F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

@KickUp Are the Group B cars going to have more wheelspin in DiRT 4 than in DiRT Rally and do we have to drive them more "like they're supposed to be driven"? With that I mean that is there going to be need to take corners slower than before and are the braking distances longer? More wheelspin would make them feel more powerful too and I think that they felt like they don't have enough power in DiRT Rally.

Well, I just had a chat with Paul about R5s and, while no specifics were given, he did say that, perhaps, they were missing some good ones. Now, there are only 5 R5 cars making their rounds on international championships out there, so I think we aren't getting 4 cars but rather just 3. My bet is:

- Ford Fiesta R5 (obviously)
- Peugeot 208 R5 (don't know how much we can trust the guy from Race Department)
- Hyundai i20 R5

My preferred bet would be:
- Ford Fiesta R5
- Peugeot 208 R5
- Skoda Fabia R5

Let's speculate on those.

Jepsertti said:
@KickUp Are the Group B cars going to have more wheelspin in DiRT 4 than in DiRT Rally and do we have to drive them more "like they're supposed to be driven"? With that I mean that is there going to be need to take corners slower than before and are the braking distances longer? More wheelspin would make them feel more powerful too and I think that they felt like they don't have enough power in DiRT Rally.
Their power is fine, in my opinion - but their grip is a bit over the top.

Well, I just had a chat with Paul about R5s and, while no specifics were given, he did say that, perhaps, they were missing some good ones. Now, there are only 5 R5 cars making their rounds on international championships out there, so I think we aren't getting 4 cars but rather just 3. My bet is:

- Peugeot 208 R5 (don't know how much we can trust the guy from Race Department)
- Hyundai i20 R5

- Ford Fiesta R5
- Peugeot 208 R5
- Skoda Fabia R5

You're leaving out the Mirage R5. It may not be homologated to be able to run internationally. But I woudln't rule it out as there were some rumors some time ago that some of the Codies were visiting the factory to do som recodings.

I hope the track generator will be not that limited

I would like to do some crazy tracks as well. For example a real BIG slope which makes you fly really high and then fall into water for example :D Some crazy stuff should be doable. Great would be if you could edit the tracks after the generation a bit. Like changing the slopes, maybe even edit some turns and such.

@KickUp  I wouldn't worry about changing your things, we'll worry about our side of that ;)

Jepsertti said:
Their power is fine, in my opinion - but their grip is a bit over the top.

The more I play DiRT, the more I'm finding that the gearbox final drive is way too long, which drains engine power, reduces wheel spin dramatically & therefore increases grip.  Rally stages become more about maintaining silly speeds than actually controlling grip :(

Take the Quattro up the Peak on mixed surface, set it up any way you please, but reduce the gearbox final drive to 4.908 (or less) & tell me it doesn't make the Rally cars feel too muted.

The car becomes more sensitive to corner entry speed, power has to be fed in, slides can be initiated, caught, adjusted & held & gravel is more progressive etc.  The hairpins aren't just point & squirt, you have to work the car round them.  You can play with the weight of the car on cornering, braking etc.  The whole run is more about finding grip & balancing right on the very edge of it. 

Its a brilliant balance of grip & power & suits the surfaces a lot better.  

Try it & report back.  It's really good, I promise!

Did anyone post this before? If yes, then sorry ;)

FINALLY. It's the moment I've been waiting for...

...MY HANDS HAVE APPEARED IN A VIDEO WITH PETTER SOLBERG

tbtstt said:
Did anyone post this before? If yes, then sorry ;)

FINALLY. It's the moment I've been waiting for...

...MY HANDS HAVE APPEARED IN A VIDEO WITH PETTER SOLBERG
Dear god, man, what the hell are you doing with your right fingers??

- Hyundai i20 R5

- Ford Fiesta R5
- Peugeot 208 R5
- Skoda Fabia R5

Hmm, will be a bit disappointing if there's no Skoda to be honest, R5 is a bit of a Ford v Skoda battle at the moment. I was hoping the three would be Peugeot, Ford and Hyundai, with the fourth they were apparently pursuing being the Skoda, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

If one of them is the Mirage/Space Star it would be nice, but not at the expense of the others.

