DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Going to take a few years yet to get through the entire customer base at this rate ;).  Is this game really in such an early state, that they can't show anything........oh wait.  Would a few teaser screen-shots of a few cars on tracks really give anything away to the competition(?).
What makes you so sure we're not near the end?

Monday 23rd February

Breakfast
DiRT
Codies Canteen
DiRT
DiRTy Love

Usual rules apply, you'll need to make your own way here and will have to be OK signing an NDA. I'll try and get as many in as I can but spaces might be limited. Wait until I've confirmed the list before booking any time off work etc.

We love you guys, sorry 128 day wasn't what you wanted it to be <3
23rd Feb. huh. I'll probably have my own car by then. It'll be my first time on the motorway, but apart from that, the journey itself shouldn't be a problem.
Only problem is that I have Uni on Mondays. Unless that gets cancelled on that day for some reason, in which case I'll probably just be too lazy to travel.
But then the excitement of seeing the next game will get me all motivated and revving to go.
But then my dad probably won't let me go all the way down there just to check out a video game.
So in the end I'll  just wait here for more gossip and the eventual release.

In short, I'm itching to come over, but unfortunately I have other commitments that take priority, and even if they get cancelled, I probably won't be allowed ;(  . Still, judging by the comments of the guys who've been, it'll be well worth the wait...

stuff. excitement, can't wait, more generic comments.... *sigh*. really wish i could come over there.

Going to take a few years yet to get through the entire customer base at this rate ;).  Is this game really in such an early state, that they can't show anything........oh wait.  Would a few teaser screen-shots of a few cars on tracks really give anything away to the competition(?).
It would a little. For example if you can see your competitors capabilities then it can encourage you to up your game in terms of what you do with your product, provided the lead time is long enough. 

The new game engine is a big event for CM. First really new core technology in 10 years ? They are going to want to do a big release of it and make a big impact and have a game release close to it as well, so its hardly surprising that we won't get too much before then. 

@justbiglee, are you looking for rally experts this time or more a x section of the userbase ? I'm no huge rally fan, I just love playing the games. Controllers rather than wheels.

What makes you so sure we're not near the end?

If you are, then your marketing department want their heads looking at :)

Check out the @dirtgame getting sentimental:

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/560801910815748096

Is it a coincidence that August 2014 is specified? Could it be that '128' is indeed August 12th release date? :O 

dirt3joe said:
@justbiglee, are you looking for rally experts this time or more a x section of the userbase ? I'm no huge rally fan, I just love playing the games. Controllers rather than wheels.
Neither, somebody else is coming that day and I figured if a few more want to tag along you're more than welcome.

Is it a coincidence that August 2014 is specified? Could it be that '128' is indeed August 12th release date? :O 
I like the fact there are a lot of Subarus in that pic!  Here's to hoping the entire Colin McRae career cars will be included.  comments @tbtstt 

gfRally said:

I like the fact there are a lot of Subarus in that pic!  Here's to hoping the entire Colin McRae career cars will be included.  comments @tbtstt 

So do I! The S5 Impreza WRC has been absent from Codemasters rally games for too long!

Would love to do the open day again if there are spaces; I won't be able to commit until much nearer the time though, as I have no idea how busy work will be.

DiRT ✔ DiRT Game Design Team August 2014 #tbt #throwbackthursday
Looks like a kind of inspiration wall, where the team can post ideas in the form pictures or write it on post-its.

Also could be that they are discussing how the cover has to look like as you can also see the Dirt 1, 2, 3 posters.

The picture I really like is the Ford Focus on a Monte Carlo stage. Would be very cool to see all WRC cars that have ever competed. But that might be a lot of work with all the different specs and stuff. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Rally_Car

Put my name down please, If anyone could recommend somewhere reasonable (cheap :)) near by to stay?

tbtstt said:

So do I! The S5 Impreza WRC has been absent from Codemasters rally games for too long!

