DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

human1101 said:
Id love to hear from a car manufacturer why they are such sticks in the mud about car licensing
What really throws me is how anyone in any marketing department would think it's a good idea to let SOME developers use their cars, but not others. Who is that benefiting? From the manufacturer's point of view, it doesn't make any sense, why limit your potential audience? They must get BIG paychecks from devs/publishers that want exclusive licenses, otherwise I can't think of any other reason for this to make sense for a manufacturer.

Well if i was loving a car in a sim game like dirt rally i might be more likely to buy it, even if i cant get the souped up rally version from the game, although it was the other way with my current car as it being in the game made me like using the game one more as i was less worried about crashing it so i could push it more to the limit

BadD0g said:
human1101 said:
Id love to hear from a car manufacturer why they are such sticks in the mud about car licensing
What really throws me is how anyone in any marketing department would think it's a good idea to let SOME developers use their cars, but not others. Who is that benefiting? From the manufacturer's point of view, it doesn't make any sense, why limit your potential audience? They must get BIG paychecks from devs/publishers that want exclusive licenses, otherwise I can't think of any other reason for this to make sense for a manufacturer.
I for one would not play a game just because it has some car in it, if the game is shit the game is shit, eg sebastian loeb rally evo not working with my g27 in the demo, well that ended that game for me because im not going to chance spending money on it and have to go back to using my xbox controller, even though it had cars in it that i would like to have played with

Skoda is generally rarely seen in games at all. I mean for crying out loud, they aren't even in Gran Turismo. Gran Turismo of all things. If it ain't there, you know you ain't getting it xD

As to why the manufacturers are hesitant... if you don't know what it is about, it's about money. On top of that, even though some people here don't care about cars in it, a lot of people do. Massive amount in fact. Some may buy a game because there is a specific car in it. It's similar as with movies, you're more likely to watch a movie if there's an actor in it you like. Manufacturers are aware of that and raise the price more and more.

The situation with Toyota and Codemasters is probably one where Codies can't spend much and Toyota asking for a sum that is way too high for them. The damage in the game is also a factor most likely. Gran Turismo doesn't have a (proper) damage model and in result they get more licenses than anyone else (and they know how to name the cars for once) even though everyone joke about their crappy damage model. Codemasters do have rather extensive damage model, and probably along with low balling the manufacturers for the deals results in them not being very happy and the relationships being not best, which would explain why they always have issues with licenses.

Again, if you don't know what it is about, it's about money. Doubly true when licenses are involved.

I personally... will be more interested in a game if it has a car I like but if it doesn't, that won't make me stop considering it. Gameplay is most important, cars are a nice visual addition.

Also, the very fact that we are here mad there aren't more cars in the game due to the licensing only proves that the cars in the game matter. The more you complain about it, the more the prices will go up. Once you get this ball running, there's no stopping it I'm afraid.

I bought Forza 3 because my car was in it ('09 Honda Fit Sport). Forza 5 onwards: no Fit. They heard I bought the game just for that car, and the price went up. Priced it right out of the game. So I didn't buy an Xbox One. True story.

At least I got my HPD rally Fit in Forza Horizon.

Jepsertti said:
@KickUp Are the Group B cars going to have more wheelspin in DiRT 4 than in DiRT Rally and do we have to drive them more "like they're supposed to be driven"? With that I mean that is there going to be need to take corners slower than before and are the braking distances longer? More wheelspin would make them feel more powerful too and I think that they felt like they don't have enough power in DiRT Rally.
Their power is fine, in my opinion - but their grip is a bit over the top.

Yeah. The question is if they simulate all cars with modern day tires or the appropriate tires they used back in the day. The difference should be massive.

The newer WRC cars on snow are much more like driving on gravel. Turn in like you would on gravel and get on the throttle. The earlier cars really needed to be handled more throwing them sideways from corner to corner. Just look how Colin drives the group A Impreza on snow.

https://youtu.be/VxFGJELhifU

BadD0g said:
tbtstt said:
Did anyone post this before? If yes, then sorry ;)

FINALLY. It's the moment I've been waiting for...

...MY HANDS HAVE APPEARED IN A VIDEO WITH PETTER SOLBERG
Dear god, man, what the hell are you doing with your right fingers??
Haha! I don't really get on with using the triggers for accelerator and brake in "proper" driving games @BadD0g. So I have the accelerator on the X button (pressed with my thumb), brakes on the square button (pressed with my index finger), handbrake on circle (also pressed with the index finger). 

Clutch is on L1 and, when I'm using manual gears, I put the gear change on the triggers. As I was learning on the day though, I stuck with auto. 

Looking at the picture, I'd say I was on the brakes! 

tbtstt said:
BadD0g said:
tbtstt said:

Haha! I don't really get on with using the triggers for accelerator and brake in "proper" driving games @BadD0g. So I have the accelerator on the X button (pressed with my thumb), brakes on the square button (pressed with my index finger), handbrake on circle (also pressed with the index finger). 

