DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

All this talk about controllers and you've all missed some gossip. Tut tut. 
Horsey at Dirtfish?

You doing an interview about facial hair? lol

https://www.amazon.fr/Koch-International-Dirt-4/dp/B06WD7Y8L1/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=133-21&linkId=a55891676fbeb41bbab268ba2893aab9 ?

Guessing not that...

You guys remember Tourist Trophy on PS2?  The only way i could play that was by learning to use the right stick to accelerate and brake, with gears on L2 and R2.
It took some getting used to, but ever since that game Ive been using that setup on every racing game that allows it. 

You guys remember Tourist Trophy on PS2?  The only way i could play that was by learning to use the right stick to accelerate and brake, with gears on L2 and R2.
It took some getting used to, but ever since that game Ive been using that setup on every racing game that allows it. 

I've used a pad this way when I've needed to since analogue sticks were a thing. Keep meaning to try the shoulder trigger method but never gotten around to it.

** Caution **  Time to whine about replays   **Caution **

After all we know about D4 and replays, it sounds like it is getting a little better than DR.  

The one thing that I just plain hate is the switch to internal from a spectator view with most crashes.   Why does this happen, and with improved, well crashes in D4, I hope the switching will no longer happen.  Seems to have been around since D2.  If I have missed something after all this time, please correct me.  

Just thought I would vent after playing DR today.  Looking forward to D4 no matter what happens :)  

Azoresst said:
https://twitter.com/rallycameraman/status/834160987305553920

;) 
@Rallycameraman  Its going to take more than a shave, Luke.   There is a reason that you are BEHIND a camera :)  :)  :) 

gfRally said:
Azoresst said:

;) 
@Rallycameraman  Its going to take more than a shave, Luke.   There is a reason that you are BEHIND a camera :)  :)  :) 
What's wrong with a beard? Mine is huge and I look amazing.

Azoresst said:

;) 
Pfff, that's not gossip, he's just trying to plug his Twitter account. I ain't falling for that one!

I don't see it mentioned anywhere yet but I found something interesting: gRally.
I had my eye on this a while back but lost sight of it because nothing much was published about it. Now however there was an announcement that they released it on Steam Greenlight. It's being developed by the Italian rbr-online team in their spare time. I hope they can release the finished product eventually. It's basically RBR 2.0. The more rally simulators the merrier, I'd say.

Here's the article:
http://www.isrtv.com/grally/new-grally-terrain-simulator-now-steam-greenlight/

I've used a pad this way when I've needed to since analogue sticks were a thing. Keep meaning to try the shoulder trigger method but never gotten around to it.
I have a friend who uses the right stick to accelerate/brake too, coming from RC cars. But how do you left-foot brake with that? I don't know if I'd survive a Finnish stage using the right stick.

@KickUp I just thought of this while playing today: Can we have a neutral lockout option for manual sequential mode? I imagine that shouldn't be too difficult to add, even post-launch if you don't have the time before release, just an option that disables neutral when in motion. I think RBR had it but I don't remember. That should make coming into hairpins and such a bit easier. We won't have to take our eyes off the road, just hammer through the gears until it stops at first. No need to worry about missing first and going into neutral.

BadD0g said:
@KickUp I just thought of this while playing today: Can we have a neutral lockout option for manual sequential mode? I imagine that shouldn't be too difficult to add, even post-launch if you don't have the time before release, just an option that disables neutral when in motion. I think RBR had it but I don't remember. That should make coming into hairpins and such a bit easier. We won't have to take our eyes off the road, just hammer through the gears until it stops at first. No need to worry about missing first and going into neutral.
You can always hold down the down shifter and it will drop to 1st.  Granted sometimes it is nicer to step down the gears with the speed.

I'm aware of that, but yeah I do like to drop through the gears, it's a little easier to control that way. It's not often an issue, but it's really annoying when it happens, and should be easy to correct with that option.

BadD0g said:
I'm aware of that, but yeah I do like to drop through the gears, it's a little easier to control that way. It's not often an issue, but it's really annoying when it happens, and should be easy to correct with that option.
Oh, definitely would be a nice option.  And you're right it was in RBR.

KevM said:
tbtstt said:
I use X (square) as upshift and A (x) as downshift. B (circle) is my handbrake, and triggers are accelerating and braking. I hate using A and X as accelerator and brake!
Kids these days. Got no idea what real controller action is all about...
I may be leaving you as a fellow controller peasant soon, it's just too tempting!