Would love to do the open day again if there are spaces; I won't be able to commit until much nearer the time though, as I have no idea how busy work will be.

What about Impreza 22B? That one was in DiRT3. Or is the S5 something completely different?

Didzis said:
tbtstt said:

What about Impreza 22B? That one was in DiRT3. Or is the S5 something completely different?
The S5 WRC hasn't been in our games since the early CMR titles. The 22b is essentially the road going version of that car and was in CMR2005 iirc. 
The Impreza in DiRT 3 was a WRX STi heavily based on Colin McRae's 1995 Championship Winning Group A Subaru Impreza 555. We couldn't license it as a 555 because of the cigarette brand it is named after and sadly we couldn't get the livery either. 

I agree the S5 WRC has been missing from our games for too long. It's on my shopping list but so are many others so we'll have to see whether it makes the cut or not. 

Didzis said:
tbtstt said:

I had a conversation with @gfRally about this in the "Next DiRT Game Wishlist" thread @Didzis . To save you looking for it (and because I can't seem to link to the individual post!), here is a bit of information on the 22B and the difference between it and the World Rally Cars:

Prodrive used a "S" number to designate the various generations of Impreza World Rally Car they built. The '97-'98 World Rally Car was the S4, the '99 World Rally Car was S5, the '00 World Rally Car was S6... you get the idea. (Prodrive also used a similar system for their Group N cars, except they are identified by an "N" prefix, not an "S"). The only exception to the rule is the 2007 Impreza WRC, which was identified as the S12b WRC (rather than S13 as you would expect). The Japanese are a superstitious bunch and so Prodrive avoided the number with their car designation! 

The 22B was a road car released in 1998 and designed to emulate the look of the 1997/1998 Impreza World Rally Car. The two door, wide arch, Impreza World Rally Cars were on stages for well over a year before the 22B hit showrooms and its name is actually homage to the rally car: "22B" is hexdecimal for "555".

There is a lot of confusion between the 22B and the World Rally Cars of the era. This is compounded by the fact that there are a huge number of online articles about the 22B that contain incorrect information.

Officially there were 424 22B's (400 for the JDM, 24 for export). Of the 24 export cars, 16 were for the UK, 5 for Australia and 3 were prototypes. As with a lot of Subaru limited edition runs though, some of the numbers are a little hazy. It was originally stated that there were three #000 prototype cars (which were given to Colin McRae, Nicky Grist and David Lapworth), however a #000 was recently identified in the STI Mitaka showroom, which implies there were four #000 cars (I have subsequently read that David Lapworth actually got #400, but that's not been verified).

The 22B came with a 2.2L engine: WRC regulations of the era limited cars to 2.0L so, by its very nature, the 22B couldn't be a rally car. Incidentally, although they look similar, the S4 WRC and 22B have different panels. If you look at the two side-by-side you can see it, it's most noticeable around the front end and rear arches.
KickUp said:
The S5 WRC hasn't been in our games since the early CMR titles. The 22b is essentially the road going version of that car and was in CMR2005 iirc. 
The Impreza in DiRT 3 was a WRX STi heavily based on Colin McRae's 1995 Championship Winning Group A Subaru Impreza 555. We couldn't license it as a 555 because of the cigarette brand it is named after and sadly we couldn't get the livery either. 

This is actually something I meant to ask you about when I was at Codemasters last year @KickUp . I can understand why you couldn't include the "555" livery given that it features a cigarette brand. SWRT had an alternate livery for the car of the era (I believe for the countries where they couldn't be seen to advertise a cigarette brand)...

...is that something that could (in theory) be included in a game? Or does the fact that this livery have connotations with a cigarette brand preclude it from inclusion? Basically the fact that the Group A Impreza wasn't available in blue with gold wheels was one of my major gripes with DiRT 3 (especially as the rest of the Group A cars looked awesome in period liveries), I hope that's something you can rectify in the next game, even if we just end up with a plain blue Group A car!

