Jump to content
F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

 

Message added by PJTierney

Recommended Posts

bogani said:
human1101 said:
@kickup hey i was wondering if spain is more winding like monte carlo or more square cornered like germany?
The stages I've been too are very windy with only a few junctions, usually roads connecting small (ex-mining, I presume) towns in the hills. Much wider than Monte stages but far fewer junctions than the Panzerplatte ones from DR. 

More similar to the more basic German stages in real life; the ones not in Baumholder or the vineyards, if that helps at all?

I've always prefered the likes of San Remo over the flat and wide public roads they mainly use for Catalunya.
Yeah, me too, there are a lot of tarmac rallies that I'd choose over Catalunya (Ypres, Valais, Zlin, Mosel, Mont Blanc, Ireland, San Remo), but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth and I'm really excited by the chance to try endless new tarmac stages regardless. Hopefully there'll be a few narrow sections and hairpins thrown in.
Ehh, I don't know about that. I'd at least like to make sure the horse is healthy before I go through the trouble of taking it home. I mean, if it has some kind of disease it could spread to the other horses, which are quite expensive and I'd be rather angry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KickUp said:
There are limitations to our tech that prevents us from allowing FoV adjustment in cockpit view. I agree it would be cool but we haven't been able to solve it for D4. 
You mean in dashboard view, right? But there's a perfectly working camera mod* for DR that unlocks FOV in dashboard view...?
Anyway, if changing FOV in dashboard view is not possible to support officially, maybe at least allow us to enable the HUD dials in cockpit view? At least a gear indicator, if not rpm dial? I understand the immersion factors of the cockpit view and I'm all for it, but it really can be quite difficult to set a proper seating position in cockpit view and still see the car's actual dashboard comfortably on some low FOV setups with some of the cars. And driving without any gear indicator can be pretty frustrating at times (though it is a challenge).

(* And by "perfectly working" I mean there are no detectable camera issues with it apart from the fact that installing the mod often - though not always, interestingly enough - means I can no longer connect to RaceNet, which is why I'm not using the mod in DR, I don't want to get banned.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KickUp said:
human1101 said:
@kickup hey i was wondering if spain is more winding like monte carlo or more square cornered like germany?
Fast flowing tarmac with some junctions and towns. Something like this: https://youtu.be/WFKPXgntpkg
see how that car sticks to the tarmac im hoping thats what we have.               

is the motion blur still in or option to turn off ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CaseF said:
KickUp said:
There are limitations to our tech that prevents us from allowing FoV adjustment in cockpit view. I agree it would be cool but we haven't been able to solve it for D4. 
You mean in dashboard view, right? But there's a perfectly working camera mod* for DR that unlocks FOV in dashboard view...?
Anyway, if changing FOV in dashboard view is not possible to support officially, maybe at least allow us to enable the HUD dials in cockpit view? At least a gear indicator, if not rpm dial? I understand the immersion factors of the cockpit view and I'm all for it, but it really can be quite difficult to set a proper seating position in cockpit view and still see the car's actual dashboard comfortably on some low FOV setups with some of the cars. And driving without any gear indicator can be pretty frustrating at times (though it is a challenge).

(* And by "perfectly working" I mean there are no detectable camera issues with it apart from the fact that installing the mod often - though not always, interestingly enough - means I can no longer connect to RaceNet, which is why I'm not using the mod in DR, I don't want to get banned.)
You have any other mods installed? I never had any problem with racenet and that mod?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KevM said:
EDDSkitz said:
Yep, just like anyone that rallies with a subaru from pre 05, my handbrake works fine, no active center diff.
Yeah, I had a 1997 road car back in the day.  The handbrake seemed to open the centre-diff, no bother with handbrake turns, you could actually hear something mechanical happen when you pulled the magic wand! 
Yeah, the center diff is mechanical, but doesn't allow the front wheels to lock up from driveline shock... the automatics actually have an ACD that does a similar effect. 

Nothing will beat a true subaru DCCD though.... got one on the 207 forester swap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CaseF said:
KickUp said:
There are limitations to our tech that prevents us from allowing FoV adjustment in cockpit view. I agree it would be cool but we haven't been able to solve it for D4. 
You mean in dashboard view, right? But there's a perfectly working camera mod* for DR that unlocks FOV in dashboard view...?
Anyway, if changing FOV in dashboard view is not possible to support officially, maybe at least allow us to enable the HUD dials in cockpit view? At least a gear indicator, if not rpm dial? I understand the immersion factors of the cockpit view and I'm all for it, but it really can be quite difficult to set a proper seating position in cockpit view and still see the car's actual dashboard comfortably on some low FOV setups with some of the cars. And driving without any gear indicator can be pretty frustrating at times (though it is a challenge).