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/computer-accessories/game-controllers-and-joysticks/logitech-driving-force-g920-xbox-one-pc-racing-wheel-pedals-black-10136487-pdt.html?store=2446&cmpid=ppc~gg~(PLA)-LOCAL~~Exact&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=mwxqplllw&istBid=t&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~1016+%28PLA%29+PC+GAMING~1016+%28PLA%29+PC+GAMING+ad+group~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&s_kwcid=DS!700000001494869!152356035074!!!g!!PRODUCT+GROUP&device=m&ds_kids=92700017599613705&PLA=1&gclid=CPjjpuLoodICFdM-GwodSuQICg&gclsrc=ds&dclid=COXCwOLoodICFUmB7QodJfYHLA

Edit: not sure what's going on with that link!
Literally thee best £150 you'll ever spend. Unless you are in Amsterdam - then its debatable... lol
I wonder where you're going with that.

Back when my friendo got his Xbone and Forza 5, I played it quite a bit and really liked the rumble triggers. Their quite accurate and let you know when wheelspin or brake locking is happening, and you can ease up until it goes away.
Also, other than GT the only game I know that used pressure sensitive face buttons was Metal Gear.

gfRally said:
Azoresst said:

;) 
What's wrong with a beard? Mine is huge and I look amazing.
We can't all look like this Pork.
httpimages05militarycommediapeoplejeffbridgesjpg

I don't see it mentioned anywhere yet but I found something interesting: gRally.
I had my eye on this a while back but lost sight of it because nothing much was published about it. Now however there was an announcement that they released it on Steam Greenlight. It's being developed by the Italian rbr-online team in their spare time. I hope they can release the finished product eventually. It's basically RBR 2.0. The more rally simulators the merrier, I'd say.

Here's the article:
http://www.isrtv.com/grally/new-grally-terrain-simulator-now-steam-greenlight/
gRally! I've been following their progress for years.

I hope they get funded. Fiat 131 Abarth...how could I not like it?

Azoresst said:

;) 
Road trip to Southam @Rallycameraman?

KevM said:
tbtstt said:
I use X (square) as upshift and A (x) as downshift. B (circle) is my handbrake, and triggers are accelerating and braking. I hate using A and X as accelerator and brake!
Kids these days. Got no idea what real controller action is all about...
It IS an age thing, I cant use triggers for accel. brake, probably from years of Gran Turismo

Its X Square Circle all the way, my head still cant adjust to anything different! :)
I'm actually quite glad to read that it's not just me @KevM! 
Dualshock 4 dropped pressure sensitivity (analog) for all buttons except L2 and R2. I don't know why you want to use circles and squares like you did before in GT.
Years of playing that way @SergeyTokarev.  I'm fine with the triggers for arcade racers, I just don't find them precise enough when I'm trying to be careful with the throttle. I didn't know they had dropped the analog buttons for the PS4 controller: might explain why I find the rear wheel drive cars such a handful!  :D
I think dirt is definitely faster on a wheel than a pad. But it's certainly incredibly playable.
I'd definitely agree with that @RallyDriven. A capable wheel driver is that little bit faster, but you can still be quick with the controller. As you say, it's possible to beat the highest difficulty level with the controller. 

Perhaps a question for @KickUp, but I wonder how they got such a good feel for the controllers. Are there are any significant changes (or hidden aids) for controller players? Does DR "soften" throttle/brake input for controller players even if all the assists are off? 
BadD0g said:
@tbtstt @KevM That's interesting that you guys prefer buttons for gas/brake. I have very little experience with Playstation controllers, so I don't know what the triggers are like, but on a 360/Xbone controller the triggers have long travel and give you really great fine control. I never had consoles growing up, it was always PC for me, I started with a keyboard (don't know how I ever managed that) and got a 360 pad when I started playing more racing games. 
Playing DiRT Rally with a keyboard would be truly impressive @BadD0g! I have tried with the XBox controllers and not really fared much better with those. 

When we did the day at Codemasters last year the controller (Xbox) was my biggest struggle of the day: there was a bug with the custom controller settings, so I stuck with the triggers to save time messing round. The London launch was the first time I was able to play D4 with "my" setup and it made it a lot easier to identify the new handling traits. 

@tbstt We have a lot of experience working with controllers as our primary input device so we know how to give the player the best feel from it.

Yes, in its default settings the controller does have some helpers on there but actually it is more with the steering than with the Throttle and Brake.
In DiRT 4 we've actually done some stuff in the simulation to simulate throttle input so that its less binary in the older historic cars.

To clarify though, if you want to play our games with a direct 1:1 input on pad you can. You just need to fiddle with the controller settings to get that.

@KickUp in Dirt 4 can we change our graphics at any point now ? this was infuriating if recording.as you couldnt do it after race. many people like to do this to record the replay. can this be changed or is it already the case ? thanks.

TT-fanboy #1 reporting here. I tried to accustom to a similar setup but it never clicked with me. It just felt awkward. Thankfully, analog buttons saved me. It's a shame that the Sony ditched it with the DS4. It would've helped a great deal with games such as MotoGP and RIDE.