DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

bogani said:
Snaky115 said:
I have an amusing one for you - The least complicated manufacturer to licence? @kickup :P Probably not allowed to say. :D
I'm guessing Subaru.
Na-ah. Since there is no S3/S4/S5 Impreza WRC I call Subaru douchebags in licensing. The most iconic WRC car is nowhere to be seen :(
Something tells me I can guess the era when you grew up...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these were the cars that got annually trounced* by various iterations of Mitsubishi in the late 2000s? The first two WRC championship winning cars are in game (DR anyway), can't ask for more than that IMO.

*OK, narrowly beaten by Makinen genius in the driver's champ

Apart from the Ford, since their badge is visible on the splash screen. :D Probably didn't come easy, but they did give a lot.

Curious info by KingOfCoins. Suppose BMW could be 'easier' since there aren't many noteworthy rally cars by them.

bogani said:
Snaky115 said:
I have an amusing one for you - The least complicated manufacturer to licence? @kickup :P Probably not allowed to say. :D
I'm guessing Subaru.
Na-ah. Since there is no S3/S4/S5 Impreza WRC I call Subaru douchebags in licensing. The most iconic WRC car is nowhere to be seen :(

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these were the cars that got annually trounced* by various iterations of Mitsubishi in the late 2000s? The first two WRC championship winning cars are in game (DR anyway), can't ask for more than that IMO.

Yes you can. Note that I said WRC car ;)

@KickUp are u allowed to tell which cars u wanted to add in D4 but are 100% out of the question because u couldn't get the licence?

bogani said:
bogani said:
Snaky115 said:
I'm guessing Subaru.

Yes you can. Note that I said WRC car ;)
Ha, shows my age that WRC means the championship rather than the car and I think of the class as A8. Probably only a few years apart, mind you, but I remember the noise of the 555s in my childhood memories!

Snaky115 said:
Curious info by KingOfCoins. Suppose BMW could be 'easier' since there aren't many noteworthy rally cars by them.

The BMW could have been accessible through a Prodrive relationship?

I am hopeful that that is the case....

They are responsible for the M3, 6R4, Impreza's and Mini WRC's that currently feature

Because they are also responsible for the Rothmans 911....

sqdstr said:
@KickUp are u allowed to tell which cars u wanted to add in D4 but are 100% out of the question because u couldn't get the licence?
No, it may affect our chances of signing them in future.

KevM said:
Snaky115 said:

The BMW could have been accessible through a Prodrive relationship?

I am hopeful that that is the case....

They are responsible for the M3, 6R4, Impreza's and Mini WRC's that currently feature

Because they are also responsible for the Rothmans 911....
These relationships are more complex than you can imagine. I wish it was a simple as some of these scenarios you are suggesting but it really is not.

Out of interest, what happened to the McRae R4? Who would this be licenced from if it was wanted for the game? Has anyone actually heard of these being run since his death? Wiki says they're still being produced, not sure how accurate that is though.

Why is everyone hammering on and on about the licenses, it's complicated business that can't be talked about because it are private agreements between Codemasters and the manufacturers.
We'll just have to wait and see what will be announced on (or before) June 6th.

zoliRX said:
Man, I can just imagine all this licensing BS being an absolute drainer. Just reading about it is soul-crushing.
Licensing is a cancer for racing games development and future sales.

Why is everyone hammering on and on about the licenses, it's complicated business that can't be talked about because it are private agreements between Codemasters and the manufacturers.
+1

Debating what we'd like to see is fair, but asking Paul for comment isn't.

Totally agree with Devin! I think @KickUp and the team is already giving us so much information and details! Thank you for thats Codies! but most of all that u listen to our feedback!!

Just keep it nice and steady, in other words support the team instead of trying to squeeze all the information out of them,... and it wont help the end result ( the game) getting better at all,.... ;-)

I feel like the trucks and buggies could use the same body shell but have different engines for different performance classes. given that they don't seem to be anything specific it doesn't seem like it should affect licensing.

Yeah, it is unfair admittedly, but goddamn if it doesn't make me extremely curious. You aren't even allowed to say what cars won't be in the game now because it may affect future chances, which i find crazy.  The Livery restrictions also drive me nuts.

I will, however, echo the question about the McRae R4 that was seen before - what happened with that? Is it DJM with the licence or someone else?

It never really got manufactured as far as i understand, so that's another interesting "what if".

I think we can be confident that Codies will license every car that makes sense for variety and budget.   We have to remind ourselves (me included) that DiRT is very different from games like Forza,   Cars in any of the Dirt games, get just about destroyed, parts have to fly off and crunch up.  That is not a typical scenario that a manufacturer wants to show off thier brand, like they do in other games.  Im sure its an uphill battle and Codies is pretty uncompromising when it comes to cars getting banged up.  So kudos to everyone involved getting what we have.  

Snaky115 said:
Yeah, it is unfair admittedly, but goddamn if it doesn't make me extremely curious. You aren't even allowed to say what cars won't be in the game now because it may affect future chances, which i find crazy.  The Livery restrictions also drive me nuts.

I will, however, echo the question about the McRae R4 that was seen before - what happened with that? Is it DJM with the licence or someone else?

It never really got manufactured as far as i understand, so that's another interesting "what if".
I did a bit of research after I asked and it looks like DJM would most likely hold the licence as they make a circuit version of the car as well (and are selling one currently on their website) but this might also be shared with the McRae estate, Alison McRae will have the say I imagine.

Out of interest, what happened to the McRae R4? Who would this be licenced from if it was wanted for the game? Has anyone actually heard of these being run since his death? Wiki says they're still being produced, not sure how accurate that is though.
I always hoped the R4 project would carry on after McRae passed away but, sadly, it never happened. Shame, as I can think of no better tribute then seeing his "own" car on stage. As far as I'm aware only one car was ever finished (R400 CMR). I saw the car running at Goodwood in '07, then again (on static display) at numerous car shows in the months after his death. I daresay it was an acquired taste, but I thought it looked brilliant. 

In terms of licensing I assume it would be from the McRae family themselves. The car was SVA'd as a McRae R4, so "he" was the manufacturer. Perhaps DJM retained the rights to the design though. 

NB: Very loose connection to DiRT 4, but I recall there being talk that Petter Solberg had his name attached to the first customer car. 

gfRally said:
I think we can be confident that Codies will license every car that makes sense for variety and budget.   We have to remind ourselves (me included) that DiRT is very different from games like Forza,   Cars in any of the Dirt games, get just about destroyed, parts have to fly off and crunch up.  That is not a typical scenario that a manufacturer wants to show off thier brand, like they do in other games.  Im sure its an uphill battle and Codies is pretty uncompromising when it comes to cars getting banged up.  So kudos to everyone involved getting what we have.  
I thought the "manufacturers don't want their cars smashed" was a myth without substance?

I believe only one R4 was build, but more cars in the form in Dakar trim have seen some light. I never really understood if that project had anything to do with the original development of the R4 (I think Colin's brother Alister was behind the Dakar project), but there were some McRae R4 looking 4x4 Dakar buggy's driving around a few years back: http://www.mcrae-enduro.com/4x4.html