DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

KevM said:
KevM said:
I know you can't say, but looking back at how it was in D3, I reckon Michigan could be the D4 Finland (& with slightly less jumps).  I don't see that as a negative at all, can't wait!
It does look very similar to Finland, but it is flatter in terms of jumps. There are crests but no real jumps. There's plenty of corners on crests to catch you out at 100mph though :p
And did you have a go at 'Simulation' mode @Rallycameraman ?
Yes I did. 

spothedog said:
human1101 said:
my wooden one cost me about $12 here is what it looks like, sadly cant embed images from google photos for some reason https://goo.gl/photos/RSkh69o7o8VaLPhV8 as you can see its had alot of use

So the handbrake can be plugged in to usb and doesn't need to be plugged into wheel base. Nice job on your handbrake looks good and the price is right  :#
Yes it has a arduino leonardo controlling it, which is overkill for the job but it was the only one i had at the time with built in HID, it uses a hall censor and a magnet to get analog feedback and a strong spring for tension, and yes it has its own usb cable, i have thought about making a metal one to replace it, but it works so well its very low on my list of priorities

KevM said:
KevM said:
I know you can't say, but looking back at how it was in D3, I reckon Michigan could be the D4 Finland (& with slightly less jumps).  I don't see that as a negative at all, can't wait!
It does look very similar to Finland, but it is flatter in terms of jumps. There are crests but no real jumps. There's plenty of corners on crests to catch you out at 100mph though :p
And did you have a go at 'Simulation' mode @Rallycameraman ?
Yes I did. 
I realised after I hit post, that it was a stupid question.  Of course you did!! lol

In all seriousness though, I wasn't there for fun and games I actually had a serious job to do, so it's a shame today got cut a little short.

I won't say too much about my time behind the wheel, but I will say that I think everyone will love the Michigan location. I know it got a bit of a slating when it was announced, but it's such a fast high speed location, it's a really intense but enjoyable challenge.

@Rallycameraman you know this makes me happy 

human1101 said:
spothedog said:
human1101 said:
my wooden one cost me about $12 here is what it looks like, sadly cant embed images from google photos for some reason https://goo.gl/photos/RSkh69o7o8VaLPhV8 as you can see its had alot of use

So the handbrake can be plugged in to usb and doesn't need to be plugged into wheel base. Nice job on your handbrake looks good and the price is right  :#
Yes it has a arduino leonardo controlling it, which is overkill for the job but it was the only one i had at the time with built in HID, it uses a hall censor and a magnet to get analog feedback and a strong spring for tension, and yes it has its own usb cable, i have thought about making a metal one to replace it, but it works so well its very low on my list of priorities

Ive never messed with Hall effect senors before, how do you have that setup?  Is it the closer the magnet to the sensor that gives the analog output?  I always thought it was just a on/off output.

nice work BTW

i may have to try that with a nano 

Yeah the closer the magnet is the more pressure it registers, there are other ways you can do it though

the magnet is mounted on the bottom of the handle and the sensor just out of range, when you pull the handbrake it moves the magnet over the sensor

In all seriousness though, I wasn't there for fun and games I actually had a serious job to do, so it's a shame today got cut a little short.

I won't say too much about my time behind the wheel, but I will say that I think everyone will love the Michigan location. I know it got a bit of a slating when it was announced, but it's such a fast high speed location, it's a really intense but enjoyable challenge.

I'll be honest that I wasn't thrilled by Michigan as a location when it was announced, but having read up on it recently it really does seem to be the centre of North American rallying (3 rounds of Rally America series are held there!). So, whilst there are more significant places in the rallying world, I concede that it does have its place. Footage from DiRT 3 put me off, but done seriously it could be excellent. Are you able to say if it's a summer or autumnal setting (hoping for the latter)?

Interestingly, the first round this year was in Michigan, won by a Mitsubishi Mirage that looks (but isn't) like a close relation of the R5.

Looking forward to seeing your interview (and whatever they were recording last week!).

I'll be honest that I wasn't thrilled by Michigan as a location when it was announced, but having read up on it recently it really does seem to be the centre of North American rallying (3 rounds of Rally America series are held there!). So, whilst there are more significant places in the rallying world, I concede that it does have its place. Footage from DiRT 3 put me off, but done seriously it could be excellent. Are you able to say if it's a summer or autumnal setting (hoping for the latter)?

Interestingly, the first round this year was in Michigan, won by a Mitsubishi Mirage that looks (but isn't) like a close relation of the R5.

Looking forward to seeing your interview (and whatever they were recording last week!).
The screenshots in the Dirt 4 road book show an autumn color palette.

Lake Superior Performance Rally is run in October, so it usually makes for some really nice scenery:

I have another Dirt 4 question @KickUp :D

Can wheel users get a sensitivity slider as well in control settings, pretty please? I'd hate to experience the same problems in Dirt 4 as I currently do in DR when wanting to drive... say the Alpine, the 205, or the RS200, and experience 30 degrees of rotation. It's awful. I'd just like the cars to make proper use of my 300 degrees of rotation.

I wrecked my wager daily because of this issue, and I almost never touch wagers. Waste of time and credits. Not that I really need credits, but that's not the point.

It really makes no sense why I'm even experiencing this, since most other cars make good use of my rotation. I've had people suggest that cars with high rotation in reality would act like this if they suddenly had 300 degrees of rotation, but that makes no sense as the Fiat with its 1080(?) degrees would then become undrivable, and it's one of the cars that feels amazing with my rotation.

