DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

F2CMaDMaXX said:
The fine edge they're having to play here, is to not label the other player as less than normal for choosing one over the other.
Which is exactly why calling physics mode "Gamer" is not the smartest thing to do... to say the least. Call it what it is, not who you think is going to use it. I mean depending on who'll be reading it, they can interpret it as "easier", "harder", "exactly the same", "**** does it even mean?" and so on and so forth. As many interpretations of that as there are actual gamers out there.
Shhh...

Working overtime I see? Not that I mind of course. Because I have a question.

Is the livery editor open to all cars or is it restricted to just some cars? 

If someone is given two choices, one of which is called "simulation," I think they'll probably infer from context what the other one means, whether it's called "gamer" or "casual" or "assisted" or whatever. If they are REALLY not sure, they can read the descriptions.

Back on topic:
@KickUp As you may recall, one of the voice nicknames in Dirt 2 was "Fuzzynuts." The Fuzzynuts option was disappointingly absent from future Dirt games. Will this crucially important feature be making a return in Dirt 4?

A Gamer is a person who plays games. A Sim Racing player is a Gamer but hell no, if they want to be called Gamer :p

Imo, the best choices would be " Normal " and " Simulation ", exactly how they had in the Event.

There's a lot of Elitism, in the Racing Community so, you need to be careful to not " upset " anyone, and/or give reasons to one or another ( Casual/Console and PC/Sim Players ) to make fun, from each other.

Different times, but even GTR 2 had " Normal " and " Simulation ", 11 years ago...

It's on most cars but some manufacturers don't allow  it. 

BadD0g said:
If someone is given two choices, one of which is called "simulation," I think they'll probably infer from context what the other one means, whether it's called "gamer" or "casual" or "assisted" or whatever. If they are REALLY not sure, they can read the descriptions.

Back on topic:
@KickUp As you may recall, one of the voice nicknames in Dirt 2 was "Fuzzynuts." The Fuzzynuts option was disappointingly absent from future Dirt games. Will this crucially important feature be making a return in Dirt 4?

Sadly Fuzzynuts is a thing of the past. 

KickUp said:
He was trimmed, by the guy that grooms Pauls beard

Everything is contextual, you called it the labelling of the physics mode. 
That's incorrect, it's the labeling of the handling mode, you have to remove what you know about the game or what you think it means.

When you approach this as a new user who has played a racing game before, if you're asked about the handling mode and given a choice of 'gamer' or 'simulation' then, in English, you're going to know what is being asked.

KickUp said:

BadD0g said:

Back on topic:

R.I.P. Fuzzynuts
2009-2011

BadD0g said:
KickUp said:

BadD0g said:

Back on topic:

R.I.P. Fuzzynuts
2009-2011
Sadly he and Jonas Andromeda were involved in a tragic accident. 

KickUp said:

So, does this mean not all cars will have branded liveries created by you? You know, the default ones for Freeplay.

KickUp said:

So, does this mean not all cars will have branded liveries created by you? You know, the default ones for Freeplay.
The ones that don't allow the livery editor also won't allow us to put non licensed liveries on them. 

simulated and non simulated I know that would'nt offend me, but none of the terms that have been mentioned would.

Paul is right that their research showed to use gamer and simulation, think about it.

You have to look at it from being each side, if you're a simmer, then you will see the other option as being casual.

If you're the other side, then you will not want to be classed as casual and you'll see the other side as simulation.

Gamer is a standard tag it's normal and infers what is nominal out there.

Simulation is just that.
Just imagine a guy that bought DiRT 4 to have a good time playing a Racing game on his PS4, is he a gamer? No, he is a casual player. I think the word Casual involves the Gamer that doesn't know **** is a Scandinavian flick, and the guy that just want to drive cool cars through tricky roads with his controller without dying in the attempt 
A gamer is someone who plays games, of course this player is a gamer.

You're thinking about what *kind* of gamer the player is.  Don't think too hard about this.

