DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

What do you use as handbrake? I've currently got it as B, but I can never seem to find it once the wheel isn't level
Try to use a clutch pedal.
I drive sequential but still like to have my clutch there for a big kick out of hairpins :)

KickUp said:

Azoresst said:
@KickUp can we expect mixed surfaces (Tarmac/Gravel) with "Your Stage"? 
Perhaps not Tarmac to Gravel but mixed surfaces will continue. 

Why not? It exists even tracks with mud, tarmac and gravel and so on. Whats wrong about having such mixes?
Also it makes the choice of the tyre type more interesting - please add tyre types (even Rally Racing 97 you could choose between many types of tyres.

Etirion said:
The maximum stage length in DiRT Rally was actually around 9km. So you've got another 9km of road to play with in one hit. 
What about the 16.2km stages in finland though and pikes peak
bogani said:
The maximum stage length in DiRT Rally was actually around 9km. So you've got another 9km of road to play with in one hit. 
I guess they refer to Pikes Peak? 

18km is good enough.
still too short!

Look how long real rally stages usually are:
https://www.ewrc-results.com/harmonogram.php?e=503&t=Network-Q-RAC-Rally-1995
12km is in real rally a short track.

I'm glad you were able to tell us what exists on tracks in the real world, non of us, especially the devs, knew any of that.

Also, i would imagine that RR 97 didn't have simulated tyres.

I've driven a real world stage that was less than 1 mile before, so... whilst I agree that it would be nice to have longer stages, it's not that unrealistic, and it's clearly a tech limitation otherwise I'm sure they would be longer

Sometimes I wonder if people even think of the amount of stuff that's loaded into the stages. They could probably have super long stages in the game vutbthen they probably have to remove pretty much everything else. There is a lot of code that needs to be loaded into car physics

I would be fine if they would be at least 20 to 25km (not all but some. A good mix like seen in the URL I posted in previous post.

But right now in DR a 12km track can be called a long one :smirk:

Additional to that, we have only 5 locations while the stages even are often not entirely new sections, rather you drive the exactly same areas again, with just a little bit alteration of the route you drive. A bit like in NFS Hot Pursuit 2 - a big place just splitted into different routes where you drive the same areas from an other route.

Also a bit more alteration of the surfaces would be nice.

In DR we have the complete track gravel. Even no tarmac, gravel mix. A tarmac gravel mix is a nice experience already been at rally racing 97. even better if you drive from mud to tarmac. In DR we even dont have mud :(
Will Dirt4 have MUD?

I'm glad you were able to tell us what exists on tracks in the real world, non of us, especially the devs, knew any of that.

Also, i would imagine that RR 97 didn't have simulated tyres.
At least the grip was different. You dont want to drive tyres for tarmac on mud.

Regarding the stage lengths, keep in mind that in the game there'll be a fictional R5 championship, so it's perfectly logical that the stages in it emulate neither real world roads nor conventional WRC stage lengths.

What do you use as handbrake? I've currently got it as B, but I can never seem to find it once the wheel isn't level
What kind of wheel do you have? I've got a DFGT, which has a sequential stick, I use that for gearshifts and have the left paddle as handbrake (and the right one as clutch). I have tried binding the handbrake on buttons before and even the big centre horn button (whic I now use to pause the game), but they were hard to find when driving. You could still mess up the sides with the paddles, but it's a lot less difficult to find when you need it, unlike the buttons

Before I bought a handbrake I used one of the buttons on the wheel base as a handbrake. Worked well :)

I have the H shifter on my right (which sounds wierd to other Brits but for some reason, it feels more normal) and I have the left paddle as the handbrake. Its the best way I've found to do it personally until I can work out a handbrake solution that fits on my desk lol

I have the H shifter on my right (which sounds wierd to other Brits but for some reason, it feels more normal) and I have the left paddle as the handbrake. Its the best way I've found to do it personally until I can work out a handbrake solution that fits on my desk lol
It feels more normal because it is more normal ;)

Shots fired! 

So this whole wheel thing is a lot of fun! Why didn't I do this ages ago?
Farewell @RallyDriven. You were a fine fellow controller player, now you're just another wheel snob... 

bogani said:
It feels more normal because it is more normal ;)

Shots fired! 
Its normal if you drive on the wrong side of the road or have an import  o:)

tbtstt said:
So this whole wheel thing is a lot of fun! Why didn't I do this ages ago?
Farewell @RallyDriven. You were a fine fellow controller player, now you're just another wheel snob... 
Wheel master race! Join the divine cult, you know it makes sense ;)

Just off for a 2nd day of testing. I am one lucky ba$tard! (Pls no hate)
- Wasn't going to hate. 
- Read the above post. 
- Now hating. 

Just off for a 2nd day of testing. I am one lucky ba$tard! (Pls no hate)
Insist they make it more slidey :D 

If you dont need a shower after an hour's testing, its not right!!!