DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

@KickUp

Hello, very excited for new dirt game

I see that Hill Climb won't make an appearance, but will head 2 head return to the game? (sorry if it's been asked before)
And with the rally stages, will surfaces be mixed in the one stage or it will be constantly just be the 1, like for example one section of the stage is gravel and towards the end it's asphalt?

Thanks in advance 

The morning the team were about to sign a deal with Toyota, Paul broke a mirror at home, walked under a ladder whilst on his way to the office and just as he was about to get inside, he stepped on a black cat. That day will haunt him forever. He should've known better.
Nah, I'm guessing the sign for the Toyota HQ was printed in really small Times New Roman, and when he squinted Akio took it as an offense.

if i was a car manufacturer i would want my cars in as many realestic games as possible, i dont understand why they would want to make it more difficult, specially when it makes up a good chunk of their advertising

If I was a game manufacturer I wouldn't license a single thing, because it is the worst thing to ever happen to driving games, ever. I would focus on creating a high fidelity simulation platform that allows user to create whatever they wanted, and thus transfer the liability of copyright violation to said user.

But then again, that's why I am an engineer and not a marketeer.

If I was a trillionaire I would pay all legal expenses resulting from paying Codies to put in any car I like.

KickUp said:
Evilsmurf said:

@KickUp

I know it's not possible to get the WRC licenced cars into DiRT4, but were do VW stand?

Their not in the WRC anymore and as far as I know, the 2017 Polo isn't even eligible for the new WRC season as they didn't manage to get it homologated. So does it still fall under the WRC licence? If not, would VW entertain the idea of you licencing the new 2017 Polo for DiRT4? :)

Would be awesome to have one of the new cars in DiRT4!

Sorry if this question has already been asked and answered.

It's a fair point and I'll be honest and say that we haven't asked VW about it as at the time we were making our car list it was still very much in the WRC. 
There's an idea for DLC! Seb Loeb Rally Evo did a DLC pack of never raced cars ;-)

enamel said:
If I was a game manufacturer I wouldn't license a single thing, because it is the worst thing to ever happen to driving games, ever. I would focus on creating a high fidelity simulation platform that allows user to create whatever they wanted, and thus transfer the liability of copyright violation to said user.

Ask the guys who made rFactor2 how that turned out for them ;)

(actually, not badly, but not great in the consumer market)

RodgerDavies said:

Ask the guys who made Grand Theft Auto how that turned out for them ;)

KevM said:
RodgerDavies said:

Ask the guys who made Grand Theft Auto how that turned out for them ;)
Touché sir, touché

KickUp said:
Evilsmurf said:

@KickUp

I know it's not possible to get the WRC licenced cars into DiRT4, but were do VW stand?

Their not in the WRC anymore and as far as I know, the 2017 Polo isn't even eligible for the new WRC season as they didn't manage to get it homologated. So does it still fall under the WRC licence? If not, would VW entertain the idea of you licencing the new 2017 Polo for DiRT4? :)

Would be awesome to have one of the new cars in DiRT4!

Sorry if this question has already been asked and answered.

It's a fair point and I'll be honest and say that we haven't asked VW about it as at the time we were making our car list it was still very much in the WRC. 
There's an idea for DLC! Seb Loeb Rally Evo did a DLC pack of never raced cars ;-)
Would much rather have cars that did rally if I had to make the choice, to be honest. That said, I'm finding the VW sponsorship all over Rally Sweden to be quite amusing, clearly they'd signed up to that before VW pulled the plug. Hope the organisers find a replacement for next year's.

enamel said:

https://youtu.be/RAY27NU1Jog

Do you guys remember Xpand Rally? It didn't have any licensed cars, the game wasn't bad by any means but the lack of real cars made it feel a little flat. I'd bet that's one of the reasons it's been lost to history.

The morning the team were about to sign a deal with Toyota, Paul broke a mirror at home, walked under a ladder whilst on his way to the office and just as he was about to get inside, he stepped on a black cat. That day will haunt him forever. He should've known better.
Nah, I'm guessing the sign for the Toyota HQ was printed in really small Times New Roman, and when he squinted Akio took it as an offense.
You mean in Comic sans MS ?