The fine edge they're having to play here, is to not label the other player as less than normal for choosing one over the other.
Here we're in 2017, when everything a decade back would be call easy, medium, hard. gooooosh. 

versedi said:
Paul is right that their research showed to use gamer and simulation, think about it.

You have to look at it from being each side, if you're a simmer, then you will see the other option as being casual.

If you're the other side, then you will not want to be classed as casual and you'll see the other side as simulation.

Gamer is a standard tag it's normal and infers what is nominal out there.

Simulation is just that.
Just imagine a guy that bought DiRT 4 to have a good time playing a Racing game on his PS4, is he a gamer? No, he is a casual player. I think the word Casual involves the Gamer that doesn't know **** is a Scandinavian flick, and the guy that just want to drive cool cars through tricky roads with his controller without dying in the attempt 
A gamer is someone who plays games, of course this player is a gamer.

You're thinking about what *kind* of gamer the player is.  Don't think too hard about this.

Here we're in 2017, when everything a decade back would be call easy, medium, hard. gooooosh. 
That's the difficulty presets. That's the next choice  :D

KickUp said:
KickUp said:

The ones that don't allow the livery editor also won't allow us to put non licensed liveries on them. 
I see. Congratulations on getting Audi, Citroën and Hyundai and (possibly) Skoda, since those are the ones who complained about that on DiRT Rally :D.
P.S - I know Skoda wasn't in DiRT Rally but it is a part of the VW group which, if I recall correctly, also didn't let you have custom liveries ;) .

KickUp said:
I do find this odd though. Raceroom seems to have the same problem with Audi, having only 1 livery on the GTO and we we've seen that on some DiRT Rally cars as well. But at the same time iRacing and Forza Motorsport (among others) feature that same Audi GTO (and some other cars that give problems here) and you are completely free to paint all over them in those titles.

Is this just a case of putting more budget in the licensing (pay more so you are allowed to deviate from factory livery) or is there something else going on? @kick_up

Areyouben said:
KickUp said:
I do find this odd though. Raceroom seems to have the same problem with Audi, having only 1 livery on the GTO and we we've seen that on some DiRT Rally cars as well. But at the same time iRacing and Forza Motorsport (among others) feature that same Audi GTO (and some other cars that give problems here) and you are completely free to paint all over them in those titles.

Is this just a case of putting more budget in the licensing (pay more so you are allowed to deviate from factory livery) or is there something else going on? @kick_up
I can't speak for how they do their deals. All I know is that we have a stipulation in our contract and at no point did they suggest that more money would change the situation. 

@KickUp Once again, hats off to you sir for being here at such a late hour enduring our never-ending curiosity :).

Will you have at least one official livery per car?

P.S - How close was I with the detective work above ;)?

No one has mentioned Porsche yet :(

Not a huge Porsche fan, but, I would love to hear and rally one, especially after seeing them during the Monte WRC this year.

@KickUp Once again, hats off to you sir for being here at such a late hour enduring our never-ending curiosity :).

That's the plan but we are still in negotiation with some livery rights holders. 

P.S - Close-ish

KickUp said:

That's the plan but we are still in negotiation with some livery rights holders. 

P.S - Close-ish

I'm betting Audi (WRX) are still in negotiation and Hyundai.

I'm hoping we get off the topic of the useless argument about what to call the physics models. The "sim" snobs will still be snobs, and no one else will care. People don't get their feelings hurt over using a "Normal" or "casual" setting.
Hell, Wolfenstein had the dude wear a bonnet and a binkie on easy difficulty. No one cried about the unfairness of life.

JZStudios said:
I'm hoping we get off the topic of the useless argument about what to call the physics models. The "sim" snobs will still be snobs, and no one else will care. People don't get their feelings hurt over using a "Normal" or "casual" setting.
Hell, Wolfenstein had the dude wear a bonnet and a binkie on easy difficulty. No one cried about the unfairness of life.
We did, you brought it up again :D