DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Could everyone please rate this post as awesome so i can overtake @Porkhammer on the points scoring leaderboard. I've got to be in front on him at something codemasters related  :D
LOL #MultipleReactionsOnTheCodemastersForums

789ifyz said:
Could everyone please rate this post as awesome so i can overtake @Porkhammer on the points scoring leaderboard. I've got to be in front on him at something codemasters related  :D
LOL #MultipleReactionsOnTheCodemastersForums
I'm expecting it to get flagged for abuse or spam  :D

I don't know of which leaderboard you speak, but I'll happily provide you with an awesome.

didnt colin mcrae have these carts.sure i seen a documentry with him driving one.at his house i think it was.

looks like its got somekind of bike engine in.great fun.

On a similar note can people stop postitively reacting to Paul's posts, im afraid he might knock me off the all time leaderboard

I don't know of which leaderboard you speak, but I'll happily provide you with an awesome.
I have returned the favour for being such a gentleman. 

P.S click activity on the left hand side of the page ;)

This week @KickUp  is the like the Sebastien Ogier of forum points, so far ahead no one could hope to reach him.

KickUp said:

3. Finishing the game is our priority we'll decide on DLC later. Don't forget people got really upset when we did DLC for DiRT 3 because "it should have been in the main game"
I think DLC itself wasn't the problem there. If I remember correctly the Monte Carlo DLC for DiRT 3 was a day-one DLC or at least very shortly after release. Something like that indicates that the developement was already pretty much done at the day of release, which is why people felt it should've been in the base game. 

DLC's are mostly not seen as "bad" by the customers, if it can been seen as commitment by the devs to further develop content for their game after release. It is only seen as bad practise if it can be assumed that most of it was developed already in parallel to the main release and then it's seen as grabbing more money. 

Additionally it lengthens the freshness of the game, if you have gaps between the DLC releases. 
Basically: Never do DLC's simultanously with the game release. And create most of it after actual release. 

So, good practise right now, with priority on the release first. Just wanted to mention that DLC in DiRT 3 wasn't the problem itself, but rather how and when it was done.

EDIT: because in DiRT 3 people felt either Monte should've been included or you could've released the base game earlier and then create monte.

EDIT 2: and be sure to put the Azores on your list for rally locations to consider as DLC! and Argentina.  

Darhour said:
tl;dr.... is this thread going to head over 1000 pages in a few months? lol

I wouldn't be surprised if that happens until the DiRT 4 release.

Exactly, people are tired of day 1 DLC that obviously could have been in the game.
DLC later on that has clearly been under development after the actual release, I don't think people mind them.

bogani said:
Exactly, people are tired of day 1 DLC that obviously could have been in the game.
DLC later on that has clearly been under development after the actual release, I don't think people mind them.

Agreed. Day 1 DLC, DLC that adds very little and DLC that only unlocks certain features and content that were already in the base game (and are often unlockable for free via a mod): those are the 3 types I take issue with.

Anything else that comes later and has enough content to justify the price is fine by me.

789ifyz said:
bogani said:

Agreed. Day 1 DLC, DLC that adds very little and DLC that only unlocks certain features and content that were already in the base game (and are often unlockable for free via a mod): those are the 3 types I take issue with.

Anything else that comes later and has enough content to justify the price is fine by me.
I'm actually ok with Day One DLC, but I agree with your others and will add one of my own pet hates: pay to win DLC. The guys who make Total War are bad for this one, until they patch stuff back to balance it after release (a minor blemish in some exceptional games).

Anything that adds depth works for me though, and I realise Day One stuff can be used to get extra funding to improve the base game sometimes.

Ooh, ooh, preorder exclusive DLC too, if they don't make it available to purchase to people who discover the game later...

@KickUp one comment concerning the soundtrack (and intro video) : get some baddass music to do something similar to what Infogrames and Eden Studios did with V-Rally 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-UsLem-OVw

KickUp said:
SamRWD said:
@KickUp

Hi!
1 Could you please confirm or deny that Your Stage generated stages max length is 13 km? If so, any chances for that to be increased in the future, or is it an engine limit and is unlikely to get improved in D4?

2 I know Codemasters decided to keep the same policy toward modding as in Dirt Rally, but do you think it would be possible in the future to get any kind of SDK, or at least some kind of documentation to actually help community modding the game (even if for SP use only)?

3 Are there any DLCs planned?

4 In car tuning menu will we be abble to attach/ remove extra lights etc, or are they automatically added (for example extra lights for night stages)?

5 Will tire wear be present (I mean simulating tire conservation, not simply modeling flat tires)

Thank you!

1. 13 km at the moment
2. Maybe but finishing the game is our priority. 
3. Finishing the game is our priority we'll decide on DLC later. Don't forget people got really upset when we did DLC for DiRT 3 because "it should have been in the main game"
4. Light pods will be attached based on conditions. 
5. No tyre wear. We want to do it but at the moment we can't do it properly and our stages aren't long enough. 
@kickup Don't listen to the whining petulant children when it comes to dlc. Anyone with half a brain realizes that the licensing costs money and design takes time and effort. As long as the price isn't outrageous and it's some decent new cars or new locations for my stage I bet people would be down for it. If they rather have no extra content so be it but plenty of us will probably be playing this game for years to come so extra cars and more environments for my stage would be icing on the cake for long term replay ability. Maybe don't release it for half a year so the naysayers can't just say "it was released so close to the game release, you guys just cut it from the game to sell as dlc!" As long as it's quality I would think it would appeal to a good chunk of the fan base.

dgeesi0 said:
didnt colin mcrae have these carts.sure i seen a documentry with him driving one.at his house i think it was.

I actually just watched that documentary. He was testing a prototype. I don't remember who made it though.

talking about colin macrae makes me wonder if we will see the colin macrae r4, it would be great if we do as that thing was fun as hell

Scyy said:
dgeesi0 said:

I actually just watched that documentary. He was testing a prototype. I don't remember who made it though.
Colin had a Rage buggy. They use them in British Rallycross.