DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

MaXyMsrpl said:
I also think that the swedish stages in DR were narrower than the WRC stages for example, these are quite wide and sweeping. I think the narrowness is part of the reason I don't really race sweden that much, you have to be so dead accurate and it can go wrong so easily and I just get frustrated lol
It's important to note, that the wider FOV is set, the narrower the road appears to the player. Yeah it's narrow (there are wider sections too) but this is what I live in this. There is no space to flat out. Ride slower to go faster is a rule of thumb. Get the flow and throw the car into corners earlier than it seems to be.
Initially I rallied with 3 monitor setup. Since half year ago I own Vive. And believe me or not: narrow roads are not the issue any more. It gives you space and subjectively time to prepare for each turn (eg doing scandinavian flick). Point is, I wouldn't widen roads based on monitor experience.
I use a Rift and still find it somewhat difficult but its based on the car I use, the stages over this weekends WRC event just looked quite wide in comparison

Etirion said:
That sounds very cool, what about the physics, do they feel different, better? More realistic? Longer stages?
and cars no longer fly to the moon over bumps.
What? But that was pure fun especially at finland :(
And: no finland? hm

Whilst we wait, Assetto Corsa has just added the Audi Sport quattro S1 E2, and a new fictional, multi-course Scottish circuit. It's quite fun, but they forgot to enable the handbrake in the Audi. DOH!

Whilst we wait, Assetto Corsa has just added the Audi Sport quattro S1 E2, and a new fictional, multi-course Scottish circuit. It's quite fun, but they forgot to enable the handbrake in the Audi. DOH!

As far as I know group b cars did not have handbrakes/were not useful (as they could not disconnect the rear wheels?) 

KickUp said:
Kenny1962 said:
Will  people be able to mod skins for the cars like in DR. If so will you be able to use the same skins if the car is in the new game. If you can add skins then will there be more car base colours to add skins to.
Kenny
I don't know the full technical details but I believe the system will be pretty much the same from a mod perspective. So skins made in DiRT Rally should work on those in DiRT 4. 

That said shaders and other technical bits have changed so while the design of the skin should translate there is a good chance it will need some tweaking to work perfectly. 
Great to hear that :)

Yeah, we had this discussion here before, Group B cars couldn't use the handbrake. I was surprised too.

Yeah, we had this discussion here before, Group B cars couldn't use the handbrake. I was surprised too.
May I ask, is it possible to modify a Group B to have a handbrake? What would it take? I'm curious about the engineering.

May I ask, is it possible to modify a Group B to have a handbrake? What would it take? I'm curious about the engineering.
It would need a modern transmission. The 80s Grp B 4x4 system's were fairly agricultural.

Evilsmurf said:
It would need a modern transmission. The 80s Grp B 4x4 system's were fairly agricultural.
So, same engine but modern diff?

Evilsmurf said:
So, same engine but modern diff?
Yes, you kind of need the diffs from a Lancer or a Subaru. I know that it's not hard to do, but it costs a bit of  moneys

Basically, you need a switchable centre Diff. These are normally electronically controlled via a sensor on the hand brake and disconnect the drive to the rear wheels once the hand brake is engaged to allow the wheels to lock.

Evilsmurf said:
Basically, you need a switchable centre Diff. These are normally electronically controlled via a sensor on the hand brake and disconnect the drive to the rear wheels once the hand brake is engaged to allow the wheels to lock.

I think it feels quite nice to drive and well... I already had to render it because the model is so beautiful! :joy: (Sorry for off-topic...)

Evilsmurf said:
It could also be mechanichal. You have to step on the clutch before puling the handbrake, but it's about the same ;)

I was a little disappointed at first announcement that they are ditching real world stages.  The stages in  DR are by far the best stages in a rally game, ever.  That being said, the effort/time to create them must be insane.  Even if you did get 5-6 new stages as DLC, how long till you memorize every corner like most of us did who played Rally for hundreds of hours?  That's not what rally is about, hotlapping is for circuit racing.  I'm really excited about doing online/league stuff where every person is racing on pure pace notes and balls, not because they have run the stage 500 times.  This tech is really exciting stuff for rally fans!

