DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

KevM said:
Locking anything in game by hardware that isn't a graphical option is a stupid move (graphical stuff usually requires the specific hardware to even work). You're literally paying for the game and are denied the access to gameplay features because you don't have some piece of hardware that in many cases is more expensive than the consoles that can run the game...

Even Pay2Win ain't as stupid of an idea as that is.
Surely paying for a game that you know you don't have the hardware for, is the true definition of...

oh, never mind!  :D

@Hatward could possibly segregate the tiers based on view/assists?  Was there not an achievement unlock for manual interior no assists?
Isn't that like a "I am the 5%" tier?  

gfRally said:
KevM said:
Locking anything in game by hardware that isn't a graphical option is a stupid move (graphical stuff usually requires the specific hardware to even work). You're literally paying for the game and are denied the access to gameplay features because you don't have some piece of hardware that in many cases is more expensive than the consoles that can run the game...

Surely paying for a game that you know you don't have the hardware for, is the true definition of...

@Hatward could possibly segregate the tiers based on view/assists?  Was there not an achievement unlock for manual interior no assists?
Yep, I believe so.  I'm rethinking every habit iv had with this game now.  Even my wheel settings were 'built for speed'.  Iv reset them to default, made a couple of tweaks & the game feels even better - again!

on the Spam, I think 3 reports removes the thread automatically 

KevM said:
gfRally said:
KevM said:

Yep, I believe so.  I'm rethinking every habit iv had with this game now.  Even my wheel settings were 'built for speed'.  Iv reset them to default, made a couple of tweaks & the game feels even better - again!

Theres a load of them now though xD

KevM said:
gfRally said:
KevM said:

I am not the best at driving, but I keep the wheel rotation as close to real as possible, and never leave the inside view.  I have fun with my setup, its quite the workout steering.   I have fun this way, it makes it more of a simulator than a game.  It also gets very close to driving my car in the real world, I have the same fear of crashing if I don't slow down (i.e. financial loss), if that makes sense?  

I compete everyday for my job at work, I don't need to have that at home for entertainment, so I am quite happy being slow and getting down the stage without crashing.  If I see an improvement in my personal time over a stretch, thats awesome and satisfying.  

If you play against Pork and you have fun doing that, great, glad you are having fun too.  

I think if you want to be finite about tiers, then it might be best to create a league with the stipulations you impose.  I have joined a few where we are all using a wheel and other similar hardware, its mostly an honer system, but there is some back and forth stage wins amongst all the participants.  Its been a small niche group and we are all there to have fun, not extremely competitive.  Which brings to mind how incredible Your Stage (YS) is going to be with these types of play.   Everyone gets bored with the current stages, the owner runs out of ideas quickly since everyone knows the stage and participation therefore diminished quickly.  With YS the owners will be able to kick out a whole season that no one has ever seen before.

I'm personally all about the full realism, correct steering angles for cars and in-car view etc. It does frustrate me a little bit that I can't be beating the top drivers possibly because of this but I'm happy knowing how well I can do with them. Plus its a lot more fun having the full rotation

KevM said:
KickUp said:
He can pedal. Not sure about his gloves though  :D
You should consider disabling exterior cam & no less than 540degrees in the simulation no assists mode (I forget its planned name - Fearless?).  Why not suggest that the 'simulation' players actually enjoy the awesome detail?

And what is, if I would like to drive with simulation mode, no assists, but 200° rotation and frontbumper view?
I dont want to be forced to use Arcade Handling then  :D

Also I wondered a bit about Dirt Rally, why even frontbumper view counted as 0% bonus.
I think frontbumper and bonnet are still different from 3rd person view where you can see into every far away corner because of it's camera height.
So frontbumper and bonnet being at half of the cockpit bonus would be imo more fair compared to zero %.

Just checked Crest comparing my Daily time to the top time, his steering is full lock very fast most of the time so must be using a very small rotation whereas mine barely moves more than a 1/3 of the way so hes able to make much quicker corrections. Hes full throttle most of the time, I think if I did that I wouldn't be able to correct quick enough. That and I don't know the stage that well so 15th currently I'm ok with lol

KevM said:
KickUp said:
He can pedal. Not sure about his gloves though  :D
You should consider disabling exterior cam & no less than 540degrees in the simulation no assists mode (I forget its planned name - Fearless?).  Why not suggest that the 'simulation' players actually enjoy the awesome detail?

And what is, if I would like to drive with simulation mode, no assists, but 200° rotation and frontbumper view?
I dont want to be forced to use Arcade Handling then  :D

Also I wondered a bit about Dirt Rally, why even frontbumper view counted as 0% bonus.
I think frontbumper and bonnet are still different from 3rd person view where you can see into every far away corner because of it's camera height.
So frontbumper and bonnet being at half of the cockpit bonus would be imo more fair compared to zero %.
I agree, it should be in 3 levels. Third person, bonnet and bumper cam then in-car cam.

I have literally no idea what I'm doing with my wheel, don't know what half the feedback sliders do and I think I changed the rotation to about 720 but I haven't got a clue.

What I do know is its bloody good fun!

