Jump to content

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

 

Message added by PJTierney

Recommended Posts

CaseF said:
The saddest thing to me here is probably the fact that the official WRC game does NOT have the actual stages, they're just fantasy tracks (only super specials are supposedly authentic - didn't bother to check, I hate super specials). Unless they're planning that for WRC7. So they don't allow other people to use them, but they're not using them either.
Yes, I have a feeling it was SLRE that claimed authentic WRC stages, which goes against the WRC stages for WRC games theory 

the stages in WRC is just flat wide rubbish with big unpunished cuts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
urgaffel said:
The question is though, if we had the WRC license, would they let us release it every two years? I would guess no, based on what Milestone had to do... So you'd be stuck with one year iterations and that's really hard to do well.
But could you create a solid base platform and then update every year, similar to iRacing, or would such a model just not be feasible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dytut said:
urgaffel said:
The question is though, if we had the WRC license, would they let us release it every two years? I would guess no, based on what Milestone had to do... So you'd be stuck with one year iterations and that's really hard to do well.
If one could dream, you'd have the time to release a base WRC game with just a few stages per event, and your stage for one or two events. Then release a pack each year with a few new real stages and your stage updates for one or two events. Add tweaks to the cars and additional cars changed for that year.
I'd throw my money at a game like that each year in an instance. Partner up with yearly subscriptions to WRC+ and stuff like that. Would beat the living crap out of any yearly halfassed game.
That's a really good idea with the WRC+. As for the game itself it would basically become a subscription service rather than a game and that is a whole new can of worms. If you could defeat that can of worms and get a good sized subscription base then yes, it would be doable. The (one of many) hard part(s) would be to make sure enough people sign up to make future development a profit...
 
I'm going to suggest that using the WRC license is not the same as having the official WRC game.

How he let that license deal work would determine that,per @urgaffel post.
I think if you have the WRC license it comes with the provision to make the official game :) I don't know what the deal is of course, I have no insight into that kind of discussion but still, it seems unlikely that you'd get the WRC license and not be required to make the official game as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
urgaffel said:
The question is though, if we had the WRC license, would they let us release it every two years? I would guess no, based on what Milestone had to do... So you'd be stuck with one year iterations and that's really hard to do well.
But could you create a solid base platform and then update every year, similar to iRacing, or would such a model just not be feasible?
Yes, and that's why I don't understand business man. They only think in numbers.
If they studied the market prior to releasing a not-so- newgame every year, they had found out that Racing games have a big life spam. 
A WRC game would be feasible with one release every 3 or 4 year, Let's say that who gets the license releases now the WRC 2017, with all the machines and countries in it. For 2018, they could sell a DLC pack, with whatever new adittions that the champ had. If there are new cars and new countries, you put a price on it. If it is just some changes to the gamelog and new paint schemes you sell it for another... and you still have you're 2017 game making profits plus the DLC's. You should only bring a new game if there is a big improvement in it. New graphic engine or something like that. See the example of SimBin. They were very sucessefull with the GPL, GTR and GTR2 games, but since they were obliged to put a new game for WTCC every year, they gone...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
urgaffel said:
Dytut said:
urgaffel said:
The question is though, if we had the WRC license, would they let us release it every two years? I would guess no, based on what Milestone had to do... So you'd be stuck with one year iterations and that's really hard to do well.
If one could dream, you'd have the time to release a base WRC game with just a few stages per event, and your stage for one or two events. Then release a pack each year with a few new real stages and your stage updates for one or two events. Add tweaks to the cars and additional cars changed for that year.
I'd throw my money at a game like that each year in an instance. Partner up with yearly subscriptions to WRC+ and stuff like that. Would beat the living crap out of any yearly halfassed game.
That's a really good idea with the WRC+. As for the game itself it would basically become a subscription service rather than a game and that is a whole new can of worms. If you could defeat that can of worms and get a good sized subscription base then yes, it would be doable. The (one of many) hard part(s) would be to make sure enough people sign up to make future development a profit...
 
I'm going to suggest that using the WRC license is not the same as having the official WRC game.

How he let that license deal work would determine that,per @urgaffel post.
I think if you have the WRC license it comes with the provision to make the official game :) I don't know what the deal is of course, I have no insight into that kind of discussion but still, it seems unlikely that you'd get the WRC license and not be required to make the official game as well.
Why do I get excited every time urgaffel jumps in with something to say... I always expect another cheeky "Heeheehee, I'm working on pretties!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Even more special than the awesome night-lighting in the 4 trailer?  
It's pretty stunning to be fair, the atmosphere, depth & shadowing looks to be on a whole other level!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@KickUp

Hi!
1 Could you please confirm or deny that Your Stage generated stages max length is 13 km? If so, any chances for that to be increased in the future, or is it an engine limit and is unlikely to get improved in D4?