I can't wait to try the new handling model with better braking and not soaring into the heavens off jumps.  Dirt Rally felt pretty amazing, but those 2 areas did need work and I'm glad they addressed it.  I can't wait!!  Thank you devs!

@KickUp
Will Leagues function through the website like DR does?  Any insight on how stages creation will work for a league event? 

griev0r said:
I was a little disappointed at first announcement that they are ditching real world stages.  The stages in  DR are by far the best stages in a rally game, ever.  That being said, the effort/time to create them must be insane.  Even if you did get 5-6 new stages as DLC, how long till you memorize every corner like most of us did who played Rally for hundreds of hours?  That's not what rally is about, hotlapping is for circuit racing.  I'm really excited about doing online/league stuff where every person is racing on pure pace notes and balls, not because they have run the stage 500 times.  This tech is really exciting stuff for rally fans!
If I'm not mistaken, the stages they create are real world stages. The stages createdby 'YourStage' are randomly generated stages that consist of tiles from the real world stages. Correct me if I'm wrong.

griev0r said:
If I'm not mistaken, the stages they create are real world stages. The stages createdby 'YourStage' are randomly generated stages that consist of tiles from the real world stages. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Paul confirmed the set stages they'll use for career mode etc are generated also. No real stages at all in Dirt 4 unfortunately

edgenz said:
griev0r said:
Paul confirmed the set stages they'll use for career mode etc are generated also. No real stages at all in Dirt 4 unfortunately
I wouldn't say that's a bad thing. Giving up having a handful of well-known real roads in exchange for hundreds of unique roads plus infinite more seems like a pretty fair trade if you ask me.  ;)

BadD0g said:
edgenz said:
griev0r said:
I wouldn't say that's a bad thing. Giving up having a handful of well-known real roads in exchange for hundreds of unique roads plus infinite more seems like a pretty fair trade if you ask me.  ;)
Yup, same here.  As long as variation on your stage is as good as they are saying I think this will completely blow DR out of the water.

Lynx2000 said:

As far as I know group b cars did not have handbrakes/were not useful (as they could not disconnect the rear wheels?) 
They were required to have handbrakes to meet the requirements of the Road Traffic Act....they just didn't function properly!

MaXyMsrpl said:
It's worth to note, that the wider FOV is set, the narrower the road appears to the player.
@KickUp
Speaking of FOV, it would be great if this time around, the FOV settings would apply to dashboard view as well, not just to cockpit view, or alternatively if we could enable the dials in cockpit view. I have to run with a very low FOV to get somewhat close to correct and on quite a few cars, it can be a pain to be able to set it up so you can actually see the dashboard. Basically I either have to move the seat quite far to the back to the point where it no longer feels natural (it feels like I'm sitting in the back of the car and my hands are unnaturally long), or I have to use the dashboard view, which means I get the on-screen dials, but lose the custom FOV.

BadD0g said:
edgenz said:
griev0r said:
Almost infinite ;)

BadD0g said:
edgenz said:
griev0r said:
Yea I agree - I'm super excited with what's planned

They could have done 10 real stages for each location, after some time most of us still would know each stage by heart. I think this solution is bloody fantastic!

I'm also thinking about the possibilities of adding more locations as DLC. Creating a new enviroment with new tiles must be less time consuming than visiting, documenting and creating a real stage from scratch.

griev0r said:

@KickUp
Will Leagues function through the website like DR does?  Any insight on how stages creation will work for a league event? 
You'll be able to set up leagues through the website as you could with DiRT Rally but there will be more options and functionality that will address some of the things people wanted to see improved. 
As for stage generation. We are recreating Your Stage functionality on the website so you can set everything up there.