DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Thanks @KickUp for the lengthy explanation (wasn't expecting it).  My understanding is much clearer now.  

Its impressive the lengths you have gone to get us what you have. 

PSA: I exist once more and agree with most of what has been said in my name over my period of non-existence. The only thing that really disappoints me (actually, it's more a minor setback than a major disappointment) is the fact that there won't be Splitscreen and Hotseat's unlikely... guess I'll have to make do with Pseudo-Hotseat Mode again.

In case anyone's wondering, that's basically like an 'Offline League', only it happens in one sitting (usually) and we manually record our times on paper. I usually do it with my siblings, destroying my youngest brother's VW Polo R time in a 1960's Mini Cooper. (Yes he's that bad.). Granted, he is just a child (11yearold). Still, now, with DiRT4' changeable handling, he may actually standing some hope of a chance.

In other news, my brother had a school trip to Florida last year where he "found out what diabetes taste like", Makes you wonder just what in the world they put in their pastries...

KickUp said:
bogani said:

Are there any Mountains present in Spain? I'm crazy hyped to see some of Spain :)

Any lakes in any location? @kick

I'm not sure of the exact specifics that differentiate mountains from hills but there are some large landmasses in the lands@KickUp

With regards to the lakes. I know there is at least one in Wales so I suspect there will be others in other landscapes

So it is totally randow whenever a stage will end up besides the lake in Wales?

I wonder, how many tiles each landscape is made of? 512x512, 1024x1024, 5000x5000? How big is each tile? Do the tiles change to blend seamlessly with other tiles or are there some tiles which can only go with other certain tiles?

789ifyz said:
In case anyone's wondering, that's basically like an 'Offline League', only it happens in one sitting (usually) and we manually record our times on paper. I usually do it with my siblings, destroying my youngest brother's VW Polo R time in a 1960's Mini Cooper. (Yes he's that bad.). Granted, he is just a child (11yearold). Still, now, with DiRT4' changeable handling, he may actually standing some hope of a chance.
Me and my brother used to do that too back in CMR04. I was driving the Ford Transit van and he was in a Golf and by midstage he had already managed to lose a wheel somewhere ;D

I wonder, how many tiles each landscape is made of? 512x512, 1024x1024, 5000x5000? How big is each tile? Do the tiles change to blend seamlessly with other tiles or are there some tiles which can only go with other certain tiles?

Its a secret but it doesn't work like that ;)

KickUp said:

Its a secret but it doesn't work like that ;)
I don't know how you guys did it, but what I know is there's a reason your company is called Code Masters ;)

I'm quite surprised about the WRC License. I already said many times, i'm not a fan of "re-skinned" games, every year, and where there's no development freedom... but depends of the deal.

I, most likely, would buy a WRC game, made by Paul and all team, with DR/D4 handling, with historic Rally cars/ eras ( Group B, Group A, etc ) and with the Track Tool to keep me busy, after memorising all the reall Stages... but would i buy this "same" game every year? Probably not... Unless the game would be "re-invented" every year, to keep things interesting and fresh.

I imagine that most of Community would be very happy to see Codies getting the WRC License, there's bazillions of posts, around the Web, asking them for that to happen, but how many of them would keep buying the game, year after year, if it was always the "same" game?

In Wales there was a point where I was driving over marshland and I came into a forest section. I assume this was where tiles merged, but I honestly couldn't say for certain, as it didn't seem any different to the parts of dirt rally where you go in and out of forest

The tile system is actually nothing new, it's been around in the flight simulation world for rendering photo real scenery for years and works beautifully & seamless. If the D4 system is anything like the systems available for FSX or P3D then we are in for a treat.

Yeah, its not beyond comprehension that you'll not spot the seams.  
I would imagine you are more likely to recognise the odd roadside item or mini-landmarks, but merging tiles should not be difficult

Alf72 said:

I'm quite surprised about the WRC License. I already said many times, i'm not a fan of "re-skinned" games, every year, and where there's no development freedom... but depends of the deal.

I, most likely, would buy a WRC game, made by Paul and all team, with DR/D4 handling, with historic Rally cars/ eras ( Group B, Group A, etc ) and with the Track Tool to keep me busy, after memorising all the reall Stages... but would i buy this "same" game every year? Probably not... Unless the game would be "re-invented" every year, to keep things interesting and fresh.

I imagine that most of Community would be very happy to see Codies getting the WRC License, there's bazillions of posts, around the Web, asking them for that to happen, but how many of them would keep buying the game, year after year, if it was always the "same" game?

I like Koolaid, so yes i would buy it every year.