2 I know Codemasters decided to keep the same policy toward modding as in Dirt Rally, but do you think it would be possible in the future to get any kind of SDK, or at least some kind of documentation to actually help community modding the game (even if for SP use only)?

3 Are there any DLCs planned?

4 In car tuning menu will we be abble to attach/ remove extra lights etc, or are they automatically added (for example extra lights for night stages)?

5 Will tire wear be present (I mean simulating tire conservation, not simply modeling flat tires)

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JZStudios said:
789ifyz said:
In other news, my brother had a school trip to Florida last year where he "found out what diabetes taste like", Makes you wonder just what in the world they put in their pastries...
In Vegas there's a place called the Heart Attack Grill, where the waitresses are dressed like Hooters girls but all know CPR. Seriously. The burgers are called things like the double bypass.
Alf72 said:

I'm quite surprised about the WRC License. I already said many times, i'm not a fan of "re-skinned" games, every year, and where there's no development freedom... but depends of the deal.

I, most likely, would buy a WRC game, made by Paul and all team, with DR/D4 handling, with historic Rally cars/ eras ( Group B, Group A, etc ) and with the Track Tool to keep me busy, after memorising all the reall Stages... but would i buy this "same" game every year? Probably not... Unless the game would be "re-invented" every year, to keep things interesting and fresh.

I imagine that most of Community would be very happy to see Codies getting the WRC License, there's bazillions of posts, around the Web, asking them for that to happen, but how many of them would keep buying the game, year after year, if it was always the "same" game?

Forza does a 2 year cycle, but it's always impressive all the additions they make to the game. Better graphical improvements, more cars/tracks, new features... I think it's pretty well worth it.
Wasn't that place where the founder ironically actually died of a heart attack?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SamRWD said:
@KickUp

Hi!
1 Could you please confirm or deny that Your Stage generated stages max length is 13 km? If so, any chances for that to be increased in the future, or is it an engine limit and is unlikely to get improved in D4?

2 I know Codemasters decided to keep the same policy toward modding as in Dirt Rally, but do you think it would be possible in the future to get any kind of SDK, or at least some kind of documentation to actually help community modding the game (even if for SP use only)?

3 Are there any DLCs planned?

4 In car tuning menu will we be abble to attach/ remove extra lights etc, or are they automatically added (for example extra lights for night stages)?

5 Will tire wear be present (I mean simulating tire conservation, not simply modeling flat tires)

Thank you!

Can't answer them all, but some of these were posted on Reddit, so just trying to help out:

1. Was confirmed to be ~13km on Reddit

3. Not at present, focusing on getting the launch game ready

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KevM said:
CaseF said:
The saddest thing to me here is probably the fact that the official WRC game does NOT have the actual stages, they're just fantasy tracks (only super specials are supposedly authentic - didn't bother to check, I hate super specials). Unless they're planning that for WRC7. So they don't allow other people to use them, but they're not using them either.
Yes, I have a feeling it was SLRE that claimed authentic WRC stages, which goes against the WRC stages for WRC games theory 

the stages in WRC is just flat wide rubbish with big unpunished cuts
Wrc stages for Wrc games theory? There is no such thing. It's simply WRC that doesn't want Codemasters to benefit from claiming to have the classic stages that is used during WRC events.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
urgaffel said:
The question is though, if we had the WRC license, would they let us release it every two years? I would guess no, based on what Milestone had to do... So you'd be stuck with one year iterations and that's really hard to do well.
But could you create a solid base platform and then update every year, similar to iRacing, or would such a model just not be feasible?
Yes, and that's why I don't understand business man. They only think in numbers.
If they studied the market prior to releasing a not-so- newgame every year, they had found out that Racing games have a big life spam. 
A WRC game would be feasible with one release every 3 or 4 year, Let's say that who gets the license releases now the WRC 2017, with all the machines and countries in it. For 2018, they could sell a DLC pack, with whatever new adittions that the champ had. If there are new cars and new countries, you put a price on it. If it is just some changes to the gamelog and new paint schemes you sell it for another... and you still have you're 2017 game making profits plus the DLC's. You should only bring a new game if there is a big improvement in it. New graphic engine or something like that. See the example of SimBin. They were very sucessefull with the GPL, GTR and GTR2 games, but since they were obliged to put a new game for WTCC every year, they gone...
I also like that idea (base game every few years, season packs as DLC.

