DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

bogani said:
gfRally said:
I think we can be confident that Codies will license every car that makes sense for variety and budget.   We have to remind ourselves (me included) that DiRT is very different from games like Forza,   Cars in any of the Dirt games, get just about destroyed, parts have to fly off and crunch up.  That is not a typical scenario that a manufacturer wants to show off thier brand, like they do in other games.  Im sure its an uphill battle and Codies is pretty uncompromising when it comes to cars getting banged up.  So kudos to everyone involved getting what we have.  
I thought the "manufacturers don't want their cars smashed" was a myth without substance?
They are becoming increasingly protective of their products.

tbtstt said:
Out of interest, what happened to the McRae R4? Who would this be licenced from if it was wanted for the game? Has anyone actually heard of these being run since his death? Wiki says they're still being produced, not sure how accurate that is though.
I always hoped the R4 project would carry on after McRae passed away but, sadly, it never happened. Shame, as I can think of no better tribute then seeing his "own" car on stage. As far as I'm aware only one car was ever finished (R400 CMR). I saw the car running at Goodwood in '07, then again (on static display) at numerous car shows in the months after his death. I daresay it was an acquired taste, but I thought it looked brilliant. 

In terms of licensing I assume it would be from the McRae family themselves. The car was SVA'd as a McRae R4, so "he" was the manufacturer. Perhaps DJM retained the rights to the design though. 

NB: Very loose connection to DiRT 4, but I recall there being talk that Petter Solberg had his name attached to the first customer car. 
I liked the front, not the back but would love to drive it in a sim setting as it looks like a lot of fun. Yeah I read that on DJM's site, they have a nice page on the development of the car but nothing much on the future of the car

Areyouben said:
I believe only one R4 was build, but more cars in the form in Dakar trim have seen some light. I never really understood if that project had anything to do with the original development of the R4 (Dakar McRae project was Dutch I think), but there were some McRae R4 looking 4x4 Dakar buggy's driving around a few years back: http://www.mcrae-enduro.com/4x4.html
The McRae Enduro project was completely separate to the McRae R4, there was a different engineering team behind the cars. The Enduro was associated with Alastair, not Colin, McRae. 

Areyouben said:
I believe only one R4 was build, but more cars in the form in Dakar trim have seen some light. I never really understood if that project had anything to do with the original development of the R4 (I think Colin's brother Alister was behind the Dakar project), but there were some McRae R4 looking 4x4 Dakar buggy's driving around a few years back: http://www.mcrae-enduro.com/4x4.html
I've seen those, never actually put two and two together it was an R4 or based off one!

Getting Porsche onboard, with the 911, would add tons of value to D4, and DiRT Franchise.

Just inagine the Community, and Racing News websites reaction, with Codies saying " We will have a Porsche in D4 "... Till Porsche isn't a common thing, in games, having them onboard, can potencialy make more sales, even more because no one has, or will have ( i think ), a Porsche Rally car.

Altough, i would like to have an Impreza S4 / S5 WRC, much more, than the 911 :D  

The 911 would be ultra-difficult as it was ALWAYS known as a Rothmans car, and thats a livery that wont be allowed in the game.  

My guess is that Paul wouldn't attempt to chase the 911 unless he could have it 100% accurate 

I would rather they not pursue Porsche for the game. As successful as Porsche is in motorsport, they are remembered by they prowess on track rather than on stage. Porsches were, for the most part, only competitive on tarmac and, today, they struggle to keep up with R5s even on perfectly dry and smooth asphalt, nevermind if some slippery conditions are added.

I would rather they not pursue Porsche for the game. As successful as Porsche is in motorsport, they are remembered by they prowess on track rather than on stage. Porsches were, for the most part, only competitive on tarmac and, today, they struggle to keep up with R5s even on perfectly dry and smooth asphalt, nevermind if some slippery conditions are added.
I agree. With an unlimited budget and development resources it would be great for CM to be able to chase down and model every last rare and unusual rally car for the game but, as an unlimited budget and resources are not available, I would prefer to see them concentrate on the "common" cars first.

I prefer soooo much cars than Porsche's and all their licensing troubles. I prefer 10000000x times a WRC 2017 than anyone Porsche (And I think it Will be cheap for Codemasters), why dont we have the Polo WRC '17 , the Polo doesnt compete in WRC hehe :D

I prefer soooo much cars than Porsche's and all their licensing troubles. I prefer 10000000x times a WRC 2017 than anyone Porsche (And I think it Will be cheap for Codemasters), why dont se hace the Polo WRC '17 , the Polo doesnt compete in WRC hehe :D
actually you're right  B)

@KickUp 

Is there any graphical upgrades compare to Dirt Rally. Some new technology?

Very significant in Porsche's AWD development for thier street cars, not the best competitor but it made its mark. 

d1ea said:
@KickUp 

Our lighting tech has been significantly improved.

Different Porsche fella, I'm talking the 1984 Rothmans Al Hajri/Coleman vintage, not that modern RGT WRC kack -  ;)

Call yerself a rally fan????   :p

@KickUp Has the sound on the GroupN/R4 Evo X been updated? It didn't sound very much like the real one in DiRT Rally. Also, when you record sounds, do you source them from cars in Great Britain?

KevM said:
Different Porsche fella, I'm talking the 1984 Rothmans Al Hajri/Coleman vintage, not that modern RGT WRC kack -  ;)

Call yerself a rally fan????   :p

I'm talking 1978 911 SC, winner of Monte Carlo and runner up in the Safari. Pfft, Rothmans... proper rallying Porsches smoke Gitanes!

Call yourself a rally fan???   ;)

On a serious note, none of us know what Porsche ask for, whether they're interested in rally games or how they like to promote themselves. They're only recently back on the market (as far as I can tell, just in Asset to Corsa and iRacing thus far, but Forza and PCARS seem to have a deal already too).

I certainly hold them in high esteem in rallying. They have a heritage many manufacturers would be proud of. Yes, a lot of that is focused on tarmac (Monte, Corsica) and the Safari (different to the rallying in game), but few historic championships I see don't have a 911 present (thanks Tuthill!).

KickUp said:
d1ea said:
@KickUp 

Our lighting tech has been significantly improved.
Ha, not even sure how, but certainly looking forward to finding out more; the night clip in the trailer left me salivating.

Good News!  :)
I've entered my first rally of 2017!

Bad News  :'(
@KickUp won't be sat next to me, as he will be away on business. We will be back together soon enough though :D

Good News!  :) på 

@KickUp won't be sat next to me, as he will be away on business. We will be back together soon enough though :D
Did he say what business? ;) ;)

bogani said:

Yes but it's not my place to say what it is or where.

bogani said:

Fuzzynuts is available now, maybe hire him..   #fuzzynutsismycopilot 

bogani said:

It's New Zealand isn't it. It's ok, you can tell us. 

Honestly, a reasonable sum of cars would be more appreciated than getting a huge list of cars that demand humiliation to get them within so the way rallying should be considered is to be more enticing to take each car on track with different setups and to spend more hours on mastering them.