(* And by "perfectly working" I mean there are no detectable camera issues with it apart from the fact that installing the mod often - though not always, interestingly enough - means I can no longer connect to RaceNet, which is why I'm not using the mod in DR, I don't want to get banned.)
To go off of this, the modern cars in DR (particularly the 2010s) have awkward camera positions in the Helmet Cam view that cause the dash/gear indicator to be blocked by the steering wheel, even in the default seating position, and all the seat adjustments just block it further. Ideally a steering wheel adjustment option would solve this, but I image that's not possible for technical reasons. I don't know if it would be possible at this point in development, but it would be much better if the steering wheels are positioned so they don't block the dash by default at least, for those of us who play with no HUD and the in-game wheel on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Hyundai is one that's really annoying, can't see the gear indicator at all. If there are no work around, it would be nice to have a gear indicator icon in the HUD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So I've been following the last 100 pages or so intently and I've got a couple of questions that I don't think have been asked before.

First of all, a question about the Pro Buggy footage we saw. This is a new form of motorsport to me, looking forward to learning more about it. In the footage we've seen are they racing at Wild West Motorsports Park outside Reno, Nevada or at Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park outside Phoenix, Arizona? Both circuits look very similar from the air on google maps.

Second question, are we able to set how frequent service parks are in custom events now? You could always do it when making a league but if I wanted to race the AI the service parks were locked at every two events. I'd love to space them out a little bit more, maybe every four stages or so.

Thanks for all your input here @KickUp - I've gone from being disinterested to hyped thanks to your comments here and on reddit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So I've been following the last 100 pages or so intently and I've got a couple of questions that I don't think have been asked before.

First of all, a question about the Pro Buggy footage we saw. This is a new form of motorsport to me, looking forward to learning more about it. In the footage we've seen are they racing at Wild West Motorsports Park outside Reno, Nevada or at Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park outside Phoenix, Arizona? Both circuits look very similar from the air on google maps.

Second question, are we able to set how frequent service parks are in custom events now? You could always do it when making a league but if I wanted to race the AI the service parks were locked at every two events. I'd love to space them out a little bit more, maybe every four stages or so.

Thanks for all your input here @KickUp - I've gone from being disinterested to hyped thanks to your comments here and on reddit.

The Landrush locations we have in the game are actually fictional but we have looked at the characteristics of real world locations like the ones you have mentioned and incorporated them into our circuit designs. 

Yes you can flag when you want a service interval in a custom event now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'll admit it's a bit strange having real world rallycross tracks, but everything else is fictional. I suppose if all are equal fidelity the untrained eye wouldn't notice, so it only matters to us wackos that know the sport well.

Has the number of Landrush circuits been confirmed already? Apologies if I missed it. I'm getting antsy thinking about how crazy the buggies will be with sim handling.  :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@KickUp
How has tarmac handling been improved for D4 simulation handling?  In Dirt Rally the best way to describe the feel, not being a professional rally driver, is that you were on inters or gravel tires and suspension in DR.  Has that been improved so it's more grippy, but also more snappy when you push it too far?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BadD0g said:
To go off of this, the modern cars in DR (particularly the 2010s) have awkward camera positions in the Helmet Cam view that cause the dash/gear indicator to be blocked by the steering wheel, even in the default seating position, and all the seat adjustments just block it further. Ideally a steering wheel adjustment option would solve this, but I image that's not possible for technical reasons. I don't know if it would be possible at this point in development, but it would be much better if the steering wheels are positioned so they don't block the dash by default at least, for those of us who play with no HUD and the in-game wheel on. 
I play with no HUD and the ability to disable wheel was a godsend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Hyundai is one that's really annoying, can't see the gear indicator at all. If there are no work around, it would be nice to have a gear indicator icon in the HUD
The Hyundai seating position is way too high by default and you can't lower the seat enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
After watching some of our superstar Porkz onboards it's very clear how big of an advantage it is to be using manual h-pattern with clutch compared to sequential. 
I reckon you can be at least 10 seconds quicker on the long stages just by using hp/clutch.

I really don't think you should be penalized as a player for not having access to an h-pattern box.

Getting penalized for using sequential on a car that actually uses sequential IRL just gets kinda silly imo.