KevM said:
Yeah, its not beyond comprehension that you'll not spot the seams.  
I would imagine you are more likely to recognise the odd roadside item or mini-landmarks, but merging tiles should not be difficult
Yeah, you may recognise the odd corner or bit of scenery, but that's better than memorising an entire stage!

Thing is I wouldnt want CM to make a WRC only game (if thats what it would mean) if it meant they would lose creative control. I think Your Stage is going to be brilliant for us rally fans especially for replayability and I'd rather have that than complete realism. A rally stage is a rally stage, yes photorealistic versions of IRL stages would be great but as its a game, I would just learn them the same way I've learnt the ones from DR.
But they have the WRX license and both dirt rally and dirt4 arent rx only games...plus we get more classes this time around....

Dytut said:
JZStudios said:
tbtstt said:
JZStudios said:
CMMcBabe said:
It is definitely not a trick to get people to come in and wash our cars.
I don't know, you guys have some interesting cars right? I could even wear a bikini.
Be right back:

waits for @tbtstt to return with his one remaining good eye...

Holy crap, I thought this was just a gross photoshop until I remembered what this actually was.
What a weird music video. And crappy song.
Hey now, no hating on Aphex Twin :-P Love his music.
The fact people like that music...
I'm all for different genres... but that song sucked.

And a new pair of shorts.

789ifyz said:
In other news, my brother had a school trip to Florida last year where he "found out what diabetes taste like", Makes you wonder just what in the world they put in their pastries...
In Vegas there's a place called the Heart Attack Grill, where the waitresses are dressed like Hooters girls but all know CPR. Seriously. The burgers are called things like the double bypass.
Alf72 said:

Forza does a 2 year cycle, but it's always impressive all the additions they make to the game. Better graphical improvements, more cars/tracks, new features... I think it's pretty well worth it.

The question is though, if we had the WRC license, would they let us release it every two years? I would guess no, based on what Milestone had to do... So you'd be stuck with one year iterations and that's really hard to do well.

I'm going to suggest that using the WRC license is not the same as having the official WRC game.

How he let that license deal work would determine that,per @urgaffel post.

I as a keyboard player found Milestone games adequate, if not stale on their very first try. Let alone 2nd time around. I'd rather avoid that type of development hell,

urgaffel said:
The question is though, if we had the WRC license, would they let us release it every two years? I would guess no, based on what Milestone had to do... So you'd be stuck with one year iterations and that's really hard to do well.
If one could dream, you'd have the time to release a base WRC game with just a few stages per event, and your stage for one or two events. Then release a pack each year with a few new real stages and your stage updates for one or two events. Add tweaks to the cars and additional cars changed for that year.
I'd throw my money at a game like that each year in an instance. Partner up with yearly subscriptions to WRC+ and stuff like that. Would beat the living crap out of any yearly halfassed game.

Just to buck the trend, I'd love to see what Codemasters could do with the WRC licence, but that's not a complaint - looking forward to the freedoms provided by D4's freedom, new countries to rally and great selection (hopefully) of R5s and R2s 

KickUp said:
gfRally said:
I don't know about licencing but I believe the main reason behind Monte not being in it is the complexity of the mountains and cliff drops is too much for Your Stage to generate
I understand that and makes perfect sense.  

Im just curious if they HAD to license it for DR, like i said i may have read wrong what Paul mentioned.  
We made bespoke tracks in DiRT Rally because at the time the license was available and we thought we would have a better chance of getting it if we did it. As we went through development we didn't secure the license and we ended up having a bunch of stages that were used in the championship. The roads themselves are not licensed, however since DiRT Rally we have been advised (legally) to avoid representing these roads and using them for rally events. When we started to look at reusing those tracks in DiRT 4 we were advised that we would need to change them significantly to avoid getting into trouble. The amount of work required to rework the routes so that they were no longer authentic made no sense as we would essentially be spending good money on removing the authenticity of those roads. 

Hopefully that makes it a bit clearer as to why we have not continued with those stages in DiRT 4. It is obviously a shame but we are just going to have to move on for now. Should the opportunity arise in future to use them then we still have them in our archives and we'll be able to dust them off and use them again.
The saddest thing to me here is probably the fact that the official WRC game does NOT have the actual stages, they're just fantasy tracks (only super specials are supposedly authentic - didn't bother to check, I hate super specials). Unless they're planning that for WRC7. So they don't allow other people to use them, but they're not using them either.

well its very clever adding the stage generator from a few perspectives.

one im sure no or less licensing is needed because its not a official track.2 we get endless fun.

thats win win for codies.no one saying you cant do this or that if its random.or give us x amount.

If Your Stage generates almost unlimited number of stages, just keep pressing that "Regenerate" button. The real life stages will come...