HAD to license it for DR, like i said i may have read wrong what Paul mentioned.  

I don't think there was any license, but during development things started to unfold. I remember Paul told me they had to "tone down" the Colins Crest area in Sweden as possible legal trouble laid ahead if it was too similar.

Imagine they releasing Dirt 4 with true to life stages, only to be sued by the WRC. I guess this is the reason the legal advisors at CM raised a red flag on true stages.

gfRally said:

I've tried answering this a few times as it is complicated and I can't go into the full details of the situation however....

We made bespoke tracks in DiRT Rally because at the time the license was available and we thought we would have a better chance of getting it if we did it. As we went through development we didn't secure the license and we ended up having a bunch of stages that were used in the championship. The roads themselves are not licensed, however since DiRT Rally we have been advised (legally) to avoid representing these roads and using them for rally events. When we started to look at reusing those tracks in DiRT 4 we were advised that we would need to change them significantly to avoid getting into trouble. The amount of work required to rework the routes so that they were no longer authentic made no sense as we would essentially be spending good money on removing the authenticity of those roads. 

Hopefully that makes it a bit clearer as to why we have not continued with those stages in DiRT 4. It is obviously a shame but we are just going to have to move on for now. Should the opportunity arise in future to use them then we still have them in our archives and we'll be able to dust them off and use them again.

Pikes Peak is another interesting one. We signed the deal to use the track and the event before they went exclusive but it took a while for us to confirm that we could use the full event license in DiRT Rally. We had the road but not the PPIHC part of the deal. That's why it took a while for us to get the official branding into the game.

With regards to Monte being complex. It absolutely is more complicated to do but nothing is impossible. In fact Spain has some very similar characteristics and we have managed to represent that pretty well.

.. And then we hope that the generator of tracks, understand when you want to do Finland and Monte Carlo and create them similar!! ahahahah  :D

KickUp said:
gfRally said:

I've tried answering this a few times as it is complicated and I can't go into the full details of the situation however....

We made bespoke tracks in DiRT Rally because at the time the license was available and we thought we would have a better chance of getting it if we did it. As we went through development we didn't secure the license and we ended up having a bunch of stages that were used in the championship. The roads themselves are not licensed, however since DiRT Rally we have been advised (legally) to avoid representing these roads and using them for rally events. When we started to look at reusing those tracks in DiRT 4 we were advised that we would need to change them significantly to avoid getting into trouble. The amount of work required to rework the routes so that they were no longer authentic made no sense as we would essentially be spending good money on removing the authenticity of those roads. 

Hopefully that makes it a bit clearer as to why we have not continued with those stages in DiRT 4. It is obviously a shame but we are just going to have to move on for now. Should the opportunity arise in future to use them then we still have them in our archives and we'll be able to dust them off and use them again.

Pikes Peak is another interesting one. We signed the deal to use the track and the event before they went exclusive but it took a while for us to confirm that we could use the full event license in DiRT Rally. We had the road but not the PPIHC part of the deal. That's why it took a while for us to get the official branding into the game.

With regards to Monte being complex. It absolutely is more complicated to do but nothing is impossible. In fact Spain has some very similar characteristics and we have managed to represent that pretty well.

Ah, ok! I was not too far out in my speculation them :)

What I find most interesting is that you in fact were aiming for the WRC license. A bit of a suprise to be honest. I'm not so sure that would be all that great as there is pressure of delivering a yearly product and surely many more restrictions and less freedom.

However, the "need to appeal to the casual" argument that usually is thrown around when talking about licensed games, I don't buy that. They wanna sell as many copies as possible and in that respect this argument isn't really viable anymore. DR obviously outsold WRC 5/6.

Are there any Mountains present in Spain? I'm crazy hyped to see some of Spain :)

Any lakes in any location? @kick

Thing is I wouldnt want CM to make a WRC only game (if thats what it would mean) if it meant they would lose creative control. I think Your Stage is going to be brilliant for us rally fans especially for replayability and I'd rather have that than complete realism. A rally stage is a rally stage, yes photorealistic versions of IRL stages would be great but as its a game, I would just learn them the same way I've learnt the ones from DR.

bogani said:

Are there any Mountains present in Spain? I'm crazy hyped to see some of Spain :)

I'm not sure of the exact specifics that differentiate mountains from hills but there are some large landmasses in the lands@KickUp

With regards to the lakes. I know there is at least one in Wales so I suspect there will be others in other landscapes

KickUp said:
bogani said:

I'm not sure of the exact specifics that differentiate mountains from hills but there are some large landmasses in the lands@KickUp

With regards to the lakes. I know there is at least one in Wales so I suspect there will be others in other landscapes

Glad to see that I'm not the only one on the forum thats accidentally adding @KickUp randomly all over my posts lol

bogani said:

What I find most interesting is that you in fact were aiming for the WRC license. A bit of a suprise to be honest. I'm not so sure that would be all that great as there is pressure of delivering a yearly product and surely many more restrictions and less freedom.
It surprised me too, for the same reasons.