I know it's been discussed before @KickUp but the advantage of using hp/clutch is just too great compared to sequential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BadD0g said:
Has the number of Landrush circuits been confirmed already? Apologies if I missed it. I'm getting antsy thinking about how crazy the buggies will be with sim handling.  :p
Isn't it just Nevada and Baja?
bogani said:
After watching some of our superstar Porkz onboards it's very clear how big of an advantage it is to be using manual h-pattern with clutch compared to sequential. 
I reckon you can be at least 10 seconds quicker on the long stages just by using hp/clutch.

I really don't think you should be penalized as a player for not having access to an h-pattern box.

Getting penalized for using sequential on a car that actually uses sequential IRL just gets kinda silly imo.

I know it's been discussed before @KickUp but the advantage of using hp/clutch is just too great compared to sequential.
I feel like that gets balanced out by the car stalling itself out all the time. I play with auto clutch and clutch override, then I pretend it's not automatic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BadD0g said:

Has the number of Landrush circuits been confirmed already? Apologies if I missed it. I'm getting antsy thinking about how crazy the buggies will be with sim handling.  :p
We have three Landrush locations and the circuits have about three layouts each. They are in Nevada, Baja and California. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I also use clutch override, with not realistic feeling to the cluch or shifter its just horrible trying to judge, im unsure if its any botter using a more expensive setup than a g27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bogani said:
After watching some of our superstar Porkz onboards it's very clear how big of an advantage it is to be using manual h-pattern with clutch compared to sequential. 
I reckon you can be at least 10 seconds quicker on the long stages just by using hp/clutch.

I really don't think you should be penalized as a player for not having access to an h-pattern box.

Getting penalized for using sequential on a car that actually uses sequential IRL just gets kinda silly imo.

I know it's been discussed before @KickUp but the advantage of using hp/clutch is just too great compared to sequential.
It has been discussed many times before and we are looking to address the difference. I don't know what more you want me to say. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KickUp said:

bogani said:
After watching some of our superstar Porkz onboards it's very clear how big of an advantage it is to be using manual h-pattern with clutch compared to sequential. 
I reckon you can be at least 10 seconds quicker on the long stages just by using hp/clutch.

I really don't think you should be penalized as a player for not having access to an h-pattern box.

Getting penalized for using sequential on a car that actually uses sequential IRL just gets kinda silly imo.

I know it's been discussed before @KickUp but the advantage of using hp/clutch is just too great compared to sequential.
It has been discussed many times before and we are looking to address the difference. I don't know what more you want me to say. 
Glad it being looked at. Thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bogani said:
After watching some of our superstar Porkz onboards it's very clear how big of an advantage it is to be using manual h-pattern with clutch compared to sequential. 
I reckon you can be at least 10 seconds quicker on the long stages just by using hp/clutch.

I really don't think you should be penalized as a player for not having access to an h-pattern box.

Getting penalized for using sequential on a car that actually uses sequential IRL just gets kinda silly imo.

I know it's been discussed before @KickUp but the advantage of using hp/clutch is just too great compared to sequential.
H pattern & Clutch isn't any faster shifting than sequential.  It's nice for authenticity, great fun in the older cars, but not really an advantage.  Even the slowest of sequential shifts in the game, aren't slow enough to cause disadvantage.  There are other gearbox/clutch tips & tricks that speed things up, but anyone can employ them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KevM said:
bogani said:
After watching some of our superstar Porkz onboards it's very clear how big of an advantage it is to be using manual h-pattern with clutch compared to sequential. 
I reckon you can be at least 10 seconds quicker on the long stages just by using hp/clutch.

I really don't think you should be penalized as a player for not having access to an h-pattern box.

Getting penalized for using sequential on a car that actually uses sequential IRL just gets kinda silly imo.

I know it's been discussed before @KickUp but the advantage of using hp/clutch is just too great compared to sequential.
H pattern & Clutch isn't any faster shifting than sequential.  It's nice for authenticity, great fun in the older cars, but not really an advantage.  Even the slowest of sequential shifts in the game, aren't slow enough to cause disadvantage.  There are other gearbox/clutch tips & tricks that speed things up, but anyone can employ them
Sorry Kev, that's just not true.

Please take the Ibiza for a spin with sequential and tell me that there is no advantage using shifting like below. On along stage it sums to to quite a bit of time.

https://youtu.be/gW-HDFxh_GQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KevM said:
H pattern & Clutch isn't any faster shifting than sequential.  It's nice for authenticity, great fun in the older cars, but not really an advantage.  Even the slowest of sequential shifts in the game, aren't slow enough to cause disadvantage.  There are other gearbox/clutch tips & tricks that speed things up, but anyone can employ them
It is quite a lot faster depending on the car & stage combo, I'm afraid.

bogani said:
KevM said:
bogani said:
After watching some of our superstar Porkz onboards it's very clear how big of an advantage it is to be using manual h-pattern with clutch compared to sequential. 
I reckon you can be at least 10 seconds quicker on the long stages just by using hp/clutch.