And if they're doing DLC by the end of the year, the new Polo could be a nice addition too...

- Hyundai i20 R5

- Ford Fiesta R5
- Peugeot 208 R5
- Skoda Fabia R5

Hmm, will be a bit disappointing if there's no Skoda to be honest, R5 is a bit of a Ford v Skoda battle at the moment. I was hoping the three would be Peugeot, Ford and Hyundai, with the fourth they were apparently pursuing being the Skoda, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

If one of them is the Mirage/Space Star it would be nice, but not at the expense of the others.

And if they're doing DLC by the end of the year, the new Polo could be a nice addition too...
I have always had this belief that modern Skoda's are pretty hard to licence. When was the last time you saw a skoda in a game outside the WRC games? The last I remember was Sega Rally online arcade back in 2011

RodgerDavies said: 

- Hyundai i20 R5

- Ford Fiesta R5
- Peugeot 208 R5
- Skoda Fabia R5

I have always had this belief that modern Skoda's are pretty hard to licence. When was the last time you saw a skoda in a game outside the WRC games? The last I remember was Sega Rally online arcade back in 2011

Agreed, it does seem to be that way. Would be crazy if they are difficult; the whole point of their rally programme was to give themselves a more sporty image than their traditional one, so I never understood why they seemed so intent on hiding their rally cars from gaming. Hopefully CM can pull something out of the bag!

I've got this feeling we have a higher chance of seeing a Citroen DS3 R5 than a Fabia. A user said, quite some pages back, that the DS3 would be problematic because of the DS license. Except, from 2016 onward, the DS3s stopped having any DS branding and ran with the Citroën Racing banner.

Citroen DS3 R5 in 2015 (note: this team has factory support). Note the driveDS.pt and the DS branding on the side.

Same car, same team, the following year. driveDS is now Citroen Racing and all DS branding replaced with Citroen.

I hope it's not the 'Toyota situation' all over again.

KevM said:
Jepsertti said:
Whilst we wait, Assetto Corsa has just added the Audi Sport quattro S1 E2, and a new fictional, multi-course Scottish circuit. It's quite fun, but they forgot to enable the handbrake in the Audi. DOH!
I think it feels quite nice to drive and well... I already had to render it because the model is so beautiful! :joy: (Sorry for off-topic...)

I've literally been playing with this for hours today! It sounds fantastic inside the cockpit, it's great fun trying to tame it. I had to put my racing boots on as the soles of my feet were starting to hurt from changing gear  :D
How does it feel to drive?  Get a replay up!!
Its great fun, sounds epic and is very fast. Its got a good amount of understeer and oversteer so you do have to work with it. Tried it on Nordschliefe, addictive!
in some ways or views it sounds good others it sounds like a hairdrier.looks good model wise but i take dirts handling over it any day.like driving a hovercraft on butter.

dgeesi0 said:
KevM said:
Jepsertti said:
Whilst we wait, Assetto Corsa has just added the Audi Sport quattro S1 E2, and a new fictional, multi-course Scottish circuit. It's quite fun, but they forgot to enable the handbrake in the Audi. DOH!
I think it feels quite nice to drive and well... I already had to render it because the model is so beautiful! :joy: (Sorry for off-topic...)

I've literally been playing with this for hours today! It sounds fantastic inside the cockpit, it's great fun trying to tame it. I had to put my racing boots on as the soles of my feet were starting to hurt from changing gear  :D
How does it feel to drive?  Get a replay up!!
Its great fun, sounds epic and is very fast. Its got a good amount of understeer and oversteer so you do have to work with it. Tried it on Nordschliefe, addictive!
in some ways or views it sounds good others it sounds like a hairdrier.looks good model wise but i take dirts handling over it any day.like driving a hovercraft on butter.
I though it sounded a bit crap also, but DR has me spoiled. ;)

I think the Mirage is definitely a possibility, considering they got two Lancers in there.

Also, if there happens to be DLC, it would be cool if it was free maybe :)