Clutch is on L1 and, when I'm using manual gears, I put the gear change on the triggers. As I was learning on the day though, I stuck with auto. 

THE CLAWWWWW!!!!!

tbtstt said:

My fingers hurt just looking at that picture!

:lol:

tbtstt said:
BadD0g said:
tbtstt said:

THE CLAWWWWW!!!!!

tbtstt said:
I'm using this control scheme:

Works fine for me if I can't use a wheel.

tbtstt said:
I'm using this control scheme:

Works fine for me if I can't use a wheel.
That's not far off the default is it? I'm fine with brake on L2 and accelerator on R2 for arcade racing games, but I just don't feel like as have as much control in "proper" racing games like DiRT Rally and Gran Turismo: so I go old school and move those back to X and square! 

Handbrake on R1 is a good shout, as I wouldn't have to keep moving my index finger back and forth for brake and handbrake: it's hard to break from what I'm used to now though! 

bogani said:
Yeah. The question is if they simulate all cars with modern day tires or the appropriate tires they used back in the day. The difference should be massive.

The newer WRC cars on snow are much more like driving on gravel. Turn in like you would on gravel and get on the throttle. The earlier cars really needed to be handled more throwing them sideways from corner to corner. Just look how Colin drives the group A Impreza on snow.

https://youtu.be/VxFGJELhifU

He's pinned in 6th most of the time, but doesn't look like he's covering ground at much more than 100mph, but you can hear the car is still pulling really hard & not just flat on the limiter, which would likely be due to the actual real increased wind resistance at the speeds he's at.  

When the tyre is pushing against some form of resistance (wind drag), & the surface is loose or wet, you get slip like he does.
If the tyre is free to roll/spin unresisted, or doesn't have the torque to pull, it wont overcome friction & break traction. 
Equal and Opposite forces.

Perhaps that's why the D:R PP Quattro works so well with breaking traction?  Do the big wings create sufficient resistance to its power?  Is the resistance just due to the gradient of the hill?   Whatever it is, it works.  My shoulders and neck were going into spasm last night trying to fight it up the hill!  

As I have said, the 4.9 final drive lets the Quattro punch harder, & that likely slows the overall competitive stage time, but who cares, damn its fun!!  :)

(& still quicker than Walter Rohl  :/  )

tbtstt said:
That's not far off the default is it?
I think the biggest change here is a gear control for manual shifting. Handbrake on R1 works excellent, you should give it a try.

@Underkex   Reminds me of Daft Punk - Tron Derezzed 
https://youtu.be/M4dUiBfMQVU?t=15s

JZStudios said:
KickUp said:
789ifyz said:

@KickUp

Thank you, got a copy.

Wow it really is fantastic, brilliant job by you and your team. Definitely continue to support this. Hoping to see the VR logo on Dirt 4 too.

picture of my collection, sorry I cannot seem to add the picture.

https://flic.kr/p/S4gBxC

Done-o! @enginebuild 

That's an awesome setup - thank you for your 4x support
That's completely unnecessary! Who needs a full form carbon/fiberglas/kevlar bucket seat for sim racing? And no I'm just saying it out of jealousy... just for curiosity where do you guys get those?
Alf72 said:
KevM said:
No over-promising and under-delivering.

This kind of transparency is good for everyone

Exactly.

Off-topic. Wow... this still going? I thought it was "dead"

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=772533407

Heehee, the thing I like is it's presumably a smaller group than the Kunos team, but they have full daytime transitions, better smoke, and HEADLIGHTS. I can't believe in 2017 people still can't race at night. I'm playing Deus Ex and even that has a light... granted it's pretty crap, but for 1999 it's not bad.

@JZStudios

After 5 years they either need replacing or returning to the manufacturer for an inspection and you get a 2 year extension. I would imagine there are lots of seats gathering dust as they can no longer be used in competition. Mine came from a friends rallycar.  

Steve

@KickUp  I don't think this one was asked anywhere.

Is there any chance DiRT 4 will also be ported to Linux like DR is in march? If there is - is this a far future plan like DR or maybe a closer one? 

I imagine it will be £39.99 for us here in the UK on Steam, seems to be the standard price for big AAA releases at the moment. Hoping its lower though, I remember when they were £29.99 sometimes ;)

I imagine it will be £39.99 for us here in the UK on Steam, seems to be the standard price for big AAA releases at the moment. Hoping its lower though, I remember when they were £29.99 sometimes ;)
I remember when all this was fields... wait what?

juu1ius said:
https://www.g2a.com/dirt-4-preorder-steam-cd-key-global.html pre-order 48.99€  :D
Just please don't EVER buy from g2a.com. It's one big scam. Keys are obtained by creditcard fraud and resold for a fraction of the price, because they make 100% profit on their sale price anyway.

urgaffel said:
I remember when all this was fields... wait what?
"During the war..."