I really don't think you should be penalized as a player for not having access to an h-pattern box.

Getting penalized for using sequential on a car that actually uses sequential IRL just gets kinda silly imo.

I know it's been discussed before @KickUp but the advantage of using hp/clutch is just too great compared to sequential.
H pattern & Clutch isn't any faster shifting than sequential.  It's nice for authenticity, great fun in the older cars, but not really an advantage.  Even the slowest of sequential shifts in the game, aren't slow enough to cause disadvantage.  There are other gearbox/clutch tips & tricks that speed things up, but anyone can employ them
Sorry Kev, that's just not true.

Please take the Ibiza for a spin with sequential and tell me that there is no advantage using shifting like below. On along stage it sums to to quite a bit of time.

https://youtu.be/gW-HDFxh_GQ
I actually lost that daily; powershifting isn't super in Monaco unless the car in question has ridiculously slow shifting. It makes the biggest difference in Germany, and mainly in older cars. This is a better example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj1FrgSg80M

I did already ask Paul about this though, on page 734 - basically pointing out that on H-pattern gearboxes it makes sense to have a small "penalty" if not shifting "properly", but cars fitted with actual sequential boxes should not have this delay.

Anyway, Paul's answer made me hopeful for the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KevM said:
H pattern & Clutch isn't any faster shifting than sequential.  It's nice for authenticity, great fun in the older cars, but not really an advantage.  Even the slowest of sequential shifts in the game, aren't slow enough to cause disadvantage.  There are other gearbox/clutch tips & tricks that speed things up, but anyone can employ them
It is quite a lot faster depending on the car & stage combo, I'm afraid.

bogani said:
KevM said:
bogani said:
After watching some of our superstar Porkz onboards it's very clear how big of an advantage it is to be using manual h-pattern with clutch compared to sequential. 
I reckon you can be at least 10 seconds quicker on the long stages just by using hp/clutch.

I really don't think you should be penalized as a player for not having access to an h-pattern box.

Getting penalized for using sequential on a car that actually uses sequential IRL just gets kinda silly imo.

I know it's been discussed before @KickUp but the advantage of using hp/clutch is just too great compared to sequential.
H pattern & Clutch isn't any faster shifting than sequential.  It's nice for authenticity, great fun in the older cars, but not really an advantage.  Even the slowest of sequential shifts in the game, aren't slow enough to cause disadvantage.  There are other gearbox/clutch tips & tricks that speed things up, but anyone can employ them
Sorry Kev, that's just not true.

Please take the Ibiza for a spin with sequential and tell me that there is no advantage using shifting like below. On along stage it sums to to quite a bit of time.

https://youtu.be/gW-HDFxh_GQ
I actually lost that daily; powershifting isn't super in Monaco unless the car in question has ridiculously slow shifting. It makes the biggest difference in Germany, and mainly in older cars. This is a better example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj1FrgSg80M

I did already ask Paul about this though, on page 734 - basically pointing out that on H-pattern gearboxes it makes sense to have a small "penalty" if not shifting "properly", but cars fitted with actual sequential boxes should not have this delay.

Anyway, Paul's answer made me hopeful for the future.

I agree with everything than that there should be a penalty for not shifting "properly". Not all people have h-patterns. That's like saying everyone that does not own a wheel not capable of 900 degree steering should get a penalty for not using "proper" steering degrees.

I think the shifting time should be equal across the board. Even automatic, where you still will have a disadvantage as of not being able to choose what gear you are in, but the actual shift time should be the same.

Just my two cents :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bogani said:

I agree with everything than that there should be a penalty for not shifting "properly". Not all people have h-patterns. That's like saying everyone that does not own a wheel not capable of 900 degree steering should get a penalty for not using "proper" steering degrees.

I think the shifting time should be equal across the board. Even automatic, where you still will have a disadvantage as of not being able to choose what gear you are in, but the actual shift time should be the same.

Just my two cents :)
Oh I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just saying it makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The average shift time should be consistent (i.e. the shift time for paddles should be the same as H-shifter, going faster than that makes the gear pop to neutral), and we should be allowed to control the throttle while shifting if we want to (so we can powershift without H-box). H-box will always have the advantage of being able to skip gears and fully controlled clutch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×