F1 2020 | KNOWN KEY ISSUES | READ ME!!! Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

juu1ius said:
https://www.g2a.com/dirt-4-preorder-steam-cd-key-global.html pre-order 48.99€  :D
Just please don't EVER buy from g2a.com. It's one big scam. Keys are obtained by creditcard fraud and resold for a fraction of the price, because they make 100% profit on their sale price anyway.
I used to buy keys from these sorts of sides because they were so cheap and 95% of them were fine (on my end), I bought maybe 2-3 keys from G2A in the past but stopped 3-4 years ago when I got a notification on Steam about my copy of Saints Row 4 had been revoked due to the code being acquired by illegal purposes, I emailed them and they gave me a new code but I didn't risk it and instead rebought it on a Steam sale instead. Never touched these sites since then, think the other one I used was Kinguin or something?

tbtstt said:
Clutch is on L1 and, when I'm using manual gears, I put the gear change on the triggers. As I was learning on the day though, I stuck with auto. 
I'm using this control scheme:

Works fine for me if I can't use a wheel.
Shouldn't the gears be the other way round? On a sequential box pulling the stick back is an upshift and pushing in forwards is a downshift

Didzis said:
tbtstt said:
Clutch is on L1 and, when I'm using manual gears, I put the gear change on the triggers. As I was learning on the day though, I stuck with auto. 
I'm using this control scheme:

Works fine for me if I can't use a wheel.
Shouldn't the gears be the other way round? On a sequential box pulling the stick back is an upshift and pushing in forwards is a downshift
While I agree that is true, I think that would feel a little odd on a controller. Haven't used a controller much though for games with a manual gearbox

Didzis said:
Sure, but it's just the example of my control scheme. Who cares about such things while playing with gamepad, anyway?

By the way, when I'm playing with wheel (G27), I use clutch pedal as a handbrake. How about that? :D

I use X (square) as upshift and A (x) as downshift. B (circle) is my handbrake, and triggers are accelerating and braking. I hate using A and X as accelerator and brake!

I use X (square) as upshift and A (x) as downshift. B (circle) is my handbrake, and triggers are accelerating and braking. I hate using A and X as accelerator and brake!
Kids these days. Got no idea what real controller action is all about...

tbtstt said:
It IS an age thing, I cant use triggers for accel. brake, probably from years of Gran Turismo

Its X Square Circle all the way, my head still cant adjust to anything different! :)

Dualshock 4 dropped pressure sensitivity (analog) for all buttons except L2 and R2. I don't know why you want to use circles and squares like you did before in GT.

Dualshock 4 dropped pressure sensitivity (analog) for all buttons except L2 and R2. I don't know why you want to use circles and squares like you did before in GT.
As I have said, I just cant re-program my head after all these years.  Nor do I need to, I use a wheel now.  I dont drive my car with my thumbs afterall!  :)

tbtstt said:
I may be leaving you as a fellow controller peasant soon, it's just too tempting!

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/computer-accessories/game-controllers-and-joysticks/logitech-driving-force-g920-xbox-one-pc-racing-wheel-pedals-black-10136487-pdt.html?store=2446&cmpid=ppc~gg~(PLA)-LOCAL~~Exact&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=mwxqplllw&istBid=t&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~1016+%28PLA%29+PC+GAMING~1016+%28PLA%29+PC+GAMING+ad+group~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&s_kwcid=DS!700000001494869!152356035074!!!g!!PRODUCT+GROUP&device=m&ds_kids=92700017599613705&PLA=1&gclid=CPjjpuLoodICFdM-GwodSuQICg&gclsrc=ds&dclid=COXCwOLoodICFUmB7QodJfYHLA

Edit: not sure what's going on with that link!

tbtstt said:
I may be leaving you as a fellow controller peasant soon, it's just too tempting!

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/computer-accessories/game-controllers-and-joysticks/logitech-driving-force-g920-xbox-one-pc-racing-wheel-pedals-black-10136487-pdt.html?store=2446&cmpid=ppc~gg~(PLA)-LOCAL~~Exact&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=mwxqplllw&istBid=t&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~1016+%28PLA%29+PC+GAMING~1016+%28PLA%29+PC+GAMING+ad+group~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&s_kwcid=DS!700000001494869!152356035074!!!g!!PRODUCT+GROUP&device=m&ds_kids=92700017599613705&PLA=1&gclid=CPjjpuLoodICFdM-GwodSuQICg&gclsrc=ds&dclid=COXCwOLoodICFUmB7QodJfYHLA

Edit: not sure what's going on with that link!
Literally thee best £150 you'll ever spend. Unless you are in Amsterdam - then its debatable... lol

@tbtstt @KevM That's interesting that you guys prefer buttons for gas/brake. I have very little experience with Playstation controllers, so I don't know what the triggers are like, but on a 360/Xbone controller the triggers have long travel and give you really great fine control. I never had consoles growing up, it was always PC for me, I started with a keyboard (don't know how I ever managed that) and got a 360 pad when I started playing more racing games. I've heard that the buttons on dualshocks are sort of pressure sensitive, is that true? On a 360 pad there's no way you'd have any fine control using the buttons for gas/brake, they're just on/off.

