DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT Rally Games

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Whatever you think about Milestone, their licensing team are on point, here's a quote: "Gravel features more than 50 of the best offroad vehicles ever created. We basically have the finest selection of cars from the ‘70s to 2017, including Group B rally cars, American trophy trucks, cross-country vehicles, rallycross cars, Group S prototypes, some brand-new vehicles such as the 2017 Abarth 124 and legendary brands such as Ford, Lancia, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Renault, Chevrolet, BMW and many more. And let me show off a little bit; we also got Porsche! When they said “yes” after reading the game design documents, it felt like Christmas day."

http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331847214461/gravel-milestone-interview

Whatever you think about Milestone, their licensing team are on point, here's a quote: "Gravel features more than 50 of the best offroad vehicles ever created. We basically have the finest selection of cars from the ‘70s to 2017, including Group B rally cars, American trophy trucks, cross-country vehicles, rallycross cars, Group S prototypes, some brand-new vehicles such as the 2017 Abarth 124 and legendary brands such as Ford, Lancia, Mitsubishi, Subaru, Renault, Chevrolet, BMW and many more. And let me show off a little bit; we also got Porsche! When they said “yes” after reading the game design documents, it felt like Christmas day."

http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331847214461/gravel-milestone-interview
Porsche?  I would take a guess there is no damage model.

gfRally said:

Porsche?  I would take a guess there is no damage model.
What an insult to Porsche...  It'll look like a deformed Beetle & drive like a wheel-barrow lol

KevM said:
What an insult to Porsche...  It'll look like a deformed Beetle & drive like a wheel-barrow lol
I agree. But not just Porsche. Any car manufacturer should be ashamed for giving their license to such studio.
Also, their sound design in SLRE was terrible. I don't expect it to be better in GRAVEL.

The Celica gets bashed up in the gameplay video from Videogamer, but not as much as a DIRT car does, heh. Then again, it's sim-cade.

The Celica gets bashed up in the gameplay video from Videogamer, but not as much as a DIRT car does, heh. Then again, it's sim-cade.
Just on that...

I think it was mentioned that D4 would have improved damage model.  Is that something we can expect @KickUp ?  We've seen a few unscathed accidents in the tease videos.  Will it ramp up damage as you ramp up the difficulty, with more punishing simulation damage in Fearless mode etc?

Correct me if I'm wrong but are licences harder to get for Dirt than something like Gravel because the damage model is more in depth? Its something I've pondered as its pretty much universal that CM make better rally games than people like Milestone but everyone seems to have an easier time of getting licences

It will all depend on the game I suppose. It could be that it's easier for Gravel to get a WRC17 car because the game isn't activly competing with the WRC games.

Correct me if I'm wrong but are licences harder to get for Dirt than something like Gravel because the damage model is more in depth? Its something I've pondered as its pretty much universal that CM make better rally games than people like Milestone but everyone seems to have an easier time of getting licences
It is one of the main reasons.
Second is how much many you are wiling to put on table for it.

Codies don't have to get greatest cars because they're best in other parts of the game which ones are taking that time and money which could be spent on licences. 
Milky milk but you get what I mean.

Wonder if that means there will be no seb loeb rally 2?

There's a new roadbook out focussing on landrush. I can confirm that sliding the rear wheel drive trucks around baja was insanely good fun!

Wonder if that means there will be no seb loeb rally 2?

There's a new roadbook out focussing on landrush. I can confirm that sliding the rear wheel drive trucks around baja was insanely good fun!
Can confirm, its a shame we can't take them on the rally stages though. That would have been a challenge and a half

@KickUp Not sure if this has been asked yet. Will the tuning sliders be like it is in Dirt Rally or will there be reference points through out the range of adjustment.

I am guessing Rally Raid will come down the road, @KickUp mentioned something about needing to Perfect sand or something.  So it sounds like in D5 maybe well get Baja 500 type of event with your stage and a Navigator (different from codriver).  Im sure it will be amazing then.

spothedog said:
@KickUp Not sure if this has been asked yet. Will the tuning sliders be like it is in Dirt Rally or will there be reference points through out the range of adjustment.

I would also like a more true to life based setup numbers.

Are the R5 cars allowed to change any gear ratios IRL or are they restricted?

https://youtu.be/lagojy5I82g
Around 8:30 in linked video.  Gravel's damage model actually seems pretty decent. Those flapping bumpers and breaking carbon fibre look quite realistic. 

Sleeping with medication is always interesting. Dreamed there is a Demo of DiRT4 with an Australien Stage and the Peugeot 307 WRC :D 
I had a dream my friend was chasing me with a shotgun.
He had a dream I was in his studio kicking the snot out of his drums.

I'm now even more exited, I've driven speedcare xtreme IRL and these are friking aewsome! 750ccm high revving bike engine, does ~3s 0-100km/h, can't wait!

Bluestig said:
https://youtu.be/lagojy5I82g
Around 8:30 in linked video.  Gravel's damage model actually seems pretty decent. Those flapping bumpers and breaking carbon fibre look quite realistic. 

After watching this vídeo, i can't stop thinking the new IP Evo guys are working, is a new MotorStorm.

That it would be sooooooo great :D

"  What made you want to try an offroad game?

We took this decision for several reasons. First of all, there are currently a lot of good rally games already available, so we didn’t want to saturate the market. "

LOLOL saturate the market my *** More like:

" Well, you know... When it comes to loose surface Games, CodeMasters " are the man ", we can't achieve the awesomeness of DiRT Rally, and we heard they gonna release an even better, more fleshed out Rally/Off-Road game so, since we can't compete against them, we gonna try our chances against Playground/ Turn 10 " :p

I know hating on Milestone is cool, but I think the concept of Gravel looks great. I love open world driving games and I love desert racing, so I am happy to have a game that tries to fill that niche. I think it is a lot better direction for them than their rally games.

Horizon 3 scratched that itch for me a bit, but the off road physics of that game is seriously lacking compared to how great the rest of the game is.

enamel said:
I know hating on Milestone is cool
Hey, I hate them because they're making unpolished games, lacking of quality and post-release support. Not because it's 'cool' to hate them.

enamel said:
I know hating on Milestone is cool
Hey, I hate them because they're making unpolished games, lacking of quality and post-release support. Not because it's 'cool' to hate them.
You forgot to mention that their games are riddled with bugs. Whoever is in charge of signing off on things that are finalised, should clearly be replaced by someone who knows what to do and isn't afraid of smacking the back of employees heads when they present, what in their eyes would be, a finished and polished part of the game. "...., you idiot! What were you thinking! 10 minute time-out for you! Think about what you've done!"

IMO as long as Gravel doesn't take itself seriously and acknowledges it's an arcade game, I'm totally fine with it. As for Milestone as a whole, we all must recognize their WRC games were miles ahead of Kylotonn's efforts (which, while still really subpar, are steadily improving every year).