DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Ferranis said:
@KickUp I hope this wasn't answered already and apologize if it was:

Will there still be a 'ideal' line in the stages with your stage? I mean the condition of the road - for example in sweden you can see the lines of the cars 'before' you. Or in greece the ruts that they left.
Yeah, we refer to these as the skid map but yes we will still have this. In fact it should be more appropriate to where you should drive than those seen on DiRT Rally.

KickUp said:
Ferranis said:
@KickUp I hope this wasn't answered already and apologize if it was:

Will there still be a 'ideal' line in the stages with your stage? I mean the condition of the road - for example in sweden you can see the lines of the cars 'before' you. Or in greece the ruts that they left.
Yeah, we refer to these as the skid map but yes we will still have this. In fact it should be more appropriate to where you should drive than those seen on DiRT Rally.
I will write a song in your honor.

Technical question on that. Do those skid maps have some sort of overall multiplier? If so then it would be relatively easy to implement overall grip changes based on the running order right? For example less grip for first couple of cars on gravel due to road cleaning. Wouldn't be represented visually of course, but would be a nice first step.

Areyouben said:
Technical question on that. Do those skid maps have some sort of overall multiplier? If so then it would be relatively easy to implement overall grip changes based on the running order right? For example less grip for first couple of cars on gravel due to road cleaning. Wouldn't be represented visually of course, but would be a nice first step.
No they don't but you are correct. If we were to do road cleaning that would be our first step although we would want to do more than just a texture laid on the surface to do it properly.

The fact we will basically have unlimited stages really excited, but I just really hope I won't start to "recognize" set pieces after a while. That's why I am really interested to know how the Your Stage generator works, could you tell us a lil' bit more about it's details?

chukonu said:
The fact we will basically have unlimited stages really excited, but I just really hope I won't start to "recognize" set pieces after a while. That's why I am really interested to know how the Your Stage generator works, could you tell us a lil' bit more about it's details?

We can't go into too much detail because explaining the detail will give away some of the secrets and that could allow others to go ahead and develop similar technology.

Suffice to say we have done everything we can to keep the stages feeling as unique as we can. Our level designers can recognise some moments but they have been working very closely with the pieces of the puzzle for over a year now.

To use a movie analogy; for them it is like seeing that woman with the red dress while looking at the Matrix. For you and me we are just driving down the stage in blissful ignorance.

Follow the white rabbit. >:)

@KickUp here's a question that I haven't seen much about:  With Your Stage are there still different areas of the same location other than say just picking Australia or Wales and generates from that area, or do we have the option to pick different areas (forest, desert.. etc) Australia.  I mean places with names, not generic like desert, exactly.  If im being clear.

Are the surroundings part of each tile or are they a tile of their own? I mean trees, fences, cars, spectators on the side of the road.

Will there be more true to life cuts on tarmac? There were a few in Germany, but in real life there are dramatic cuts more often.

bogani said:
Are the surroundings part of each tile or are they a tile of their own? I mean trees, fences, cars, spectators on the side of the road.

Will there be more true to life cuts on tarmac? There were a few in Germany, but in real life there are dramatic cuts more often.

Depends on the rally; having been to the Spanish round before, it's not like the narrow, dirty roads of Zlin or Ypres where cuts and ruts build up (the cars seem to be at 45° at times in Ypres!), people tend to keep at least three wheels on the tarmac at all times.

gfRally said:
@KickUp here's a question that I haven't seen much about:  With Your Stage are there still different areas of the same location other than say just picking Australia or Wales and generates from that area, or do we have the option to pick different areas (forest, desert.. etc) Australia.  I mean places with names, not generic like desert, exactly.  If im being clear.
Our landscapes are based on a real area but we have selected them based on them having a good variety of stuff. Australia that we showed in the demo is mostly made up of farmland and forest with variations in between. As a player you won't get to specify the zones.
bogani said:

More than just the road is part of each tile so more true to life cuts will be available. How we populate the tile with objects will determine how feasible taking that cut will be.

KickUp said:
gfRally said:
Our landscapes are based on a real area but we have selected them based on them having a good variety of stuff. Australia that we showed in the demo is mostly made up of farmland and forest with variations in between. As a player you won't get to specify the zones.
bogani said:

More than just the road is part of each tile so more true to life cuts will be available. How we populate the tile with objects will determine how feasible taking that cut will be.

Cool. Will random objects also be a factor? Random big rocks/ice patches/standing water.

@KickUp. Thanks dude, this is shaping up to be really cool.  Can't wait to make some spectacular videos with all this.

Dytut said:
Cool. Will random objects also be a factor? Random big rocks/ice patches/standing water.
They will although they should feel a bit more natural than some of the objects you saw in Rally

dgeesi0 said:
will there be a demo before release ?          
I asked that, its not feasible

Is the your stage feature just for the rally tracks or can we also create our own rallycross tracks?
As for now I'm dissapointed that there will be only 5 tracks in the game.

Can't create rallycross tracks, that one was answered already.

Must say, with all this talk of variants and the less it sounds like 20 pre-defined tiles arranged in a random order, the more I'm being converted from my usual cynical self to someone radiating positivity.

@KickUp Will the location chosen influence how complex or how fluid a stage can be?

Yes, each location will have its own characteristics that will determine these factors.

@KickUp are the engine sounds of new cars in D4 recorded from the real ones? Or cars coming from DR that didn't have their authentic sound yet?

KickUp said:
@KickUp Will the location chosen influence how complex or how fluid a stage can be?

Yes, each location will have its own characteristics that will determine these factors.

@KickUp Very interesting. Based on this, which locations would you consider slow rallies and which would you consider fast rallies?