Just to add that Simbin actually took this approach with WTCC. The first game was Race and the next season was a new game Race07, but they used this as a platform for a DLC base for years. To it they added WTCC seasons until 2010, two STCC seasons with complete track roster, a set of GT cars and the Nordschliefe and a few other bits and pieces along the way (including a great historic car set).

I actually really like this modular approach and they've kept it with Raceroom as Sector3 (I have issues with Raceroom content being too piecemeal, Race07 had it perfect IMO). Instead of adding a few random things that you may not want all of (see Forza, AC, PCARS), they add full carsets for WTCC, GT Masters or other series in one go. 

Sorry, for distracted a bit, just wanted to point out that Race07 took the business model you described and did it really well.

I think whoever is dishing out the WRC licence needs to take a long look at what they're doing. That said, if it's WRC Promoter, their ideas are so outdated and focused on 'old' media, it's a miracle the series still survives. WRC as a series would benefit so much from a video game that put quality before the highest bid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enamel said:
I would 100% subscribe to a Dirt version of iRacing.
Gotta be honest, that'd be a hard sell for me. I hate subscription models in games, I don't know if I'm in the minority or majority here, but for me that's just not a model I'm comfortable with, even if the game is good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The only trouble with these subscription things or yearly update is still making a profit.

Youve got the people who buy the game to begin with, then after a year when an update comes out or a subscription renewal, your likely going to have a significant less % of people playing by this point. Some % will return with the interest of new content, but year on year this percentage of people buying or renewing subscriptions is going to dwindle quite quickly. As a company, it just probably isn't feesable unless you have a huge user base, otherwise you will be better off putting your efforts into putiing out new games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@KickUpi dont supoose there is any chance you can show a render of a crosskart? id love to see how they look, and is there other cars other than the mini and the fulvia in the h1 fwd class?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bogani said:
JZStudios said:
789ifyz said:
In other news, my brother had a school trip to Florida last year where he "found out what diabetes taste like", Makes you wonder just what in the world they put in their pastries...
In Vegas there's a place called the Heart Attack Grill, where the waitresses are dressed like Hooters girls but all know CPR. Seriously. The burgers are called things like the double bypass.
Alf72 said:

I'm quite surprised about the WRC License. I already said many times, i'm not a fan of "re-skinned" games, every year, and where there's no development freedom... but depends of the deal.

I, most likely, would buy a WRC game, made by Paul and all team, with DR/D4 handling, with historic Rally cars/ eras ( Group B, Group A, etc ) and with the Track Tool to keep me busy, after memorising all the reall Stages... but would i buy this "same" game every year? Probably not... Unless the game would be "re-invented" every year, to keep things interesting and fresh.

I imagine that most of Community would be very happy to see Codies getting the WRC License, there's bazillions of posts, around the Web, asking them for that to happen, but how many of them would keep buying the game, year after year, if it was always the "same" game?

Forza does a 2 year cycle, but it's always impressive all the additions they make to the game. Better graphical improvements, more cars/tracks, new features... I think it's pretty well worth it.
Wasn't that place where the founder ironically actually died of a heart attack?
Idunnah, prolly.

I'm hoping @urgaffel managed to figure out how to squeeze real time volumetric dirt and fog with proper z depth and buffering.
Otherwise I'm frankly not interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SamRWD said:
@KickUp

Hi!
1 Could you please confirm or deny that Your Stage generated stages max length is 13 km? If so, any chances for that to be increased in the future, or is it an engine limit and is unlikely to get improved in D4?

2 I know Codemasters decided to keep the same policy toward modding as in Dirt Rally, but do you think it would be possible in the future to get any kind of SDK, or at least some kind of documentation to actually help community modding the game (even if for SP use only)?

3 Are there any DLCs planned?

4 In car tuning menu will we be abble to attach/ remove extra lights etc, or are they automatically added (for example extra lights for night stages)?

5 Will tire wear be present (I mean simulating tire conservation, not simply modeling flat tires)

Thank you!

1. 13 km at the moment
2. Maybe but finishing the game is our priority. 
3. Finishing the game is our priority we'll decide on DLC later. Don't forget people got really upset when we did DLC for DiRT 3 because "it should have been in the main game"
4. Light pods will be attached based on conditions. 
5. No tyre wear. We want to do it but at the moment we can't do it properly and our stages aren't long enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
human1101 said:
@KickUpi dont supoose there is any chance you can show a render of a crosskart? id love to see how they look, and is there other cars other than the mini and the fulvia in the h1 fwd class?

No render but it looks like these: http://www.crosskart.fi/ 

cant confirm cars in H1 yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Could everyone please rate this post as awesome so i can overtake @Porkhammer on the points scoring leaderboard. I've got to be in front on him at something codemasters related  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×