DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

KickUp said:
Benniz said:
This might have been asked before @KickUp - but when using Your Stage, is there an option to recce the stage before you do your high speed run? I would like this feature, where the game limits you to max 80 km/h (WRC speed limit on recce if I'm not wrong?) with a typical recce car.
We won't be doing recces or having recce cars in DiRT 4. I think in future if we can get a more adjustable co driver system beyond the Early <-> Later adjustment we have now then a recce would be a useful tool for some people.
Recce would definitely be useful for creating custom pacenotes using this TOOL.
I believe that Your Stage pacenotes system requires re-using sound samples so implementing similar tool directly in DiRT4 or in future titles shouldn't be a problem., right? ;)

Fair enough, don't know what the rule is for private roads though, most if not all the rally gb roads are private forest roads which don't have official speed limits

And we have our first DLC car xD 

• Body is 7 characters too short. WRONG... actually the car looks to big!
The render looks pretty good! Great news to have Prodrive involved with rallycross again, I have high hopes they can produce a decent car. Chicherit as the lead driver though? Not that encouraging, hopefully they can find someone with a bit more experience for the second car. 

Look forward to seeing the car debut in Loheac! 

KevM said:
KickUp said:
We won't be doing recces or having recce cars in DiRT 4. I think in future if we can get a more adjustable co driver system beyond the Early <-> Later adjustment we have now then a recce would be a useful tool for some people.
Could 'recce' be done by way of an optional simplified CREST animation to give an idea of the severity of the generated corners?  Be handy for setting suspension, gearbox and diffs etc

Will CREST even continue to work with Your Stage?
CREST will continue to work but not for recces

@KickUp How long would a stage be if it were possible to connect all unique tiles for a country?

Good question - I don't know

If all game developers were as open and honest as you @KickUp the world would be a much better place.

Yup. This is by far the nicest developers and the healthiest community I've taken part in. It's a pleasure :)

Fair enough, don't know what the rule is for private roads though, most if not all the rally gb roads are private forest roads which don't have official speed limits
I found this explanation at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/annex-4-the-road-user-and-the-law

"Most of the provisions apply on all roads throughout Great Britain, although there are some exceptions. The definition of a road in England and Wales is ‘any highway and any other road to which the public has access and includes bridges over which a road passes’ (RTA 1988 sect 192(1)). In Scotland, there is a similar definition which is extended to include any way over which the public have a right of passage (R(S)A 1984 sect 151(1)).

It is important to note that references to ‘road’ therefore generally include footpaths, bridleways and cycle tracks, and many roadways and driveways on private land (including many car parks). In most cases, the law will apply to them and there may be additional rules for particular paths or ways. Some serious driving offences, including drink-driving offences, also apply to all public places, for example public car parks."

I can't remember the exact figure from Rally Australia last year, but I think the WRC standard for roads which are not otherwise limited (e.g. forestry roads or private roads) is 80 km/h max. That limit can always be changed by the individual event's Clerk of Course, especially on safety grounds.

After 3 collisions with the public during recce in 2015, I'm pretty sure the maximum speed limit on the Rally Australia forest stages was set by the CoC at 60 km/h for 2016. My memory is hazy because they had enough volunteers so I ended up not needing to go out on recce supervision.

zoliRX said:
Man, I can just imagine all this licensing BS being an absolute drainer. Just reading about it is soul-crushing.
Licensing is a cancer for racing games development and future sales.
Yup

Honestly, at this point, we should just cross our fingers and hope all goes well with the licensing.
I'd say it kinda hasn't already, and I know a few who would agree.

EDDSkitz said:
zoliRX said:
Man, I can just imagine all this licensing BS being an absolute drainer. Just reading about it is soul-crushing.
Yup

Honestly, at this point, we should just cross our fingers and hope all goes well with the licensing.
How has it not already? They can only do so much, its down to the manfacturers and licence holders to give the final say. Not going well would be to have like 10 cars but we are getting 50+.

EDDSkitz said:
zoliRX said:
Yup

How has it not already? They can only do so much, its down to the manfacturers and licence holders to give the final say. Not going well would be to have like 10 cars but we are getting 50+.
That's my point, the manufacturers have already screwed it up... and while I know it's not CM fault, nobody is standing up and saying enough is enough.

And God forbid any of you actually vote with your wallet.

Edit: I was mainly referring to the content that already exists that would take either little or minimal work to add intent he game, that can't because some fat cat billionaire said so... 

EDDSkitz said:
EDDSkitz said:
zoliRX said:
Yup

That's my point, the manufacturers have already screwed it up... and while I know it's not CM fault, nobody is standing up and saying enough is enough.

Edit: I was mainly referring to the content that already exists that would take either little or minimal work to add intent he game, that can't because some fat cat billionaire said so... 
But what would standing up and saying that change? Its more likely to piss them off, while we think it should be a no-brainer for cars to get added to make manufacturers look good, there is obviously more to that that we don't see and its unfortunate. I personally can't see why they wouldn't want them in the game, most likely for damage related purposes. I wouldn't put off buying this game because one or two cars I wanted in the game aren't in it. 

I agree though, licencing is a painful process and I imagine some people in CM have thought "Why can't we just get the design team to make their own cars instead of putting blood, sweat and tears into trying to licence real ones?" It adds to the authenticity, fictional tracks I don't mind but fictional cars aren't anyway near as appealing. I wish we could have any car CM desired, it would be amazing. 

When the Hype-train goes round in circles....

Good News!  :)
I've entered my first rally of 2017!

Bad News  :'(
@KickUp won't be sat next to me, as he will be away on business. We will be back together soon enough though :D

Next time you see him, can you ask him about that fuzzynuts stuff ?

I would rather they not pursue Porsche for the game. As successful as Porsche is in motorsport, they are remembered by they prowess on track rather than on stage. Porsches were, for the most part, only competitive on tarmac and, today, they struggle to keep up with R5s even on perfectly dry and smooth asphalt, nevermind if some slippery conditions are added.

I only brought Porsche brand to the discussion from a business point of view, and what the Brand can ( potencialy ) bring to D4, and DiRT Franchise, being more value/prestigious and Sales, but i agree with you.

Porsche isn't exactly well know by Rally, but by Circuit Racing. If you ask me if i'd like to have a 911 in D4, my answer would be yes, but much more important than Porsche, it's Toyota, and what represents to Rally History... and it's missing. Toyota is the Brand i'd go after.

By the way, @KickUp, is it possible to have a Renault 5 Maxi Turbo, instead of the Renault 5 Turbo?

EDDSkitz said:
I can promise you I won't be buying any Porsches this year.
https://youtu.be/5ddnwyyGo4s

The DiRTYGossipers Blues

Jepsertti said:

I'm even more sad than you. @KickUp never accepted my Friends Request, on Steam :'(

Jepsertti said:

He deserves it tho.

Edit: Paul, to play the game, I mean.

Jepsertti said:

Trollin' like a baws!