I've also tried the linearity setting without much luck. It just makes the steering feel awkward, not really less sensitive. I'd blame it on my wheel, but I've had two G27's during the course of my Dirt Rally adventures, and I seriously doubt they're both faulty. I've obviously also unticked "allow the game to change settings" in my G27 options, of course.

There are a handful more individuals that experience these hypersensitive steering issues, but we're an extreme minority... unfortunately.

Allow to change settings by game can be enabled, at least for me. For the softlock option (which I dont use) it would be even necessary to have this ticked.

Your problem sounds a bit like the softlock option enabled, but if you dont allow the game to change settings it shouldnt matter if softlock on or off. But have you tried it with softlock off?

Allow to change settings by game can be enabled, at least for me. For the softlock option (which I dont use) it would be even necessary to have this ticked.

Your problem sounds a bit like the softlock option enabled, but if you dont allow the game to change settings it shouldnt matter if softlock on or off. But have you tried it with softlock off?
It was never on to begin with. I did try enabling it, but without luck.

@gfRally it's not funny, it ruins a whole lot of fun. :(

BadD0g said:

The screenshots in the Dirt 4 road book show an autumn color palette.

Lake Superior Performance Rally is run in October, so it usually makes for some really nice scenery:

I posted some videos back on page 779 if your interested too.

and here are the stage maps via rally-maps.com

https://www.rally-maps.com/Lake-Superior-Performance-Rally-LSPR-2015

Unfortunately this isn't one of the more unique locations in American rally.  There are a few that are more picturesque.  No matter Your Stage should put together some routes for us to race.  

@Rallycameraman btw: are the stages a little narrow?   I hope some are or can be with YS.  Are they even closet to the pick and videos we've posted?  

human1101 said:
spothedog said:
human1101 said:

Thanks for the info and the education on the hall sensor & magnet. I wasn't sure how that work either. 

It was never on to begin with. I did try enabling it, but without luck.

@gfRally it's not funny, it ruins a whole lot of fun. :(
[retracted] sorry bud, only laughed that you lost your wager.  No matter how jealous I am of your driving, it's no fun to be frustrated like you posted.  Hope you can get this worked out.  

RodgerDavies said:
I'll be honest that I wasn't thrilled by Michigan as a location when it was announced, but having read up on it recently it really does seem to be the centre of North American rallying (3 rounds of Rally America series are held there!). So, whilst there are more significant places in the rallying world, I concede that it does have its place. 
Well if you don't want our continent in rally games, you shouldn't have colonized us. :wink: Bring on some CRC rounds!

Can wheel users get a sensitivity slider as well in control settings, pretty please? I'd hate to experience the same problems in Dirt 4 as I currently do in DR when wanting to drive... say the Alpine, the 205, or the RS200, and experience 30 degrees of rotation. It's awful. I'd just like the cars to make proper use of my 300 degrees of rotation.

I wrecked my wager daily because of this issue, and I almost never touch wagers. Waste of time and credits. Not that I really need credits, but that's not the point.

It really makes no sense why I'm even experiencing this, since most other cars make good use of my rotation. I've had people suggest that cars with high rotation in reality would act like this if they suddenly had 300 degrees of rotation, but that makes no sense as the Fiat with its 1080(?) degrees would then become undrivable, and it's one of the cars that feels amazing with my rotation.

I've also tried the linearity setting without much luck. It just makes the steering feel awkward, not really less sensitive. I'd blame it on my wheel, but I've had two G27's during the course of my Dirt Rally adventures, and I seriously doubt they're both faulty. I've obviously also unticked "allow the game to change settings" in my G27 options, of course.

There are a handful more individuals that experience these hypersensitive steering issues, but we're an extreme minority... unfortunately.
Yes please! What Porky said.

I'd like to love the Alpine but the hyper-sensitive steering spoils my enjoyment.

cjl9 said:

Yes please! What Porky said.

I'd like to love the Alpine but the hyper-sensitive steering spoils my enjoyment.
You also use 300 degrees as Pork on a G27?

To me everything below 540 feels hyper sensitive but that's obviously as I'm used to run 900 with soft lock.

dwkGravey said:
RodgerDavies said:
I'll be honest that I wasn't thrilled by Michigan as a location when it was announced, but having read up on it recently it really does seem to be the centre of North American rallying (3 rounds of Rally America series are held there!). So, whilst there are more significant places in the rallying world, I concede that it does have its place. 
Well if you don't want our continent in rally games, you shouldn't have colonized us. :wink: Bring on some CRC rounds!

Is that a pic of Pacific Forest stages?

I suspect it is the fact that our cars have different chassis geometry setup, for example not all cars will have the same Ackermann. Also the angle that the wheels turn at will be different on different cars meaning that the steering wheel lock will not be providing identical feeling. 
Its the price we pay for not treating all our cars as the same chassis and then changing the numbers. We are changing our input settings so hopefully you'll get what you want in DiRT4. 

@KickUp I was wondering if there are going to be results filters so you can see how you went in say a daily or monthly against others in your region? and maybe a way to tag somebody who is better than you as your split if they have already done the event?

human1101 said:
@KickUp I was wondering if there are going to be results filters so you can see how you went in say a daily or monthly against others in your region? and maybe a way to tag somebody who is better than you as your split if they have already done the event?

It might be something we can do with RaceNet but I'm pretty sure that we won't be able to do it on the consoles due to restrictions.

dwkGravey said:
RodgerDavies said:

I want the CRC Rally Baie des Chaleurs in the game!

Or Better, the Maniwaki's Rally Perce-Neige (probably the most epic snow rally in north-america, in the province of Quebec appropriately enough)

@KickUp if you ever want photos or videos of road in these 2 rally, send me a dashcam and I will get them for you, no charge (except for the dashcam)