KickUp said:

I agree the S5 WRC has been missing from our games for too long. It's on my shopping list but so are many others so we'll have to see whether it makes the cut or not. 
Glad to hear its on the shortlist, I've got my fingers crossed!

KickUp said:
Didzis said:
tbtstt said:

What we need in the next DiRT is a proper livery editor.  I'll should post this in the Wishlist thread, but this doesn't get better (although easier on a pc just import a jpg or png file.

Here:

http://youtu.be/W5q5h_34V_M

Insaine!

You guys license what you can, well take care of the rest :)

KickUp said:
We couldn't license it as a 555 because of the cigarette brand it is named after and sadly we couldn't get the livery either. 
That's why I prefer livery editors to licensed content.
We can make anything we want for free, under fair use laws, where the developers have to pay for it.
It just doesn't make sense to me for the devs to pay anyone and everyone for what could be freely distributed after launch.

ARCNoOne said:
KickUp said:
We couldn't license it as a 555 because of the cigarette brand it is named after and sadly we couldn't get the livery either. 
That's why I prefer livery editors to licensed content.
We can make anything we want for free, under fair use laws, where the developers have to pay for it.
It just doesn't make sense to me for the devs to pay anyone and everyone for what could be freely distributed after launch.
While I see your point. You can't just exclude iconic liveries especially from a rally game and expect users to seek out content that should of been included. I'm not sure what platform your on, but on PC you have access to hundreds of liveries for the DiRT Games including the 555 livery. Creating a user friendly 3D painting program is not an easy task and would require many resources. Even if one was included, rally liveries are covered in brands and so the user would have to create each individual logo from scratch. Therefore creating a quality livery would be a massive task without a fully featured paint program such as Photoshop. All I'm saying is, if  you believe liveries are important to your experience. Buy the game on PC. 

Plus it could cause license issues, I can imagine that not every car manufacturer would be happy with people being able to put 'anything' on their cars. Because of imagine it wouldn't be long before a 10 year old finds it funny to do something innapropriate on a car

Maybe you guys could make an announcement about when there might be some kind of announcement? A pre-announcement announcement. Sort of...something to look forward to.

tbtstt said:
gfRally said:

What about the 22B Impreza? That was in DiRT3 as free DLC. Or is the S5 something completely different?

You can't just exclude iconic liveries especially from a rally game and expect users to seek out content that should of been included...

Creating a user friendly 3D painting program is not an easy task and would require many resources.

Even if one was included, rally liveries are covered in brands and so the user would have to create each individual logo from scratch. Therefore creating a quality livery would be a massive task without a fully featured paint program such as Photoshop.
They are already excluding iconic liveries for a variety of other reasons.

The money spent on a livery editor would be invested in a tangible asset, owned by the company, and available for use in any other game in which they might choose to use it.
To me, that money would be much better spent than money invested in throwaway content, that is only usable in a single game.

With a storefront system, like Forza 4's, logos are a search and download away, as are entire liveries.
There's no "massive task" involved.
You don't even need to have the slightest amount of artistic skill.
If you can perform a search, hit "change livery" and "load" from the pull-down menus, you're set.

I'd imagine it would need constant policing though, which isn't that cheap. It's a nice idea, and I would like it, it's just not always possible. I'd rather have some more awesome stages and cars than a livery editor to be honest

I'd imagine it would need constant policing though, which isn't that cheap. It's a nice idea, and I would like it, it's just not always possible. I'd rather have some more awesome stages and cars than a livery editor to be honest
What if they just ported over GRIDautosport livery editor, tweeked a bit for Rally?  Since its EGO engine based, it is mostly there already.  

Didzis said:
tbtstt said:
gfRally said:

What about the 22B Impreza? That was in DiRT3 as free DLC. Or is the S5 something completely different?
The 22B was the road version of the WRC Subaru.

Hey guys,

What kind of stats would you want to be able to see from your game on the new shiny website I'm having built. I've got a list but want to make sure I've not missed anything off.