(and if I wasn't hungover and trying not to die/be sick, I'd be on it now!)

I have literally no idea what I'm doing with my wheel, don't know what half the feedback sliders do and I think I changed the rotation to about 720 but I haven't got a clue.

So its going well? :P

Need for Speed is no more under the Sponsor Section on EKS site... So maybe? :D 

I think Paul mentioned that it wasn't actually the NfS stuff that was the problem with licencing that particular vehicle. I'm not really into the RX stuff, but maybe it being a full Audi works programme this year will help.

Actually, is the game strictly the 2016 WRX season?

So its going well? :P
Definitely! I'm getting more used to it now and I'm getting faster!

And the Audi licence wasn't a problem with need for speed. Hopefully the Audi support may help resolve the issue, if it's not too late into development to get it into the game! Unsure whether it's 16 or 17 content, will probably be 16 I guess

Need for Speed is no more under the Sponsor Section on EKS site... So maybe? :D 

I think Paul mentioned that it wasn't actually the NfS stuff that was the problem with licencing that particular vehicle. I'm not really into the RX stuff, but maybe it being a full Audi works programme this year will help.

Actually, is the game strictly the 2016 WRX season?
Ahh ok, good to know :)

I meant to PM you.  As you've maybe read, I have re-thought my settings more for fun than competition.

So scrap my settings for feedback, put Everything to 100% except collision & suspension , I have them at 60% to reduce clipping - & Enjoy the awesome!

Hell, I might even go back to soft-lock, this 037 is awesome fun!!  

Run now uploaded 
http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/6210/show-off-your-replays#latest

KevM said:

I meant to PM you.  As you've maybe read, I have re-thought my settings more for fun than competition.

So scrap my settings for feedback, put Everything to 100% except collision & suspension , I have them at 60% to reduce clipping - & Enjoy the awesome!

Run now uploaded 
Not sure about the G27, but 100 Self Aligning Tourque is waaaay too much and it just gets silly. The T500 is a great deal stronger though.

bogani said:
KevM said:

Run now uploaded 
Not sure about the G27, but 100 Self Aligning Tourque is waaaay too much and it just gets silly. The T500 is a great deal stronger though.
For me, Self Aligning Torque is the most important wheel setting DiRT Rally has.  I'm on XB1, which for some reason, is fairly different to the PC in wheel setup.  The Xbox is nearly fine straight out the box, I just toned the 'rattle' down a bit.

Im definitely trying full Softlock rotation this evening with the 037.  :)

self aligning tourque is the worst thing in the game lol.

set it as low as possible. also forcing people to play rotations or whatever just forget it.drive how you want thats all that matters.no persons way is better.only what works for you.

dgeesi0 said:
That's what gives the actual feedback. The worst of them is wheel weight, it just makes it hard to turn the wheel (just unnecessary strain on the motor) :D 

KevM said:
bogani said:
KevM said:

Run now uploaded 
For me, Self Aligning Torque is the most important wheel setting DiRT Rally has.  I'm on XB1, which for some reason, is fairly different to the PC in wheel setup.  The Xbox is nearly fine straight out the box, I just toned the 'rattle' down a bit.

Im definitely trying full Softlock rotation this evening with the 037.  :)
It's def important, but set too high the wheel pulls wildly too the left and right way too violently. Mine is set to 45-60. There is big differences in different wheels though so it's hard to compare.

I've done some experimenting with FFB lately and imo FFB is the biggest issue with tarmac. There is basically zero SAT on tarmac. Forces builds up some when cornering but it behaves very very strange.

dgeesi0 said:

set it as low as possible. also forcing people to play rotations or whatever just forget it.drive how you want thats all that matters.no persons way is better.only what works for you.

It's not that it's a better way, it's just more enjoyable!  We have a great Rally driving simulator & with a controller choice & few clicks in the options, we can literally turn it into a radio controlled car game.

Everyone talks about the Codemasters 'bean counters' being the killjoys, but if you are arguing against playing the game outside of what would be considered accurate perimeters, your another bean!  Im not having a go, Iv did it myself.  In-game options aren't there to improve authenticity, they're only to broaden the customer base!

Seems Authenticity in its purest, doesn't sell (millions of) Rally games :(

But clever scoring and relevant tiering could make D4 competition work for everyone.  Just think, if you start to excel/get stale using a certain view and/or assists and fancy a new challenge, you could try a different set of options and be racing a completely different set of users who are setting more relevant times

@Hatward, do your thing! :)

its preference.everyone feels differently.doesnt matter what settings you use its a game.its meant to be enjoyed.900 or 200 doesnt matter.

dgeesi0 said:
its preference.everyone feels differently.doesnt matter what settings you use its a game.its meant to be enjoyed.900 or 200 doesnt matter.
Not disagreeing, but it'd be great to be racing like-for-like players

If anyone wants a challenge, try and drive the 037 with no brakes through a stage. I did so by accident, I tried to bind my logitech flight stick as a handbrake, this for some reason stopped my brake from working but I only found out after i restarted the stage. I didn't remember the brakes being that bad on it and only having to rely on engine braking. 

Also didn't help I was practicing heel-toe and thought I was just awful at it.