Exactly why I prefer triggers, buttons are only ever full throttle or none. Triggers allow you some finesse. But there's no need for the for me any more, as call me £150 lighter and one wheel richer!

Oh, & iv never owned a PS4, just everything previous, so if what you are saying is the case, iv always had analog buttons?

I went from keyboard to a pad (briefly) then I got my first wheel on PC, shortly after that I got one for my 360.I was never very good with a pad so I have lots of respect for those that do use a pad, no matter if they use buttons or triggers. 

For immersion and the sake of control(in my case) there no other way but using a wheel for me.You won't regret your purchase.

BadD0g said:
I've heard that the buttons on dualshocks are sort of pressure sensitive, is that true?
Yep, dualshock 2 and 3 had pressure sensitive buttons. I guess this feature wasn't so popular or it did cost more, so sony got rid of it in ds4.

KevM said:
Oh, & iv never owned a PS4, just everything previous, so if what you are saying is the case, iv always had analog buttons?

Except dualshock 1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DualShock

I'm alright with a pad, I can win quite easily on the hardest difficulty. However Project cars is currently free on Xbox live, and I'm finding it impossible to play on a controller. Think that just goes to show how well codemasters did dirt rally though! Looking forward to setting my wheel up tomorrow!

DR's controller feel is better than any other racing game I've ever played. I truly feel like I'm not at a major disadvantage compared to people with wheels, if I'm slower it's almost always my fault, not an input device limitation. That's not an easy thing to pull off in game as realistic as this.

However Project cars is currently free on Xbox live, and I'm finding it impossible to play on a controller. Think that just goes to show how well codemasters did dirt rally though! Looking forward to setting my wheel up tomorrow!
I couldn't agree more. I just can't play project cars or assetto corsa with a pad, can't feel car at all. This is why I think DiRT Rally is the best racing game on PS4 at the moment. Don't forget about solid 60 fps.

I think dirt is definitely faster on a wheel than a pad. But it's certainly incredibly playable. Project cars just seems impossible without assists. As soon as the car starts to slide it's just impossible to control effeciently/at all. And I really don't want to play it with assists

I haven't had much trouble with a gamepad in Project CARS with no assists. Some cars are worse than others, but overall it was a pretty good experience with a gamepad. RaceRoom is even better with a gamepad. Codemasters have always been really good with pads obviously, and Dirt Rally is no exception—throwing the car in with a flick of the thumbstick, then steering through the corner by feathering the gas and brake on the triggers. I'd get a wheel if I could but I can't, so praise racing devs who support gamepads well.

RodgerDavies said: 
Well, I just had a chat with Paul about R5s and, while no specifics were given, he did say that, perhaps, they were missing some good ones. Now, there are only 5 R5 cars making their rounds on international championships out there, so I think we aren't getting 4 cars but rather just 3. My bet is:

- Ford Fiesta R5 (obviously)
- Peugeot 208 R5 (don't know how much we can trust the guy from Race Department)
- Hyundai i20 R5

My preferred bet would be:
- Ford Fiesta R5
- Peugeot 208 R5
- Skoda Fabia R5

Let's speculate on those.

Hmm, will be a bit disappointing if there's no Skoda to be honest, R5 is a bit of a Ford v Skoda battle at the moment. I was hoping the three would be Peugeot, Ford and Hyundai, with the fourth they were apparently pursuing being the Skoda, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

If one of them is the Mirage/Space Star it would be nice, but not at the expense of the others.

And if they're doing DLC by the end of the year, the new Polo could be a nice addition too...
I have always had this belief that modern Skoda's are pretty hard to licence. When was the last time you saw a skoda in a game outside the WRC games? The last I remember was Sega Rally online arcade back in 2011

Agreed, it does seem to be that way. Would be crazy if they are difficult; the whole point of their rally programme was to give themselves a more sporty image than their traditional one, so I never understood why they seemed so intent on hiding their rally cars from gaming. Hopefully CM can pull something out of the bag!
I have a lot of experience in working with Skoda's PR and marketing departments (I work in an automotive magazine), an boy, they are picky and demanding compared to other carmakers. In my country you need an authorization for the interview. Sometimes Skoda "improves" ONE sentence 10 times or more. If you want to organize an event with them prepare for the Great Battle of Every Detail. I guess that can be part of the problem with licensing.