Dytut said:
I was watching some onboards from this years Rally Sweden and I'm now so hyped to get to face the unknown tracks of Your Stage. 
Same here.  This game has definitely lost a little something now that I've learned almost all the tricky areas.(Still love it though) I'm going to be really sad if they don't bring VR to dirt 4 though.  Even after just using it for a day I can't see myself ever going back to my monitor.

I know it's still niche CM but you guys have a jewel on your hands with this in VR. Don't just throw it away.

I'm sure it probably will somewhere down the line, even if it's after release like dirt rally. Enough people seem to be asking for it, and they released it for dirt rally which had a much smaller budget! You just might not here anything about it for a little while!

@KickUp

Not sure if this was asked already... The cars will have any kind of upgrades, in D4?

I found a bit silly, how the car upgrades worked in DR ( very Arcade ), apart of being a grind ( drive X Kilometers, unlock Y ). 

It's probably, more complicated to simulate, and get it right, but i'd like to see a system where we upgrade/buy better Turbos, Differentials, Brakes, Exhausts, etc.

Alf72 said:

@KickUp

Not sure if this was asked already... The cars will have any kind of upgrades, in D4?

I found a bit silly, how the car upgrades worked in DR ( very Arcade ), apart of being a grind ( drive X Kilometers, unlock Y ). 

It's probably, more complicated to simulate, and get it right, but i'd like to see a system where we upgrade/buy better Turbos, Differentials, Brakes, Exhausts, etc.

Parts will upgrade durability not performance. So they will perform at their best for longer. 

KickUp said:
Alf72 said:

@KickUp

Parts will upgrade durability not performance. So they will perform at their best for longer. 
@KickUp Will the default cars in freeplay have already maximum durability on them?

KickUp said:
Alf72 said:

@KickUp

@KickUp Will the default cars in freeplay have already maximum durability on them?
In free play you will get a loan car from one of the teams. The team will determine the part quality. 

KickUp said:
KickUp said:
Alf72 said:

@KickUp

In free play you will get a loan car from one of the teams. The team will determine the part quality. 
@KickUp  Interesting. So factory teams like Audi, Peugeot, Citroen (if you by any chance have it), i.e. official liveries will have the highest quality parts?

KickUp said:
KickUp said:
Alf72 said:

@KickUp

@KickUp  Interesting. So factory teams like Audi, Peugeot, Citroen (if you by any chance have it), i.e. official liveries will have the highest quality parts?
That is a fair assumption but not all cars will have factory teams. 

@KickUp One last question of the day, if you can answer it: what is the average number of liveries/teams per car? Are there cars with only one team like DiRT Rally?

KickUp said:
KickUp said:
KickUp said:
Alf72 said:

@KickUp

That is a fair assumption but not all cars will have factory teams. 
Hopefully the Fiesta R5's wing will be more durable than the new WRC car ;)

@KickUp: Not sure if this has been asked/answered already, buuut.. Will there be damage from overrevving the engine when downshifting too fast? 
And a feature request for shifting gears; When not using H-box (I don't have one... yet), would it be possible to have a multiple fast clicks going straight down to the desired gear instead of one by one? Might be unnecessary if gearshifts are faster in D4, but just thought I'd throw the idea out there. 

Dytut said:
@KickUp: Not sure if this has been asked/answered already, buuut.. Will there be damage from overrevving the engine when downshifting too fast? 
And a feature request for shifting gears; When not using H-box (I don't have one... yet), would it be possible to have a multiple fast clicks going straight down to the desired gear instead of one by one? Might be unnecessary if gearshifts are faster in D4, but just thought I'd throw the idea out there. 
Yeah, hopefully hardcore mode will be more punishing.  I'm not expecting real life levels of damage, but a lot closer than what D:R was.  It let you away with 100 mph hits with a tree, where real life WRC cars now seem to retire if you hit a pothole a bit too hard!  lol